https://variety.com/2023/music/news/jeff-beck-guitarist-dead-dies-1235486491/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBluePappy
01-11-2023, 06:25 PM
A talent lost.
Godspeed and may he rest in peace.

blueboss
01-11-2023, 10:24 PM
I imagine he’s cruising along listening to freeway jam.

bigsky
01-12-2023, 12:14 AM
Great guitarist who did what he wanted.

kingcat
01-12-2023, 12:55 AM
This one has really bothered me. He did exactly what he wanted as was stated.

And Beck was one of the premier guitarists in history. Even by the high standards he set, he was somehow more than unique.
The guitar in his hand was every bit equal to the brush in Vincent Van Gogh’s. And the immersive soundscape for the sincere listener just as vivid.

A virtuoso.

bigsky
01-12-2023, 07:17 PM
Well said, kingcat

Doc
01-12-2023, 07:38 PM
Top 5 all time Ax man. Put him behind SRV, Hendrix, Clapton and Eddie VH

BigBluePappy
01-13-2023, 05:29 AM
I have absolutely NO issues with that top 5, with Billy Gibbons on deck at #6...

kingcat
01-13-2023, 11:22 AM
Top 5 all time Ax man. Put him behind SRV, Hendrix, Clapton and Eddie VH

That’s a great list for rock and blues, except that Beck crosses genres more so than those great players.
Much more than a rock guitarist. The things he could do with his hands and fingers combined with using the guitar itself in ways others only touched on makes me wonder if he is not above the others as an all around player and musical artist. They will all be remembered along with several others, but Beck more so toward the artistic side of music as a whole. He will be a bigger name as time goes on I believe and was never fully appreciated. He is not the greatest rock guitarist. Neither was Chet Adkins but Chet could do what those players never could approach doing without masking the tone of a plain old guitar and clean amp with electronics (which I love).
Chet could have done much of what those guitarist done however with just a little practice with the proper musical equipment for that particular style.

It’s all a matter of taste however and ear.

MickintheHam
01-13-2023, 12:58 PM
So very sad. He was one of the five greatest to ever pick up a guitar.

bigsky
01-14-2023, 03:45 PM
“Blow by Blow” forever changed the conversation about Jeff Beck.

dan_bgblue
01-14-2023, 04:22 PM
I have absolutely NO issues with that top 5, with Billy Gibbons on deck at #6...

Need to add a few if you do not mind, Mark Knopfler, Joe Walsh, Duane Allman, Jimmy Paige, David Gilmore, and Joe Perry in the rock category, and Roy Clark, and Chet Akins for the old men.

BigBluePappy
01-14-2023, 08:27 PM
Need to add a few if you do not mind, Mark Knopfler, Joe Walsh, Duane Allman, Jimmy Paige, David Gilmore, and Joe Perry in the rock category, and Roy Clark, and Chet Akins for the old men.

Do not mind at all and I will throw in a Jerry Reed...

blueboss
01-14-2023, 10:48 PM
Do not mind at all and I will throw in a Jerry Reed...

Not trying to turn this into a top 100 list, but in the old man / country side, Glenn Campbell, and Vince Gill can’t be left off of the list.

dan_bgblue
01-15-2023, 07:34 AM
Not trying to turn this into a top 100 list, but in the old man / country side, Glenn Campbell, and Vince Gill can’t be left off of the list.

2 of the best, and they deserve credit for all the studio work they did that was never recognized in live performances. Glen was acclaimed as the best studio guitarist in Nashville, and Muscle Shoals. Vince got to shine with The Eagles. He and Walsh made quite a team for that group.