PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Summer Vacation Plans

dan_bgblue
05-04-2021, 01:21 PM
Are you, and maybe your family set for an after Covid19 party somewhere that is not taking place at your house?

I do not get a ballot in our annual family unit vote for where we will go in the summer so I am just along for the ride and the use of a credit card. Our choices generally boil down to DA BEACH, Tennessee or North Carolina mountains, or a week of culture, learning, smog, over priced food and accommodations in New York, Chicago, DC, etc.

Are you involved on a summertime trip with the family or a trip with friends?

blueboss
05-04-2021, 01:39 PM
As we speak, me and the Mrs. are heading to FL (see welcome to Bham thread). We’ll be south of Destin for the next two weeks. Gson and DIL joining us for several days, looking forward to surf fishing w/ gson (11 y/o), if we ever make it out of Bham alive....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSRBEvans
05-04-2021, 01:54 PM
Mrs. BEvans and I are going to central Florida for 10 days around Memorial Day. This was a trip we had planned for last May but we pushed it a year.

Darrell KSR
05-04-2021, 02:12 PM
Will take a week moving daughter to either New York or Minnesota, depending on job she chooses. Have a trip to New Orleans. Will likely go visit daughter at her job (she's an entertainer at an amusement park) for another week. Will try to visit daughter and son in law in Cincinnati in their new home. Will spend a few days in Jackson looking over off campus housing for son and housemates before school starts. Oh, and I will have another eye surgery in mid June that will slow me down for awhile too, more of a staycation.

That's "vacation" this year. More time taken off this summer than I have ever taken, less "vacation" than ever lol.

KentuckyWildcat
05-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Just got back from Disney. Doubt we go any place this summer. Carrying more debt than I care for right now and we need to get that paid down.

BigBluePappy
05-04-2021, 06:11 PM
Grammy & I and the two older great grandsons are Leaving May 10 to go to Miami to meet my latest great grandchild, little Miss Rosalia Maria, born on April 15th.
This has been panned for a while and goodness knows we are looking forward to it.
Have already told the grandson there will be no crowds or any foolishness like that...

Doc
05-04-2021, 06:21 PM
Two trips

1) Palm Springs CA for a golf outing. Week of the 4th of July. Just me and my wife. Other than golf, not sure what the plans are

2) Anchorage Alaska for 10 days the first week of August. Taking the 2 kids and my folks. We have a day kayak out of Homer planned as well as a Kenali river raft and some white water rafting at sixmile creek. Also have the glacier train to Seeard where we will take a day cruise to the glacier for that experience.

suncat05
05-04-2021, 06:48 PM
Well, I'm retired, so essentially, I'm on vacation all day every day.
Even though the Boss keeps me busy doing stuff, most of which is actually 'optional', but I go ahead and do most of it anyway so I don't have to listen to her complain.
And I already live in Florida, so I don't care all that much about going anywhere else, unless it's to visit family in the Philippines and Australia.
LIFE IS GOOD! 😎

blueboss
05-04-2021, 06:54 PM
Currently holed up in Andalusia AL waiting for another round of potentially dangerous weather.

If you’re ever in Andalusia AL, Big Mike’s Steak House... you’re welcome. (There’s one in Orange Beach AL. too)

If we survive the night we’ll be at the beach tomorrow.

catmanjack
05-04-2021, 08:55 PM
Definitely like to see and get updates on the Alaska trip.
Travel details and daily activities.

Two trips

1) Palm Springs CA for a golf outing. Week of the 4th of July. Just me and my wife. Other than golf, not sure what the plans are

2) Anchorage Alaska for 10 days the first week of August. Taking the 2 kids and my folks. We have a day kayak out of Homer planned as well as a Kenali river raft and some white water rafting at sixmile creek. Also have the glacier train to Seeard where we will take a day cruise to the glacier for that experience.

dan_bgblue
05-04-2021, 08:55 PM
Good luck boss!!!

catmanjack
05-04-2021, 08:56 PM
Trying to decide myself where to go and what to do.

Wife mentioned New Orleans a time or two.
Myself I want to visit the Grand Canyon.

