PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Prius

Darrell KSR
03-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Thought the car would not be fun to drive, but plenty of pep, just small. Have 320 miles in this tank so far and averaging 51.2 miles per gallon in mixed driving. I could get used to that.

Rented it, 4 days, $52 all taxes and charges included. Will drive it 600 miles. Will buy 12 gallons of gas rather than 30 (at 20mpg), saving 18 gallons. At $3.60 a gallon, that's $64.80 in savings, or somebody paid me $12.80 to drive their car this weekend.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

CitizenBBN
03-09-2013, 09:42 PM
To drive a Prius you should have held out for more. ;)

i never get the rental deals you get. Guess that's the burden of the evil twin. No doubt could get better gas mileage with a rental car, but not happening.

dan_bgblue
03-09-2013, 10:04 PM
It could get 100 mpg and I would not drive one. I realize that my Explorer will not really protect me if an 80,000 pound semi wants to play bumper tag, but I feel much better driving it than I would a vehicle that allows me to look at the scenery on the other side of the semi rig by looking under the trailer.

CitizenBBN
03-09-2013, 10:20 PM
It could get 100 mpg and I would not drive one. I realize that my Explorer will not really protect me if an 80,000 pound semi wants to play bumper tag, but I feel much better driving it than I would a vehicle that allows me to look at the scenery on the other side of the semi rig by looking under the trailer.

It's OK but only with a Trans Am or similar American muscle that can slide behind one to lose the cops while running Coors. Otherwise I agree completely. :)

MickintheHam
03-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Thought the car would not be fun to drive, but plenty of pep, just small. Have 320 miles in this tank so far and averaging 51.2 miles per gallon in mixed driving. I could get used to that.

Rented it, 4 days, $52 all taxes and charges included. Will drive it 600 miles. Will buy 12 gallons of gas rather than 30 (at 20mpg), saving 18 gallons. At $3.60 a gallon, that's $64.80 in savings, or somebody paid me $12.80 to drive their car this weekend.

One of the guys I work with owns two. On the days he drove to lunch, I was the one designated to loosen the gas cap to release the vapor lock so we could start the engine. It is not a car for a warm climate. both cars had the same problem.

Darrell KSR
03-10-2013, 07:17 AM
You guys really know how to spearl a potential sale...not that I'm in the market currently, but loved that mpg!

dan_bgblue
03-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Jetta Turbo Hybrid (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/03/08/test-drive-2013-volkswagen-jetta-hybrid/?intcmp=features)

CitizenBBN
03-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Dan, I can testify the VW turbo diesel is a fun engine. Like we were talking about on the Barber Shop, the turbo diesel Beetle they can't/don't sell in the US any more is a blast. Those cars are so small and light it just goes. Haven't driven the Jetta but I would think it would do well if the engine is as good as the one they used in the Beetles.

Catonahottinroof
03-10-2013, 11:17 AM
It wasn't a Blue Prius was it?

http://youtu.be/RrbrpKoXHoE

CitizenBBN
03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
It wasn't a Blue Prius was it?

Brilliant. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, "You're Gay!" Was trying to be nice to Darrell but since the cat's out of the bag... ;)

In fairness I never got to test driving a Prius but when they came out I was still doing a lot of driving to trade shows and such and did look at them on the web b/c I was spending a bunch on gas. Thank goodness I got off the road and my masculinity kicked in before it got to that point. Instead I realized $4 a gallon for gas is a small price to pay to keep your manhood intact. ;)

Besides, if you get a faster car you can get their sooner and actually save gas even though the mpg is technically lower. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Darrell KSR
03-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Filled up with a $20 bill in Murfreesboro after driving 300+ miles. Thaqt will buy a whole lot of masculinity.

CitizenBBN
03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Filled up with a $20 bill in Murfreesboro after driving 300+ miles. Thaqt will buy a whole lot of masculinity.

