PDA

View Full Version : Covid as a factor?

Terry Blue
07-19-2021, 02:57 PM
I don't even want to think about it but, how many testing positive from each team is bound to play a part. Maybe I missed something but I didn't read or hear of one player infected last year of dying or even being hospitalized. I read Bama is the only team in the league that has the desired 85%+ vaccination rate among its team

Terminus
07-19-2021, 05:40 PM
“43% of our football teams or 6 of 14 have reached the 80% threshold of roster vaccination…that number needs to grow & grow rapidly”

- @GregSankey at #SECMD21

As per Cole Cubelic’s twitter today. I’m not sure where UK stands.

anderwt
07-19-2021, 06:18 PM
Get vaccinated… they will never relinquish control till you do.. it works

Catfan73
07-25-2021, 07:12 PM
They think the Delta variant has an “R naught value” of 4 or higher, more than twice the original’s infectious rate, so it’s probably about to explode. The good news is that means it’ll burn out fast. If we don’t see a shift that gets around the vaccine it should all pretty much be over in a couple of months. The bad part about so many people still being unvaccinated is that every infection presents it with another opportunity to mutate and if that happens we’re right back to square one.

This wave will primarily be a disease of the unvaccinated and children too young to be vaccinated. When schools open, look out.

anderwt
07-25-2021, 07:18 PM
With regards to kids.. they have been in summer school, camps, etc… get vaccinated… but it’s unfair to penalize the rest of the country to restrict things based on the not vaccinated

Terry Blue
07-25-2021, 07:23 PM
If the powers that be try to restrict the vaccinated or try to force mask mandates a refusal to comply would be justified

catmanjack
07-25-2021, 07:29 PM
There is a segment of the population that will never get vaccinated and it has nothing to do with politics.

Catfan73
07-25-2021, 07:45 PM
I think I failed to get my point across, as I reread what I posted. This is probably going to be peaking right as college football season is starting back up. How that affects attendance or actually holding the games or anything else is anyone’s guess right now. I didn’t mean anything political.

catmanjack
07-25-2021, 08:16 PM
Understand but we keep pushing and telling folks to get vaccinated and there are millions that do not believe in vaccinations.

KeithKSR
07-25-2021, 10:51 PM
They think the Delta variant has an “R naught value” of 4 or higher, more than twice the original’s infectious rate, so it’s probably about to explode. The good news is that means it’ll burn out fast. If we don’t see a shift that gets around the vaccine it should all pretty much be over in a couple of months. The bad part about so many people still being unvaccinated is that every infection presents it with another opportunity to mutate and if that happens we’re right back to square one.

This wave will primarily be a disease of the unvaccinated and children too young to be vaccinated. When schools open, look out.

It may be slightly more infectious, but isn’t nearly as potent. Even being more infectious doesn’t yield more people with the virus. If we aren’t at herd immunity we are really close. Everyone that has had the virus has immunities built up, everyone who took the vaccine has immunities built up, then there are those who have not tested positive, but had mild cases after being exposed and their immune system kept them from becoming infected.

Covid19 is always going to be here, just like the viral descendants of the Spanish flu (H1N1) are still here today. Just like with the flu vaccines those who are at high risk should be vaccinated.

Here is where we are at:

Daily New Cases

Daily Deaths

New cases and deaths reported today

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

KeithKSR
07-25-2021, 11:14 PM
Understand but we keep pushing and telling folks to get vaccinated and there are millions that do not believe in vaccinations.

It’s a risk-reward situation. If you are young you aren’t going to die from Covid unless you have some condition that makes you more vulnerable. If you’ve already had the virus your natural immunities make vaccinating irrelevant. I have yet to see a report of someone surviving an initial infection, then succumbing to a second infection. On the other hand the CDC VAERS database now indicates over 6000 deaths that have been reported after taking the vaccine. There have been a large number of reports that indicate people had severe reactions that resulted in permanent damage to the health of young adults and children after taking the vaccine.

Catfan73
07-26-2021, 02:55 AM
The R-naught of 4 means that every person that gets it is giving it to four other people so it’s pretty much going to sweep thru the unvaccinated population. And no, we’re not even close to herd immunity. At this point our country has about a 60% seropositive rate from vaccines and prior infections so 40% have no protection. That’s a lot of people. Luckily we have over 85% of those over age 65 vaccinated so hopefully hospitals won’t overflow.

A few breakthrough cases will probably kill vaccinated people; immunocompromised are especially at risk. And I’m worried about those kids under 12. I’m putting the mask back on for the next couple of months, at least in places where people gather (wore one at Kroger yesterday). I’d recommend everyone else do the same.