CitizenBBN
05-04-2021, 11:14 PM
All I want to do is draw the blinds and turn off the phone for a week or two. If anyone asks I'm in Tibet.

Padukacat
05-04-2021, 11:15 PM
Trying to fit one in around basketball which will take us atl and Chicago which is nice. Likely end up around Hilton head for a week. We have a trip to Germany booked pre covid and guessing that Happens in the fall

IkeCat
05-05-2021, 02:45 AM
No definite plans, but would like to go somewhere far, far away (or closer) and stay a long, long time (long, long time TBD).

KSRBEvans
05-05-2021, 04:31 AM
All I want to do is draw the blinds and turn off the phone for a week or two. If anyone asks I'm in Tibet.

They're not doing them right now, but that's one of the underrated aspects of a cruise. You've got a built in excuse for being unavailable.

TNCat
05-05-2021, 09:16 AM
Alaska fly fishing trip in July

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
05-05-2021, 11:37 AM
They're not doing them right now, but that's one of the underrated aspects of a cruise. You've got a built in excuse for being unavailable.

Good point.

OK, I'm on a cruise for the next two weeks. Nevermind the constant door dash deliveries to my house.

MickintheHam
05-06-2021, 07:29 AM
Every year I take the family to the beach. We have a place in Grayton Beach for a couple of weeks. This year we will be staying a couple of doors away from a former poster at KSR and his family. We have tailgated at football games and gone to the SEC tournament together for years. That's something we have missed during Covid. It should be a great tim

I hope to get to the South Carolina football game later this year and take some time to drive over to the coast to see where my ancestors first came to America.

VirginiaCat
05-06-2021, 01:58 PM
We never really stopped traveling except where we were not allowed. We will be in Maine for 4 nights in August ending then with 5 nights in Boston.

CitizenBBN
05-06-2021, 02:58 PM
We never really stopped traveling except where we were not allowed. We will be in Maine for 4 nights in August ending then with 5 nights in Boston.

Surely the mob guys have stopped looking for you by now.

catmanjack
05-06-2021, 06:46 PM
Mind if I ask where you go in Maine?
Activities?

dan_bgblue
05-07-2021, 07:45 AM
Bah Habah?

Darrell KSR
05-07-2021, 09:57 AM
Trying to decide myself where to go and what to do.

Wife mentioned New Orleans a time or two.
Myself I want to visit the Grand Canyon.

I'd go to New Orleans any time, but a lot of people avoid it during the summer because it is certainly hot and muggy. That doesn't bother me; I lived there five years and was out in it every day during that time, and hot weather and I agree with each other, but it does infringe upon the enjoyment of some (with good reason, I concede).

Will be in New Orleans end of May/first of June myself for a short trip; wife will be there longer. MIL and FIL will be celebrating their 90th birthdays, and all their children and spouses will be there to celebrate and go out to dinner. MIL isn't doing great (she's not doing awful, either), and wife wants to spend extra time with her, so she'll stay a couple more weeks. But she's used to the heat, having grown up in New Orleans. And June heat/humidity ain't late July/August heat and humidity.

Catonahottinroof
05-07-2021, 10:25 AM
My wife and I discussed that trip this summer. She asked for some good reasons to go to the Big Easy.
My response, “seafood gumbo” lol
I'd go to New Orleans any time, but a lot of people avoid it during the summer because it is certainly hot and muggy. That doesn't bother me; I lived there five years and was out in it every day during that time, and hot weather and I agree with each other, but it does infringe upon the enjoyment of some (with good reason, I concede).

Will be in New Orleans end of May/first of June myself for a short trip; wife will be there longer. MIL and FIL will be celebrating their 90th birthdays, and all their children and spouses will be there to celebrate and go out to dinner. MIL isn't doing great (she's not doing awful, either), and wife wants to spend extra time with her, so she'll stay a couple more weeks. But she's used to the heat, having grown up in New Orleans. And June heat/humidity ain't late July/August heat and humidity.

Darrell KSR
05-07-2021, 10:47 AM
My wife and I discussed that trip this summer. She asked for some good reasons to go to the Big Easy.
My response, “seafood gumbo” lol

Alabama Allergy and Asthma says I am allergic to....
Shrimp, crawfish, crab, lobster, oysters, clams....well, you get the drift.