No. It won't. Though it will help you save up for that man-purse you've had your eye on. :tongue08:

That is impressive. If I drove as many miles as you I'd be looking for something to cut on gas consumption, but as few miles as I drive I don't have to worry about it much. Though when it hit $4 at one place I did flinch even at my consumption level. 65 mile commute to the auction gallery I work with at 15mpg, 4.3 gallons = $17 each trip at that price. That's getting a bit steep even though I'm up there probably once every 5-6 days. Not going to change though, I'll just donate plasma more often.

blueboss
03-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Please stay in the right lane on the interstate.

bigsky
03-10-2013, 08:38 PM

I like this. I regularly go on the road to "regentville" and gas mileage counts. In Montana, roads are empty (MT) and you don't need sudden acceleration the way you do with urban warfare, er, driving.

bigsky
03-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Having said that, on the road I drive a 268 HP six speed 4WD.

Darrell KSR
03-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Please stay in the right lane on the interstate.

77mph. Passed quite a few SUV's chugging in the left lane.

Darrell KSR
03-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I like this. I regularly go on the road to "regentville" and gas mileage counts. In Montana, roads are empty (MT) and you don't need sudden acceleration the way you do with urban warfare, er, driving.

Acceleration? What's that?

Interestingly, "they say" you need to be very aggressive with the acceleration to maximize time spent at cruising speed. So I had a lot of opportunity to check its acceleration. I would not feel comfortable trying to pass a speeding car just before a curve, that's for sure. But it has a little punch. Then again, I drive a mind numbing sluggish Volvo, so a pair of roller skates down an incline driveway has acceleration compared to that.

CitizenBBN
03-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Acceleration? What's that?

Interestingly, "they say" you need to be very aggressive with the acceleration to maximize time spent at cruising speed. So I had a lot of opportunity to check its acceleration. I would not feel comfortable trying to pass a speeding car just before a curve, that's for sure. But it has a little punch. Then again, I drive a mind numbing sluggish Volvo, so a pair of roller skates down an incline driveway has acceleration compared to that.

That would be my real issue with hybrids in general. I bought my car specifically for acceleration. Had no idea what I'd been missing, and not going back. :)

Top speed isn't that important, where can you go 140?, but getting past someone quick to get around traffic or around a hay wagon on a country road is really useful around here. I don't drive on interstates much, where a consistent savings and going a consistent speed would be of real benefit. Not sure how much a Prius would gain on country roads.

Darrell KSR
03-11-2013, 07:08 AM

MickintheHam
03-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Darrell, I heartily recommend you purchase a Prius. You will have message board material for years.

badrose
03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm with Chuck. At the very least I need to feel protected. Otherwise I'd be riding a motorcycle.

Darrell KSR
03-11-2013, 12:14 PM
2013 Toyota Prius received top safety rating by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=747

2013 Top Safety Pick 2013 Toyota Prius c
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST

OVERALL EVALUATION: Good
Structure/safety cage Injury measures Restraints/dummy kinematics
Head/neck Chest Leg/foot, left Leg/foot, right
Good Acceptable Good Good Good Good

SIDE IMPACT TEST

OVERALL EVALUATION: Good
Injury measures Head protection Structure/safety cage
Head/neck Torso Pelvis/leg
Driver Good Good Good Good Acceptable

Rollover evaluations
Minicars
Select another class:

To measure roof strength, a metal plate is pushed against one corner of a vehicle's roof at a constant speed. The maximum force sustained by the roof before 5 inches of crush is compared to the vehicle's weight to find the strength-to-weight ratio. This is a good assessment of vehicle structural protection in rollover crashes.

Each model is rated based on our measured curb weight of a vehicle with typical engine, transmission, and equipment options. However, when the same model is available in a configuration over 10% heavier than the typically equipped vehicle, a separate rating is assigned.

More about how we rate vehicle roof strength

Good Good Acceptable Acceptable Marginal Marginal Poor Poor | Vehicles are listed in order of performance
Model Overall rating Curb weight (lb) Peak force (lb) Strength-to-weight ratio
Fiat 500
2012-13 models Good 2,469 15,221 6.16
Ford Fiesta sedan
2011-13 models Good 2,605 14,122 5.42
Toyota Prius c
2012-13 models Good 2,529 13,352 5.28
Hyundai Accent
2012-13 models Good 2,523 13,172 5.22
Ford Fiesta hatchback
2011-13 models Good 2,603 13,142 5.05
Honda Fit
2012-13 models Good 2,569 12,894 5.02
Nissan Versa sedan
2012-13 models Good 2,412 11,947 4.95
Toyota Yaris hatchback
2012-13 models Good 2,387 10,663 4.47
Mazda 2
2011-13 models Good 2,321 9,701 4.18
Toyota Yaris sedan
2007-12 models Acceptable 2,401 9,072 3.78
Hyundai Accent
Kia Rio
2006-11 models Acceptable 2,558 9,526 3.72
Mini Cooper
2007-13 models Acceptable 2,564 8,810 3.44
Honda Fit
2009-11 models Acceptable 2,569 8,787 3.42
Chevrolet Aveo
2009-11 models Marginal 2,5

