PDA

View Full Version : How come I can't...

blueboss
08-30-2012, 07:18 PM
...copy and paste photo's like you could on the old place??

CitizenBBN
08-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Ought to be far easier here than Scout b/c we host the images when they get put in posts. How are you trying to add them?

blueboss
08-31-2012, 01:34 PM
I usually just right click on a photo and hit copy then come over here and right click and hit paste

Darrell KSR
08-31-2012, 02:22 PM
There are two basic issues related to photos.

A) Photos a user has themselves. Those photos are very likely to be acceptable to be posted, since most of the time, those are the photos the user "owns," if you will, and has on their own computer. This system is set up magnificently for that, as what CBBN said is true, we "host" the pictures ourselves.

At the "old" site, you had to upload the photo from your computer to some online web-hosting service, such as Smugmug, or photobucket, etc. Then you could go from there and post it on the boards from the other web hosting site. Sometimes it would not work because they would not allow "hot-linking" of the files (i.e., having the photo show up on "your" website, but be using the other site's bandwidth.

So it was a multi-step process, and was not always assured of working.

Here, it is simple and easy. You just click the icon that looks like a photo/window (it is the one immediately to the left of the film strip icon).

It will let you load your photo DIRECTLY from your computer to here. We have never been able to do that before. Big, fat, huge deal :).

On a scale of 1 to 10, the old site was a -4 on these, while this site is a 10. Could not be better.

B) Second issue relates to photos that are "on the web" somewhere. Remember, we need to be careful not to impinge on someone else's copyrighted images, so keep that in mind. For some reason, it was easy to do that at the other site, which is a little scary :).

Anyway, to do it here, it is also easy, but you do it different than you may have done in the past. Here, do exactly as you did above--click the photo/window icon.

When it comes up, select "From URL," and paste in the URL of the photo (note--not the URL of the page the photo is located on, but the URL of the photo itself.

Here's an example. I think this would constitute "fair use," as it is a photo of ESPN's Andy Katz used for publicity purposes. This is as tricky as it can possibly get. The URL of the page is http://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/katz_andy/ But if you tried to put that in the box, it would not show his photo, since that is a webpage, and not a URL of the photo itself.

Instead, right click on Andy's photo. One option that will come up when you right click on his photo is "copy image location." Select that (it is the URL of the photo).

Then click the picture/window icon, paste that URL in, and presto, you have Andy:

Hope that helps!

dan_bgblue
08-31-2012, 08:41 PM
I usually just right click on a photo and hit copy then come over here and right click and hit paste

I do understand the issue. Scout was the first board I ever saw and have seen that has that feature. Copy any image from anywhere on the net and paste it into a post and it works. This vbulletin format does not have that feature, but adding an image is not difficult, it just requires one extra step, and as Darrell said, it allows one to post an image directly from their hard drive without having to host the picture on the net at photobucket, flicker, smugmug, etc. When I first started including images in a post to a message board, I had to use the HTML tags to make it happen as there were no helpful buttons to make it happen for me without typing in the HTML tags before and after the picture URL.

blueboss
09-10-2012, 06:49 PM
http://siliconvalleyjacl.dnsalias.net/images/basketball.gif

blueboss
09-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I may have figured it out but damn I didn't want to post life sized stuff

badrose
09-11-2012, 09:02 AM
I like life-sized stuff!

blueboss
09-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm guessing life sized bouncy stuff;)