PDA

View Full Version : Bummer, my grandmother passed away tonight

Doc
09-03-2012, 07:51 PM
not unexpected as she was due to turn 98 in December. They finally diagosed with with liver, pancreatic and adrenal cancer on Sat. She had been rather sick for about 6 months, bleeding from her GI tract etc....Idiots in New York diagnosed her with everything from coagulapathies from long term anti-inflammatories to GI ulcers (stomach, last week it was an ileal ulcer which is the last part of her small intestine). Can't figure out why with these cool machines we have called MRI and CT scans, they could not figure it out. Same thing happened with my uncle who had stomach cancer. They took him into surgery, opened him up and basically said "uh-oh" , closed him up. He died 2 months later. Moral of the story is 1) never get sick in Auburn New York and 2) look after your own health (both relied on the federal gov't to provide for their health care).

Anyway, not unexpected. I had planned on going up in 2 weekends to say my goodbyes but events this weekend made me bump that up so I'm headed to Ithaca NY via Philly on Wed. I hadn't seen her in several years (I'd estimate about 5 years now) but as a kid she was very important to me. Usually I get pretty depressed when somebody dies but I'm not overly affected this time however I do feel bad for my mother. My parents have been doing what they can to help care for her along with my aunt who is in her mid 70's herself. Aunt lived up the road so most of the stuff fell on her shoulders (she was married to the uncle who died above). Interesting story about my uncle. Long time Syracuse fan. Followed them like most of us do UK. Well he died on March 1st, 2003. Syracuse won the title that year but I always felt he knew even though it was after his death.

Oh, well....enough of the bummer.............wish me a safe trip as I have to fly one of those turbo prop crop duster planes from Philly to Ithaca. They always make me nervous. Plus I expect a bit of a family reunion. For most families that is good. Not mine but that is the topic for a whole nother thread!

UKFlounder
09-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Sorry to hear the news. Grandparents are truly special people.

Best wishes in your travels

Darrell KSR
09-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Safe travels, Doc. I am glad your grandmother lived a long life, but I know many will miss her and I am sorry for her passing.

DanISSELisdaman
09-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Sorry to hear this Doc! Here's hoping for a safe journey for you.

Lfbj00
09-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Sorry for your loss Doc. I miss my Grandpa every day. He was the closest person to me that has ever passed away, and I took it pretty hard. Have a safe trip, and just so you'll know, you are the man for flying on one of those prop planes!! Never in a million years.

okiecat
09-04-2012, 07:38 AM
So sorry to hear this news, Doc. Grandparents are such special people and I miss mine every day. Prayers for you and yours as you grieve this lossl

bluesuedeshoes
09-04-2012, 10:08 AM
My condolences Doc.

Have a safe flight and enjoy seeing the family, (as much as possible anyway.)

KSRdallen
09-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Very sorry to hear this, Ron. Wishing you comfort and peace during this difficult time.

badrose
09-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Hate to hear that, Ron. Have a safe trip to and fro and enjoy the time with your family.

blue2ksr
09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Please accept my condolences, Doc!

Catonahottinroof
09-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Sympathies to your family Doc.

jimbo4uk
09-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Thoughts and prayers Doc.

jazyd
09-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear it Ron, I think she was more special to you than you are letting on. Grandmas are that way for us kids. Its bad she got bad doctors, it may have only prolonger her life for a little while but at least they would have been correct.
Have a safe trip Ron, be nice to family, and say goodby to grandma in your own way, think of something she would love from you that only the two of you would know.

Doc
09-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Sorry to hear it Ron, I think she was more special to you than you are letting on. Grandmas are that way for us kids. Its bad she got bad doctors, it may have only prolonger her life for a little while but at least they would have been correct.
Have a safe trip Ron, be nice to family, and say goodby to grandma in your own way, think of something she would love from you that only the two of you would know.

You never met my grandmother. She wasn't a nice person at all. I loved her though. Spent many summers with her and my gramps. Now he was a special person. The family joke is that she lived as long as she did because god felt sorry him for all the years they lived together and felt he needed some peace. but you're correct, grandparents are special. I dread the family reunion more than anything.

suncat05
09-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Doc, sorry for your loss. We'll pray for her, you and your family @ Mass. Safe travels my friend!

ukblue
09-05-2012, 08:29 PM
My condolence to you and your family Doc.

BigBluePappy
09-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Thoughts and prayers for you and yours, Doc.