PDA

View Full Version : GPS kids watch

KentuckyWildcat
03-28-2023, 09:39 AM
Looking into a GPS watch for kids or similar GPS devices. Anyone have any recommendations?

I like the Garmin Bounce, very basic. But concerned about service in my area with it. Also like the Angel watch as it uses AT&T towers, it is secured. But does allow them to do a little more with the phone as far as communication and games.

Cheap option is the Apple Air Tags, but they certainly have their own issues for this purpose.

KentuckyWildcat
03-28-2023, 09:41 AM
I always have this thought when vacationing is near...Probably time to act on it. Too late for this next trip...

Darrell KSR
03-28-2023, 09:49 AM
No idea, but I'm a fan of Garmin GPS products in general. My son and I both have had the Forerunner 235 watches for a few years (in fact, it's my every day watch unless I dress up for the office).

Have not had the LTE type versions, though, and no insight into how well those might work. But Garmin generally makes very good products. I suspect the quality will be good, but no idea about service, which would be key for your purposes.

KentuckyWildcat
03-28-2023, 09:50 AM
Kids are 8 and 6

KentuckyWildcat
03-28-2023, 10:07 AM
I trust Garmin the most for security.

KentuckyWildcat
03-28-2023, 10:10 AM
Good video on the Bounce if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNKYPA9ovkg

KentuckyWildcat
04-01-2023, 11:02 AM
At Dollywood today. Definitely need to get something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckyWildcat
04-10-2023, 11:03 AM
Ordered two. Very happy with the purchase so far. Just waiting on the new to wear off, so I can stop getting poop emoji's :)

Darrell KSR
04-10-2023, 11:11 AM
With 13 month old grandtwins, I'm very interested in your purchase. Not ready -- yet -- but soon enough.

Please post how you're/they're using them, what issues you're having, how it helps, etc. as you experience them (if you don't mind.) I think you made a really good choice.

KentuckyWildcat
04-10-2023, 11:36 AM
Quick overview:

I have boundaries setup, so I know when they leave or arrive at school, home, etc.

This is a basically a fitbit type of watch. That includes GPS tracking and very limited text via the app. Only those I add to our family can text and see the locations. The texting options are: Preset responses (I think you can edit), emoji, and voice messages.

Service for texting has been good despite our area not showing the best coverage on their map.

Battery realistically appears to be one full day. Might improve when they stop using them so much. I'll report back.

Very limited as a "phone". No camera, no phone calls, no apps. Which is what I wanted after I heard about the 1st grader taking pictures of herself and showing her friends.... This could be a pro or con. Pro IMO for an 8 and 6 year old.

I wish you could see every conversation the kids have, but you can only see yours. So definitely only add those you trust. I can't see the conversations between my wife, brother, or between themselves. I also can't message my wife thru the app. Which, I guess makes sense as it is a service. There is a "family" text option and my wife and I can both see those messages.

I do wish some settings were more granular, but I believe this was designed to be simple and basic. If that was the goal, they achieved it.

KentuckyWildcat
04-10-2023, 11:49 AM
There is this if you wanted to track a baby. Not sure what would be the best option to attach it to? But it would be handy to know if they kids have been picked up or not. This is only a GPS tracker.

https://www.jiobit.com/