PDA

View Full Version : Andoid users: Google Now now supports college sports

PedroDaGr8
02-14-2013, 12:04 PM
For those who have a phone that is running either versions* 4.1.x or 4.2.x of Android, the wonderful Google Now now supports college sports. For those that don't know what Google Now is, its basically like an intelligent notifier/personal assistant. It uses cards to tell you important tidbits of information. For example, if you search for a restaurant it will let you know how many minutes it will take to get there and you an option to use Navigation. If you are picking someone up from the airport and you search for their flight, it will constantly keep you aprised of the flights status (and I think the gate as well). If it is delayed it will let you know, arriving early it will let you know. Also, just like the restaurant it will tell you how many minutes it iwll take to get to the airport. This extends to things like tracking packages, tickets, sports teams (now including college sports), etc.
Here is an example of a flight card:
http://www.google.com/landing/now/images/card-flights.png
and a sports card for a baseball game:
http://www.google.com/landing/now/images/card-sports.png

I have yet to try the sports notifications (just added UK) but it seems to keep you notified about the score of games.

*4.0.x CAN support Google Now but it takes a lot of hacking to get it to work well.

Darrell KSR
02-14-2013, 02:16 PM
I think my phone is too low key for that, but is "Google Now" an app? Or something else?

PedroDaGr8
02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
I think my phone is too low key for that, but is "Google Now" an app? Or something else?

It is an app of sorts, in that on phones that have 4.1 or 4.2, it replaces the standard google search app. It is integrated into the OS and uses things like searches you have done on your PC, your GMail account, location, etc. to provide the notifications. I have found it to be one of the more innovative things to come out for cellphones in a while. It is really damn convenient and at the same time unobtrusive.

By the way D, you are on T-Mobile correct? My boss is just switched bakc to T-Mobile and he recently got the Nexus4. Holy crap is that a nice phone, he used to have the GS3 on sprint and liked that but loves the Nexus4. Even more incredible is that you can buy it fully unlocked for under $299, which means no renewing your contract. On top of it being a great phone since it is a Nexus phone it is always at least one version ahead of everyone else (it runs 4.2.2 no carrier has released 4.2.x for any phone and most haven't even swticehd to 4.1)

Darrell KSR
02-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Hmm.

Thanks for that suggestion, Pedro. That's less than what I was going to pay, with a contract, for the Note 2, which I had just about figured I would get.

Yes, I'm with T-Mobile. I use the heck out of a Sidekick 4g. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near what the "good" smartphones do now. I have 196 apps on it currently, and it is rooted, and have a 16gb SD card in it, so I kinda wear it out.

I detest--detest--the idea of losing a physical keyboard. I have tried, over and over again, with friends' iPhones, other smartphones, and my own phone, to get used to the virtual keyboards, and cannot find the comfort level to type paragraphs long emails, edit documents, etc. as I do with the physical keyboard. That--and spending money--has kept me at this low level phone.

I remember being at the Eric Bledsoe Birmingham City School Board hearing, and being the only Kentucky guy there. I wore out the keyboard on the predecessor phone to this tweeting live comments from the Superintendent of Schools, who basically cleared Eric of wrongdoing, and said he was going to close the book on what occurred, no matter what the law firm hired to investigate had to say in its report. I dread the thought of being in another situation like that, and not having a physical keyboard to wear out when I need it. I like Swype as a virtual keyboard and a neat idea, but there are simply too many erroneous words that pop up with it. I can live with a misplaced character, but when whole wrong words appear--well, that's a deal-killer.

But I digress. I am going to upgrade. I have to, and I know it. So I do appreciate your comments on the Nexus. I love Google, I am "all in" with respect to multiple Gmail accounts, Gdrive, Calendar, SMS backup, corporate level (but not enterprise) limits, etc., and I do love the idea of sticking with something that is fully integrated with Google. Nexus sounds like a great option. (I have been going back and forth between the Galaxy S3 and the Note 2, but I'm thinking Nexus could be a good choice instead.

Darrell KSR
02-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Oh, I remember now why the guy at the T-Mobile store told me Note 2 rather than S3, and it may be the same as Nexus 4.

