PDA

View Full Version : Ammo

thedeerehunter
02-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Not meaning for this to devolve into a political debate, and I apologize in advance if it does, just seeing what folks are finding in their areas.

I've been fairly lucky in that I've been able to scout a couple local WalMarts in the early morning hours to score on .223, .40S&W, 9MM, .38 special, and .22LR lately. Some will call me a hoarder, but I don't care. I'm buying all I can afford except for the overpriced stuff. Like beer and log chains, you can't have too many. lol

Y'all having any luck?

BigBlueBrock
02-26-2013, 12:12 PM
I know from talking with them in the Barber Shop that CBBN and Keith have also had issues finding ammunition. They could likely fill you in on where/how they're getting their stocks.

suncat05
02-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Ammo is very hard to find right now. I have been told that WalMart is limiting the quantities sold to customers. Your best bet would be trying some of the larger ammo sales outlets like Cheaper Than Dirt, MIDWAYUSA, NatchezShootersSupply, etc., even if you have to wait for delivery.
Just don't be stunned by the prices. The good 'ol days of buying 1000 rounds of. 223/5.56 mm for just over a hundred bucks are gone, gone, gone. We will probably never see that kind of retail pricing ever again in our lifetimes. Between the GWOT & the nonsense coming from the current POTUS and his band of merry mirthmakers, all things related to firearms/ammo/gun parts means very high demand with very high prices as well.
Check your search engine of choice. And check with some of the smaller sales outfits too. Sometimes you can get faster delivery & a little better price, depending on what you're shopping for. And good luck!

thedeerehunter
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
The three box limit at Wally World sucks, but it does add up over time. Plus, one of the local ones I frequent has a gal that works sporting goods that will sell me thee boxes of each caliber, should I be so lucky to happen upon miltiple calibers in stock.

CitizenBBN
02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
I have a big order in with Wolf, I buy direct from them, and I have no idea when I'll see it. Their answer is "don't call us, we'll call you" when I inquire about a guess as to when I might get it. I'm probably going to double the order and hope it gets here this year. lol.

I will say some of the dealers and distributors and places like Midway are not trying to price gouge. Midway isn't raising prices on anything where they aren't forced to by their upstream sellers. They've had to ration with limited quantities for purchase but they aren't trying to profit take, and given the loyalty of gun owners they'll be well rewarded for their stance. Similarly the wholesalers by and large are trying to not raise prices just b/c they can, and they will also be remembered. A few I know have done so, and when this is over they'll be hurting.

The problem is there just isn't a supply and what is being made is already spoken for, and in the wholesale chain unless you are a preferred customer you aren't going to get ammo, mags, and a whole lot of guns. One gun store here buys direct from Federal and their ship date was February of 2015. That's not a type-o. 2015. Of course they'll have ammo to sell by then but what will happen is Federal will sell first to all the huge customers which will include the wholesalers and then this store will buy from them. They won't resume direct orders to the small guys for a long time. Same situation I have with Wolf.

9mm is one of the toughest to find. .223 and 7.62 are right behind it, but shocking to me it's tough to get .22 as well. I have no idea why people are buying up 22 like it was going to be banned. Lots of false rumors out there, and a LOT of speculators too. Dealers are telling me a lot of their sales are to people buying it up to resell and try to turn a buck. That's hit the supply as well.

I've got a bit of a supply for myself, but nothing much for sale.

ammotogo.com swears they have the ammo in stock as shown on the site but it will take 30 days to ship. Cheaper than dirt has some supplies of stuff coming back now.

Is there anything in particular anyone is looking for? I'm trying to get an order with a wholesaler and talk them into putting me in the allocated list. Doubt it will happen, I'm just not a big enough buyer, but going to try. All they can do is say no.

suncat05
02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I've noticed the .22 caliber ammo being scarce as well. Kind of surprising, but then again that .22 LR round is a good utility type round that can be used for a variety of tasks. I bought several bricks of the stuff last summer from WalMart when it was still cheap & plentiful.
And if push came to shove, it can be used on much bigger game than rabbits & so forth, if you follow my meaning. JMHO.

thedeerehunter
02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
.22LR is probably been my toughest to find oddly enough. But like suncat said, it's a very versatile round that is very cheap to shoot relatively speaking. Hadn't seen hollow points on shelves for months until I found some in Bardstown last weekend, and it was limited to 5 boxes of 50 rounds, which of course is NOTHING speaking in terms of .22LR.

CitizenBBN
02-26-2013, 03:45 PM
I've had a 500 round box of 22 forever, and I never thought I'd be so glad to have it. I've got enough to hold the fort for a while, but I hope the zombies hold off a while.

