PDA

View Full Version : Olympic 's thread..Welcome to Tokyo

Doc
07-21-2021, 07:07 AM
As a kid, I loved the Olympics. I looked forward to the every 4 years when both summer and winter events happened the same year. I remember watching well into the night the seemingly non stop contests of classic sports, and some slightly more obscure ones.....but all entertaining. Those days are gone but I still enjoy the newer version, just less passionately. Not sure I will ever enjoy the orange mohawked dude riding a skateboard but these are the times we live in. Add the athletes who feel the need to use the stage to disrespect the country they supposedly represent and at times it is difficult to pull for the USA. But enough...on with the games!

In a stunner, the women's soccer team goes down in its opener vs Sweden to break their 44 game unbeaten streak. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/07/20/tokyo-olympics-live-updates-day-negative2/

However the women's softball team goes to 1-0 after beating Italy 2-0. Glad to see softball return. Now if we could just get rid of badminton

CitizenBBN
07-21-2021, 07:30 PM
I'm curious if anyone is watching.

I'm really not. I know not all American athletes are bringing politics to the table, but enough are that I've got little interest in the games.

Doc
07-21-2021, 07:51 PM

I'm really not. I know not all American athletes are bringing politics to the table, but enough are that I've got little interest in the games.

I am in a similar mindset

catmanjack
07-21-2021, 07:57 PM
Total shame but I doubt I view much of the Olympics.

KentuckyWildcat
07-21-2021, 08:27 PM
Zero interest. Used to love it.

Rooting for Biles and a few others. The UK track girl broke the world record in something recently. And I will appreciate any updates here.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

catmanjack
07-21-2021, 09:09 PM
Did not realize the ladies soccer team took a knee in protest today!
All this racism and social injustice as a narrative has to stop.
Earn your place in this world, does not matter your race if you work hard and earn it!

VirginiaCat
07-22-2021, 07:37 AM
Damn, I hated our Womens soccer getting trounced........:fing03:

KentuckyWildcat
07-22-2021, 08:06 AM
I was hoping to watch Alex Morgan victory dance again, but I'm content watching the classic on YouTube.

KentuckyWildcat
07-22-2021, 01:14 PM
https://www.nationofblue.com/school-record-total-of-20-current-former-university-of-kentucky-athletes-to-compete-in-olympics/?fbclid=IwAR3w6U6Ndo5gxQCJG8DjvhExIOrDdxJoUF5GLoy3 QYPvit9NO25pnCf-R0U

LEXINGTON, Ky. – A school-record total of 20 current and former University of Kentucky athletes and coaches will represent 10 countries across a range of five sports in the Summer Olympic Games to be held in Tokyo, Japan, from July 21 through August 8.

bigsky
07-22-2021, 01:39 PM
Captive audience and still any picture of Megan Rapinoe gets a channel change.

KSRBEvans
07-22-2021, 01:44 PM
I caught a lot of the track and field and swimming at the US Trials. I'm looking forward to seeing those in Tokyo, especially Sydney McLaughlin in the 400 hurdles and Katie Ledecky in all of her events.

Caught the last couple of innings of US-Canada softball last night. The USA pitcher is so tall, it looked like she was about 10 feet from the batter when she finally released the ball.

Not sure how detailed this is, but found this daily TV schedule:

https://deadline.com/2021/07/olympics-tv-full-schedule-streaming-nbc-peacock-how-to-watch-times-events-channels-1234785310/

MickintheHam
07-23-2021, 04:15 AM
Captive audience and still any picture of Megan Rapinoe gets a channel change.

Rapinoe is an excellent reason not to watch. I went to the Olympics in Montreal and ATL. I loved every minute. I have near zero interest now. I might watch a little track and Field, swimming, or gymnastics, but I doubt I’ll watch anything else. About the only way I’ll watch is if I am in a bar. I’d rather watch MLB.

dan_bgblue
07-23-2021, 06:30 AM
I caught a lot of the track and field and swimming at the US Trials. I'm looking forward to seeing those in Tokyo, especially Sydney McLaughlin in the 400 hurdles and Katie Ledecky in all of her events.

Caught the last couple of innings of US-Canada softball last night. The USA pitcher is so tall, it looked like she was about 10 feet from the batter when she finally released the ball.

Not sure how detailed this is, but found this daily TV schedule:

https://deadline.com/2021/07/olympics-tv-full-schedule-streaming-nbc-peacock-how-to-watch-times-events-channels-1234785310/

Thanks for the link. That is the most detailed listing I have seen to date.

