PDA

View Full Version : Sh!&@t House Luck

blueboss
01-06-2023, 03:55 PM
Friend and working acquaintance’s father who was also my Dr for a bit passed away. My friend called me before the holidays and told me of his passing and told me he’d let me know when and where the arrangements are set… this tells me he wanted me to go.

Anyway, I go and do my due visitation diligence and leave. Get to my car and go to start it and the battery is dead. I don’t really know any of the mourners at the function other than the family members, so I can’t really go in and ask for a jump.

Irony… I have jump box in my trunk that is dead, it can be charged with a 110 outlet, or you can plug in to the car lighter and charge it if your battery isn’t dead.

Luckily a friend of mine lives close by and is going to come by and give my “dead” battery a jump (more irony)… in the funeral home parking lot, while the mourners and well wishers come and go.

…only me.

and maybe Darrell… lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
01-06-2023, 05:32 PM
Well, I was was in the hospital til 3am this morning. Does that count?

Food stuck in esophagus. Every 20 years like clockwork (2nd time).

All good, husky voice today and tired. Follow up in 2 weeks to stretch it.

KentuckyWildcat
01-06-2023, 06:14 PM

Been there. My stretch is next month.

Catfan73
01-06-2023, 06:24 PM
http://https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f1OqQG5MnQMGsU5lv5HlKedw

Darrell KSR
01-06-2023, 08:28 PM
Been there. My stretch is next month.Feel for ya (literally). Hang in there. Miserable when it's needed.

blueboss
01-06-2023, 10:20 PM

Darrell wins again, sort of.

All and all, I’d rather be stranded in the funeral home parking lot than in the hospital….

Feel better, sir.

Darrell KSR
01-06-2023, 11:13 PM
Was good enough to go to a Friday night wedding and reception for one of my daughter's friends who has adopted us.

My daughter and wife kinda class me up a bit, but I am feeling pretty good. Much better than last night at this time.

What a difference a day makes, huh? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230107/a66c7a0f886cc136fcaa6e72a420c022.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230107/7db7abd90518c221d3a040d5b1c7d005.jpg

blueboss
01-07-2023, 09:23 AM
Was good enough to go to a Friday night wedding and reception for one of my daughter's friends who has adopted us.

My daughter and wife kinda class me up a bit, but I am feeling pretty good. Much better than last night at this time.

What a difference a day makes, huh? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230107/a66c7a0f886cc136fcaa6e72a420c022.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230107/7db7abd90518c221d3a040d5b1c7d005.jpg

I didn’t know you had two daughters? Where’s the photo you referenced with your wife and daughter? You must have attached the wrong one, those young ladies are head turners.

KentuckyWildcat
01-07-2023, 06:34 PM
I think I'll stay on this board for a few days and talk about food stuck in our throat lol

Darrell KSR
01-07-2023, 06:50 PM
What have you had stuck in your throat?

For me, it's mainly chicken and sometimes rice, but rice eventually goes down. I've had steak get caught but the only two times I required a procedure to get it out (or down) it was chicken.

KentuckyWildcat
01-07-2023, 07:52 PM
Chicken! When I have had to go get it out, it has been chicken.

But oddly, I generally swallow chicken better than steak, so I rarely (almost never) eat steak. I may eat a small bite or two of my wife's steak when she gets one. I tend to stay with ground beef and sausage as those are easier to swallow.

I'm not sure how they do it for you, but they haven't went in to get the food. They give some kind of IV and about 45 minutes later my throat relaxes and the food goes down. Sounds great, but that stuff makes me feel like I'm burning from the inside out for about a two minutes.

Darrell KSR
01-07-2023, 08:10 PM
They x-rayed this time and the GI said don't bother with that. I guess she figured it wouldn't work.

She told me she had to use a "rat claw" to kind of pick at it before it would go down. I pictured in my mind something like pulling pulled pulled pork. Said it was stuck good, but it was soft and just impacted together. Probably because it had been there for about 5-1/2 hours by the time they got it.

I don't really remember that much from the first one or how they got it out. Both times were general anesthesia, though. I have a picture somewhere they made of it. I actually looked for it before I went to the hospital Thursday night in case it had the date or anything on it, but I couldn't find it on my computer.

Funny it's chicken for both of us. I'm like you, I prefer sausage and stuff like that which is easier to chew/swallow. Plus I like the taste lol.

KentuckyWildcat
01-07-2023, 08:38 PM
Doughy bread, cheese, and some meats are just difficult. I have something called EoE which is an auto immune disorder. Basically my throat stays swollen and inflamed. Food allergies make it worse, but I'm allergic to tomato, seafood, wheat, dairy, and eggs. Some are fairly minor, but they still make it worse.

Steroids are my friend, but I can't take them as often as I need. So I get an occasional stretch, and often have to get my food unstuck myself. Yes that is as lovely as it sounds lol

Eosinophilic esophagitis

KentuckyWildcat
01-07-2023, 08:40 PM
Note: if I ate much steak, I'm confident steak would have been the reason for an ER visit.