I get the 7.62 and 223. I even get 9mm, but 22 and the revolver calibers surprised me.

thedeerehunter
02-26-2013, 03:58 PM
I have probably 1500 rounds of .22LR, and I feel very inadequate at that lol. Hoping ill look back in 6 months and say " WTF was I thinking?" Ha.

jazyd
02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Luckily I bought several boxes, 10 each of 270, 243, and 25-06 a year ago from a buddy at a store that was a big customer of mine. I am set for hunting for a long time. But I do need some 22 but will wait just a bit to see what happens. Don't you just love what 'progressives' have done to us.

thedeerehunter
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I've bought some .243, .270, and .300 rem ultra mag (my three most popular hunting calibers) lately, but not as many as the other calibers I've mentioned because they're still pretty much readily available.

When I feel comfortable with the amount of handgun and smaller caliber rifle loads I have ill concentrate more on the others.

CitizenBBN
02-26-2013, 05:01 PM
I can get my hands on some hunting calibers, just not the MSR (modern sporting rifle) calibers and handgun. 270, 30/06, etc are in stock at least in small amounts with the wholesalers. A few of the others are "allocated", but 9mm and 22 you can just about forget. I did find a source for the top of the line CCI mini-mags but nothing in bulk 22.

thedeerehunter
02-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Edited the thread title to be a little more inclusive. :)

Anyone buy any new guns lately? I may be purchasing another S&W M&P in .40S&W soon. Have a buddy that received one as a gift from a previous gifrlfriend that he's thinking about selling. It's literally had less than 20 rounds through it. Made him an offer on it and he's supposed to let me know something soon. Don' "need" another one, but hey, I can always use another M&P.

ukblue
02-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Bought a Springfield XM 9 the other day. Nice hard plastic carrying case with a couple of xtra mags. Also had a paddle holster and a duo mag carry as well. Had a few xtra things but that's about it.

Darrell KSR
02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm afraid to mention it too loudly here, but there's a local shop here that has .22, .38, 9mm and .45 ACP in stock. Bought some two weeks ago--not anything like the quantities some have, but plenty for me.

CitizenBBN
02-26-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm afraid to mention it too loudly here, but there's a local shop here that has .22, .38, 9mm and .45 ACP in stock. Bought some two weeks ago--not anything like the quantities some have, but plenty for me.

Trust me if it wouldn't cost more in gas than I can make I'd have already driven down and bought all I could load up and sold it up here. I still might just to drive around with a car full of ammo. If I didn't have enough for my own defense for now I'd have still done it.

thedeerehunter
02-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Thinking about a S&W M&P 15-22 for an economical (in terms of ammo) plinker. Kids would have a blast with it at the farm and could shoot it all day on the cheap.

CitizenBBN
02-27-2013, 09:05 AM
I'll sell you a GSG 5 with all the trimmings. 22 version of the H&K MP5.

thedeerehunter
02-27-2013, 09:31 AM
I'll sell you a GSG 5 with all the trimmings. 22 version of the H&K MP5.

Got any pics?

CitizenBBN
02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
I'll take a few. May be tomorrow before I get them posted, working on a computer project today and it's not going very well. lol.

thedeerehunter
02-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Sounds good.

DanISSELisdaman
02-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Ammo is very scarce here. I have not seen any 9mm, 38 and 45, but there is a limited supply of 30-06, 243, etc. I haven't seen any 6 mm, but I have a few stuck back.

badrose
02-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Ammo.net had 50 round boxes of 9mm for $24.25 plus shipping today. That's a good price these days.

CitizenBBN
02-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Really tough to get any reloading for 9mm as well. Not a surprise of course. Can get once fired brass but bullets are scarce.

Got curious on a mental break and looked at reloading with the bigger automatic presses and the nicer Dillons. The production level ones can swage military brass or regular and load it all in one press, turn out 1,000s of rounds an hour, neat equipment. it's boutique factory level equipment. The thing is even without equipment (even a good Dillon) the raw materials are just too costly if you buy brass, even once fired, to save much on 9mm and most pistol cals. Some of the rifle calibers are better. Of course it's all about reloading your own brass 10x but hard for me to gather it up at commercial ranges.

Best long term option is still to buy bulk which means just waiting till demand eases up some and supply increases.

BarristerCat
02-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Bought a Springfield XM 9 the other day. Nice hard plastic carrying case with a couple of xtra mags. Also had a paddle holster and a duo mag carry as well. Had a few xtra things but that's about it.

I think you will be pleased with that gun. I bought an XDM .40 last year and I love it. I like shooting it way better than my Glock .45 -- and I never thought I'd say that. In fact, I'm probably going to sell my Glock and buy an XDM .45.

CitizenBBN
02-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Have yet to talk to a single person who doesn't like the Springfield XDs.

BarristerCat
03-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Have yet to talk to a single person who doesn't like the Springfield XDs.

I've never dealt with the original XD's, but I read and heard so much good stuff about the XDM that I decided to give them a shot. I'm really glad I did. In my opinion it is easier to shoot than my Glock. It has a smoother trigger pull that makes it easier for me to stay on target.

