PDA

View Full Version : Get your 7.62x39 & other Russian ammo while you can

KeithKSR
08-21-2021, 11:02 AM
The Biden administration is putting a halt to Russian ammo and guns being imported

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/08/breaking-biden-administration-bans-importation-of-russian-guns-and-ammo/#axzz74Bw1WC5l

Prices for the Russian Wolf and Tula have made large jumps in prices since yesterday afternoon.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7.62x39mm

Yesterday before the announcement I saw that Tula .223 was listed as low as 32.5 cents a round. Now the cheapest Tula .223 is 45 cents a round.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/223-remington

Catonahottinroof
08-21-2021, 11:19 AM
Tula is worthless IMO.

CitizenBBN
08-21-2021, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Went ahead and bit the bullet, pardon the pun, and finished my stock up on 7.62.

I love how this is a "sanction" for them poisoning one guy a while ago. It's gun control they can implement unilaterally under the power they have to impose trade sanctions. It's not a coincidence that the kinds of guns that use this ammo and the guns Russia exports are #1 on their hit parade.

dan_bgblue
08-21-2021, 03:17 PM
That is just more ammo for the Tally Bon's AK47. M4 ammo is still cheap enough for them to buy if they ever run out of ammo for the US weapon.

CitizenBBN
08-21-2021, 03:27 PM
As much as we left behind I assume the Taliban will raise money by selling our ammo back to us through a Pakistani front company.

KentuckyWildcat
08-21-2021, 04:45 PM
That is just more ammo for the Tally Bon's AK47.

Yep...

Doc
08-21-2021, 05:10 PM
That is just more ammo for the Tally Bon's AK47. M4 ammo is still cheap enough for them to buy if they ever run out of ammo for the US weapon.

Buy? We LEFT enough ammo for them that they won't need to buy any for decades

KeithKSR
08-21-2021, 10:54 PM
As much as we left behind I assume the Taliban will raise money by selling our ammo back to us through a Pakistani front company.

Hopefully they sell it cheap, so we can stack it deep. That 5.56 Lake City and 9mm would sell very well.

Doc
08-22-2021, 08:00 AM
In all seriousness, I expect this to cause major economic hardship in the Motherland. Definately a hard hitting sanction designed to bring Putin and his comrades to the knees

dan_bgblue
08-22-2021, 08:11 AM
Just trying to make up for giving the thumbs up to the pipeline. (winky, winky,)

suncat05
08-22-2021, 08:21 AM
Tula is worthless IMO.

Respectfully disagree with you, brother. It's adequate, although not known for accuracy and the fact that it makes any gun it is used in will need a serious scrubbing after shooting it. But........it is certainly good enough to use to help you get along until something else better comes along.

suncat05
08-22-2021, 08:25 AM
And not to mention that anyone that now owns an AK essentially has a seriously devalued weapon. It's next to worthless if you can't feed it.

Stand by to stand by folks, because other calibers will be next in this hit parade.

KeithKSR
08-22-2021, 09:03 AM
Respectfully disagree with you, brother. It's adequate, although not known for accuracy and the fact that it makes any gun it is used in will need a serious scrubbing after shooting it. But........it is certainly good enough to use to help you get along until something else better comes along.

If it’s Tula or nothing the Tula looks pretty good.

Wolf is actually a trademark of Sporting Supplies International out of California. Russia is not their only source for ammo, so I would expect them to find other manufacturers to supply them with ammo. They used to purchase a lot of ammo from Tula, but that relationship no longer exists. Wolf already imports ammo from Germany, Serbia, and Taiwan. A lot of Wolf’s brass cased ammo is made by Prvi Partizan in Serbia, which sells its ammo under the PPU-USA brand. There are a lot of European ammo manufacturers that we are likely to see enter the US 7.62x39 market.

KeithKSR
08-22-2021, 09:13 AM
And not to mention that anyone that now owns an AK essentially has a seriously devalued weapon. It's next to worthless if you can't feed it.

Stand by to stand by folks, because other calibers will be next in this hit parade.

The Biden admin would wipe them all out if they could. I don’t think they will be all that successful. The 7.62x39 round has a lot of worldwide appeal, and the round is manufactured all over the world. Just with those countries that comprised the old Soviet Union it is very likely there are factories that could become suppliers for 7.62x39 in America. There are simply too many people that use the round for it not to be imported.

CitizenBBN
08-22-2021, 05:27 PM
Other makers will step in over time. They don't now b/c the Russian/Eastern Europe prices can't be beat, but obviously if they can't sell then they will start making 7.62, and other cals.

But it will take time.

I think AK/SKS prices go up, not down. Russia is a major source of them still.

Biden won't raise this restriction if they can help it. Politics may shift, but otherwise this is a 3 year embargo.