Darrell KSR
01-07-2023, 09:46 PM
Very interesting. 20 or so years ago I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, had bad acid reflux back then anyway, did the dilation, and been on my merry way with only occasional issues that always resolved.

The Doc Thursday night said that she suspected EOE, but they would have to "biopsy" it and it was too irritated. Might have been because it was after midnight by the time she started. (Funny thing - their own nurses were on call and came in. I apologized to them as they didn't leave til almost 3 am, and had to be back at 6, but they said it was OK, they got time and a half. Happy to help).

I'm allergic to shellfish (one of the first dates with my now wife ended in a Kenner, La ER with anaphylaxis reaction from eating shrimp), almost all nuts, oatmeal, sunflower seeds, sunflower oil, peanut butter, you name it. As far as I know, they tested for eggs, though, and I didn't show an allergic reaction to it. Don't know about tomato. So I don't know if that plays into this or not. I was a little out of it recovering from the anesthesia, but my wife said the Doc said it wasn't too narrow, but inflamed, which surprised me. So I haven't been diagnosed with that yet, just suspected.

All I had to eat Thursday were two eggs, a banana and honey sandwich, baked potato, tomato and lettuce salad with fat free Italian dressing, and ONE bite of chicken. Yup, first and only bite of a chicken breast.

So I don't know how all of that works, and maybe Jan 24 when I go back I will learn more. And I may not have that at all. But very interesting to hear of your issue. I'm not sure what I'm rooting for. None of it is good.

My wife and I are having a debate right now about the prilosec she told me to take (40mg daily). I think it's just precautionary until I return, but wife thinks it is permanent. I don't see how a PPI would have any impact over the issue I had - it wasn't GERD/acid reflux, and I don't see the correlation.

20 years ago they put me on prilosec daily "for the rest of my life," but I had bad acid reflux back then.

I lost weight, got more active and stopped taking it for the most part. I keep it around, but it is rare that I have indigestion, so I thought I had licked that part.

I'll give you more of my notes in a couple of weeks. I don't know what I hope it is lol.

And I know exactly what you mean about unsticking yourself. It's just a miserable experience that I hope nobody else has to share. Been there exactly before.

blueboss
01-08-2023, 10:04 AM
A little more irony, the post I made starting the thread, I mentioned the friend of mine who’s father passed was also my Dr for a while. He was a Dr of internal medicine who diagnosed me years ago with acid reflux and put me on daily Prilosec… he did all of the testing, arthroscopy procedure, along with the dye injection and then they invert you and take X-rays, to eliminate any thing more serious.

I stopped taking daily Prilosec several years ago, and also keep it around for heart burn flare ups. I rarely have heartburn, and is usually associated with fried food.

KentuckyWildcat
01-08-2023, 12:28 PM
I've been on acid reflux meds and it has never helped.

The thing with EoE is that a food intolerance can trigger it as much as a food allergy. Dairy and wheat are two of the worst, even if you are not allergic.

If you have it, you will likely be able to tell just with a camera. I guess the biopsy is for confirmation. Your esophagus will be very red with white eosinophils.

Good dose of steroids will help for about 6 months. The asthma inhaler that you are supposed to swallow and not inhale never helped. I recently had a steroid slurry (newer option). It might have helped some, but one round didn't do a lot for me. But if that is something I can take monthly or so? Then maybe. I think I'll find out more about that next month as well.

Note that doctors seem to know very little about how to fix it. I've seen 3 GI, one allergy doctor, and my primary care. None of them really agree.

blueboss
01-08-2023, 03:53 PM
…I also might add, I took my battery to get checked , it’s at 90%, and the alternator is fine.

While driving home after the event I noticed my headlight switch was not on “auto”, I think I left my lights on.

KentuckyWildcat
01-08-2023, 05:27 PM
…I also might add, I took my battery to get checked , it’s at 90%, and the alternator is fine.

While driving home after the event I noticed my headlight switch was not on “auto”, I think I left my lights on.

I hope so. Batteries these days can go out without much warning. And they can be expensive and hard to replace.

Darrell KSR
01-08-2023, 10:08 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSounds like a one-off. Hopefully that's the case. I've always heard that you can't let them go dead too much before they need replacing, but what do I know? I can't replace memory in a Palm Pilot.

blueboss
01-09-2023, 06:18 AM
I’m going to keep the jump box charged and in the vehicle…or I might just go ahead and change the dang battery.

KentuckyWildcat
01-10-2023, 12:24 PM
Darrell, I suspect this thread will fade away but come back and update us. I'll be curious on what they find out.

Darrell KSR
01-10-2023, 12:49 PM
I will. I'm sorry you have this, but it is good to talk to someone else who suffers from it and may be able to give me some advice.

I go next week and will just take it from there.

Darrell KSR
01-10-2023, 12:55 PM
I’m going to keep the jump box charged and in the vehicle…or I might just go ahead and change the dang battery.

I don't do much with cars, but there are 4 things I'm pretty decent with.