I had to move out of the city.

Your reason is a GREAT reason. For you lol.

I always chuckle when someone asks for a great place to eat in New Orleans. It's hard to find a not-great place. And there are so many great places that are hole in the walls you could eat at a different one every day and not repeat.

I loved seafood gumbo before I became allergic to it (believe it or not, it developed over time). But my favorite was crawfish etoufee. Oh my gosh. I carry two epi-pens, and I keep thinking, "maybe it's worth it" lol.

KSRBEvans
05-07-2021, 11:42 AM
I went to NOLA once about 6 years ago and Mrs. BEvans and I definitely need to go again. We saw a lot and we know there's a lot more to see.

PedroDaGr8
05-07-2021, 12:10 PM
We just did a trip to Florida (as mentioned in the other thread) and had a great time. We landed in Tampa and immediately went to Alligator Point. From there we went down to Key West along the Gulf then back up the Atlantic Coast to Cape Canaveral Area. Finally heading back to Tampa for our flight out. We are still trying to figure out what else we will do this year (maybe KY in September or October).

For those that like nature/camping/hiking, may I suggest the Pacific Northwest?! The PNW is absolutely STUNNING during summertime; it is our sunny dry season but the rain from the rest of the year keeps everything nice and green (at least west of the cascades, east of the cascades is a desert). Seattle is a great place to fly into and see for a day or two but I don't recommend staying in Seattle for long (or at all). That being said, Seattle is a great stop-off point for some utterly amazing locations due to geographic location. Sandwiched between the Olympics, the Cascades, and the Puget Sound, the natural scenery here rivals some of the best in the world and much of it is a few hours drive away AT MOST. Below is a collage of a few photos my unskilled self took to give you a small idea of the scenery here:

bigsky
05-08-2021, 07:42 PM
likely spending a month in houston

catmanjack
05-08-2021, 10:22 PM
Had crawfish etoufee tonight, a friend from Birmingham was in town tonight and cook up some, it was very good as my heart burn is letting me know right now!

Alabama Allergy and Asthma says I am allergic to....
Shrimp, crawfish, crab, lobster, oysters, clams....well, you get the drift.

I had to move out of the city.

Your reason is a GREAT reason. For you lol.

I always chuckle when someone asks for a great place to eat in New Orleans. It's hard to find a not-great place. And there are so many great places that are hole in the walls you could eat at a different one every day and not repeat.

I loved seafood gumbo before I became allergic to it (believe it or not, it developed over time). But my favorite was crawfish etoufee. Oh my gosh. I carry two epi-pens, and I keep thinking, "maybe it's worth it" lol.

catmanjack
05-08-2021, 10:25 PM
I will take a small 3-4 day trip to Chicago to pick up my step son from Northwestern.
Will probably stay in Evanston and take the train into Chicago, might take in a white Sox’s game.

VirginiaCat
05-09-2021, 07:44 AM
Multnomha Falls was one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever done. Strenuous 45 minutes to top but the views and the chilled stream to cool off in. Also love Cable Beach

CitizenBBN
05-09-2021, 05:23 PM
I will take a small 3-4 day trip to Chicago to pick up my step son from Northwestern.
Will probably stay in Evanston and take the train into Chicago, might take in a white Sox’s game.

I like Evanston, and Northwestern. Nice campus. spent a summer there. Also several weekends for tournaments around Thanksgiving, and it was already dang cold and icy.

This is a much better time to visit, lol.

Used to be a good tapas place in Evanston, like one street over from the Orrington Hotel. Don't remember the name. weird town though with some of the rules, like the rules to try to keep fast food out of the town.

Doc
05-09-2021, 05:43 PM
Definitely like to see and get updates on the Alaska trip.
Travel details and daily activities.

Looks like we are doing this

https://www.alaska.org/detail/alaska-bear-adventures

catmanjack
05-09-2021, 10:25 PM
Looks very interesting, wear your running shoes!