Terry Blue
07-26-2021, 06:30 AM
We're worried about getting vaccinated while thousands of untested illegals stream across the border. The masks that most of us wear have very little value. The eyes and ears are exposed and the virus is much smaller than the openings in the masks. Uncovered emails by Fauci have him saying they're not any good. For masks to be effective we wouldn't be able to breathe with them on.

Patrick541
07-26-2021, 07:14 AM
It’s a risk-reward situation. If you are young you aren’t going to die from Covid unless you have some condition that makes you more vulnerable. If you’ve already had the virus your natural immunities make vaccinating irrelevant. I have yet to see a report of someone surviving an initial infection, then succumbing to a second infection. On the other hand the CDC VAERS database now indicates over 6000 deaths that have been reported after taking the vaccine. There have been a large number of reports that indicate people had severe reactions that resulted in permanent damage to the health of young adults and children after taking the vaccine.

VAERS is self reported and no verification required. You can say anything on there.

I am struggling to be patient with the anti vaxxers. If you’re over 18 and not vaccinated you’re asking to get Delta.

Darryl
07-26-2021, 08:35 AM
Interesting that COVID cases were all Trump’s fault when he was in office; now the problems are all the people’s fault for failing to listen to all the lies from the CDC, WHO, Dr. Falsey, Biden, Harris, etc

Darryl

anderwt
07-26-2021, 08:40 AM
Guys the vaccine works… the numbers say it does.. Keep to the subject. The vaccine works. I’ve got a co-worker’s whose family refused to get the vaccine. She is in the hospital at 31 weeks now with covid, having issues and the baby is going to have to be delivered early because the baby isn’t showing much movement.. and don’t give me experimental Vaccine BS, the drugs they treat patients with, all experimental … I’m like Patrick, losing my patience with the non vaccine Bull ****

Darryl
07-26-2021, 08:49 AM
I firmly believe in the vaccine, so much so that we need to ensure the thousands of illegal immigrants streaming in daily are quarantined till they are vaccinated.

I suspect that will cause a steep decline in the numbers of cases. But what do I know after 43 years in Healthcare?

Darryl

catmanjack
07-26-2021, 08:53 AM
Yes the vaccine does work but again many refuse and will never take vaccines, this goes way back in their beliefs.

Terry Blue
07-26-2021, 09:14 AM
I'm double vaccinated. Think I read 85% of those over 65 are fully vaccinated. That's what counts

anderwt
07-26-2021, 10:37 AM
We're worried about getting vaccinated while thousands of untested illegals stream across the border. The masks that most of us wear have very little value. The eyes and ears are exposed and the virus is much smaller than the openings in the masks. Uncovered emails by Fauci have him saying they're not any good. For masks to be effective we wouldn't be able to breathe with them on.

I firmly believe in the vaccine, so much so that we need to ensure the thousands of illegal immigrants streaming in daily are quarantined till they are vaccinated.

I suspect that will cause a steep decline in the numbers of cases. But what do I know after 43 years in Healthcare?

Darryl

Darryl I get your point on immigration.. stick to the subject.. people who are vaccinated are dying. I’m seeing right here at work and I’m seeing babies almost dying because their parents refused the vaccine.. that’s real life.. it’s time to move on from this is COVID real or vaccine real Bull ****.. i want things to be normal. It won’t be until people get vaccinated. I don’t care if they are legal or not. I just simply don’t at this point..

anderwt
07-26-2021, 10:39 AM

I'm double vaccinated. Think I read 85% of those over 65 are fully vaccinated. That's what counts

Exactly.. than why bring up immigration? The two don’t mix.. Look I get the frustration of the media, etc… but at this point, America needs to put their big boy pants on get the shot.. Canada has already beat the US on vaccination rates. They weren’t forced to, they used COMMON SENSE

StuBleedsBlue2
07-26-2021, 10:43 AM
Guys the vaccine works… the numbers say it does.. Keep to the subject. The vaccine works. I’ve got a co-worker’s whose family refused to get the vaccine. She is in the hospital at 31 weeks now with covid, having issues and the baby is going to have to be delivered early because the baby isn’t showing much movement.. and don’t give me experimental Vaccine BS, the drugs they treat patients with, all experimental … I’m like Patrick, losing my patience with the non vaccine Bull ****

Absolutely.

This blame game crap is just that.

This has absolutely nothing to do with illegal immigrants being unvaccinated, as rates are spiking in states where illegal immigrants are not crossing into those states. It has much more to do with the 150+ million people living in this country that are not vaccinated and are not wearing masks.

