PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a "Game camera" in backyard just to see what animals might be around?

Darrell KSR
02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Although I live in a normal suburban kinda area, my neighborhood is across the street from a state park, and I have seen deer, a coyote (thanks to this group for helping me identify), my son and my next door neighbor have seen foxes, etc. I know you hunters use Game cameras frequently for entertainment and scouting purposes, and was wondering if anyone just stuck one in their back yard for the fun of it?

And for those that own it--would a low-end one work ok? I know some products like this, and you have to get a higher end one for it to work. And if I were using it for my sport, I'd certainly want a very good one, but this is different. Just for entertainment--and realizing maybe I see most of the animals anyway--would you recommend a lower-end camera, and if so, which one(s), model(s), or brand(s)? Any particular feature that should be a "must have?"

jazyd
02-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Darrell

I have 7 I use, LOL, used to always buy Moultrie's but their displays quit too often. Now I use Bushnells and they have various price points and all are good. I wouldn't go for the real high end for what you want but he cheap ones stay away from, don't get a good picture and they have trouble.

Get a 4GB or 2 GB card, works well and you don't need more than that. The Bushnells also use the AA batteries versus the bigger ones which I like. You can set them for video or still shots. Videos are kinda neat.