Doc
05-11-2021, 06:29 AM
We have a few things planned. Going kayaking in Kachemak bay, the bear trip, train across Seward glacier followed by a day cruise up to the glacier. Plan on some white water rafting as well

BigBluePappy
05-11-2021, 08:26 AM
The Culhanes are at South Beach. Toto, I don't believe we are in Kansas anymore...

PedroDaGr8
05-11-2021, 09:48 AM
Multnomha Falls was one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever done. Strenuous 45 minutes to top but the views and the chilled stream to cool off in.

We are compiling some of the hikes we will do this summer. It looks to be only about 3 hours from us, I will have to put that one on my list!

blueboss
05-11-2021, 02:30 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210511/3a12bbfeb1cd2a7322169d8efef83220.jpg
Little piece of weather moving in this afternoon. I like a good storm coming in off the ocean/gulf.

KSRBEvans
05-12-2021, 08:56 AM
Starting to feel a little less sanguine about our road trip to Florida next week, given the current gas situation. Hopefully the panic buying will have cooled off by then.

MickintheHam
05-13-2021, 01:46 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210511/3a12bbfeb1cd2a7322169d8efef83220.jpg
Little piece of weather moving in this afternoon. I like a good storm coming in off the ocean/gulf.

I always hate to see people on the beach with storms moving in like that. Lightning is a real danger and nowhere is it more dangerous than on the beach. It can travel long distances across water and many of the strikes come with no warning. Most tourists have no sense of what can happen.

Doc
05-13-2021, 12:27 PM
I always hate to see people on the beach with storms moving in like that. Lightning is a real danger and nowhere is it more dangerous than on the beach. It can travel long distances across water and many of the strikes come with no warning. Most tourists have no sense of what can happen.

I always wondered about this. So if I'm in the water in FL, and lightening hits the ocean in GA, will I get shocked?

blueboss
05-13-2021, 06:00 PM
I always wondered about this. So if I'm in the water in FL, and lightening hits the ocean in GA, will I get shocked?

My DIL told me she found something on line that stated 30 meters diameter around a lightening strike.

Doc
05-13-2021, 08:19 PM
Our Alaska plans coming along. Booked a river raft down Kenai river for day 1, seaplane/bear expedition for day 2, ocean kayaks for day 3. Looking at white water rafting on day 4 (class IV). Days 5,6 and 7 are open as of now. Then glacier train and cruise on 8 & 9.

CitizenBBN
05-13-2021, 08:29 PM
My DIL told me she found something on line that stated 30 meters diameter around a lightening strike.

It's less if you are wearing a mask. ;)

dan_bgblue
05-15-2021, 08:30 AM
Looking at white water rafting on day 4 (class IV).

Note to Doc. Wear wet suits. The water in those rivers is a wee bit chilly, like it was an ice cube yesterday.

blueboss
05-15-2021, 02:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210515/062614bf962bd30d66a8dd818bb1ac3c.jpg
So long to my little slice...

dan_bgblue
05-15-2021, 03:53 PM
So let me guess. You call that fishing?

catmanjack
05-15-2021, 09:59 PM
Did you catch anything?

blueboss
05-15-2021, 10:24 PM
So let me guess. You call that fishing?

More specifically, “surf fishing”.

blueboss
05-15-2021, 10:32 PM
Did you catch anything?

I/we did, my 11 year old grandson joined me for a few days. He hooked and landed his first fish in the surf... a nice 2.5-3lb whiting. We/he caught several more around the same size, also a few croakers 8-12”... I was a little disappointed, we didn’t have any luck with pompano.

Darrell KSR
05-15-2021, 10:50 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210515/062614bf962bd30d66a8dd818bb1ac3c.jpg
So long to my little slice...

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhat's the general idea behind that type of fishing?

What bait do you use? Anything in particular you are doing to secure the rods in the sand? Are those rods and other equipment your tackle, or are you renting it somewhere? What do you normally catch, and do you catch enough to clean and eat (sometimes?)

Forgive me for the stupid questions. I haven't fished in years and years.

catmanjack
05-15-2021, 11:20 PM
I was wondering the same things, go to the beach but never fish.

blueboss
05-16-2021, 12:38 AM
What's the general idea behind that type of fishing?