1. Getting good tires. I like them keeping me on the road. Right after my wife and I were married, I had to go from New Orleans to Lafayette, La. for something. The interstate was wet, and my tires were bad. I was driving, umm, a speed that probably exceeded the speed limit. All of a sudden, my car started spinning in circles, hydroplaning, and there was nothing I could do. It came to a stop on soft marshy ground about 100 feet short of a bayou. They had to get police out to stop the interstate while a tow truck driver pulled me out. Shook me up quite a bit, so I try to get good tires.

2. Replace battery as soon as it has any difficulty. Just too cheap not to do that. Even (for my cars) an expensive battery of $200, over 2, 3 or 4 years, is darn cheap.

3. Get oil changed when recommended. I go to a place that checks the car every time for everything. Sure, it has resulted in my infamous "$3,000 oil change," but it keeps the car in good working order. I have (edit-with wife/kids) a 1997 Jeep, a 2007 Nissan Sentra, a 2007 Honda CRV, a 2009 Honda Odyssey, a 2009 Lexus GX 470, a 2012 Hyundai Accent, and a 2016 Honda CRV, and I attribute the old cars still perking along to the fact that the oil is changed at a place that looks everything over every time.

4. Get brakes done when recommended. If the tires keep the car on the road, the brakes stop it when needed. Both are safety features; everything else is just convenience/inconvenience/or money. Brakes and tires are my non-negotiables (although it took a scary incident for me to realize that many years ago).

CitizenBBN
01-10-2023, 06:02 PM
Just catching up on this part of the board, so just reading this.

First, Darrell glad you're OK, and hope the diagnosis/prognosis is good. Sorry anyone has something like EoE which sounds completely awful.

Selfishly I'm going to read this as well b/c my GF has something not unsimilar going on and remains undiagnosed. 30 years ago she was "diagnosed" with a hernia, supposedly a large one. I pushed her to revisit that and she had another upper done. Guess what? No hernia. Well, a very small place not where she has troubles, but clearly it's something else.

So we are on the hunt to figure out her issues, and these aren't all that far from them, but I don't think it's an allergy. At this point I'm not closing off options though.

KentuckyWildcat
01-10-2023, 08:49 PM
Just catching up on this part of the board, so just reading this.

First, Darrell glad you're OK, and hope the diagnosis/prognosis is good. Sorry anyone has something like EoE which sounds completely awful.

Selfishly I'm going to read this as well b/c my GF has something not unsimilar going on and remains undiagnosed. 30 years ago she was "diagnosed" with a hernia, supposedly a large one. I pushed her to revisit that and she had another upper done. Guess what? No hernia. Well, a very small place not where she has troubles, but clearly it's something else.

So we are on the hunt to figure out her issues, and these aren't all that far from them, but I don't think it's an allergy. At this point I'm not closing off options though.

You live in Lexington right? Cincinnati is a leader in EoE for kids. So probably adults as well. If it goes that direction.

It is traditionally more common in kids.

Darrell KSR
01-29-2023, 04:16 PM
I have my dilation and biopsy scheduled end of next month. Fortunately, they can do it at the same time. They dilate with a balloon that misses the point where they biopsy. She wanted it to heal up perfectly, and told me to go ahead and stop prilosec, which I don't think I needed anyway.

KentuckyWildcat
01-29-2023, 05:49 PM
My next scope is Feb 22

MickintheHam
01-30-2023, 12:20 PM
What have you had stuck in your throat?

For me, it's mainly chicken and sometimes rice, but rice eventually goes down. I've had steak get caught but the only two times I required a procedure to get it out (or down) it was chicken.

Chicken can be bad. Wash your rice before you cook it. I rinse mine with water 3 to 5 times through a strainer. It removes starch. Boil covered for 15 minutes. Remove from burner. Lift lid and place a clean kitchen towel over pot and replace lid. Let it sit for 15 more minutes. Rice is fluffy and pretty well separated into individual grains. It is the best rice ever. I have’t had a throat problem eating it in years. Try it. I promise you will notice a difference.

I am prone to throat problems with certain foods and always associate the problems with stickiness and dryness.

Darrell KSR
02-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Chicken can be bad. Wash your rice before you cook it. I rinse mine with water 3 to 5 times through a strainer. It removes starch. Boil covered for 15 minutes. Remove from burner. Lift lid and place a clean kitchen towel over pot and replace lid. Let it sit for 15 more minutes. Rice is fluffy and pretty well separated into individual grains. It is the best rice ever. I have’t had a throat problem eating it in years. Try it. I promise you will notice a difference.

I am prone to throat problems with certain foods and always associate the problems with stickiness and dryness.

I missed this, Mick. I'll relay that to my wife. If that's the case, maybe I can eat some rice at home at least. I'll cook the rice if she won't.

I have such allergies and food intolerances it may not have to do with that as much as something else I ate inflamed the passageway. Who knows? I did a scratch test at Alabama Allergy down 280 two years ago and "hit" on 61 of the 64 things they tested me on, to varying degrees from "you'll get a rash" to a "you'll die with a rash," so it could be some combination, too.

