PDA

View Full Version : GPS Map upgrade comments and questions

Darrell KSR
03-22-2013, 10:50 PM
My favorite GPS is the one on my phone, Google Navigation, by far the best I've ever had. I have owned Tom-tom, Navigon, Magellan, and Garmin. But my phone is always "iffy," and I'm usually using it for something else, and, doggone it, they just don't make phone screens as large as they used to (cough cough).

So I use a Magellan 1700 that my wife bought for me a couple of years ago with a 7" screen. Large enough I don't have to squint for numbers, addresses, highways, etc. But the maps are outdated, and I went to look for a map upgrade. They make one with a lifetime map subscription, but of course, that's not the one I have.

I don't know what I was expecting, but the first price I saw was $99.99 for a "lifetime" subscription. Heck, I may break the GPS any day, and you can probably find the thing for about that price new.

There are two others--and I'm not sure what the difference is between them, but one is $79.99 that looks like that one I would need that says it is a one year "subscription" enabling up to 4 upgrades in one year (but no more) and it says it has the "Latest Freeways, Highways, Major Road and Local Streets, New and Updated Points of Interests (POI)."

Then finally there's a $49.99 upgrade that just says it's the latest maps. Maybe that would be good enough for me. I still think that's too high, but I guess I'm just out of the loop.

Darrell KSR
03-22-2013, 10:59 PM
By the way, the Magellan is the *worst* GPS I have owned in terms of reliability. It is not that unusual for it to be several tenths of a mile off, and has missed streets and roads, too. Cannot be used just with battery (30 minute battery life), which stinks if you blow a fuse or something on your adapter.

Only thing I like about it is the 7" screen. That makes me tolerate the rest.

Darrell KSR
03-22-2013, 11:07 PM
OK, I'm not upgrading tonight, but found a AAA discount of 40% on Magellan map upgrades. If the $49.99 one is for me, I can get it for $30. I'll pay that.

But now I need some guidance.

Why is the $49.99 annual subscription, allowing 4 upgrades in a year, cheaper than the one-time $79.99 one? (I understand why it's cheaper than the $99.99 lifetime subscription, but I don't get why you'd buy the $79.99 one).

Anybody know?

Here is the page for the map upgrades:

http://www.magellangps.com/Maps/Maps-Result?item=842

PedroDaGr8
03-23-2013, 10:49 AM
I know you are asking for details about map upgrades, I'm going to completely not answer your question and propose an alternative.

You mention your 7" Magellan

I propose to you:

A Google Nexus 7 (https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_16_GB?id=nexus_7_16gb&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImRldmljZ S1uZXh1c183XzE2Z2IiXQ..)

Ditch the single use device which you find sub-par and use this instead. Truthfully, I remember you thinking about buying a tablet a while back. Not sure if you did or not. If you didn't then look into this. Yeah, its a more than $99 but you get your preferred GPS method, FULL tablet functionality AND all in a seven inch screen. Basically, you use your phone to provide internet access for the tablet and boom you are good to go.

suncat05
03-24-2013, 04:48 PM
My wife has the Google navigation app on her phone, and she loves it. She's a mapper with the Property Appraiser's Office, she says that's what they use.
I have a Tom-Tom, and when needed it always gets me where I have to go.

Darrell KSR
03-24-2013, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't go that route, Pedro. Not a big fan of leaving a tablet in a car like I do GPS, and wouldn't want to bring it in and out of the car all the time. Internet wireless hotspot is also not 100%, and need better reliability from GPS than that.

I do have the Blackberry Playbook tablet, and its GPS works well, but wouldn't want to use it for that.

Suncat, google navigation > all other GPS to me. I just don't want to use it on my phone (although I do in a pinch, and I do sometimes as a backup to doublecheck the main GPS).

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

dan_bgblue
07-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Hope you did not get the one she has (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/29/car-nearly-ends-up-vertical-after-driver-swerves-ferociously-in-response-to-gps.html)

:4chsmu1:

badrose
07-31-2016, 10:25 PM
Hope you did not get the one she has (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/29/car-nearly-ends-up-vertical-after-driver-swerves-ferociously-in-response-to-gps.html)

:4chsmu1:

Impressive balancing act.