PDA

View Full Version : If you are overweight you can stop dieting and exercising.

dan_bgblue
01-26-2023, 08:54 AM
Our President has hired a Dr that is a so called "expert" in FAT.

With all the abbreviations after her name, she has to be brilliant , right? Fatima Cody Stanford, MD, MPH, MPA, MBA, FAAP, FACP, FAHA, FAMWA, FTOS- Associate Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics, Obesity Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Health Policy & Disparities, Business Leader, Health Broadcast and Print Media

You can not help being fat as it is all in your genetics. (https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-admin-expert-claims-obesity-cannot-treated-exercise-good-diet)

CitizenBBN
01-26-2023, 11:02 AM
Well there are genetic predispositions, but that doesn't explain why Americans are getting fatter en masse generation after generation. A lot of it is our diet, which is now chocked full of unpronounceable ingredients, combined with our increasingly sedentary lifestyle.

My metabolism as a young child was very fast, but a series of unneeded surgeries did their bit to change that (long story), but I also know if I eat lots of carbs and sit on the couch I'll be far more overweight than if I don't, even though my metabolism does predispose me to gaining weight.

Catfan73
01-26-2023, 11:06 AM
After Christmas I decided to try to lose 10-15 lbs. I’ve only lost 4-6 so far (it varies) but it’s a start. The secret? I eat less lol.

bigsky
01-26-2023, 12:53 PM
Ah, born this way, eh? Only when it suits the anything goes crowd.

Darrell KSR
01-26-2023, 02:07 PM
I hate crap like this. Media paints a picture out of context and everyone runs with it.

She actually said that obesity is a multifactorial disorder with genetics, environment, development and behavior all playing a role.

She's very well studied in the area of obesity, and she's not wrong.

I teach a section of my business law class on the McDonald's coffee cup case. Almost nobody who thinks that's a bad decision understands the facts involved in the case because the media loves sensationalism over completeness and accuracy.

CitizenBBN
01-26-2023, 03:00 PM
No doubt genetics has a role, as do other metabolic factors. I have researched a few things done to me as a child all of which alter metabolism. Prior to those I was so thin they took me to doctors b/c I wasn't putting on enough weight. After those I ballooned up and have had it ever since. At the age of 6, not from puberty etc.

I will say a number of studies are showing that our environmental changes esp. in processed food is a big part of the problem. Not a lot of talk about some of those, and how a lot of lobbying decades ago got a lot of very bad science and advice ingrained in how we eat in this country.

CitizenBBN
01-26-2023, 03:01 PM
Oh, and never trust the media, in anything.

Padukacat
01-26-2023, 07:19 PM
I agree, born for bourbon and it seems to make me hungry.

KentuckyWildcat
01-27-2023, 09:39 AM
This means I can go to Freddy's today for lunch.