PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup Craze and hydration

Darrell KSR
01-18-2024, 06:01 PM
Common sense article here.

https://slate.com/technology/2024/01/stanley-cup-tumbler-reusable-water-bottle-target.html

Having said that, I am part of the problem. I have Yetis, Contigos, Ozark Trails, RTIC, complete generic ones, and my current favorite, a Takeya.

I do my best to use them - I make 3 cups of green tea in one of them, one of them holds nothing but water, one of them is my iced green tea cup (it holds more and I can fill it with ice), one is my flavored water cup, one is a travel coffee cup, one is at my office, one is at the office where I have an association (and an office), etc. So I don't feel too bad about the accumulation of them, given that I use them like this. But could I get away with 3 or 4 instead? Probably.

BigBluePappy
01-18-2024, 06:28 PM

What I have used for the last several years at work and at home.
Keeps ice like crazy and they are do not "sweat".
Hand wash is the only downside.
I have black and Grammy has an assortment of mint, bright pink and blue slate.

KSRBEvans
01-19-2024, 08:36 AM
I have a Tervis 2012 national championship tumbler that's my pride and joy. I try to use that one a little less so I can extend its useful life.

I also have the Walmart equivalent of a Yeti (Arctic Trail, I think they call it) that I like just fine, except you have to hand wash it (first world problems).

I also got this UK cup

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr2SrWGeRmz_zY9RD4QY33bJxRcb2 0zUaGU3IzUFU2nSt-lZCZqxBd83qB9U8w085Ezf56UAp_Es-hvSPzylxvq8wFLGP6ZoBMzGn-Esmp&usqp=CAE

as a gift a few years ago. Structurally it's still good, but the paint is starting to scratch off. I can't just throw away ugly things that still work, so it's still in the rotation, much to Mrs. BEvans' consternation.

She wanted a pretty Yeti mug (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTTXMXZT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1) that I bought her for Christmas and she really likes it and doesn't understand the pink Stanley fad.

Catfan73
01-19-2024, 10:16 AM
I don’t understand the hand wash thing. I abided by it for awhile with the yeti’s but eventually started putting them in the dishwasher. I can’t tell any difference.

KSRBEvans
01-19-2024, 11:11 AM
^The new Yetis (at least the one Mrs. BEvans wanted) are supposedly dishwasher-safe, which won me over.

Darrell KSR
01-19-2024, 01:12 PM
This will probably gross some of you out, but I rarely truly wash those drinking cups/mugs/etc.

I buy a box of Efferdent enzyme tablets (100 in the box) and when I think about it, drop one or two in it. Then I take a paper towel and wipe it clean. I don't truly clean any of them the way you would a regular glass or dishes.

KSRBEvans
01-19-2024, 01:17 PM
This will probably gross some of you out, but I rarely truly wash those drinking cups/mugs/etc.

I buy a box of Efferdent enzyme tablets (100 in the box) and when I think about it, drop one or two in it. Then I take a paper towel and wipe it clean. I don't truly clean any of them the way you would a regular glass or dishes.

Better than my coffee mug at work. I call the residue on the inside "flavor crystals." I wash it every year or so whether I need to or not. The acid hasn't penetrated the metal interior--yet.

Darrell KSR
01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Good! Glad I'm not the only one.

By the way, The Athletic wrote an article on this today. Maybe they are monitoring our site...

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2024/01/stanley-cups-valentines-day-target-starbucks/677190/

BigBluePappy
01-19-2024, 01:38 PM
Better than my coffee mug at work. I call the residue on the inside "flavor crystals." I wash it every year or so whether I need to or not. The acid hasn't penetrated the metal interior--yet.

Flavor crystals, seasoning, whatever you want to call it just means more taste...

suncat05
01-22-2024, 07:14 AM
I have an RTIC 30 ounce that I use every day. I hand wash it every day. I only drink filtered water from it, and use filtered ice. I never drink hot drinks from it. And the only hot drinks I indulge in are coffee(I have my favorite UK mug that I have used for well over 25 years or so for that, and for hot green tea). I also had it clear coated, as I have an American flag design on it of stars and the stripes are different rifles. My partner from the Courthouse & his wife gifted that to me for my birthday many years ago.
I have a Kentucky Tervis 20 ounce cup, but I don't use it much. It doesn't seem to keep the ice very long, for some reason. Maybe because it's a smaller cup? IDK, I'm not an engineer.
And when I have an occasional bourbon & cola I have a glass tumbler that I use.

That RTIC cup keeps ice a long time, and my water is always cold.

dan_bgblue
01-22-2024, 08:13 AM
I rarely go anywhere without my 20 oz yeti tumbler. It is always full of ice cubes,and water or soda. I know they work well for coffee, tea and soup to keep those liquids hot, but my 20 plus year old stainless yeti has never been filled with hot liquids. I have a ceramic mug for hot stuff. And for the cleanliness addicts, I do put my yeti thru a dishwasher cycle about once every couple of months.

bigsky
01-23-2024, 05:58 AM
I have a couple pints and I’m fine…

Okay, seriously, yeti pint size tumblers fit in the cup holders and are right for beer & coffee. I didn’t know about the beer until TAMU.

Short fat rtics in the camper, a 20 oz arctic was a mistake, and a 64 with the little figure on it for the “daily water intake”

I hate all glasses now.especially wine glasses.

Those coffee cups at work are gross, guys. And wash behind your ears, too.

dan_bgblue
01-26-2024, 04:40 PM
Linkage (https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/stanley-products-contain-some-lead-company-insulated-steel-tumblers-surge-popularity)

Darrell KSR
01-26-2024, 10:18 PM
https://people.com/stanley-responds-claims-that-cups-contain-lead-8549835

Darrell KSR
01-30-2024, 04:44 AM
https://www.nbcnews.com/select/shopping/how-to-clean-water-bottle-rcna136195

CitizenBBN
01-30-2024, 10:16 AM
OK, not eating at Darrell's, BEvans......

I really don't get the brand crazy, Yeti now Stanley. I completely get not generating a metric ton of plastic waste with disposable bottles and try to avoid it whenever possible. I have a Yeti, from my wife's collection, and the rest are just whatever. We have 6-8 we rotate.

I do actually wash them however, b/c you know, I have indoor plumbing to do that with, but I do have to hand wash the one from Green Parrot b/c it has a foam bottom. Helps a lot when the bar is slick so you don't spill your drink.

Darrell KSR
01-30-2024, 10:38 AM
I don't get it. I've just extended to 5 second rule to 5-months. Sounds reasonable to me.

CitizenBBN
01-30-2024, 07:49 PM
I don't get it. I've just extended to 5 second rule to 5-months. Sounds reasonable to me.

About 1am at the Green Parrot it sounds reasonable to me too, which is why it probably isn't.

I will go a few days with a cup that has had only water, rinse it and refill it and go, but especially the lids need a good scrubbing for me.

Now, when I was younger I'd eat pizza that had sat out for 3 days or so, but then I starting having women in my life and had to change my bachelor ways.

dan_bgblue
02-01-2024, 05:15 PM
About 1am at the Green Parrot it sounds reasonable to me too, which is why it probably isn't.

I will go a few days with a cup that has had only water, rinse it and refill it and go, but especially the lids need a good scrubbing for me.

Now, when I was younger I'd eat pizza that had sat out for 3 days or so, but then I starting having women in my life and had to change my bachelor ways.

Hey, if my wife wants to wash my yeti before it is time, I don't object as long as it is ready for use when I need a cold drink.