What bait do you use? Anything in particular you are doing to secure the rods in the sand? Are those rods and other equipment your tackle, or are you renting it somewhere? What do you normally catch, and do you catch enough to clean and eat (sometimes?)

Forgive me for the stupid questions. I haven't fished in years and years.

So, first of all, all the equipment is my own. I use 8’-10’ rods with a larger spinning reel and 15-20 lb. line. The rod holders are basically PVC pipes with one end tapered to jam down in the sand, the other end is flared to slide the rod down in and hold them upright. I use a pompano rig, which is a double hook rig with a clip for a weight at the end. The size of the weight is dependent on how rough the surf is. In the photo you can see a light surf, I was using 2, and 3 oz weights.

For bait, there are a variety of preferred baits, mostly for pompano I use sand fleas that can be harvested in the surf. Having said that I have caught pompano, whiting, brown speckled trout, sheepshead, red fish, sharks, lady fish, sailcats, bluefish, all on fleas, I’ve even caught a couple of puffer fish on them as well. I’ve also caught most of the above on shrimp, clams, squid, and synthetic baits called “fish bites”, all widely available at any coastal bait and tackle.

As for the idea behind surf fishing, pompano, and whiting are some of the best seafood you’ll ever eat. Both are white meat that are sweet and flaky, with no fishy/gamey taste. Shark, is very good as well, along with sheepshead, and brown trout. As for some of the others, some folks eat blues, and redfish, I personally don’t care for them, the others make good cut bait. For me I generally catch and release because I basically don’t like cleaning fish, and it’s just good sport. I’ve hooked some 25-30 lb fish, and battled some pretty hefty stingrays, all released.

It’s like any kind of fishing, there are good days and bad, but I’ve always been pretty lucky and always manage to catch fish. Surf fishing also gives me something to do rather than just sit or walk while at the beach. Go to any coastal bait and tackle shops, they’ll tell you what’s running and what to use for bait. You can spend as much, or as little as you want on equipment, but you can get a pretty decent set up for around $200. I talked to a guy the other day that rented a rig for $300, one of my rigs is a $250 reel w/ a $100 rod, but you can get them for a lot less. All in all, it’s a pretty inexpensive way to catch fish, after you buy your rod/reel.

Doc
05-16-2021, 02:32 AM
Not sure if this fits but......

We just arrived in CO on our 31 hrs trek. Gas and food stops only. Anyway, driving up the road at 1:00am here and a mamma moose and baby moose strolling down the road, not a care in the world

KentuckyWildcat
05-16-2021, 08:21 AM
I like a good storm coming in off the ocean/gulf.

Same here! But to Mick's point, I like them best from your view :)

Doc
05-16-2021, 10:14 AM
Same here! But to Mick's point, I like them best from your view :)

Me too as far as storms. We get them.all the time. Heck, I even enjoy a cat 1 or 2 hurricane every now and then

dan_bgblue
05-16-2021, 10:32 AM
boss, what does the out of state fishing permit cost per person for FL and AL and are there limits on kept fish?

blueboss
05-16-2021, 11:24 AM
boss, what does the out of state fishing permit cost per person for FL and AL and are there limits on kept fish?

$17-3 day, $30-7 day, $47- annual... different fish different limits, I think pompano which is one I’ll keep from time to time is 12” minimum, and six limit/day.

catmanjack
05-16-2021, 11:44 AM
Was just wondering if you made it.
Glad to hear.

Not sure if this fits but......

We just arrived in CO on our 31 hrs trek. Gas and food stops only. Anyway, driving up the road at 1:00am here and a mamma moose and baby moose strolling down the road, not a care in the world

dan_bgblue
05-16-2021, 12:10 PM
$17-3 day, $30-7 day, $47- annual... different fish different limits, I think pompano which is one I’ll keep from time to time is 12” minimum, and six limit/day.

Thx. Factoring in the fun element of the catch, the cost per pound is not prohibitive if you know how to catch them. I am not much on the catch and release plan unless I catch something that is a bit rare in the creek, river, or lake. If I catch it I plan on eating it if it is fit to eat.