PDA

View Full Version : I am not knowledgeable of the Florida governors performance in that state

dan_bgblue
06-23-2021, 07:36 AM
but I feel like he deserves a pat on the back for his stand on some of the education curriculum.

Linkage (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/schools-provide-cpr-training-teach-civics)

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced new state programs for students Tuesday that will require civics and patriotism education as well as CPR training.

"Once students graduate high school, some will go to college, some of them will do other things…whatever you do, this civics is gonna be relevant because you are going to be a citizen," DeSantis said at an afternoon news briefing in Fort Myers.

It will also require high school students to learn about "the evils of communism and totalitarian ideologies."

CitizenBBN
06-23-2021, 08:56 AM
It's sad we've reached a point where our educators have to be forced by law to teach that communism and totalitarianism are evil. But I have no doubt it's necessary.

Doc
06-23-2021, 10:41 AM
Best gov in the nation

KeithKSR
06-23-2021, 11:03 AM
I always tied current tyrannical or totalitarian regimes with those of the past when I taught World History.

suncat05
06-24-2021, 07:03 AM
Of all the governors we've had since I've lived here in Florida, he has been the best. By far. And IMHO, it's not even close.

And I still shudder to think what it may have looked like here if that liberal drug addict from Tallahassee had won instead of DeSantis. Another problem on the horizon that concerns me is the influx of people from Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria and the current influx of Yankees from places like New York, New Jersey, Michigan and other northern states who have traditionally voted Democrat, who all seem to think that moving to Florida is the answer to their problems, when in fact, it's the liberal, corrupt and inept politicians who they vote into public offices in Yankee-land that are the real problem. And whom most likely will continue to vote Democrat because, well, probably because they're dumber than a box of rocks. But that's just my humble opinion, we'll see how it all shakes out in the off year elections here next year.

suncat05
06-24-2021, 07:28 AM
It's sad we've reached a point where our educators have to be forced by law to teach that communism and totalitarianism are evil. But I have no doubt it's necessary.

Many of the teachers that are teaching these kids are the products of the very same system that they are teaching in now. They too have been indoctrinated in the same way that they and the teachers unions want to continue to use against our children. You know we're in trouble as a nation when a state legislature has to legislate laws that require the instruction of American history and civics into public school curriculum.

But it gives me hope, albeit however small it is, that a governor like Ron DeSantis has the fortitude to sign such a bill into law, addressing the problem head on instead of deferring to the teachers union like Jeb Bush or Charlie Crist would have done.

VirginiaCat
06-24-2021, 07:56 AM
Best gov in the nation

I have a feeling soon to be POTUS

Doc
06-24-2021, 11:52 AM
Of all the governors we've had since I've lived here in Florida, he has been the best. By far. And IMHO, it's not even close.

Better then Charlie Crist?

Doc
06-24-2021, 11:53 AM
I have a feeling soon to be POTUS

I would not vote for him. I want him to stay as FL governor, where he can actually do some good. As POTUS he has to participate in the Washington DC swamp.

suncat05
06-24-2021, 12:35 PM
Better then Charlie Crist?

Charlie Crist was a below average governor. And I have zero use for him myself because of what he and his pals on the Public Utilities Commission did to the county I lived in when FPL wanted to put a new generation coal burning power plant in Glades County. The Commission voted it down, as well as the solar energy plant that the county was approached about too. We got neither, but the solar plant went to Okeechobee, and the coal power plant went somewhere else too, although I don't remember where. Osceola County, I think, but I could be wrong. That was a huge loss of tax revenue for a poor and underprivileged county like Glades County.
I also blame our Board of County Commissioners for that happening too, as I honestly don't believe they fought tooth & nail for either of those power plants like they should have. The loss of both of those plants amounts to approximately in the neighborhood of around $20,000,000 a year.
And Jeb Bush wasn't any better either. He was the one that pushed for and got the FCAT student testing implemented in Florida Public Schools, which has turned out to be a disaster for the students of Florida because the teachers spend most of the school year preparing the students to pass the FCAT instead of actually teaching the kids what they should be learning. You know, the basic stuff, like reading comprehension, writing, basic math and AMERICAN HISTORY. :banghead:

Thank God for Governor Ron DeSantis. And should he be on the next Presidential ticket, either as candidate for POTUS or VPOTUS, he will likely get my vote. Should he be re-elected as Governor, by the time the next general Presidential election rolls around, he would only have 2 years left in the Governors mansion anyway due to term limits anyway.

CitizenBBN
06-24-2021, 03:32 PM
Many of the teachers that are teaching these kids are the products of the very same system that they are teaching in now. They too have been indoctrinated in the same way that they and the teachers unions want to continue to use against our children. You know we're in trouble as a nation when a state legislature has to legislate laws that require the instruction of American history and civics into public school curriculum.

But it gives me hope, albeit however small it is, that a governor like Ron DeSantis has the fortitude to sign such a bill into law, addressing the problem head on instead of deferring to the teachers union like Jeb Bush or Charlie Crist would have done.

IMO the key to saving this nation is to break up public education and end the teacher's union. Privatize the whole system. The key step is vouchers. Let each parent with a child vote their dollars as to which school they want their children to attend.

That would end this crap right now. Which is why the teacher's union fights it tooth and toenail.

Doc
06-24-2021, 07:52 PM
Charlie Crist was a joke. He took RINO to a new level...a level so low he became a democrat

dan_bgblue
07-17-2021, 07:35 AM
Compare Florida to Virginia

Michelle Leete, a leader in the Virginia state Parent-Teacher Association and an official in the NAACP's Fairfax chapter, was captured on video at a Thursday rally saying "Let them die!" in reference to people who oppose critical race theory being taught in schools.

She made the comments while speaking to fellow counter-protesters present during a "Stop CRT rally" outside a Fairfax County school board meeting. Leete is Vice President of Training at the Virginia state PTA and Vice President of Communications for the Fairfax County PTA. She is also First Vice President of the Fairfax County NAACP.

Many people in the crowd cheered and applauded upon hearing Leete's cry of "Let them die!"

Newsweek (https://www.newsweek.com/virginia-pta-official-says-let-them-die-about-parents-opposing-critical-race-theory-1610636)

KeithKSR
07-18-2021, 04:47 PM
IMO the key to saving this nation is to break up public education and end the teacher's union. Privatize the whole system. The key step is vouchers. Let each parent with a child vote their dollars as to which school they want their children to attend.

That would end this crap right now. Which is why the teacher's union fights it tooth and toenail.

The NEA and AFT don’t have much influence outside the metropolitan areas. The people in charge at the national level are a bunch of liberal nuts. Most teachers are only members for the liability insurance. I dropped out of KEA and joined KAPE, which had a similarly priced liability insurance with much cheaper dues.