I well remember my younger days when I watched the Olympics on over the air broadcast TV. There was one channel, either ABC or NBC, and if the games were being held on the other side of the world, the events were shown on tape delay. Now days if one does not have a well oiled DVR that is well programmed and one is not watching some of the events at three in the morning, that event passes one by without notice.

blueboss
07-23-2021, 01:27 PM
Damn, I hated our Womens soccer getting trounced........:fing03:

Hard to play (soccer) well while on your knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc
07-23-2021, 02:45 PM
About time!

German Olympic gymnasts wearing unitard to combat 'sexualization in gymnastics'

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/german-female-gymnasts-unitard

I have always been creeped out watching gymnastics. Sort of like watch prepubescent girls dancing at half time at basketball games. It's almost perverted at times, to the point I questioned the parents. Anyway, glad to see this change

dan_bgblue
07-23-2021, 03:17 PM

I am going to try and see all the swimming events, 3 meter diving, 400 meter, 100 meter races and hurdles of the same distance, and I want to see Smione Biles in the gymnastics competition.

dan_bgblue
07-23-2021, 05:19 PM
Just finished watching the pregame festivities and have a question for those in the know. It seemed like there were about 100 countries missing from the event. Are there that many countries that opted out of this year's games?

catmanjack
07-23-2021, 07:09 PM
Dan I did not hear of any opting out.

dan_bgblue
07-23-2021, 07:17 PM
Thanks I had not either but in the stadium walk ins this afternoon, there were only about 15 maybe 20 countries represented.

KentuckyWildcat
07-23-2021, 08:37 PM
Limiting crowd sizes perhaps?

dan_bgblue
07-24-2021, 07:20 AM
Could be, however they are only allowing immediate family as fans in the stands and that stadium will hold 75/000 to 100,000 or so fannies

bigsky
07-25-2021, 07:20 AM
The coverage is a ridiculous turn off. We mostly all know NBC is garbage anyway.

dan_bgblue
07-25-2021, 08:11 AM
The coverage is a ridiculous turn off. We mostly all know NBC is garbage anyway.

Ditto. My streaming service is working fine, but their idea of programming is horrible.

blueboss
07-25-2021, 09:17 AM

Ding ding ding!!! I knew we were in trouble when Savannah Guthrie did the opening ceremonies.

bigsky
07-26-2021, 07:51 PM
And let me mention all the vomit inducing woke advertising which also gets a mute button if not a channel change.

Doc
07-27-2021, 09:31 PM
Simone biles exits Olympics for non-injury related reason. Disappointed

Simone Biles delivers powerful message to Olympic teammates after exiting gymnastics event

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/simone-biles-message-olympic-teammates-exited-gymnastics-event

Doc
07-27-2021, 09:39 PM
Enlightening story here

Iranian defector protests anti-Semitism by dedicating Olympic medal to Israel, thanks country in Hebrew

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/iranian-defector-saeid-mollaei-protests-anti-semitism-olympic-silver-israel

KSRBEvans
07-28-2021, 09:27 AM
I have sympathy for Biles. Athletes go through these things, but with gymnastics so dangerous her long-term physical health is on the line.

VirginiaCat
07-28-2021, 12:36 PM
I have sympathy for Biles. Athletes go through these things, but with gymnastics so dangerous her long-term physical health is on the line.

I keep going back to Kerri Struggs (sp?). Basically had a broken ankle and competed for her team. I am having a hard time giving Biles the pass because she hurt her teammates. But I have not walked a mile in her shoes.

Darrell KSR
07-28-2021, 12:51 PM
Broken ankle and mental health are nowhere close to the same thing.

Doc
07-28-2021, 07:25 PM
3 on 3 basketball is officially the weakest Olympic sport ever. Worse the badminton and skateboarding. Its like watching stuff in your driveway

Doc
07-28-2021, 07:28 PM
Broken ankle and mental health are nowhere close to the same thing.

She should have withdrawn BEFORE the games. And its not like she did not know the stresses and expectations

Darrell KSR
07-28-2021, 09:49 PM
She should have withdrawn BEFORE the games. And its not like she did not know the stresses and expectationsMental health doesn't work that way. It's not something you can predict or turn on or off.

KentuckyWildcat
07-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Mental health doesn't work that way. It's not something you can predict or turn on or off.

Off Topic reply: Was she really being held to a different standard in scoring?

