PDA

View Full Version : Fitness forum

kritikalcat
08-30-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm trying to gain some weight, good (read: muscle mass) weight. I'm 45, 6' tall, and most of my post-college life have been in the 170-180 range. I started losing weight - not intentionally - several months ago and now hover around 150. I'd like to get back up to 165+ without adding (much) fat.

My doctor confirmed I've lost 20 Lbs since my last visit, when I saw him last month for a checkup after I was in a car wreck. I'm pretty sure I can account for why: business stress plus relationship stress (protracted break up with girlfriend I thought was going to be my next-and-last wife) killed my appetite while at same time I became more physically active (trying to walk/run 2 miles a day, etc.)

I'm trying to follow a high protein, low fat diet, I stopped running due to humidity but back at that now. I did a 9:10 mile this morning, started on a 7 minute pace for 1/2 mile but then slowed. I know the running won't help me gain, but I need to improve my overall fitness (4 months ago I could barely walk a mile) I have a little dumbbell set (30 Lbs - got it for my son) I do curls, rows, etc. with. I was going to join a gym but too busy right now to go consistently. I'm doing physical work around the house (demolishing my deck and building a new one).

ukblue
08-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Try trotting to the refrigerator ever time a commercial comes on. You would not believe how good it has worked for me.:)

kritikalcat
08-31-2012, 04:25 PM
I bet I'd gain the weight back.

Darrell KSR
08-31-2012, 06:32 PM
I fell out of my chair when I read the words, "I'm trying to gain some weight..," my eyes glazed over, and I stopped reading after that point. :)

kritikalcat
09-14-2012, 04:17 PM
:cool: hmm

getting an almost, maybe, daily run in, definitely not 2 (will have to get up earlier), not that this is going to help me gain but it's good for my overall fitness level (except maybe my feet, ankles, knees... I should consider myself lucky to be able to run at all at 45 - know too many friends my age who can't due to injuries, surgeries, etc.) I need to lift consistently. The appetite is still meh. Still, I feel pretty healthy, so stopped worrying about the scale for awhile.