With Note 2, it would be able to run on the LTE network (not even sure if it's up and running at T-Mobile yet, but it is supposed to be this spring).

With S3, it had no ability to run on LTE network.

Does Nexus 4 run on LTE networks?

If not, what is the speed difference (if you know--not asking you to do my research fo rme) between whatever Nexus 4 runs on and LTE?

BarristerCat
02-14-2013, 08:06 PM
I don't think Nexus 4 runs on LTE, but I could be wrong. I'm sure the CNET review of it has that info.

EDIT: Here is the CNET review. (http://reviews.cnet.com/lg-nexus-4/) No LTE support. Honestly, I don't think the lack of LTE would be that big of a deal to me, but if you like to stream movies and music over cellular then you'd probably want it. LTE can be a battery hog, too.

I was a Swype guy when I first switched to Android, but I've switched to Swiftkey and I like it better. With Swiftkey it is much, much easier to type a word that isn't in the dictionary. Swiftkey doesn't fight you on that like Swype does.

Darrell KSR
02-14-2013, 09:51 PM
I don't stream music or music. I do a lot of surfing, though. I mean, a lot. Not sure it makes a difference on that, I dunno.

I use swiftkey, too. Neither works for m like physical keyboard, though.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

BarristerCat
02-15-2013, 11:49 AM
I don't stream music or music. I do a lot of surfing, though. I mean, a lot. Not sure it makes a difference on that, I dunno.

I use swiftkey, too. Neither works for m like physical keyboard, though.

If you're really into the idea of the Nexus you could stop by a store and try 3G vs. LTE side-by-side on two different phones. I think the particular phone and browser probably has a lot to do with it, though. I will say that my 4G LTE phone on Verizon clocks in at 7.0 Mbps download and 1.1 Mbps upload. That's faster than my home broadband connection through Windstream.

Either way, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Note 2 at all. Everyone that I know that has one absolutely loves it. If you browse on your phone a lot all that screen real estate would be really, really sweet.

PedroDaGr8
02-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Oh, I remember now why the guy at the T-Mobile store told me Note 2 rather than S3, and it may be the same as Nexus 4.

With Note 2, it would be able to run on the LTE network (not even sure if it's up and running at T-Mobile yet, but it is supposed to be this spring).

With S3, it had no ability to run on LTE network.

Does Nexus 4 run on LTE networks?

If not, what is the speed difference (if you know--not asking you to do my research fo rme) between whatever Nexus 4 runs on and LTE?

Hey, sorry for not replying more quickly, a lot of stress and drama in my personal life kept me away. Anyways, you ask a couple questions that aren't the easiest to explain but I'll try.

Despite claims to the contrary, LTE originally did not fit the definition of 4G, as set by the ITE, which required 1Gb download capability, because of this it was technically labeled 3.5G. Denoting it as a transitional medium between 3G and 4G. Due to marketing and political pressure, the ITE allow LTE to be called 4G. As for its capabilities, LTE is capable of 300MBit download and about 70MBit upload. On the other hand, LTE-Advanced, which some carriers, like Sprint, are installing equipment which will support both via software upgrade is true 4G. Now these are maximums, you wont see near that on any providers network. These are more about showing how efficient the network is.

How does that relate to you, T-Mobile has a network called HSPA+, this network is CAPABLE of 168Mbit down and 22Mbit up. While these aren't LTE numbers they are still quite good. Clearly, you wont get these speeds but my boss on T-Mobile using HSPA+ often gets 23-24Mbit down and 6Mbit up at his house, these are roughly the same speeds that most people will get on LTE. Even in our lab he routinely gets 6Mbit down and 1Mbit up. I'm not sure if its available in Alabama and if it is what speeds you will get. So the benefits of LTE for you might be marginal at best and will be highly variable on location, phone, etc.

