PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle

MickintheHam
02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
There are over 100 nesting pairs in alaBama. According to today's Birmingham News, there are now some in the Birmingham area and specifically cited is the Cahaba River. For me, that is exciting news!!

I remember my Weekly Reader forecasting their extinction before the end of the 60's. My how times have changed. Has anyone here had the privilege of seeing one of these majestic birds? We are very lucky the bald eagle has survived.

Catfan73
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Sightings have become fairly common around Cave Run Lake near Morehead. There are at least a couple of nesting pairs there now I believe. The last time I got off I-64 at Farmers one swooped down so low over my vehicle I thought I was going to hit it. Huge, majestic birds.

dethbylt
02-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Ive only seen one in my lifetime, at Shiloh Battlefield. She was nesting. I have heard of sightings in KY, and I would love to see one.

Darrell KSR
02-12-2013, 10:16 PM
I love bald eagle, particularly grille....err, nevermind.

(Just a joke. Thought we could use some bad humor).

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

DanISSELisdaman
02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
I've seen two in the last couple years. One at Cumberland Gap and the other at Pine Mt. State park.

DanISSELisdaman
02-12-2013, 10:58 PM
I love bald eagle, particularly grille....err, nevermind.

(Just a joke. Thought we could use some bad humor).

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused. Don't even joke about that Darrell. They'll come and put a hug yourself jacket on you and cart you away to boogy man land.

Darrell KSR
02-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I know, Dan. Plus it's not even an original joke. Just a bad stolen one.

CitizenBBN
02-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Don't even joke about that Darrell. They'll come and put a hug yourself jacket on you and cart you away to boogy man land.

Gonna miss the guy. Will finally put me ahead in the post count though.

CGWildcat
02-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Bald eagles are beautiful majestic animals. I know many in Alaska though that refer to them as scavengers and don't have much love for them.

dan_bgblue
02-13-2013, 08:03 PM
If you ever see one in flight from say 100 yards or so away, you will never forget the image. That is one BIG bird. (sorry sesame street)

There are quite few nesting pairs in western KY between LBL and the Mississippi. I have no idea how many, but they are not an uncommon sight at the right time of the year.

There is a fellow that bought some land between Dyersburg and Obion TN a couple of years ago. The land he bought was mostly a slough and was grown up in timber. He wanted to clear the land to farm, and he did. He now has a huge problem on his hands. When he took the track hoe and bulldozer to the standing timber he failed to consider the 2 nesting pair of bald eagles that made their home in the trees.

EPA and every environmental group you can think of plus every animal rights activist group you can think of has been on his land for the last 18 months trying to decide if they are going to hang him, shoot him, or tie him to an oak tree and let he varmints get their revenge.

Darrell KSR
02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Dumb question, but what is the Eagle that Auburn has as its trained mascot?

IMHO, there is no better college football tradition than Auburn's eagle circling the crowd pregame. It is worth going to an Auburn football game just to see that.

CatinIL
02-13-2013, 08:18 PM
I was at Norfolk Lake in Arkansas a couple of years ago and watched an Osprey swoop down and snag a fish out of the lake. A few seconds later a Bald Eagle flies in and steals the fish away from the Osprey. It was pretty cool watching the struggle between two great birds of prey...of course the fish probably wasn't too thrilled about it.

One thing nice about living near the Miss R is when the eagles move south during the winter. I need to head up to Grafton, IL this weekend or next to check them out before they start heading north again.

jazyd
02-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Mickey I saw quite a few in Alaska and 2 in w ky up at the lakes. Look for a golf ball in a tree, that is the eagle and his white head. That is what they taught us in Alaska. Majestic but like coastlie said some think they are nothing more than scavengers

Lfbj00
02-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Dumb question, but what is the Eagle that Auburn has as its trained mascot?

IMHO, there is no better college football tradition than Auburn's eagle circling the crowd pregame. It is worth going to an Auburn football game just to see that.

D, Auburn's War Eagle VII is a Golden Eagle named Nova. All 7 of the War Eagle mascots have been Golden Eagles, although they do also have a Bald Eagle now that also flies with Nova.

And CBBN...you'll never catch Darrell's post count. He's our UK version of Senore'!!!

Darrell KSR
02-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Thanks, Lfbj00.

And add another post. Good thing 20 words count as much as CBBN's 2000 word manifestos!

jazyd
02-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Lol

thanks, lfbj00.

And add another post. Good thing 20 words count as much as cbbn's 2000 word manifestos!

Sent using forum runner. All typos excused.

CitizenBBN
02-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Lfbj00.

And add another post. Good thing 20 words count as much as CBBN's 2000 word manifestos!

I just need to break up my posts. Duh. I'm such an idiot.

BigBlueBrock
02-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Bald eagles are beautiful majestic animals. I know many in Alaska though that refer to them as scavengers and don't have much love for them.

Speaking of bald eagles and Alaska...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSEd6O0bBFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REmhmP_XxSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzQJq4WND60

That lady has all kinds of videos. You guys should check them out in your free time.

CitizenBBN
02-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks Brock. Those are pretty cool.

Crazy4Blue
02-23-2013, 11:37 AM
When I was up in Wisconsin on Lake Delton, one flew right over our boat. TOOOO Cool!

BarristerCat
02-24-2013, 11:56 AM
There's one that lives on Laurel Lake in the Summer. Fish and Wildlife has a whole cove roped off for him. If you were to so much as touch the buoys it would be cuff 'em and stuff 'em time.

ukblue
02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
I have a nesting pair on my farm Mick. I have built 4 large ponds and stocked all of them with bass,catfish and blue gill. F&W come out ever so often and check on them.

jazyd
02-27-2013, 12:21 AM
Blue, do you have pictures to share

I have a nesting pair on my farm Mick. I have built 4 large ponds and stocked all of them with bass,catfish and blue gill. F&W come out ever so often and check on them.

CitizenBBN
02-27-2013, 12:28 AM
My favorite eagle:

ukblue
02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Blue, do you have pictures to share

Have several Jazy. Mostly they are pics of them packing a big ass fish they had caught in one of my ponds

jazyd
02-27-2013, 10:17 PM
[
Is that a big 'bass' orbig 'ass'. Lol. If you have big ass fish I need to make a run to your farm, would make a great mount :)

QUOTE=ukblue;60480]Have several Jazy. Mostly they are pics of them packing a big ass fish they had caught in one of my ponds[/QUOTE]