It is also easier to take down for cleaning. I know Glocks are easy compared to 1911s, but I've never quite gotten the hang of the Glock takedown maneuver. I can do it, but it usually takes 3-4 tries. The XDM has a simple flip-a-switch process that never fails. I'm a fan.

suncat05
03-01-2013, 04:13 AM
Yeah, of all the handguns I've ever handled and had to field strip, the way the Glock breaks down takes some getting used to. But they're still good guns, just do not care for the ergonomics of the grip. Have not handled any of the Gen 4 Glocks yet, but a couple of people I know have told me the grip angle isn't an issue anymore like it was with the original Glock.
I have not handled a Springfield XD or XDM, but from everything I've heard they are good, smooth shooting handguns. Gonna have to get acquainted with one when I get a chance.
I love the S&W M&P series. Really nice handguns. But I still prefer a Sig Sauer or an H&K. Personal preference.

BarristerCat
03-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Yeah, of all the handguns I've ever handled and had to field strip, the way the Glock breaks down takes some getting used to. But they're still good guns, just do not care for the ergonomics of the grip. Have not handled any of the Gen 4 Glocks yet, but a couple of people I know have told me the grip angle isn't an issue anymore like it was with the original Glock.
I have not handled a Springfield XD or XDM, but from everything I've heard they are good, smooth shooting handguns. Gonna have to get acquainted with one when I get a chance.
I love the S&W M&P series. Really nice handguns. But I still prefer a Sig Sauer or an H&K. Personal preference.

You can't go wrong with a Glock. It is a fine, fine weapon. The XDM is just suits me better.

I know a lot of people are into the S&W M&P series and I'm sure they are good guns. I'll never own an S&W semi auto, though. I spent a lot of time around KSP Troopers during and just after the time that S&W semi autos were their standard issue sidearm. Not one of them had a good word for them and some of the horror stories were amazing. They even showed me some video of Troopers' S&W's literally flying apart when they were trying to return fire on some bad guys. I know the ones the Troopers carried weren't the M&P series and I'm sure the M&P series was a complete redesign, but I've just heard and seen to much to trust the brand.

suncat05
03-01-2013, 02:38 PM
I have fired one of the new S&W M&P 9mm compact version. Just a sweet firing handgun. I also like the grip tang(s) they include with them to customize the grip according to the size of the shooter's hand. Also very sweet. And accurate. The one and only thing I DO NOT like about it is how you have to lock the slide back and then raise that little pig-tail shaped piece in the magwell up before you can fully field strip it. I do not recall ever seeing that with any other weapon, much less a S&W product. Very strange. But aside from that, very nice handgun. And if they ever issued one to me here with my agency I'd have no heartburn at all with it, but as of now I do not see us getting away from the H&K series, nmor do I see that happening anytime in the distant future.

thedeerehunter
03-02-2013, 03:04 PM
I have an M&P compact in .40S&W and love it. Never had any issues. Been looking for a Shield for months but haven't had any luck. TOUGH gun to find, even before Sandy Hook. Saw online this morning that Whitakers in Owensboro got one in but I couldn't get through on the phone, but I'm sure it barely made it in to the showcase before someone snagged it.

CitizenBBN
03-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Shields are nearly impossible to find. As you said, not from the gun grab either. Just more demand than supply since the day the first ones came out.

ukblue
03-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Barrister, know what you mean about the Glock takedown. Mine has a internal laser and that gives takedown a whole know meaning. The spring on that lasermax is pretty damn stout and you really have to foul the thing down to get it apart.

BarristerCat
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Barrister, know what you mean about the Glock takedown. Mine has a internal laser and that gives takedown a whole know meaning. The spring on that lasermax is pretty damn stout and you really have to foul the thing down to get it apart.

I know a lot of hardcore carry guys prefer the Glock setup because it makes for a slimmer, sleeker gun with no potential for a snag. It's just an aggravation to me, though.

KeithKSR
03-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Ammo.net had 50 round boxes of 9mm for $24.25 plus shipping today. That's a good price these days.

Last spring 9mm ammo could be had at half that price for a 50 round box.

CitizenBBN
03-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Last spring 9mm ammo could be had at half that price for a 50 round box.

Yep, but we won't see that again IMO, at least not for a few years. Wish we would, good for the gun community and its expansion for ammo to be cheap. Maybe if we get a more sympathetic Administration they'll encourage increased production and importation. Even raw materials are tough to get just to make brass and bullets. Would like to research the import restrictions on the core components.

I've been looking at reloading options, but I'm only interested in volume processing at this point. if nothing else it's fun to window shop the machines. I love a well designed piece of equipment.