Still looking forward to the dilation. It will be interesting to see if they confirm (or reject) the EoE diagnosis, too. I really don't fit the typical patient with it, so it may not be the case, either. I really hope it's not the case, as it seems to be a pain in the rear to figure out what food(s) could cause the issue, as I understand it could be weeks or months beforehand that you ate the food before it starts an issue.

KentuckyWildcat
02-21-2023, 07:45 PM
My scope is in the morning. I'm already hungry for lunch tomorrow :)

I just had my last meal for the day. Oreos with milk. Why not... lol

Darrell KSR
02-21-2023, 08:08 PM
My scope is in the morning. I'm already hungry for lunch tomorrow :)

I just had my last meal for the day. Oreos with milk. Why not... lol

I know you're old hat with it, but still, good luck and hope it all goes well.

I just finished two pieces of King Cake. FIL brought 3 King Cakes with him when I picked him up in New Orleans last week.

I'm a week behind. Next Tuesday I get the dilation and biopsy. Glad for one, interested in the other.

KentuckyWildcat
02-22-2023, 06:41 AM
I'd never heard of King Cake. That sounds amazing.

MickintheHam
02-22-2023, 11:13 AM
I'd never heard of King Cake. That sounds amazing.

Oh my! King Cake is great. I have found a lot of good ones in Birmingham, but the best are baked in NOLA. It seems every workplace here has one. Fantastic! Alabama, Mobile specifically, is home to Mardi Gras.

Darrell KSR
02-23-2023, 08:21 AM
King Cake is the bomb, man. Oh, my is it ridiculously good. Manny Randazzo's makes THE best. If you are ever in New Orleans during Mardi Gras season, that's your go-to. My father-in-law will be 92 years old in May. Last week before we picked him up, he went to Manny Randazzo's at 8 am to stand in line to get a King Cake (it opened at 7), and the line was a block and a half long already. He and my late MIL used to go buy many, and ship them all over the country to their children and grandchildren who lived out of state. They used to send us 3, and they can be frozen, so 2 would be immediately frozen for later occasions.

There are also great ones from other places, but I'll always associate King Cake with Randazzo's.

The rage in New Orleans right now is Dong Phuong King Cake. Dong Phuong is the oldest Vietnamese bakery in New Orleans. After seeing the line, my FIL went to another place that gets various King Cakes from all around delivered fresh every morning, and they sell them at a profit. There was a limit of one Manny Randazzo's, so he picked up a Randazzo's, a Dong Phuong, and I can't remember the 3rd one, because my son left with that one. I'll edit later when I find out. The Dong Phuong one had kind of a cream cheese icing, and the cake was lighter, more "cake-like," I guess. Very good, but not traditional King Cake to me, which has that super sweet icing and the dense, doughy, delicious cake that is perfect for being able to stuff a plastic baby in. I think Dong Phuong makes different types, though, but that's the one we had (and still have a little this morning in the kitchen as I walked by).

I just read an article on January 6 that said that Dong Phuong already had a waiting list nationwide for their 2023 King Cakes, so you were likely out of luck if you wanted one this season. January 6 is when the three kings gathered to visit baby Jesus in the manger, so that is the kickoff for all the King Cake bakeries in New Orleans. Randazzo's is open January 6, but close Fat Tuesday, so they have a less than 2 month year to do all of their business. It carries the family for the entire year. They spend a month before getting everything ready, and spend some time afterward cleaning up everything, making plans for the following year, but basically, they have 8 months off every year.

dan_bgblue
02-24-2023, 07:30 AM
King Cake is the bomb, man. Oh, my is it ridiculously good. Manny Randazzo's makes THE best. If you are ever in New Orleans during Mardi Gras season, that's your go-to. My father-in-law will be 92 years old in May. Last week before we picked him up, he went to Manny Randazzo's at 8 am to stand in line to get a King Cake (it opened at 7), and the line was a block and a half long already. He and my late MIL used to go buy many, and ship them all over the country to their children and grandchildren who lived out of state. They used to send us 3, and they can be frozen, so 2 would be immediately frozen for later occasions.

There are also great ones from other places, but I'll always associate King Cake with Randazzo's.

The rage in New Orleans right now is Dong Phuong King Cake. Dong Phuong is the oldest Vietnamese bakery in New Orleans. After seeing the line, my FIL went to another place that gets various King Cakes from all around delivered fresh every morning, and they sell them at a profit. There was a limit of one Manny Randazzo's, so he picked up a Randazzo's, a Dong Phuong, and I can't remember the 3rd one, because my son left with that one. I'll edit later when I find out. The Dong Phuong one had kind of a cream cheese icing, and the cake was lighter, more "cake-like," I guess. Very good, but not traditional King Cake to me, which has that super sweet icing and the dense, doughy, delicious cake that is perfect for being able to stuff a plastic baby in. I think Dong Phuong makes different types, though, but that's the one we had (and still have a little this morning in the kitchen as I walked by).

