PDA

View Full Version : Posted on Barber Shop due to gun debate, but local Middle School had gunman yesterday

Darrell KSR
02-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Scary situation.

Chelsea Middle School is a school here in Shelby County, Alabama (suburb of B'ham, where I live). My children do not attend that school, but my son plays soccer with several who do. (I got the word-of-mouth version last night at soccer practice from a mom of one of the students; surprisingly accurate as to details.)

Short version: 21-year old came in at 3:10 yesterday with a gun, and held several students hostage at gunpoint. Shelby County deputy with school resource officer training arrived within 5 minutes (he had been hired by the school since the Newtown shooting), and talked him into releasing 3 students nearly right away. He then kept talking, and got him to release two more (I think there were 5 he was holding hostage).

He then talked him into surrendering, all done within 20 minutes, and the deputy, along with other Shelby County deputies, apprehended the guy at 3:30pm, just 20 minutes after it began.

Thank you, deputies. I know we can't rely upon you all the time to protect against all crimes, but that's one situation where you absolutely protected against a horrific tragedy possibility. Thank you for risking your life to save ours.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/02/chelsea_middle_school_gunman_c.html

suncat05
02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Thank goodness it all ended well and no one was injured. And I'd say that the deputy on scene probably handled it as well as could be done. Kudos! Sounds like the school got a great return on their investment.

ukblue
02-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Daryl, back in the early sixties I had a 4h class which was taught by a x marine sargeant. He announced his intent to teach us to shoot and he had two of us each week bring a .22 rifle to school. Had to be a single shot and a bolt action and when you got on the bus you had to leave the bolt and shells with the bus driver. We went out behind the school and set up targets where we were firing into a dirt pile and he had us shooting one at a time under his strict guidance. I know some guys may think this bizzare but the late 50's and early 60's was a different time concerning guns.

Darrell KSR
02-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Great story, ukblue.

CitizenBBN
02-27-2013, 12:40 AM
Daryl, back in the early sixties I had a 4h class which was taught by a x marine sargeant. He announced his intent to teach us to shoot and he had two of us each week bring a .22 rifle to school. Had to be a single shot and a bolt action and when you got on the bus you had to leave the bolt and shells with the bus driver. We went out behind the school and set up targets where we were firing into a dirt pile and he had us shooting one at a time under his strict guidance. I know some guys may think this bizzare but the late 50's and early 60's was a different time concerning guns.

Today he'd be under arrest and fired, meanwhile teachers are required to call terrorists "freedom fighters".

The closest thing my elementary school had to security was having to tell a teacher if someone was picking you up and wouldn't be on the bus and the fence between the playground and the neighboring hay field.

Today you'd be suspended if not arrested for carrying a pocketknife. Most of the boys had one by 2nd grade or so. Carried a 2 blade Barlow.