PDA

View Full Version : need a new weather site

CitizenBBN
03-04-2013, 03:22 PM
I know this comes up periodically, and Dan I know will have some good advice, but I need to find another "go to first" weather website. I've used Weather Underground a long time and like a lot about it, but the 637 ads they put on each page is really slowing down my connect times. They have messed up and must be punished, and I spend enough time all day waiting for things to happen on my computer.

I care most about a basic hourly forecast for the next 6-12 hours and then radar capabilities. Wunderground had good radar options back when the main sites like weather.com didnt' have that sophistication, but no doubt people have caught up and may have fewer freakin' ads. I think they load from at least a half dozen different server sites on every page on there. They also cookie track the ads like crazy. Was just on Radio Shack for a part a few days ago and now when I go to wundergound surprise surprise half the ads are radio shack. lol.

Catfan73
03-04-2013, 04:19 PM
I have some of the same frustrations. I like to be able to see the current conditions, and if there is a storm on the way I like to be able to look at the radar without having to hunt for it for five minutes. Is that too much to ask?

Darrell KSR
03-04-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm using Intellicast app, at Dan's suggestion. It has the 6-hour at a glance automatically, and lots of other neat features. It has customizable radar, including satellite, radar, road weather, and a bunch of other things.

But I also use "Radar now," which to me is the best, simplest, most straightforward version to get what you want I've seen.

Add in "CoachSmart," the Vanderbilt University Hospital app developed for their athletic teams which gives weather conditions, including lightning strikes, strikes within 6 miles, strikes within 12 miles, strikes within 24 miles, together with a map of the strikes, and a timer that automatically resets every time a strike occurs within that range, and that's my trifecta for weather.

dan_bgblue
03-04-2013, 06:01 PM
CBBN, have you tried registering for membership at WU? I registered for the free membership years ago and the only ads I get is one banner ad at the top that changes every time I click a new link but that is all I ever see. I do have AD block enabled, but nothing else when viewing with Firefox.

CitizenBBN
03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Great suggestion Dan. No I havent', but I'm game to try it. I have no other real complaints with the site. it has a plethora of information on it, and the radar is highly customizable (not fond of the new timeline control yet) but tired of the load speeds.

Was going to try 3-4 apps for my phone but they all require the later OS versions. My poor iphone 3 is already struggling speed wise with OS4. Not dying to go up to OS5. next phone is likely to be android, so I'm holding off till I make a move. Just can't justify the expenditure while this one is working and doing basically what I need.