I just read an article on January 6 that said that Dong Phuong already had a waiting list nationwide for their 2023 King Cakes, so you were likely out of luck if you wanted one this season. January 6 is when the three kings gathered to visit baby Jesus in the manger, so that is the kickoff for all the King Cake bakeries in New Orleans. Randazzo's is open January 6, but close Fat Tuesday, so they have a less than 2 month year to do all of their business. It carries the family for the entire year. They spend a month before getting everything ready, and spend some time afterward cleaning up everything, making plans for the following year, but basically, they have 8 months off every year.

Will Manny's accept orders a year in advance for a cake to be frozen and packed in dry ice and shipped out of state? I have never had a taste of the NO King Cake and would like to try it, but am not driving down just to stand in line for a day or two to get one.

Catfan73
02-24-2023, 09:11 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXedC4qdkgo

dan_bgblue
02-24-2023, 01:50 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXedC4qdkgo

I was trying to figure out how they were going to tie that into the King Cake, and that wound up being a gotcha moment for me.

KentuckyWildcat
02-24-2023, 08:37 PM
I know you're old hat with it, but still, good luck and hope it all goes well.

This poor thread never had a chance.

Fun week. Scope on Wednesday. Wisdom tooth pulled yesterday. Daughter has a friend over tonight...

Was not happy with the scope. This was my first time going to Owensboro. I just got tired of going to Vandy and that Dr. just wanted to stretch every time. This was my first time seeing this doctor as I had been seeing a Nurse practitioner, which I really liked. But the Dr obviously had not looked at my medical history. She stretched me and gave me a prescription for acid reflux and an inhaler that you swallow. Been there done that, it doesn't help me. This was literally my treatment in 2010 as part of a study at Vandy in 2010. Again medical history chart...

Both my allergy doc and the practitioner have talked about newer treatments. I'll take the reflux meds to make my wife happy. But I'm not the inhaler because it does not work and insurance does not pay for it. $125 a month out of my own pocket, nope. Yeah, I'm still grumpy lol

She did put a note on my chart about an injectable medicine called Dupixent. I have a follow up next month with the practitioner. I'll talk to her more then.

Darrell KSR
02-27-2023, 10:00 AM
Keep us informed. The Duplixent* thing sounds interesting. I'm more or less new (again, I guess) to all of this.

Have my procedure at 6 a.m. tomorrow. Well, 7 a.m., but I have to be there at 6. Bleh. Was scheduled at 9, so they moved it up 2 hours. Guess it's better to get it over with early anyway.

* The always reliable Wikipedia says this about that--"Dupilumab, sold under the brand name Dupixent, is a monoclonal antibody blocking interleukin 4 and interleukin 13, used for allergic diseases such as eczema, asthma and nasal polyps which result in chronic sinusitis. It is also used for the treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis and prurigo nodularis."

dan_bgblue
02-27-2023, 06:11 PM
Gonna have my first Rooter to Tooter exam at 7:00 am Wed. Given the timing of that, I get to stay up all Tuesday night drinking nasty stuff.

Darrell KSR
02-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Gonna have my first Rooter to Tooter exam at 7:00 am Wed. Given the timing of that, I get to stay up all Tuesday night drinking nasty stuff.

That part didn't bother me, but my wife couldn't stand it, and could barely get it down. I didn't think the taste was bad; just goes to show I'm a weird dude, I guess.

Had my dilation this morning and biopsy. Didn't seem that bad; stretched from 15mm to 18. I think they have a "rule of 3" that is all they ever do with one dilation, but as far as I know, that's where it's going to stay, and the 15mm wasn't too bad. She told me 20mm was normal, but in reading around, it looks like 18-20 might be normal, and even lower is ok.

Without getting the lab reports back, she also seemed less positive that EoE was the culprit. Also took some stomach stuff that she thought needed to be looked at, but didn't seem worried about that, just while she was there, might as well kinda stuff.

All in all, a pretty blah experience without a lot of optimism, other than hopefully the stretching alone will be enough for awhile. Will know more when I go back for the follow-up.

KentuckyWildcat
02-28-2023, 03:05 PM
Glad it went well. I hope it isn't EoE.

Perhaps Darryl will weigh in on Dupixent at some point.

KentuckyWildcat
02-28-2023, 03:07 PM

Have fun. Like Darrell, I didn't mind it. I'm not saying it is enjoyable. But not the worst thing in the world either. Just know that once you start, make sure you are ready to stay inside all evening. At some point, you cannot hold it back :)

BigBluePappy
02-28-2023, 05:23 PM

Ah, the night of a thousand waterfalls...
Prayers for you Brother Dan.

Catfan73
02-28-2023, 05:26 PM
It’s a lot easier if you stop eating about a day and a half beforehand and just sip Gatorade. Guess it’s too late for that.

KentuckyWildcat
02-28-2023, 06:44 PM
At least the thread is now appropriately named.

Darrell KSR
02-28-2023, 06:48 PM
At least the thread is now appropriately named.Lol. Touche.

Darrell KSR
02-28-2023, 09:07 PM
Funniest part of my morning?

