PDA

View Full Version : Meteorite hits Urals region of Russia

Catonahottinroof
02-15-2013, 05:01 AM
http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/

I can't imagine being caught up, or being witness to something like this. The video in the link is eye popping.

jazyd
02-15-2013, 08:56 AM
wild isn't it.

dan_bgblue
02-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Global warming is the cause.

jazyd
02-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Al Gore already has a video out asking for even more money

Global warming is the cause.

CitizenBBN
02-15-2013, 09:36 PM
I hate to use the word "cool" but that's an amazing sight. It got so bright it was like a giant flashbulb on a camera. No Tanguska but no one was there to see that one either.

Catonahottinroof
02-15-2013, 11:40 PM
To have affordable auto insurance, most Russians have dash cameras in their cars. There are numerous dash videos of this event.

CitizenBBN
02-16-2013, 07:43 PM
To have affordable auto insurance, most Russians have dash cameras in their cars. There are numerous dash videos of this event.

Seriously? I wondered how it was these guys just happened to seem so prepared video-wise to capture this. Figured it was cell phones. Is that to prevent theft, how they are driving? Weird.

Catonahottinroof
02-16-2013, 07:51 PM
For your viewing pleasure. 3 of thousands of these on YouTube. Traffic laws are merely a suggestion there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTb4CGhp_eo&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU3Cw8WoJrs&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeN7zJhtg60&sns=em

Seriously? I wondered how it was these guys just happened to seem so prepared video-wise to capture this. Figured it was cell phones. Is that to prevent theft, how they are driving? Weird.

BigBlueBrock
02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Russia is a truly awful place.

Darrell KSR
02-18-2013, 10:32 AM

I was told it was because so many pedestrians threw themselves in front of cars in efforts to scam insurance money. That's just what somebody told me; might be theft or something else instead.

Catfan73
02-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Ice in vodka good, vodka in belly then driving on ice not so good.

Catfan73
02-18-2013, 04:31 PM
I've watched that third video three times and still can't figure out what caused that one van to pop a wheelie. Did he get snagged on a power line or something?

Catonahottinroof
02-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Trolley car lost his power line, and it found the aforementioned vehicle.

Amazing what finds its way on to video these days.

Catonahottinroof
02-18-2013, 05:47 PM
I've not been to Russia, but I have been to Ukraine. The most shining example of asshatery behind the wheel is at stop lights. Only 2 lanes exist, but 8 cars are lined up, horns going off, waiting for the green. Roundabouts are life and death. Never had too much fear in a car till I was in Ukraine.
Poland is better, but still the Wild West compared to Kentucky.

KSRBEvans
02-19-2013, 12:49 PM
^Sounds a lot like Puerto Rico when I was stationed there many moons ago. 2 lanes would back up, and someone would create a 3rd lane on the shoulder. Then if the grass was level, someone would create a 4th lane there, and so on until all available space was full, both on the road and off.

Then there was the time we were coming back from San Juan and we were going about 45, and the guy in the lane next to us was going about 40--backward. :confused0053:

As for the asteroid--it really kind of points out how secure we can be in our "knowledge," and how quickly we can be humbled. No one knew this was coming, and it could happen again and we wouldn't know it was coming. We only know about the big ones, and then we have to hope we know what we think we know.

BigBlueBrock
02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
As for the asteroid--it really kind of points out how secure we can be in our "knowledge," and how quickly we can be humbled. No one knew this was coming, and it could happen again and we wouldn't know it was coming. We only know about the big ones, and then we have to hope we know what we think we know.

Objects the size of the one that hit Russia are hard to track because they're so small (relatively) and they're moving so fast (this one was moving nearly 60,000 ft/s***). Doesn't help that NASA's budget is less than 1% of the overall federal budget, and the budget for tracking these kinds of objects within NASA is even smaller.

***For reference on the speed, a Minuteman ICBM travels "only" about 25,000 ft/s.

CitizenBBN
02-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Objects the size of the one that hit Russia are hard to track because they're so small (relatively) and they're moving so fast (this one was moving nearly 60,000 ft/s***). Doesn't help that NASA's budget is less than 1% of the overall federal budget, and the budget for tracking these kinds of objects within NASA is even smaller.

***For reference on the speed, a Minuteman ICBM travels "only" about 25,000 ft/s.

What a great joke it's going to be when/if we get nailed by a meteor we could have stopped but we spend less on defending the planet and space in general than it takes to keep a kid fed by Sally Struthers. All those roads to nowhere and studies on how to have fewer studies are going to be really useful against a 300 ft wall of water coming over the Capital building.

The ultimate irony. What could have a bigger punch line than massive species extinction that wipes humanity off the face of the universe? . :)

BigBlueBrock
02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
What a great joke it's going to be when/if we get nailed by a meteor we could have stopped but we spend less on defending the planet and space in general than it takes to keep a kid fed by Sally Struthers. All those roads to nowhere and studies on how to have fewer studies are going to be really useful against a 300 ft wall of water coming over the Capital building.

The ultimate irony. What could have a bigger punch line than massive species extinction that wipes humanity off the face of the universe? . :)

Who needs to track city-sized asteroids when there are superfluous multi-billion-dollar aircraft and naval vessels to build?

CitizenBBN
02-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Who needs to track city-sized asteroids when there are superfluous multi-billion-dollar aircraft and naval vessels to build?

Or all those free cell phones to buy, or the $8 billion in Amtrak money they don't need, or the convention centers in the middle of nowhere b/c the Congressman has the votes.

The pork alone, stuff we can all agree should be gone, would probably put a man on Mars.

It really will be funny. of course I hope we save ourselves by sending up 1000s of nuclear warheads that divert or destroy the object and allow us to tease the disarmament crowd about how the war hawks saved humanity.