Back to topic: I've been pretty disappointed in some things said about and toward her. Crazy talk. I do wish she would have came and competed at something. Would have been good for her if she could have. But she knows better than I.

Doc
07-29-2021, 10:53 PM
Mental health doesn't work that way. It's not something you can predict or turn on or off.

I am not buying what she is selling. Mental health??? Not so messed up that she is out of the Olympics, just the event she ####ed up in. Sorry, she had a poor performance. Her response was to quit and blame.mental health. Were she really that ill I suspect she would have dropped out of ALL competition

KSRBEvans
07-30-2021, 07:53 AM
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31916771/simone-biles-plagued-twisties-says-mind-body-not-sync

Sounds like she's probably not going to compete in any more Olympic events if she stays in her current condition.

KSRBEvans
07-30-2021, 09:26 AM
I wanted to enjoy the 3 on 3 basketball but the production value was so poor, I couldn't get into it. Whoever decided the best angle was the opposite end of the court, in what feels like the back corner, apparently never watched a basketball broadcast before. We're used to the camera being on the side around midcourt.

KentuckyWildcat
07-30-2021, 09:28 AM
Were she really that ill I suspect she would have dropped out of ALL competition

I thought she did drop out of all competition? Did she not?

Doc
07-30-2021, 09:32 AM
I thought she did drop out of all competition? Did she not?

Last I heard she was going to compete in the individual events. Could be wrong though. Again, last I heard

Catonahottinroof
07-30-2021, 10:07 AM
She is struggling with the “twisties”.
Sounds a good bit like having the yips on the golf course.
http://www.wlky.com/article/simone-biles-said-shes-struggling-with-the-twisties-what-does-that-mean/37180128?fbclid=IwAR0vaIvSnDPuRSE6YxJ5oXHKQ2hgaa5p 0FtTvEOXKkr_9rt0aYX5uFWrEso

Doc
07-31-2021, 09:27 AM
Who you less likely to pull for?

Raquet tossers ( .https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31925929/olympics-2020-novak-djokovic-denied-bronze-vs-spain-pablo-carreno-busta-throws-racquet )

Kneeler? ( https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/sport/fans-just-want-to-watch-sports-us-olympian-slams-american-soccer-team-for-kneeling-in-support-of-blm/news-story/be0e7832c4d2b88f18786ba4c6b7ffc1 )

Opt outers? ( https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31924094/simone-biles-withdraws-vault-uneven-bars-summer-olympics )

A shaman? (https://sports.yahoo.com/a-transgender-weightlifter-will-make-history-at-the-olympics-is-her-inclusion-fair-223430503.html )

IMO Biles should not even be in the conversation. One is just a poor sport. One is just a legalized cheater, but its woke cheating so no pbm. The other is a bunch of whiny ####s.

I will take #1 as the worse

Darrell KSR
07-31-2021, 01:36 PM
I am not buying what she is selling. Mental health??? Not so messed up that she is out of the Olympics, just the event she ####ed up in. Sorry, she had a poor performance. Her response was to quit and blame.mental health. Were she really that ill I suspect she would have dropped out of ALL competitionYou're way wrong.

Very, very bad take Doc.

Doc
07-31-2021, 05:31 PM
You're way wrong.

Very, very bad take Doc.

The initial report was "mental health". In fact your oginal post mentions mental health as the reason. Apparently that is what is incorrect. Seems more like vertigo or spacial reference issue than mental health. If the issue is a physical one, as is vertigo, then I have no issue. But what was originally reported was something different.

dan_bgblue
08-01-2021, 05:08 PM
Just a PSA, men's 100 meter final is on tonight at 7:00 pm EDT. May not be on at 7:00 on the dot and may just be part of the 7 oclock time slot. Have not seen any negative behavior from the 100 meter team

blueboss
08-01-2021, 05:29 PM
Who won the bronze in golf stroke play? I recorded the last round last night/this morning but didn’t allow for a playoff.

dan_bgblue
08-01-2021, 05:45 PM
There was a 7 player playoff for the bronze. They started off with 7 players in the playoff and whittled it down to two and those two players played 2 holes to determine the winner. C.T. Pan took the bronze at the end of the play off.

bigsky
08-01-2021, 08:21 PM
Hah, it’s great to see someone making their own best decision for themselves regardless of all the pressure from the media and the rest of the kollectiv. You might discover a corollary if you ponder a minute, eh?

KSRBEvans
08-02-2021, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know why Australia's athletic colors are green and yellow? None of that is in their flag.