They first told me I'd be a little disoriented when I left, but it would wear off quickly. I said, so... "normal Tuesday."

They chuckled a bit.

They then said "don't make any legal decisions today."

I said, "Great. I've been looking for a reason to make some illegal decisions!"

They weren't chuckling. They repeated, "no, really, you don't need to make any legal decisions today."

I sighed and said, "OK. But is it OK if I work this afternoon?"

They asked me what I did.

"I'm a lawyer," I deadpanned.

They gave up. "Well, we can't really control what you do after you leave here."

I think they were glad to see me leave.

Darrell KSR
03-01-2023, 07:37 AM
Oh, I also apparently took a swing at the nurse anesthetist, according to what he told my wife. He said that I took a swing at him and he told me that he wasn't in my house. I guess it was a good thing I wasn't packing.

Catfan73
03-01-2023, 09:06 AM
Waiting for the Darrell pat down!

Darrell KSR
03-01-2023, 10:23 AM
I laughed about it. I am not a violent person, I promise. I don't know where that came from (and I don't remember any of it.)

dan_bgblue
03-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Have fun. Like Darrell, I didn't mind it. I'm not saying it is enjoyable. But not the worst thing in the world either. Just know that once you start, make sure you are ready to stay inside all evening. At some point, you cannot hold it back :)

My wife had me prepared for some terrible tasting stuff. I Included the lemon flavored packet, got it really cold in the fridge, and like you guys,and did not think it was bad enough to complain about.

KentuckyWildcat
03-01-2023, 11:54 AM
I laughed about it. I am not a violent person, I promise. I don't know where that came from (and I don't remember any of it.)

Apparently, I fought them once. And I think they just kept knocking me out. To the point, I didn't wake up until the next day. I'm not violate, but in the fight or flight scenario, I tend to fight. So, I probably thought I was fighting off something.

One other time I kept dropping the F bomb. I cuss some, but not a lot. Rarely drop the F bomb.

blueboss
03-01-2023, 08:29 PM
I cancelled a colonoscopy I had scheduled for next week. After having the shoulder surgery 17 days ago I am unable to lay on left side yet.

Who knew they can’t do a right handed colonoscopy. So now it’s pushed out (pun) until late April.

Oh, and I get to have a kidney stone pulverized via sonar, or voodoo or whatever it is they do.

…been a rough year.

KentuckyWildcat
03-01-2023, 11:50 PM
I cancelled a colonoscopy I had scheduled for next week. After having the shoulder surgery 17 days ago I am unable to lay on left side yet.

Who knew they can’t do a right handed colonoscopy. So now it’s pushed out (pun) until late April.

Oh, and I get to have a kidney stone pulverized via sonar, or voodoo or whatever it is they do.

…been a rough year.

I've had a few colonoscopies done. I do not remember what side I laid on. Who would have thought that matters?

Another issue I have...had my first kidney stone at 43 on my birthday. Found out that day I have a 2nd one, it is 6mm. 2nd follow up on that is in April, I think? I may have them break it up. I passed a 3mm. Is a 6mm twice as bad? Break it up or pass? Opinions?

dan_bgblue
03-02-2023, 06:07 AM
Never thought that which side I lay on made a difference but I do remember the nurse telling me to roll over onto my left side which meant I had to roll towards her, and she helped get me started the movement, but I was already close to going under and thinking about it never happened.

Catfan73
03-02-2023, 07:04 AM
Best nap ever!

blueboss
03-02-2023, 07:46 PM
I've had a few colonoscopies done. I do not remember what side I laid on. Who would have thought that matters?

Another issue I have...had my first kidney stone at 43 on my birthday. Found out that day I have a 2nd one, it is 6mm. 2nd follow up on that is in April, I think? I may have them break it up. I passed a 3mm. Is a 6mm twice as bad? Break it up or pass? Opinions?

Mine was 9mm and has grown to 11mm since last December… I’m going with treatment. I asked about busting it up and having to deal with passing a bunch of small stones. He was confident that there would mostly be powder left to pass. I’m having a busy year…

KentuckyWildcat
03-02-2023, 07:57 PM
Mine was 9mm and has grown to 11mm since last December… I’m going with treatment. I asked about busting it up and having to deal with passing a bunch of small stones. He was confident that there would mostly be powder left to pass. I’m having a busy year…

Dad has a 9. I've been told a 6 isn't bad and I've been told you can't pass a 6. I'm guessing the truth is in the middle. I won't even try to imagine a 9 or 11 lol

Darrell KSR
03-02-2023, 08:24 PM
Man, I thought 6 was large. They all seem painful to me.

Lab reports back today, and "nothing to worry about," said the doctor. Just eosinophilic esophagitis. She said that explained things. I go back in a few weeks, where we will discuss more.

KentuckyWildcat
03-03-2023, 07:50 AM
Man, I thought 6 was large. They all seem painful to me.

Lab reports back today, and "nothing to worry about," said the doctor. Just eosinophilic esophagitis. She said that explained things. I go back in a few weeks, where we will discuss more.

