PDA

View Full Version : Pensacola

KentuckyWildcat
05-29-2021, 08:49 AM
Going to Pensacola for a long weekend this Fall.

Restaurant or activity suggestions with 4 and 6 year old girls? We have driven through Pensacola a few times, but this one of the last areas on our bucket list to stay in the panhandle.

MickintheHam
05-29-2021, 02:06 PM
Two Words:
Joe Patti

https://www.joepattis.com/Joe-Pattis-Seafood-Company-Welcome.cfm

Bring your largest cooler and make this your first stop and last stop in Pensacola. Load up on Seafood and sauces to stock your condo. Load up on your way out of town to extend your vacation whenyou return home. It’s an amazing place. If you don’t know how to prepare what you buy or just want some ideas, they will explain everything.

Darrell KSR
05-29-2021, 10:50 PM
If it's before milb season ends, catch a Blue Wahoos game. Great, picturesque view of the water behind the outfield fence, and frankly, cool minor league name (and merchandise).

Go to the Naval Aviation Museum if you haven't been. Kids will find things they enjoy, planes to climb on, etc, and very enjoyable for adults. Check the Navy Blue Angels schedule and see if they are in town. If they are, try to go on a day they are practicing (they publicize the days) and you can meet the pilots afterward there. Or enjoy watching them over the ocean, then come visit the museum another day. There's also a lighthouse there that you can visit, reserve time on, and do things like a ghost tour, but that probably won't fit with what you want to do.

Lots of folks swear by McGuires Pub, and we've been there. Liked it, but didn't get the "must do" others get out of it. Guess I'd recommend it, though. Bring a dollar bill to staple on the wall, supposedly more than a million of them are there.

Enjoy. Down Pensacola Beach, the far end toward the Portfofino Complex, is my favorite beach area of all the panhandle beaches. We don't do the activities thing much, though, so I don't have much to recommend personally (except the Blue Wahoos, which we love, and anything related to the Navy Blue Angels and the Museum.)

dan_bgblue
05-30-2021, 01:31 PM
Do they still have a SR-71 Blackbird parked at the Naval Air Station Museum? If they do, that beast is worth the trip to get there to see all by itself. I am also a fan of McGuires Pub as I love their restaurant made root beer, shepher'ds pie, and their cheese cake is to kill for.

BigBluePappy
05-30-2021, 02:48 PM
Shepherd's Pie, Bowl of Bean Soup and house-brewed Irish Red.
Can't speak for Pensacola, but the Destin location was absolutely larrupin good...

blueboss
05-30-2021, 05:08 PM
Shepherd's Pie, Bowl of Bean Soup and house-brewed Irish Red.
Can't speak for Pensacola, but the Destin location was absolutely larrupin good...

I’ll take a bowl of French onion soup, a m/r ribeye and a side of asparagus... which is exactly what I did about three weeks ago.

Between Pensacola and Navarre Beach there is a stretch of road that runs through a protected bird nesting area with a pristine stretch of beaches. There are pull offs with boardwalk/beach access along the way. It’s a beautiful little drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
05-30-2021, 05:23 PM
I’ll take a bowl of French onion soup, a m/r ribeye and a side of asparagus... which is exactly what I did about three weeks ago.

Between Pensacola and Navarre Beach there is a stretch of road that runs through a protected bird nesting area with a pristine stretch of beaches. There are pull offs with boardwalk/beach access along the way. It’s a beautiful little drive.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAnd a great place to run if you are into running.

KentuckyWildcat
05-31-2021, 10:27 AM
Enjoy. Down Pensacola Beach, the far end toward the Portfofino Complex, is my favorite beach area of all the panhandle beaches.

This area is why my wife wanted to go. I could go or not but she really wanted to stay at Portofino. We decided not to stay there, but it was that area that triggered this trip. We drove home that way from Navarre and it is a wonderful looking area.

McGuires, I was wondering if this is the same as Destin. I think someone in here said it was. I've never eaten there. We didn't get go there time we went to Destin. Some water line broke or something and traffic was at a stand still for hours. My wife's family ate there years ago and loved it, so maybe I'll get to try it this time.

I'm curious if my girls will like the aviation activities, I think they will. I'm thinking we will try it.

Joe Patti's looks like heaven for my brother in law lol

Darrell KSR
05-31-2021, 11:24 AM
I look for deals on Portofino, and grab them when I can. They are generally proud of their towers, but I need them to be more humble.

McGuires is the same as the one in Destin.

KentuckyWildcat
05-31-2021, 02:32 PM
I look for deals on Portofino, and grab them when I can. They are generally proud of their towers, but I need them to be more humble.

They are proud, but if the place is as nice as it looks, it is probably worth it. I found a few I was willing to pay for, but we opted to go cheaper and possibly go somewhere else again closer to Christmas.

Darrell KSR
05-31-2021, 03:13 PM
They are proud, but if the place is as nice as it looks, it is probably worth it. I found a few I was willing to pay for, but we opted to go cheaper and possibly go somewhere else again closer to Christmas.

It is as nice as it looks and more. Just hard for me to justify unless I can get a deal. Everybody has their decision process and I wish mine led there every time, but it doesn't lol.

