PDA

View Full Version : Any LEO (or parents of LEO) here?

Catonahottinroof
10-01-2021, 05:17 PM
My son will report to the KSP academy in Frankfort Sunday at 1:00pm for 3 months of hell per what he told me. He’s pursued this job for some time and I am so very glad he got it…..but the parental stress for my wife and I is off the chain at the moment…..

Doc
10-01-2021, 05:44 PM
It will subside. Both my daughter and her husband work in law enforcement. She works crime scene invention and he is a badged officer in a small town although he does often work I-95 which is a major drug path.

suncat05
10-01-2021, 05:56 PM
I am recently retired from the Sheriff's Office I was employed by down here in Florida. The Police Academy down here is tough, but not so tough that you can't pass it. And there are a lot of former officers from other states that move down here and get employed by various agencies, and we also have regional academies here, unlike Kentucky, which, IIRC, only has the Bureau of Training at Eastern Kentucky University and the KSP Academy. I am not aware of any others, but I have not lived in Kentucky since 1982. There may be other academies there that I am not now aware of.

From my understanding of how the KSP runs their Academy, it is pretty much like military Basic Training, or what some call "Boot Camp".

Just tell him to do exactly as he is told to do, keep his mouth shut and he'll get through the experience just fine. Being as it is their own Academy, I'm pretty sure the KSP want their Troopers to do things the "KSP way".
The first several weeks will be like being in hell, just like the Army or Marines or any other branch. They do that to get rid of the weak and the undesirables. Once they get rid of the chaff, they will start to ease up on the prospective Troopers and get down to actually teaching them how to do their jobs they way the KSP wants.

He'll be fine. Prayers for him, and all of you too.

blueboss
10-01-2021, 06:24 PM
My father was a Missouri State Troopers when I was very young… he left after several years to pursue a career in business which paid significantly more … his father, my grandfather was an elected sheriff in Polk Co, Mo as long as I could remember before he passed away.

…anyway, congratulations on your sons career choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
10-09-2021, 12:19 PM
Crime Is Up and Democrats Are Scrambling
It’s getting harder to convince people that the police are a bigger problem than the criminals.
(https://www.wsj.com/articles/crime-homicide-murder-law-enforcement-defund-police-blm-atlanta-seattle-new-york-city-eric-adams-kasim-reed-bruce-harrell-11633464705?mod=hp_opin_pos_4#cxrecs_s)

Thoughts from the WSJ

Catonahottinroof
10-09-2021, 03:16 PM
Made it through his first week. Class of 103, and it went down to 86 in 6 days. He told me it was tough, but nothing he couldn’t handle. Off till he has to report back at 1:00pm tomorrow.