This country made its choice and now we have to live with it. In times of crises we are only as strong as our weak, and the weak has determined that wearing a mask is a greater infringement on freedoms than wearing seatbelts, smoking in public, wearing helmets, getting insurance and other safety regulations imposed at every level of government. The weak has also accepted the vaccine is a tool of the government to track you, while they regularly carry cell phones and interact on social media. The weak is also believing that we are nearing herd immunity for something no worse that the flu. The weak has also decided that this is political.

Whatever happens, happens and there is no blame that we can point at any one person. We have the power, resources and science to make this basically go away. However, we lack the courage, the will, and the collective intelligence to get there. The fight among ourselves has become more important.

StuBleedsBlue2
07-26-2021, 10:51 AM
Exactly.. than why bring up immigration? The two don’t mix.. Look I get the frustration of the media, etc… but at this point, America needs to put their big boy pants on get the shot.. Canada has already beat the US on vaccination rates. They weren’t forced to, they used COMMON SENSE

Because it is easier to blame it on everybody else than it is to actually admit that the majority of people that are not getting vaccinated may look and think similar to you. If there is someone that I know that gets vaccinated, I have no problem telling them that they are the problem, and other "tough love" methods. Thankfully, that's been just a couple of people and it has worked.

KeithKSR
07-26-2021, 10:55 AM
Darryl I get your point on immigration.. stick to the subject.. people who are vaccinated are dying. I’m seeing right here at work and I’m seeing babies almost dying because their parents refused the vaccine.. that’s real life.. it’s time to move on from this is COVID real or vaccine real Bull ****.. i want things to be normal. It won’t be until people get vaccinated. I don’t care if they are legal or not. I just simply don’t at this point..

I’m a numbers person. At risk people should get the vaccine. With young healthy people I’m not so sure about them, the numbers don’t show a benefit to them.

Darryl
07-26-2021, 11:14 AM

Did you mean “people who are unvaccinated are dying”

I am in favor of everyone being vaccinated.

I am a bit down about the numbers because all the liberals and Biden promised everyone would be cured once Trump was gone.

Darryl

Terry Blue
07-26-2021, 11:26 AM
All the college football and basketball players that tested positive last year and had to sit out. Did you hear of one that was hospitalized and died? The average age of Covid deaths in the US has been 78, just about the average age of deaths overall. Also, heard that of the deaths 80% were obese. Conventional masks don't work, but if you feel better or don't want people to see your face, please mask up

Terry Blue
07-26-2021, 11:32 AM
And for the couple of you that say unvaccinated crossing the border is not a factor, sure it is. It increases the probability of others coming into contact with Covid positive cases

Darryl
07-26-2021, 11:35 AM
And for the couple of you that say unvaccinated crossing the border is not a factor, sure it is. It increases the probability of others coming into contact with Covid positive cases

That statement by them is not reality based.

Darryl

anderwt
07-26-2021, 11:38 AM

Did you mean “people who are unvaccinated are dying”

I am in favor of everyone being vaccinated.

I am a bit down about the numbers because all the liberals and Biden promised everyone would be cured once Trump was gone.

Darryl

Yes my apologies Darryl. The data shows what states are slacking.. I’ll leave it at that and you know where I stand…

Keith my friend’s wife is 35 and has been very sick. Thank the lord, though, baby was born just now and it good condition. Mother is getting there but having breathing issues. And she gave birth by herself with no family cause her husband AND kids were all positive non vaccinated. The testing and craziness goes away if people would get the shot.

anderwt
07-26-2021, 11:39 AM

All the college football and basketball players that tested positive last year and had to sit out. Did you hear of one that was hospitalized and died? The average age of Covid deaths in the US has been 78, just about the average age of deaths overall. Also, heard that of the deaths 80% were obese. Conventional masks don't work, but if you feel better or don't want people to see your face, please mask up

Maybe the mask don’t work.. guess what has been proven to work? The shot

Darryl
07-26-2021, 11:41 AM
Travis, I am with you. I think every adult should be vaccinated; not so sure kids need to be.

Hope your friends are OK.

Darryl

StuBleedsBlue2
07-26-2021, 11:42 AM

Sure, it does, by maybe .0001%. Those folks, in numbers, pale in comparison to the 150+ million unvaccinated in the US.

Why is there SO much focus on the very small number and not the majority of idiot Americans that won’t get vaccinated?

We’ve seen data about the impact of Americans not getting vaccinated. We have seen nothing about the impact of illegals spreading. That reason is simple. It’s irrelevant.

ShoesSwayedBlue
07-26-2021, 12:11 PM
Honestly, for those who have questions about the vaccine, why do you think that Hannity and Fox are now telling people to get vaccinated? Why is the governor of Alabama saying flatly that it's time to blame the unvaccinated for the spread of delta? Why is the governor of Missouri, who had spoken openly against the vaccine and mask mandates, now offering a lottery for people in his state to be vaccinated?

