PDA

View Full Version : Eggnog or any Christmas/Holiday adult fun drinks you enjoy?

Darrell KSR
12-21-2022, 03:26 PM
I guess I'm really thinking more like Christmas Eve/Christmas Day; New Year's Eve/New Year's Day, etc. as opposed to something you might drink normally or all holiday season long.

I've never been a fan of eggnog. Do you like it? Do you drink it?

Do you sit around the fire with your favorite bourbon? Glass of wine?

We make a big tub of Cranberry Slush. Maybe I should say a bucket, tub sounds kind of bad, doesn't it? I'm not sure exactly what goes in it, but I'm pretty sure whiskey is the main ingredient. I mean, cranberry juice. And it does go in the freezer, and tries to freeze, but fails.

Catfan73
12-21-2022, 04:25 PM
I like eggnog but it’s like fruitcake—it needs bourbon. The cranberry slush sounds good.

KentuckyWildcat
12-21-2022, 04:27 PM
Nope, not me. My drinking habits are similar to a 10 year old. Mostly water, sprite, coca-cola, and a kool-aid type of drink.

Story: We were headed to Siesta Key and stopped in Gainsville at the ER for my 1 year-old that got sick. Ironically our nurse was from Hopkinsville, KY. We talked for a while, and he said he was going home for Holidays for the first time in several years. A few minutes after he left, he came back and knocked on our door, stuck his head in like he was sorry to bother us (he wasn't bothering us at all, that hospital was fantastic). He asked, "do they still sale boiled custard back home?" We told him they did, and it made his day. Apparently boiled custard is not common in Florida? Or at least in the stores he goes to.

dan_bgblue
12-21-2022, 05:53 PM
I thought vodka went with cranberry juice. I never drank that drink but had a friend that loved it. Vodka drinkers keep their bottles in the freezer.

I like eggnog, and generally drink 4 to 6 ounces of that mixed with 1 1/2 to 2 ounces of a quality bourbon on Thanksgiving,
Christmas eve and then again on Christmas afternoon. Then if I feel the need to have a new years eve drink it will be one bourbon highball.

I try my best to limit my bourbon intake to those holiday drinks as I love the taste of good bourbon and need to stay away from it the rest of the year or it could become a bad habit.

bigsky
12-21-2022, 08:21 PM
Doubt anyone knows boiled custard in Montana. Have not have that in years.

Sorry, Dan. A great juicy pinot noir?

KentuckyWildcat
12-21-2022, 08:40 PM
I don't really drink. I jokingly say I do at times. I may occasionally sample a drink here or there just try it. But I'm too tight to drink very much. But I will say eggnog is better with bourbon.

bigsky
12-21-2022, 10:45 PM
Only time I ever saw boiled custard was in a half gallon jar my grandmother’s fridge in Mortons Gap. Basically a moonshiner’s jar but she’d never allow alcohol in the house if she could help it. So not a moonshiner’s jar.

I will take my bourbon without the eggnog.

Making eggnog requires the dairy to dump a lot of milk solids. Now we at the city didn’t know that all the ratepayers were subsidizing eggnog. (all the milk processing, actually.) I found that out when I was Mayor and the dairygold milk plant in town would blow up the wastewater treatment plant every Nov/December. If we charged them it would be $50k a month. So the figured a way to haul in Nov/Dec and we raised the rates the rest of the year but not enough to drive them away. So we probably still subsidize eggnog a bit.

I like bourbon over a few cubes. Easier to titrate the dose when it’s just those two ounces to sip.

Will say I enjoy a Rebecca Ruth bourbon ball at Christmas. Mmmmm chocolate and bourbon. Ho ho ho

CitizenBBN
12-21-2022, 11:02 PM
Is tequila a holiday drink? As long as I do the shots out of a glass with a holiday theme? They have Christmas in Mexico so I think it's OK.

Cranberry juice is OK with vodka, but mostly it's good for making Southern Comfort taste palatable.

Seriously, I love eggnog and booze at Christmas. Christmas I'm mostly down to running sterno through a fish tank filter because the booze budget is gone and I have to pay the utility bills b/c it's so cold, so eggnog is great for cutting it some.

Also put some nutmeg in it. Fresh ground, not the cheap stuff. One must maintain one's standards after all.

MickintheHam
12-22-2022, 12:16 AM
For Christmas I fix Poinsettias. One oz each of orange liqueur and cranberry juice in a cocktail glass finished with Prosecco. If there is enough prep lead time i’ll fill an ice cube tray with cranberry juice and drop one cubet in the glasses before the Prosecco.

If you wish take a sprig of fresh rosemary, add one or two fresh cranberries to the bottom of the stem for garnish.