BarristerCat
03-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Found some .22 LR at a Lexington gun store over the weekend. $23.95 for a box of 50. I was standing there mentally cussing (cursing just doesn't feel like the right word) about the price when another guy walked up, picked up a box, looked at the price tag, and started cussing out loud. In fact, he let loose a small torrent of obscenities. Somebody really had to do it. We both left there with no ammo.

CitizenBBN
03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Barrister, I'm curious but does that impact your view/feelings about that particular store? IMO those gun stores doing that to such extremes will be hurt when things return to some level of normalcy IMO. Gun people have long memories. Midway is having to ration b/c they won't clear with price increases but it's the better marketing strategy. The others come off as price gouging, that price in particular. My wholesalers by and large haven't done it either. I have no problem with adjusting price to clear a market but its bad marketing b/c few will see it that way.

As for that price, WOW. I'm selling some 22lr (loose but factory) in the next auction. Packs of a couple/three hundred or so, would fall over backwards to get $100 for it. lol. I'll happily sell you 200 rounds for say $75? ;)

It's not cheap but I can get it better than that price. Cheaperthandirt has Aguila 500rd brick for $60. 12c per round is crazy but better than 48c/rnd. They have 7.62 Tula in stock too, but at 75c/rnd. That's INSANE for 7.62 berdan primed steel case that most people can't reload. Triple the pre-hysteria price. Hope the zombies and jack booted thugs hold off till the prices come down some.

So anyway, I have some NIB Aguila 500 round bricks for $120 if you're interested... ;)

CitizenBBN
03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Nevermind. Looked closer, it's the Aguila that is primer only. I know, but they do make an ammo that is "super quiet", b/c it has no powder charge. It's OK target ammo for revolvers, but wont' even cycle a semiauto pistol much less a rifle receiver block.

So, back to my deal. I'll sell you 200 rounds for $100. :)

thedeerehunter
03-06-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm definitely making notes of the shops that I frequent that are gouging. And I've seen some outrageous prices, but $25 for 50 rounds of .22LR?!? Excuse my French but WHAT. THE. F***... I though the $7 for 50 price I saw the other day was high. Good LORD. Like Citizen, I'll cut a man a deal and sell him all I have at half that rate, lol.

I'm buying a lot, and it doesn't bother me to pay a little more because of the situation we're in, but I refuse to pay those stupid prices. While it's spotty, I'm finding decent to good prices on most everything at WalMart. Got three boxes of 115 grain 9mm yesterday for 10.97 for 50. I'm paying ~$20 for 50 round boxes of .40S&W, and I've been finding it there fairly regularly lately. 100 round boxes of Federal .223 can be had for 34.97 a box (though they're tougher to get obviously), and while I haven't seen any there for 3 weeks or so, I've bought many 100 round boxes of .22LR at less than $7 per.

BarristerCat
03-06-2013, 10:07 AM
CBBN, I didn't have much of a high opinion of that particular gun store to begin with. I had already figured out that they would charge the highest price they could for anything. The only reason I went in was because I'm looking for a particular gun that is hard to find right now. So, I hit all the stores that I know of in Lexington. It definitely reinforced my feelings on that store, though.

I think I smell a mouse in your offer. I think I'll just keep hitting up the Walmart and hoping to get lucky. :)

I'm definitely making notes of the shops that I frequent that are gouging. And I've seen some outrageous prices, but $25 for 50 rounds of .22LR?!? Excuse my French but WHAT. THE. F***... I though the $7 for 50 price I saw the other day was high. Good LORD. Like Citizen, I'll cut a man a deal and sell him all I have at half that rate, lol.

I'm buying a lot, and it doesn't bother me to pay a little more because of the situation we're in, but I refuse to pay those stupid prices. While it's spotty, I'm finding decent to good prices on most everything at WalMart. Got three boxes of 115 grain 9mm yesterday for 10.97 for 50. I'm paying ~$20 for 50 round boxes of .40S&W, and I've been finding it there fairly regularly lately. 100 round boxes of Federal .223 can be had for 34.97 a box (though they're tougher to get obviously), and while I haven't seen any there for 3 weeks or so, I've bought many 100 round boxes of .22LR at less than $7 per.

Thanks for the tips. Saved me from CBBN's "special price." lol

CitizenBBN
03-06-2013, 11:29 AM
PM me what you're looking for, may be able to get it. Probably not these days, but you never know.

I respect people trying to make a profit, but there's also a difference between building a clientele and looking for suckers.

FWIW I think common sense saved you from that special price, lol. I'd be embarrassed to get that for 22. I know it's hard to come by but dang.

thedeerehunter
03-06-2013, 04:13 PM
SCORE! Finally got my Shield today. Picked up the girls from school and decided to run by the gun shop on a whim before we headed home. Lo and behold they had literally just got them off the truck, hadn't even unboxed their shipment yet. They had two and I bought 'em both; a .40 for me and a 9mm for the wife.