PDA

View Full Version : We should probably conclude Keion is staying at UK

KeithKSR
05-05-2021, 03:39 PM
This is from his UK bio. https://ukathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/keion-brooks-jr-/8479

Sophomore: Southeastern Conference Winter Academic Honor Roll member ... One of 11 Division I men’s basketball student-athletes to serve on the National Association of Basketball Coaches Player Development Coalition, providing the NABC with valuable perspective and feedback on college basketball-related issues … Also served on the SEC’s Council on Racial Equity and Social Justice, helping identify resources, outline strategies and assist with implementation of efforts that will promote racial equity and social justice, while also fostering diversity, helping overcome racism and pursuing non-discrimination in intercollegiate athletics … Member of UK’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee … One of three team captains … Played a key leadership role both on and off the court in his transition from freshman to veteran on a young and inexperienced team

It looks like he is fully immersed in college basketball in Lexington as a player representative at the conference and national levels.

StuBleedsBlue2
05-05-2021, 03:45 PM
Brooks is no doubt the leader of the team. He needs to stay.

Reading his bio, he and Grady are going to work together really well off the floor. I bet that translates to the floor as well.

Also reading his bio, that's going to rub some folks the wrong way when the team kneels again and will be even more vocal in social justice.

catmanjack
05-05-2021, 03:54 PM
I just hope he focuses on the year ahead and develops himself into the NBA player he wants.

DanISSELisdaman
05-05-2021, 04:10 PM
If he plans on starting that kneeling garbage again, I hope he does it in China or somewhere far from here. He was the ringleader last year IMO. I doubt it would have ever happened without him. Cal needs to tell him if he's coming back to Ky, to come to play ball and if not, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I lost a lot of respect for Cal last year when he went along with them. That was not a positive thing for UK BB and it's never a positive thing, because it only causes more division. I say play ball or go home.

Darryl
05-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Brooks is no doubt the leader of the team. He needs to stay.

Reading his bio, he and Grady are going to work together really well off the floor. I bet that translates to the floor as well.

Also reading his bio, that's going to rub some folks the wrong way when the team kneels again and will be even more vocal in social justice.

I know you are hoping that happens; but it will destroy the team and the rapport with the fans.

I sincerely hope Calipari tells Brooks if he is even thinking about doing that, get your ass out of town.

Darryl

bigsky
05-05-2021, 04:48 PM
This is from his UK bio. https://ukathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/keion-brooks-jr-/8479

It looks like he is fully immersed in college basketball in Lexington as a player representative at the conference and national levels.

He and the one acc transfer (Grady?) sound quite compatible

StuBleedsBlue2
05-05-2021, 04:59 PM
If he plans on starting that kneeling garbage again, I hope he does it in China or somewhere far from here. He was the ringleader last year IMO. I doubt it would have ever happened without him. Cal needs to tell him if he's coming back to Ky, to come to play ball and if not, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I lost a lot of respect for Cal last year when he went along with them. That was not a positive thing for UK BB and it's never a positive thing, because it only causes more division. I say play ball or go home.

You have the wrong sports administration because that is not who Cal and staff is and it is not who Stoops and staff is. In fact, Stoops may actually be MORE progressive than Cal by him marching hand in hand decked in BLM apparel.

I know you are hoping that happens; but it will destroy the team and the rapport with the fans.

I sincerely hope Calipari tells Brooks if he is even thinking about doing that, get your ass out of town.

Darryl

I am not "hoping" for anything. I just support them when they do it. I have no skin in the game one way or the other. Personally, I wish they'd take the anthem out of all sports, the flyovers and any militarization of sports. We don't do it for anything else. Just because I oppose it, I don't feel the need to act like an idiot. I just keep my opinions limited to where they have no impact.

Frankly, I just find it embarrassing how some people choose to react to it, by reaching out directly to the players, the recruits and their families.

I've said this many times, I just hope people can show some restraint. I'm not holding my breathe on that, just like I am not holding my breathe on continued social justice campaigns by players and coaches. I just think folks are going to have to make a decision as to whether they are going to accept it as normal or just move on.

KeithKSR
05-05-2021, 06:00 PM
There is a reason the Florida game was the one and only time the team kneeled for the anthem. I doubt we see it at all next season. When it comes to getting a message out the peaceful marches were a lot more effective.

MickintheHam
05-05-2021, 06:05 PM
If he stays he has to find a way to crack the starting lineup

KeithKSR
05-05-2021, 06:26 PM
If he stays he has to find a way to crack the starting lineup

His best shot is at the four. Grady is looking like the starting three.

StuBleedsBlue2
05-05-2021, 06:45 PM
There is a reason the Florida game was the one and only time the team kneeled for the anthem. I doubt we see it at all next season. When it comes to getting a message out the peaceful marches were a lot more effective.

You may be right that there may not be more kneeling, but I’m not sure how you are measuring effectiveness.

catmanjack
05-05-2021, 06:57 PM
Those who support the founder and BLM are just completely lost!

CitizenBBN
05-05-2021, 07:06 PM
You may be right that there may not be more kneeling, but I’m not sure how you are measuring effectiveness.

It would be nice if we measured it as MLK measured it, in the changing of hearts and minds through understanding and real equality. I fear that it is measured currently more as Malcolm X would have measured it, in terms of division and fear and painting "them" as the enemy, whoever "they" happen to be.

StuBleedsBlue2
05-05-2021, 07:28 PM
It would be nice if we measured it as MLK measured it, in the changing of hearts and minds through understanding and real equality. I fear that it is measured currently more as Malcolm X would have measured it, in terms of division and fear and painting "them" as the enemy, whoever "they" happen to be.

Doesn’t answer the question, but since you made this point, I will counter that virtually all the messages, the methods of protest are a plea to listen, to understand, to ask for equality.

Unfortunately, too many people think that these actions are all about painting people as enemies and are fearful that they are taking something away from them in their search for equality.

People want to be united in the quest for equality. Obviously not everyone, but most people do.

I’m just going to keep asking people who say inclusion needs to be a two-way street and how “woke” people are the ones that are not inclusive, what is it that you want to be included?

I know what one side is looking for, but I haven’t put my finger on what the other side wants. The way things are or have been is not sufficient.

KeithKSR
05-05-2021, 07:54 PM

The kneeling was a total disaster, and was quickly abandoned. All the publicity from the act was negative. I am sure boosters told Mitch how they felt about it.

KeithKSR
05-05-2021, 08:01 PM
Doesn’t answer the question, but since you made this point, I will counter that virtually all the messages, the methods of protest are a plea to listen, to understand, to ask for equality.

Unfortunately, too many people think that these actions are all about painting people as enemies and are fearful that they are taking something away from them in their search for equality.

People want to be united in the quest for equality. Obviously not everyone, but most people do.

I’m just going to keep asking people who say inclusion needs to be a two-way street and how “woke” people are the ones that are not inclusive, what is it that you want to be included?

I know what one side is looking for, but I haven’t put my finger on what the other side wants. The way things are or have been is not sufficient.

You seem not to realize that there are two completely different movements afoot. One is the search for equality, the other is the desire for division. The Black Lives Matter movement and the BLM organization have far different goals.

StuBleedsBlue2
05-05-2021, 08:53 PM
You seem not to realize that there are two completely different movements afoot. One is the search for equality, the other is the desire for division. The Black Lives Matter movement and the BLM organization have far different goals.

Tell that to the people that lump them together.

catmanjack
05-05-2021, 09:44 PM
Most lump them because they support each other.
One is a true pyramid scheme while the other cares.

KeithKSR
05-09-2021, 08:50 AM
Tell that to the people that lump them together.

I did.