It's because before,when there were no vaccines, most of the people who were dying were from urban areas, where people are closer together and more numerous and where there is much more travel into from many more places.

Now though nearly all of the hospitalizations and deaths are from the unvaccinated, who overwhelmingly are Republican leaning and rural or suburban.

They didn't care before, but now the WRONG PEOPLE, in their minds, are dying,so now they care.

They're not your friends, or allies, or fellow real Americans. They're trying to get your votes, your Nielsen ratings, your dollars, your purchasing power. Screw them and get vaccinated and maybe save your life.

anderwt
07-26-2021, 12:13 PM

Sure, it does, by maybe .0001%. Those folks, in numbers, pale in comparison to the 150+ million unvaccinated in the US.

Why is there SO much focus on the very small number and not the majority of idiot Americans that won’t get vaccinated?

We’ve seen data about the impact of Americans not getting vaccinated. We have seen nothing about the impact of illegals spreading. That reason is simple. It’s irrelevant.

I’m for people getting vaccinated cause the numbers has shown, it works. All the other wacky stuff that gets brought in the conversation is dumb…

Thanks Darryl. I really hope that people who refuse to get vaccinated understand what you may miss out on. My co-worker just missed the birth of his child because he refused to get the the shot.. was it worth it?

anderwt
07-26-2021, 12:18 PM

Honestly, for those who have questions about the vaccine, why do you think that Hannity and Fox are now telling people to get vaccinated? Why is the governor of Alabama saying flatly that it's time to blame the unvaccinated for the spread of delta? Why is the governor of Missouri, who had spoken openly against the vaccine and mask mandates, now offering a lottery for people in his state to be vaccinated?

It's because before,when there were no vaccines, most of the people who were dying were from urban areas, where people are closer together and more numerous and where there is much more travel into from many more places.

Now though nearly all of the hospitalizations and deaths are from the unvaccinated, who overwhelmingly are Republican leaning and rural or suburban.

They didn't care before, but now the WRONG PEOPLE, in their minds, are dying,so now they care.

They're not your friends, or allies, or fellow real Americans. They're trying to get your votes, your Nielsen ratings, your dollars, your purchasing power. Screw them and get vaccinated and maybe save your life.

See that is where you go too far. Go back and see who started the I won’t get vaccinated with the trump warp speed vaccine. Biden and Harris. If you need proof I will attach the comments.

You made this political which is WHY we have this nutso issue. Automatically blaming republicans and suburban racist bull ****. Getting the vaccine isn’t racist or Republican or Democrat… good job in doing exactly what some of us were trying not to do and that’s make it political.

Darryl
07-26-2021, 12:22 PM
Travis, SSB may want to redo that post. That is very harsh.

And you are correct, Biden and Harris were the first ones telling people not to get vaccinated

Darryl

ShoesSwayedBlue
07-26-2021, 12:34 PM
See that is where you go too far. Go back and see who started the I won’t get vaccinated with the trump warp speed vaccine. Biden and Harris. If you need proof I will attach the comments.

You made this political which is WHY we have this nutso issue. Automatically blaming republicans and suburban racist bull ****. Getting the vaccine isn’t racist or Republican or Democrat… good job in doing exactly what some of us were trying not to do and that’s make it political.

Biden and Harris rightfully said they wouldn't get a vaccine rushed into distribution before the election by a president who downplayed, lied about and ignored the virus until it was too late to contain and then publicly mocked the methods suggested by health experts to stop it from spreading further. That's not political, that's a fact.

As for the rural, suburban or Republican remarks, it's not exactly difficult to look at a map or where people are not getting vaccinated and look at where the highest concentrations of Republican voters are. They're the same places.

I'm not making anything political. The people who are not getting vaccinated are. You yourself said there was no logical reason to not get vaccinated. The entirety of the reasoning for not doing so is political.

Anyways, I'm done arguing about this. Believe me, I've argued about it enough in real life. I've got dead relatives and friends whose 'I don't want some Washington liberal telling me what to do' got them what the folks who are denying the truth are going to be getting soon. DONE WITH IT.

StuBleedsBlue2
07-26-2021, 12:42 PM
Biden and Harris rightfully said they wouldn't get a vaccine rushed into distribution before the election by a president who downplayed, lied about and ignored the virus until it was too late to contain and then publicly mocked the methods suggested by health experts to stop it from spreading further. That's not political, that's a fact.

Exactly, and with very reasonable precautions. At the end of the day, once the appropriate agencies gave their approval, reasonable, and many unreasonable people got the vaccine. Even those that spend every available minute downplaying the vaccine were the first in line to get theirs.