KeithKSR
08-22-2021, 07:05 PM
Other makers will step in over time. They don't now b/c the Russian/Eastern Europe prices can't be beat, but obviously if they can't sell then they will start making 7.62, and other cals.

But it will take time.

I think AK/SKS prices go up, not down. Russia is a major source of them still.

Biden won't raise this restriction if they can help it. Politics may shift, but otherwise this is a 3 year embargo.

The people that have AK74s may be hurting for a while. The 5.45x39 cartridges seems to predominantly be made by Tula, which won’t be coming in now. It isn’t nearly as popular as the 7.62x39 and not near as appealing for manufacturers to begin making, due to the smaller number of them in use and by extension a much lower demand for ammo.

CitizenBBN
08-22-2021, 09:10 PM
The people that have AK74s may be hurting for a while. The 5.45x39 cartridges seems to predominantly be made by Tula, which won’t be coming in now. It isn’t nearly as popular as the 7.62x39 and not near as appealing for manufacturers to begin making, due to the smaller number of them in use and by extension a much lower demand for ammo.

Also Mosin Nagant, 7.62x54mmR and 7.62x25mm Tokarev will be short in supply. 9x18mm Makarov will be better off, but not a lot.

The question is how much of Eastern Europe can pick up the slack. They could have the ability to ship some ammo.

If this lasts long I look for the Russians to start re-branding ammo through third parties and trying to sneak it through as well. Have to wonder if they can find loopholes to move it through Eastern Europe as well.

Catonahottinroof
08-23-2021, 02:59 PM
Same thoughts as me. The Russians know their biggest customers outside their own military are here.
Also Mosin Nagant, 7.62x54mmR and 7.62x25mm Tokarev will be short in supply. 9x18mm Makarov will be better off, but not a lot.

The question is how much of Eastern Europe can pick up the slack. They could have the ability to ship some ammo.

If this lasts long I look for the Russians to start re-branding ammo through third parties and trying to sneak it through as well. Have to wonder if they can find loopholes to move it through Eastern Europe as well.

KeithKSR
08-24-2021, 01:01 AM

I kind of expect manufacturers to buy primed steel cases, powder and projectiles from Russian ammo factories, do the final assembly in another country and then mark boxes assembled in ————, to get around the sanctions.

KeithKSR
08-24-2021, 01:09 AM
And like magic Yugoslavian and Romanian surplus brass ammo makes a move up the lists on Ammoseek.

CitizenBBN
08-24-2021, 11:56 AM
And like magic Yugoslavian and Romanian surplus brass ammo makes a move up the lists on Ammoseek.

Exactly.

I agree completely with your assumption. They will claim they bought empty brass (b/c it will still have Russian head stamps) and made it in their country. I'm betting it is all coming straight from Russia.

I found some Yugo that I bought up. it's actually brass case, but it is corrosive. I will hold it in absolute reserve b/c it will work in my guns, but obviously will require more rigorous cleaning. It gets good reviews for accuracy, but cleaning my gun 20 minutes after I shoot is a pain.

KeithKSR
08-24-2021, 09:31 PM
Exactly.

I agree completely with your assumption. They will claim they bought empty brass (b/c it will still have Russian head stamps) and made it in their country. I'm betting it is all coming straight from Russia.

I found some Yugo that I bought up. it's actually brass case, but it is corrosive. I will hold it in absolute reserve b/c it will work in my guns, but obviously will require more rigorous cleaning. It gets good reviews for accuracy, but cleaning my gun 20 minutes after I shoot is a pain.

If that corrosive stuff is in a spam can or is stored well it will still be good a few decades from now. I’ve seen where some people use a food vacuum sealer and repackage their ammo and seal it up with an oxygen absorber in the packages.

CitizenBBN
08-26-2021, 12:00 AM
If that corrosive stuff is in a spam can or is stored well it will still be good a few decades from now. I’ve seen where some people use a food vacuum sealer and repackage their ammo and seal it up with an oxygen absorber in the packages.

It's in sealed cases. It will last, but just a pain to clean. As long as ammo is sealed it will last a long time, and it's brass case. I may move to steel ammo cans, we'll see what it looks like.

My steel case is mostly in spam cans.

Now, I need about a ton and a half of 9 mil. Just to be safe, b/c things don't look too good out there.

KeithKSR
08-27-2021, 01:05 AM
It's in sealed cases. It will last, but just a pain to clean. As long as ammo is sealed it will last a long time, and it's brass case. I may move to steel ammo cans, we'll see what it looks like.

My steel case is mostly in spam cans.

Now, I need about a ton and a half of 9 mil. Just to be safe, b/c things don't look too good out there.

9 mm has been much slower to drop in price than other stuff. There were a lot of 9mm firearms sold during the pandemic and they are hungry. I’ve seen that Cabelas and Bass Pro stores are getting it on stock, but it is varying in price a lot $16-$22 per box of 50.