You are the second person I know with it :)

Below are some Tony tips:

1) Wheat and dairy seem to be two of the bigger triggers. When I say trigger...I've never tied any certain food to being an instant reaction.

2) Don't drink when you eat. Sounds crazy I know. lol But the only feeling worse than stuck food is stuck liquid! I do drink when I eat, but I take pauses and breaks. I never just take a drink right after swallowing food.

3) Small sips if you are unsure if your food is stuck. edit: Small sips before big drinks are a good idea.

4) Allergy season seems to make it worse. Stay on top of your allergy and sinus meds if you take those.

5) Always locate the restroom before you eat at a restaurant. This can be important :)

6) I think we already talked about doughy foods, cheese, and meats. Those can be boogers to swallow.

blueboss
04-03-2023, 04:45 PM
Ok, I mis-spoke, my stone was 7 and grew to 9.. so today I went through:

Shock-wave lithotripsy is a noninvasive procedure that uses high-energy sound waves to blast the stones into fragments that are then more easily passed out in the urine.

… was successful, I’m supposed to stay off my feet for the next 24 hours, drink lots of water and strain urine to retrieve stone fragments for follow up visit next week.

I’m having me a year…shoulder, kidney stones, colonoscopy scheduled at end of month.

…oh yeah, I had a cavity that required getting a filling.

Darrell KSR
04-03-2023, 05:22 PM
You are the second person I know with it :)

Below are some Tony tips:

1) Wheat and dairy seem to be two of the bigger triggers. When I say trigger...I've never tied any certain food to being an instant reaction.

2) Don't drink when you eat. Sounds crazy I know. lol But the only feeling worse than stuck food is stuck liquid! I do drink when I eat, but I take pauses and breaks. I never just take a drink right after swallowing food.

3) Small sips if you are unsure if your food is stuck. edit: Small sips before big drinks are a good idea.

4) Allergy season seems to make it worse. Stay on top of your allergy and sinus meds if you take those.

5) Always locate the restroom before you eat at a restaurant. This can be important :)

6) I think we already talked about doughy foods, cheese, and meats. Those can be boogers to swallow.

Yeah, the first time I remember going to a restaurant and having to visit the restroom for about 30 minutes before achieving success was with my new boss in Montgomery, Alabama in 1989. This has been with me for a long, long time.

My allergies are near legendary. Zyrtec daily and four shots of Flonase currently, but probably going to change that if I can get into see my new allergist.

My problem children food seem to be rice (the worst) and meats in general, chicken in particular. Maybe I just eat more chicken. But chicken and rice is a really bad combination, although I love the dish.

I usually have water with me, but eat until I have stopped eating and just feel thirsty. I don't drink to force it down. Sounds like the tried and true plan is pretty common.

Headed back to the gastroenterologist in the morning. I hate it, but she has me on two prilosec daily now. I'm fine with that if it serves a purpose, but she's going to have to explain it to me carefully. I don't suffer from GERD--I used to, but that's just not my issue, and hasn't been for many years now. The proton pump inhibitor probably does something else, but acid reflux is what it seems to be marketed for, and that just isn't a big deal with me. I mean, occasionally, and if that happens, happen to go through several days, or even two weeks of it. But not a 14 tablet dose per week, every week. She's going to really have to convince me of that.

(For the record, I have taken it since my dilation, because those were my instructions post-procedure. I was going to be a good patient until I can talk to her about it. I don't think it's necessary or helpful, but you know, I'm not a doctor.)

Darrell KSR
04-03-2023, 05:23 PM
Ok, I mis-spoke, my stone was 7 and grew to 9.. so today I went through:

Shock-wave lithotripsy is a noninvasive procedure that uses high-energy sound waves to blast the stones into fragments that are then more easily passed out in the urine.

… was successful, I’m supposed to stay off my feet for the next 24 hours, drink lots of water and strain urine to retrieve stone fragments for follow up visit next week.

I’m having me a year…shoulder, kidney stones, colonoscopy scheduled at end of month.

…oh yeah, I had a cavity that required getting a filling.

You're just having all kind of fun these days, blueboss. I'd almost say we're getting ol...no, I won't go there...

Hang in there, you are having a time.

blueboss
04-03-2023, 07:11 PM
You're just having all kind of fun these days, blueboss. I'd almost say we're getting ol...no, I won't go there...

Hang in there, you are having a time.

Good news, late last year I had a bladder scare, turned out to be benign. Today while I was laid out, and they were already in the neighborhood they took a look-see in the bladder… all good!!