Rear crash protection is also "Good" for the Prius--compared to many "bigger cars," like the Toyota 4-runner from 2003 to 2009, which was rated "Poor." (They rate either "Good," "Acceptable," "Marginal" or "Poor.")

Prius is rated ahead of the bigger Toyota Avalon, Camry, many Corollas, etc.

Mick, I don't "think" I'm in the market for one. But I may request one again when I'm going to rent. Drove 663 miles this weekend and it was a very convenient car for getting things in and out of the hatchback-like trunk. Certainly paid for itself this weekend.

blueboss
03-11-2013, 05:18 PM

I usually slow down to around 75 when preparing to exit.

CitizenBBN
03-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Does it come with vaginal itch cream standard or is it optional extra?

Darrell KSR
03-11-2013, 10:48 PM
I usually slow down to around 75 when preparing to exit.

Passed a lot of you SUV's preparing to exit miles before their exits. You guys must be awfully careful drivers.

CitizenBBN
03-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Passed a lot of you SUV's preparing to exit miles before their exits. You guys must be awfully careful drivers.

lol. That's pretty funny.

blueboss
03-11-2013, 11:15 PM
does it come with vaginal itch cream standard or is it optional extra?

wow!

blueboss
03-11-2013, 11:18 PM

SUV guy's can't afford the fuel to go over 70, is 77 the max speed.

Darrell KSR
03-12-2013, 07:47 AM
SUV guy's can't afford the fuel to go over 70, is 77 the max speed.

Is for me. You'd be surprised what the cost per gallon goes up to with a ticket allocated in.

MickintheHam
03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Darrell, I would rent one for sure as long as it is not summer. They are not bad if the objective is economy on long trips. I wouldn't own one unless the price comes down. And whether rented or owned, you sure wouldn't see me behind the wheel of a blue prius.

badrose
03-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Darrell, I would rent one for sure as long as it is not summer. They are not bad if the objective is economy on long trips. I wouldn't own one unless the price comes down. And whether rented or owned, you sure wouldn't see me behind the wheel of a blue prius.

I had a former boss whose company car was a blue Prius. I gave him a lot of grief over that.

Darrell KSR
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM

In all seriousness, I think they ask too much for those on the secondary market, considering the price of the battery. But one of the soccer parents owned a 2004 one and he told me that he drove it over 200,000 miles, and it was still running great last year when he sold it to a neighbor, who is still driving it. The battery has not been replaced yet, and it is nine years old. He said the price of the battery has gone down to "about $1500," but that's pretty pricy. He claimed that when the gas prices were low, you could find a 3 year old one for about $15,000.

All of this while he was driving his SUV and got 13mpg on the trip to Murfreesboro. He was hauling another parent and a couple of kids and all of their gear, though. He uses his SUV only for out of town soccer and hunting trips, and has a "regular" car--which used to be the Prius--for his "normal" driving.

If I'm given the opportunity to rent a Prius again, I probably will if I'm going to drive that many miles on it. It wasn't bad, particularly when I accelerated aggressively. Now, that vapor lock issue--if it's still an issue with the 2013's--would drive me crazy. This car had 3,500 miles on it when I got it and performed well.

At *some point,* I'd probably consider buying one. Gas goes up to $5 a gallon, you better believe I'd own one. Make all the jokes you want, I can take it if it's that much. Maybe at $4.

By the way, it was red. I hated to tell the color, but at least it wasn't powder blue.

blueboss
03-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Top two statements to never say aloud

1) The whole incident took about 15 seconds

2) By the way it was red (referring to the color of the car you drive)