There is nothing wrong with some initial skepticism, but when the science clearly points out that it works, there is absolutely no rational excuse, other than some health condition, to get it. Among those that are unvaccinated, it's an us vs them mindset for most.

ukpumacat
07-26-2021, 12:52 PM
I’ll just say a quick (turns out not so quick) comment before this inevitably moves to the political forum.

I certainly know the vaccine became politicized by many.
But long before Covid there has been a growing swell of people who already believed against vaccines. More than many think.
It was long before Trump or Biden or Fauci or anyone else.
Imo, it was a lot of disinformation. But it existed nonetheless and most of it outside of the political spectrum.
Much of it was built on conspiracy theories etc and much of it a general distrust for all things government and corporate health care.
Then of course, those two trains ran parallel (the politicizing of it and the already distrust in vaccines). And many on both sides took advantage of its political power.
My point of saying all of that is that I don’t think many of the people who have decided not to get the vaccine are “idiots” or “morons”.
And I don’t think many of them bought the political side of it. I simply think they were misinformed (again, that part imo) and have been for some time.
They didn’t believe Trump or Biden or Fauci. They simply believed the Facebook and YouTube videos that have existed for a long time (the ones about autism etc).
Putting a foreign substance in your body is a big deal. Doing it when it was done so quickly an even bigger deal. And doing it with a brand new form of vaccine (at least to the common man - mrna) that was manufactured is a perfect recipe for the skeptical.

Imo, everyone should get the vaccine. I chose to. Many of my friends on here from both sides of the aisle did as well and I am thankful for that because I want all of you to be alive.
I don’t however think those who don’t are morons or political hacks (and sure, that does exist; just not solely). And I think a more gracious approach by all in their circle of influence would go a much further way than minimizing their reasons. And if they still decide not to, we accept their choice that a free country gives us.

Finally, I am very sorry to all on here that have lost loved ones and currently have friends and loved ones battling it.

anderwt
07-26-2021, 12:58 PM
I’m tired of our country being not in some way normal. The fight with cnn and foxnews I can handle, being told that we still may not be able to do somewhat normal life for a long time only because people refuse to get vaccinated is frustrating. Sorry if I offended, it’s been a frustrating day watching close friends stress and almost die because of refusing to get vaccinated

catmanjack
07-26-2021, 01:04 PM
Great post Puma and kinda what I was talking about that not getting the vaccine had zero to do with politics.
Also as you say these are not morons which makes me cringe to say because making a choice right or wrong does not give anyone the right to call you names.

Darryl
07-26-2021, 01:09 PM
I’m tired of our country being not in some way normal. The fight with cnn and foxnews I can handle, being told that we still may not be able to do somewhat normal life for a long time only because people refuse to get vaccinated is frustrating. Sorry if I offended, it’s been a frustrating day watching close friends stress and almost die because of refusing to get vaccinated

Your posts were fine. Puma did a great job. The other 2 calling Republicans morons and idiots were out of line. I am not surprised by one, but was by SSB.

I got the vaccine in January (my arm hurt like heck after the 1st one, had a 24 hour flu-like syndrome after the 2nd). I now have 96% protection against getting the virus and 99.4% chance of living IF I contract it. I figure I'll find something else to worry about.

My family here in Alabama has been vaccinated, and I tell everyone I know to get it.

Darryl

StuBleedsBlue2
07-26-2021, 01:49 PM
Anyone, besides legitimate health reasons, chooses to not get vaccinated is making a stupid, idiotic, moronic, high risk decision. Very similar to decisions such as drinking and driving, not wearing a helmet while on a motorcycle, not wearing a mask while unvaccinated, crossing a street on a major, busy highway without a street sign, choosing not to get regular medical check-ups or trips to the dentist. I can go on and on about specific decisions, but I would think people are more less aligned that these are not smart decisions.

Doing one of those things does not necessarily make you a moron, idiot, etc. Consistently making such decisions does.

KentuckyWildcat
07-26-2021, 02:07 PM
Honestly, for those who have questions about the vaccine, why do you think that Hannity and Fox are now telling people to get vaccinated?

I have yet to hear Hannity push the vaccine. I listen to him for about 15 minutes everyday on the way home. What I always hear him say is to talk to your doctors, educate yourself, and make the best decision for you. If you have a link where he is pushing the vaccine, please share that for me.