KentuckyWildcat
04-06-2023, 08:21 AM
Great to hear Blueboss!

blueboss
04-14-2023, 08:41 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230414/dcdd9d2c06c2dc982386f603334db565.jpg

BigBluePappy
05-15-2023, 07:57 AM
Well, I guess I get to join the club when it comes to getting stuff stuck in your craw. Went to see my granddaughter graduate ( Sociology and Anthropology) in prep for what she has her heart set on, Real Estate Law. Best yet. She graduated DEBT FREE!
Grammy and I go out afterwards to celebrate. I get a piece of steak stuck in my esophagus right about solar plexus level.
This is 2:30 Saturday afternoon. A trip to the ER at 4:30, and after being given Nitroglycerin and a massive dose of something that elevated my Blood Sugar, I went through a series of Pro Day workouts and told to "chug" a diet soda.
They are having to repaint ER16 at Jewish South in Brooks, KY.
Transferred to Jewish in downtown Louisville where I continue to have the heaves and hiccups until being taken into surgery at 8:00 Sunday.
I had that son of a gun jammed in there tighter than Dick's hat band.
Discharged about 12:30 ...
Feel like I have been hit by a dump truck, but thankful that I had arranged for Miss Peg's Mother's Day ahead of time.
Getting old stinks, but it beats the alternative.

Darrell KSR
05-15-2023, 10:13 AM
Oh, so sorry, Pappy. Congrats on your granddaughter's graduation, though!

We discussed all of the options you went through at my daughter's hospital (well, she doesn't own it, but works there) with the two ER doctors. They said the "book" was to try those treatments, but that they felt it was a waste of time and to reduce my suffering, they called the gastroenterologist on call to have the impact removed surgically. I know how miserable it was just for a few hours, but going from 2:30 Saturday to Sunday must have been just awful, and exhausting as well.

BigBluePappy
05-15-2023, 06:24 PM

It wasn't an all bad day...I am the ugly one on the right.
So sorry about the background...

Darrell KSR
05-15-2023, 07:44 PM
Great looking picture! I wouldnt even have noticed the background with the beaming family pic there, beautiful women and a distinguished looking guy. You class up this joint!

BigBluePappy
05-15-2023, 07:51 PM
You are too kind. The women folk, you are spot on...

blueboss
05-15-2023, 11:12 PM

It wasn't an all bad day...I am the ugly one on the right.
So sorry about the background...

Great picture, with your daughter and granddaughter!

KentuckyWildcat
05-31-2023, 04:25 PM
Having a kidney stone busted up Friday. Anyone had this done? How bad is it?

blueboss
05-31-2023, 08:41 PM
Having a kidney stone busted up Friday. Anyone had this done? How bad is it?

I had it done in March. Piece of cake, they knock you out. Passing smaller pieces should go un-noticed if it works.

Darrell KSR
05-31-2023, 08:43 PM
Beats not having it done, I hear.

Knock on wood, haven't had that one yet.

KentuckyWildcat
06-02-2023, 06:24 PM
Sore, nauseous, and pissing straight blood. All things are perfectly normal according to the doctor. lol

I should be fine to coach our tournament tomorrow.

KentuckyWildcat
06-02-2023, 09:31 PM
Rough or hour so. Really painful, finally threw up. Feel much better now. Not sure if the pain meds kicked in, hugging the toilet, or ice that helped. Probably should not have practiced tonight. Or at least, just stood around.

Darrell KSR
06-29-2023, 10:36 PM
Feeling all better, KentuckyWildcat? How's the team?

blueboss
06-30-2023, 06:35 PM
Rough or hour so. Really painful, finally threw up. Feel much better now. Not sure if the pain meds kicked in, hugging the toilet, or ice that helped. Probably should not have practiced tonight. Or at least, just stood around.

Was it the anesthesia that got ya? I was groggy and was urinating blood for a couple of days, but never really experienced any severe pain. He also told me to lay on my back somewhat inverted off the edge of the bed to help move the crushed up stones…. All while pounding lots of water. Follow up X-ray showed my stone is busted up but not all of it has passed, so TBD

KentuckyWildcat
07-01-2023, 09:08 PM
Feeling all better, KentuckyWildcat? How's the team?

Was it the anesthesia that got ya? I was groggy and was urinating blood for a couple of days, but never really experienced any severe pain. He also told me to lay on my back somewhat inverted off the edge of the bed to help move the crushed up stones…. All while pounding lots of water. Follow up X-ray showed my stone is busted up but not all of it has passed, so TBD

Sorry, been on vacation.

Kindey stones are much better. The follow up x-ray did not see anything. So I assume the pain I had that night was the passing of fragments? Or just doing too much at practice? Next time, I might take my pain meds in advance, I just always try to avoid them if I can. Anesthesia? I don't think it had anything to do with that night. But I did struggle sleeping for the next 3-4 nights. Anesthesia always messes with me but that was a first. I assume it was the anesthesia.

Team is good. Last tournament got canceled so we did two scrimmages with a team from Marshall County. Turned it into a day of fellowship and grilling. Great day for all of the girls, they now have friends on another team in a different county. Slight break from playing because of vacations and the holiday. We end with two tournaments in July before we officially become a 9U team.

Stay hydrated and inside, dad ended up in the ER with heat exhaustion today. Near heat stroke.

KentuckyWildcat
07-01-2023, 09:18 PM
The advantage of my brother and I running a local park. We can have impromptu games :) A few pictures from that day.