Mrs. BEvans asked that question while we were watching the swimming, and as usual she asked something I didn't know the answer to. :D

Catonahottinroof
08-02-2021, 10:24 AM
It always works out that way doesn’t it? lol
Does anyone know why Australia's athletic colors are green and yellow? None of that is in their flag.

Mrs. BEvans asked that question while we were watching the swimming, and as usual she asked something I didn't know the answer to. :D

KSRBEvans
08-02-2021, 12:08 PM
^You got that right!

CitizenBBN
08-02-2021, 12:24 PM
I think the answer you're looking for is TO LIE. Make up some crap about how in the 1928 Olympics their colors were the same as Lower Slobovia and in a show of solidarity with their recent status as a new country freed from the Austro-Hungarian empire at the end of WWI the Aussies agreed to change colors.

Jeez, how do you guys stay married with this whole honesty thing? Can't let them think they have over on you, you'll never hear the end of it. :)

Doc
08-02-2021, 12:44 PM
Man, this bite

Megan Rapinoe on US women's soccer's Olympics loss to Canada: 'It sucks'

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/megan-rapinoe-us-womens-soccer-loss-canada

Can't say I am upset about them losing.

CitizenBBN
08-02-2021, 05:27 PM
I'll raise you Doc. I'm glad they lost. less I have to listen to it.

I don't know who they think they represent but since they can pick and choose in receiving America's good graces when they want and then rip the nation when they please, I guess I can pick and choose who represents me as well.

I think as much of athletes peddling moral superiority and using their platforms for politics as much as I think of actors doing it. You're free to believe what you will but just b/c you're on the US Olympic team doesn't mean I have to support you if you choose to intertwine that role with your political thoughts. Any more than I have to pay for a ticket at a theater to support some actor doing the same thing.

And I'm to the point I really don't care what politics they peddle. I'm just sick of it pervading every part of my life. We try hard to separate it on this board for that very reason. People come to the main board to talk sports, not politics. It still eeks in there once in a while but we really do try b/c we know others feel the same way.

People watch sports to take a break from the trials and tribulations of life, not to have them beat over the head with them. And by definition about half of the people watching probably strongly disagree to boot.

Doc
08-02-2021, 11:39 PM
And the USA hammerthrower who refuse to acknowledge Americ's National anthem came in LAST place. Karma is a biotch

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/athletics/result-women-s-hammer-throw-fnl-000100-.htm

bigsky
08-03-2021, 08:56 AM
Hoping we come in 4th.

KSRBEvans
08-03-2021, 02:20 PM
I miss seeing boxing in the Olympics. Haven't seen too much of it in this one. A few that I enjoyed the most in the Olympics: Sugar Ray Leonard, the Spinks brothers, Howard Davis, Pernell Whitaker, Mark Breland, Oscar de la Hoya.

CitizenBBN
08-03-2021, 11:14 PM
This poor young lady is in the wrong decade:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/olympic-gold-medalist-wrestler-tamyra-mensah-stock-i-love-representing-the-us

God bless her. Refreshing that someone representing the USA is proud of the nation she represents.

catmanjack
08-03-2021, 11:44 PM
That's great to hear when in a time all they want to do is tear America apart for their own greed.

Doc
08-04-2021, 07:34 PM
This poor young lady is in the wrong decade:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/olympic-gold-medalist-wrestler-tamyra-mensah-stock-i-love-representing-the-us

God bless her. Refreshing that someone representing the USA is proud of the nation she represents.

The picture accompany the story says it all

CitizenBBN
08-05-2021, 12:01 AM
The picture accompany the story says it all

Rare to see an athlete waving an American flag. Unless it's on fire.

dan_bgblue
08-05-2021, 12:16 PM
Rare to see an athlete waving an American flag. Unless it's on fire.

More of them than you might think in these Tokyo games. Not like it was 20 + years ago, but much more than the muck raking media would like you to believe.

UKFlounder
08-05-2021, 02:35 PM
I know what the source is, but I thought this was worth sharing

dan_bgblue
08-06-2021, 09:45 AM
Welcome home greeting for Simone Biles at the Houston Airport. Rock Star type welcome to Houston

Linkage (https://www.foxnews.com/sports/simone-biles-heros-welcome-return-texas-olympics)

catmanjack
08-06-2021, 01:46 PM
My hero's of the Olympic games are the Carli Lloyd's and the lady wrestler who loves America.