As for the phone itself, this is where we get into the fuzzier stuff. To start with, the Note 2 has a microSD card slot(which may be important for many) and a larger screen. You can't overstate the advantage the larger screen has in browsing. This alone MIGHT outweigh all of the benefits of the Nexus4, if you find it worth it. It has LTE, which in your case as we discussed might not be a benefit (and because of battery life issues might actually be a detriment). Also, despite the larger screen, the screen is actually a lower resolution than the screen used on the Nexus4 (Note2 is 720p whereas Nexus 4 is 1080p). Additionally, the Note2 uses a Pentile AMOLED display which while snappy looking can get really fatiguing with its oversaturated colors whereas the Nexus 4 uses a very nice high quality LCD display (one of the best I have seen). As for the Nexus 4, the processor on the Nexus 4 is significantly more powerful than the one in the Note2. Additionally, the N4 has a better more powerful graphics processor (which is partly needed for the higher resolution, though its also just outright better).

Then you have the software; the Note2 runs a customized version of Android. This is both good and bad, in that some stuff Samsung adds is quite nice (they increase the usability and polish) but some is annoying. Additionally, it means that you won't have the latest OS versions. The Nexus4 is the reverse, its 100% pure Android (though you can always customize it all you want) and you will always get the latest version in a matter of days from release.

Lastly, cost. You can get the nexus4 unlocked for $299, which means no contract renewal. This is an incredible price because an unlocked phone of this caliber usually is going to run in the $500-600. Also, if you end up hating the Nexus 4, you can always use your upgrade later to get the Note2 at a much cheaper price than it is right now.

Unluckily for you D, hardware keyboards are more or less dead at this point. They take up way too much room, require to many sacrifices, make the phone too bulky, etc. There are always Bluetooth keyboards for situations where you HAVE to have a physical keyboard. Far from optimal, heck borderline not worth it for most but they do exist. Some are basically cellphone size to maximize portability when you need it (an example (http://dx.com/p/mini-handheld-rechargeable-bluetooth-wireless-keyboard-93118)). If you carry a briefcase around (or some sort of carrying bag) I think a small Bluetooth keyboard may be just what the doctor ordered. You could throw it in there, type away when you need to, and stash it using the on-screen keyboard for the rest.

BarristerCat
02-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Excellent rundown, Pedro.

Darrell KSR
02-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Thanks, Pedro. Excellent stuff nobody would tell me at the store.

Hope the stress issues are better. Don't worry about the delay; it takes me three days to order breakfast, so i am still not running out and buying a new phone now; plenty of time for that.

Darrell KSR
02-19-2013, 06:09 PM
OK, I'm real close now. Thank you for spending so much time on this. I really had just about talked myself into the Note 2, despite not really liking holding it as a phone (too large for my hand; think it looks silly holding up to my ear) over the Galaxy S3, but something just kept holding me back (besides the price--which is enough of a holdback to me).

I like what you said about the Nexus 4. I like the build characteristics you describe. Sounds like a neat little hand-held computer. Saw a "slick deal" bluetooth keyboard today for $25 (normally $59) for android phones, and I was too late to get it, but I'm sure they have similar deals around, and I like that idea a lot. I might not post quite as much with Forum Runner (or be as long-winded), but overall, I think I can work with it.

Couple of small questions remaining.

1- I have a 16gb micro-SD card, and I keep it pretty close to full. Much of it, however, is a "Droid TV" app where I download dozens of hours of television shows. If I wake up in the middle of the night, and want to watch TV, it's a good option, with headphones. It's what I watch most of the time when I watch TV, and I could probably live with not downloading so many shows at once.

But my question is--how much of the 16gb Nexus 4 comes with is actually "available" for use with apps and storage/data? That's really all my phone holds anyway (I think I have 512mb of internal storage), but I am curious to see if it's close to where I am now.

2- My phone touts itself as the Sidekick 4g. It has a "4g" setting, but as I understand, that may be a faux thing anyway. If you were comparing, say, going to a moderate graphics webpage, how long would it take to generate on T-Mobile's 4g, HSPA+, and LTE 4g? I know this is just WILD guessing, and depends on so many factors, but I'd love an idea. (I don't really understand what the speeds quoted really mean in terms of practical use).

Also, 2b--you mentioned that it could be a detriment. Battery life is very important to me as well. I keep plugs around constantly, as I need to "rejuice" often when I'm in a heavy use day. Did I read it correctly that the Nexus4 would be easier on the battery life because it avoids LTE?