ShoesSwayedBlue
07-26-2021, 02:14 PM
I have yet to hear Hannity push the vaccine. I listen to him for about 15 minutes everyday on the way home. What I always hear him say is to talk to your doctors, educate yourself, and make the best decision for you. If you have a link where he is pushing the vaccine, please share that for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_Jj7zN_j8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XtKwUohiI

KentuckyWildcat
07-26-2021, 02:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_Jj7zN_j8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XtKwUohiI

Thanks. IMO that is consistent with what Hannity has said all along. I'm generally not a fan of his, but I have appreciated how he has communicated this.

Basket Case
07-26-2021, 03:28 PM

Why are you losing your patience if someone doesn't get vaccinated? They can make that decision for themselves. The vaccine works for you, you have the immunity.

The drug is still in EUA, btw.

The virus will be around forever, it is awesome that a vaccine was developed so quickly so that people have the ability to protect themselves.

Catfan73
07-26-2021, 03:32 PM

Masks can be effective if everyone in the room is wearing them. They’re less effective if lots of people aren’t wearing them since infected people who aren’t masked can really fill the air with virus. And apparently the delta variant causes very high particle counts in the air.

I regret resurrecting your thread Terry after it sat idle for a week but when K-12 schools open this stuff could really go wild. Everyone hang on and keep your head down.

KeithKSR
07-26-2021, 03:41 PM
I’ll just say a quick (turns out not so quick) comment before this inevitably moves to the political forum.

I certainly know the vaccine became politicized by many.
But long before Covid there has been a growing swell of people who already believed against vaccines. More than many think.
It was long before Trump or Biden or Fauci or anyone else.
Imo, it was a lot of disinformation. But it existed nonetheless and most of it outside of the political spectrum.
Much of it was built on conspiracy theories etc and much of it a general distrust for all things government and corporate health care.
Then of course, those two trains ran parallel (the politicizing of it and the already distrust in vaccines). And many on both sides took advantage of its political power.
My point of saying all of that is that I don’t think many of the people who have decided not to get the vaccine are “idiots” or “morons”.
And I don’t think many of them bought the political side of it. I simply think they were misinformed (again, that part imo) and have been for some time.
They didn’t believe Trump or Biden or Fauci. They simply believed the Facebook and YouTube videos that have existed for a long time (the ones about autism etc).
Putting a foreign substance in your body is a big deal. Doing it when it was done so quickly an even bigger deal. And doing it with a brand new form of vaccine (at least to the common man - mrna) that was manufactured is a perfect recipe for the skeptical.

Imo, everyone should get the vaccine. I chose to. Many of my friends on here from both sides of the aisle did as well and I am thankful for that because I want all of you to be alive.
I don’t however think those who don’t are morons or political hacks (and sure, that does exist; just not solely). And I think a more gracious approach by all in their circle of influence would go a much further way than minimizing their reasons. And if they still decide not to, we accept their choice that a free country gives us.

Finally, I am very sorry to all on here that have lost loved ones and currently have friends and loved ones battling it.

Well said, Puma.

I don’t see the vaccine/no vaccine as a political issue. I see it as a lot of people being wary of what the government feeds them. A lot of people are taking a wait and see approach. The CDC and NIH have been all over the place since the very beginning. Just today their was an announcement that the PCR rapid test emergency use authorization is being withdrawn due to false negatives, false positives and being unable to distinguish between SARS-Cov2 and influenza.

I’m not an anti-vaccine guy. I took the Hep B vaccine 30 years ago when it was still pretty new, I was the first staff member in the school to receive it. I took the Hep A as soon as it became available.

The duality of the messages is what concerns me. The CDC says masks aren’t required for the vaccinated, Fauci talks about a need for everyone to be masked. Biden is vaccinated, wears the mask everywhere. The White House has an outbreak among the vaccinated, refuses to give the numbers. 20% of a group of vaccinated people come down with the virus. Vaccinated media types are going on rants about the unvaccinated infecting them. The desire to vaccinate the people who have had the virus is definitely a head scratcher. Why artificially stimulate antibodies in people that have the antibodies?

Why the constant data manipulation? There are 260 million Americans 18 or older. There are approximately 95.9 million unvaccinated adults. That means approximately 37% of adults haven’t been vaccinated. The number I can’t locate is the number of unvaccinated adults who have had the virus.

I’ll likely get the vaccine, it’ll probably be later in the summer. I want to see some consistency in the message. Putting off getting the vaccine is easy. I don’t particularly care for crowds and I am a practicing procrastinator.

StuBleedsBlue2
07-26-2021, 04:01 PM
If someone wants to wait to get vaccinated until there is better messaging, formal approval, or some other logical reason AND continue to practice social distancing, wear a mask and other mitigation approaches, I really do not have a problem with that.

There really is no debate anymore about whether the vaccine works. It does.