KentuckyWildcat
06-01-2021, 10:37 AM
It is as nice as it looks and more. Just hard for me to justify unless I can get a deal. Everybody has their decision process and I wish mine led there every time, but it doesn't lol.

I could stay at the Motel 6, but my wife is 180 degrees the opposite of me lol

Thankfully now that so many of these chain hotels offer vinyl flooring we have stayed cheaper the last few years and have been able to go more. I think we are saving about $900 by not staying at Portofino. Kids are small and we don't need the extra space yet and $900 will go a long way toward the next trip.

We ended up at Margaritaville for this trip.

Darrell KSR
06-02-2021, 09:50 PM
Go see former Kentucky Wildcat Tristan Pompey before he's called up!

Blue Wahoos... 2020 organization of the year, winner of a previous year's best ballpark. As their Twitter Account says, "Business on the field, party in the stands."

@BlueWahoosBBall: Tristan Pompey's third hit of the night is a two-RBI triple! https://twitter.com/BlueWahoosBBall/status/1400280102383099907/video/1

KentuckyWildcat
06-03-2021, 11:14 AM
Awesome. I hope he is called up soon. I looked, I think their season will be over. And I don't have a clue how the minor league post season works.

Darrell KSR
06-03-2021, 11:48 AM
OK--so I don't know much about this, but I would think this would be AWESOME for your girls (what am I talking about--for you and your wife).

But during the offseason, the Blue Wahoos baseball stadium becomes an Air BNB. Stay there!

I don't have time right now to look up the stories I've read, but you're not really renting out the whole stadium, just maybe like a suite or something? I think they give you a tour of the stadium the next day, show a G or PG rated baseball movie on the jumbotron that night with popcorn on the outfield, the whole 9 yards.

When my sons were little, we did an overnight tent camp (no stakes) at the Hoover Met, and it was awesome.

(It actually may be very expensive, because you may be renting out a suite that would accommodate well more than one family. I think it might be appropriate if you had 2 or 3 families vacationing together. But I honestly don't remember. I do remember thinking it was expensive, but not like renting out the whole stadium kinda thing, just like, "gee, they're not getting that much for it, are they really?" kinda thing.)

KentuckyWildcat
06-03-2021, 02:36 PM
That is the most awesome idea ever.

But a quick Google search tells me it is a multi family expense :) But still an awesome idea.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/43485958?source_impression_id=p3_1622748979_Y2se58 lidpyH7Tda

Darrell KSR
06-03-2021, 02:42 PM
That is the most awesome idea ever.

But a quick Google search tells me it is a multi family expense :) But still an awesome idea.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/43485958?source_impression_id=p3_1622748979_Y2se58 lidpyH7Tda

Aww, darn. Yeah, something was nagging me that that probably was the case. Maybe someday will have a Kentucky sports report vacation get together.

Darrell KSR
06-03-2021, 02:44 PM
Oh, I just clicked the link and saw the rate. Yeah, I would pay that. For a week. LOL.

dan_bgblue
06-03-2021, 08:40 PM
That is a real pretty swing he has. Don't believe it has changed a bit since moving on from Lex.

Darrell KSR
06-03-2021, 09:25 PM
It's just one more thing I like about minor league baseball. I don't follow it enough to know what teams Kentucky players may be playing on, or even former SEC players, and it's always a treat for me to see one of them in the lineup. That's yet one more reason I try when I visit a minor-league baseball town to catch again. Very inexpensive entertainment, generally pretty good baseball, great views, and you see pretty cool things like that.

dan_bgblue
06-04-2021, 07:29 AM
and you see pretty cool things like that.

I once saw mullet races. It was a weird combination of the hair style and the ocean fish.

KSRBEvans
06-04-2021, 08:21 AM
Two Words:
Joe Patti

https://www.joepattis.com/Joe-Pattis-Seafood-Company-Welcome.cfm

Bring your largest cooler and make this your first stop and last stop in Pensacola. Load up on Seafood and sauces to stock your condo. Load up on your way out of town to extend your vacation whenyou return home. It’s an amazing place. If you don’t know how to prepare what you buy or just want some ideas, they will explain everything.

Seconded! It's our first visit when we arrive and the last on the way out of town.

Darrell KSR
06-07-2021, 05:59 PM
Another suggestion. But don't get in.

@ABC: "Do not get in."

Beachgoers in Pensacola, Florida, got quite the startle when they spotted hammerhead sharks swimming between docked boats. https://abcn.ws/34WxgQH https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1402026647608516609/video/1

KentuckyWildcat
06-09-2021, 08:14 AM
Another suggestion. But don't get in.

@ABC: "Do not get in."

Beachgoers in Pensacola, Florida, got quite the startle when they spotted hammerhead sharks swimming between docked boats. https://abcn.ws/34WxgQH https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1402026647608516609/video/1

I just saw this. At least the water is clear :)

KentuckyWildcat
06-09-2021, 08:16 AM
I've actually been close to a shark, close enough to touch. I can't say that I want to be that close to one again. I love the guy waste deep with his beverage lol