KeithKSR
07-26-2021, 04:04 PM
The virus will be around forever, it is awesome that a vaccine was developed so quickly so that people have the ability to protect themselves.

I don’t think a lot of people have realized the reality that the virus will be around forever. That doesn’t mean masks forever as Fauci has said, he tends to fear monger. The virus adapts and becomes less lethal, our immune systems adapt and become more efficient at fighting it. Occasionally more potent strains will pop up and cause some issues. The Spanish Flu is H1N1 type A, it makes the rounds every year without the mass deaths from a century ago.

KeithKSR
07-26-2021, 04:18 PM
If someone wants to wait to get vaccinated until there is better messaging, formal approval, or some other logical reason AND continue to practice social distancing, wear a mask and other mitigation approaches, I really do not have a problem with that.

There really is no debate anymore about whether the vaccine works. It does.

Concerning to me is the recent poll where 50% of Blacks and Hispanics responded that they would never be vaccinated, these were the largest never vax groups. People on the fence can be swayed, skeptics can be swayed, but swaying those who are firmly on the no side is much more difficult.

StuBleedsBlue2
07-26-2021, 05:48 PM
Concerning to me is the recent poll where 50% of Blacks and Hispanics responded that they would never be vaccinated, these were the largest never vax groups. People on the fence can be swayed, skeptics can be swayed, but swaying those who are firmly on the no side is much more difficult.

What, the greater number of white people that won't get vaccinated is not concerning?

There is definitely a problem with people of color (or anyone) that choose not to ever get vaccinated, but I am questioning the polling as the data actually shows that May - July that people of color have have disproportionately exceeded vaccinations relative to white people, which essentially tells me that, like everything else in healthcare, there has been an access problem.

There has been tremendous outreach by celebrities, politicians and anyone else to the people in brown and black communities and it seems to be working. If outreach is not working for those that say "never", death of loved ones will and we hear stories about that everyday too.

None of this really matters, though, because it doesn't matter what the color of a person's skin is, their political affiliation or whatever else, people are making very poor decisions to not get vaccinated. Besides VERY small pockets and communities, herd immunity is a fantasy until we can get at least 70% of the country fully vaccinated.

Catfan73
07-30-2021, 09:58 AM
They’re now saying the delta variant has an R-naught value of 7 to 8. This is going to get scary.

CitizenBBN
07-30-2021, 10:04 AM
Yes the vaccine does work but again many refuse and will never take vaccines, this goes way back in their beliefs.

Beliefs that seem relatively new in our history.

I wonder what we would look like if 40% of the country refused vaccines for typhoid, polio, etc.

KeithKSR
07-31-2021, 02:07 AM
They’re now saying the delta variant has an R-naught value of 7 to 8. This is going to get scary.

The Delta variant seems to be more contagious, but less lethal than the variant that hit last winter. Like other viruses this one will be with us forever. The Spanish Flu was H1N1, it still makes its rounds each year, every now and then a more potent mutation pops up, but by and large people don’t pay a lot of attention to it.

KeithKSR
07-31-2021, 02:11 AM
Beliefs that seem relatively new in our history.

I wonder what we would look like if 40% of the country refused vaccines for typhoid, polio, etc.

Some try to politicize those not wanting to take the vaccine, but that isn’t very accurate. The new masking guidelines make it less likely skeptics will want to be vaccinated.

Catfan73
07-31-2021, 08:43 AM
The Delta variant seems to be more contagious, but less lethal than the variant that hit last winter. Like other viruses this one will be with us forever. The Spanish Flu was H1N1, it still makes its rounds each year, every now and then a more potent mutation pops up, but by and large people don’t pay a lot of attention to it.

They still haven’t gotten enough research to know how deadly the delta may be. They do think hospitalization is twice as likely in unvaccinated individuals with delta than in unvaccinated individuals with alpha so that’s not encouraging. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01358-1/fulltext

KeithKSR
08-03-2021, 02:57 AM
They still haven’t gotten enough research to know how deadly the delta may be. They do think hospitalization is twice as likely in unvaccinated individuals with delta than in unvaccinated individuals with alpha so that’s not encouraging. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01358-1/fulltext

They have quite a bit of research on Delta, it has been in the UK for most of 2021. https://collateralglobal.org/article/delta-variant-vs-case-fatality-rate-in-the-uk/

bigsky
08-03-2021, 08:54 AM
Never thought the vaccinated % would get too far past the flu rate, even with all the ANNUAL expensive flu vaccine campaigns. Every year. And flu wins the all time killer virus award I think.

People like me (old, cancerous, immuno compromised) ran out and butted in line and got it. Some 18-49 with parent like me or in public contact jobs got it.

Lots of immunizations out there, pneumonia, shingles, HPV, and some people get them and a certain percentage dont.

Period.

CitizenBBN
08-03-2021, 05:07 PM
Reminds me I need to do the shingles one. I recall there was supposed to be a wait but I think I'm good now. Though I'm hoping Pfizer gets permission to offer a 3rd shot for Covid.

dan_bgblue
08-05-2021, 07:52 AM
Reminds me I need to do the shingles one. I recall there was supposed to be a wait but I think I'm good now. Though I'm hoping Pfizer gets permission to offer a 3rd shot for Covid.

The wonderful, trustworthy WHO does not want you got get a booster shot

Linkage (https://www.foxnews.com/health/who-calls-moratorium-vaccine-booster-shots)

Catfan73
08-05-2021, 08:01 AM

My doc wanted me to get the shingles before the Pfizer this spring. I’m 59. I would check first though and make sure they have it on hand.

CitizenBBN
08-05-2021, 09:04 AM
The wonderful, trustworthy WHO does not want you got get a booster shot

Linkage (https://www.foxnews.com/health/who-calls-moratorium-vaccine-booster-shots)

Yeah, they'd never lie about the need for a booster shot for Americans and Europeans. Not them.

bigsky
08-06-2021, 07:12 AM
Shingles shot is expensive, insurance doesnt really cover, and there is a chance of Guillan-Barre spelling not withstanding. So investigate. I would have gotten it and probably will someday.

Got both pneumonia vaccines. Get a flu shot annually. Medicine has saved my live twice, and now I’m going for three. It has a great track record in the last 100 years.

Catfan73
08-06-2021, 08:02 AM
My insurance covered both shots of the Shingrix 100%.

dan_bgblue
08-06-2021, 09:26 AM
Up until my stint in the hospital I had never taken the flu, nor the pneumonia vaccines, and have always been too stupid to cover the shingles virus.

I have not nor will I miss the flu and pneumonia shots as long as they keep giving them and i can afford them.

bigsky
08-06-2021, 10:36 AM
My insurance covered both shots of the Shingrix 100%.

And mine did not. Which is why ya gotta check

Catfan73
08-11-2021, 04:53 PM
Hopefully people are still getting vaccinated but we’re probably about to reach the point to where it’s too late to really matter since it takes awhile to build up immunity. Best thing for now is to avoid crowds.

KeithKSR
08-12-2021, 01:45 AM
Up until my stint in the hospital I had never taken the flu, nor the pneumonia vaccines, and have always been too stupid to cover the shingles virus.

I have not nor will I miss the flu and pneumonia shots as long as they keep giving them and i can afford them.

I signed up to take the flu shot 20-25 years ago. When they saw I have an egg white allergy that put a quick end to taking flu shots. I don’t know that I have ever had the flu, which is quite an accomplishment for someone who worked in public schools for 30 years.

KeithKSR
08-12-2021, 02:01 AM

The only reason for a booster would be a decreased immunity over time, and right now they have no idea how long any immunities might last. The interesting thing I have observed is reinfections of Covid are much rarer than someone contracting Covid who has been vaccinated, but not infected.

Doc
08-12-2021, 07:25 AM
The only reason for a booster would be a decreased immunity over time, and right now they have no idea how long any immunities might last. The interesting thing I have observed is reinfections of Covid are much rarer than someone contracting Covid who has been vaccinated, but not infected.

But if CoviD is so prevalent, why are we not continually exposed which basically boosts the vaccine induced immunity?

KeithKSR
08-12-2021, 11:51 AM
But if CoviD is so prevalent, why are we not continually exposed which basically boosts the vaccine induced immunity?

According to the MSM everyone in Florida must currently be infected. Is that not true?

Our local health department is freaking out about the current rate in our county, it was running into the high 70s per 100,000. I told them at that rate it would take 3.5 years for everyone in our county to become infected. Kentucky has had just under 376,000 confirmed cases out of a population of around 4.5 million. That means less than one confirmed case for every 10 people. Numbers of “probable” cases are included in the state totals that are pumped out daily, but those probables never tested positive. It seems to me that there should be no one in the probable category since antibody testing would reveal if someone has had the virus, provided they haven’t taken a vaccine. One issue with the confirmed numbers is that the PCR test cannot discriminate between Covid and influenza, which also means it cannot distinguish between those two viruses and RSV, and other coronaviruses that humans are susceptible to contracting. The PCR test is also prone to false results. There was info on the PCR issues on the CDC website, but the info magically disappeared shortly after non-MSM sources began reporting it. I read the info before it was taken down. After it was taken down the MSM issued fact checks claiming the reports were false. There seems to be a lot of this type of thing going on.