PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate (or think are weird) that most people like

Darrell KSR
02-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Coconut.

Love the flavor, hate the texture. I try it about once every five years and it continues to confirm my icky feeling when I taste it. Like eating pine straw. Yech.

Catfan73
02-01-2013, 02:25 PM
The coconut that comes in a bag in the bakery section of the supermarket is pretty good--it's pre-sweetened. Straight out of a coconut though isn't very palatable imo, and neither is coconut milk.

Darrell, this would be a good place to put the McRib. Pretty weird looking thing if you actually take a good look.

elicat
02-02-2013, 02:06 PM
I have never eaten a McRib and never will. Pork belly, tongue, and heart, held together and disguised with a long list of things that are not food. Everything except actual rib meat. Blech.

As for my own idea, I have never enjoyed most of the music of the Beatles. I'm glad they came along and fully understand their cultural importance and their formative influence on practically everything that came after. But just to put them on and listen to them for pleasure? Usually not for me.

Catfan73
02-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Snakes as pets. What's the point?

CitizenBBN
02-02-2013, 09:45 PM
A bunch of stuff. I have weird taste.

A few:

"A Christmas Story". I find it beyond tedious.

"Seinfeld". It's not a "show about nothing".

"Friends". Do they ever go to that coffee house and the best seats are taken?

Eggs. I like them scrambled OK or with lots of veggies etc. and will have a dressed/boiled one here and there, but in general I don't like them. Try ordering breakfast at Cracker Barrel without getting eggs.

ladycat92
02-02-2013, 09:51 PM
+Coconut. Loathe it. Hate the taste, hate the texture.
+Snakes of any kind, pets or otherwise.
+Ketchup. I really do not like it. Too sweet.
+Add me to the Seinfeld and Friends group. Didn't think they were that great.
+iPhone - ok, maybe I don't hate it, but I don't get the obsession. OMGZ, it's an Apple! I love my MacBook air but the whole iphone obsession is just stupid.
+Regular yogurt - I can't eat it. It's a texture thing, but it severely invokes my gag reflex.
+Country music - just not for me

ColonelSteve
02-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Well I guess anymore it's talking on the phone while driving...screw that

BarristerCat
02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Onions. I freaking despise the things. I loathe the smell and taste of them more than words can ever possibly convey. I can only assume that everyone else loves them because every restaurant I go to tries their damnedest to put the foul things all over my food. Onions, from hell's heart I stab at thee.

Also, glitter. The guy who invented glitter should be shot into the Sun on a very pointy rocket.

Lfbj00
02-03-2013, 05:14 AM
I was gonna post this in the other thread for my wife as a like, but now I can post MY feelings.....CHOCOLATE GRAVY!!!

What in the hell is this concoction, and who likes it besides my wife, her mother, and now, my kids. Some kind of runny, brown substance, that my mother-in-law makes homemade. One of the first things she taught my wife to make, and I've had to watch her eat it for 15+ years now, poured over homemade biscuits. It just grosses me out!!

ladycat92
02-03-2013, 07:42 AM
You shut your dirty whore mouth. Chocolate gravy is delicious. :party0035:

I was gonna post this in the other thread for my wife as a like, but now I can post MY feelings.....CHOCOLATE GRAVY!!!

What in the hell is this concoction, and who likes it besides my wife, her mother, and now, my kids. Some kind of runny, brown substance, that my mother-in-law makes homemade. One of the first things she taught my wife to make, and I've had to watch her eat it for 15+ years now, poured over homemade biscuits. It just grosses me out!!

bigsky
02-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Well I don't know, but I'm weird. Seinfeld, Friends, Ben Stiller all top the list of "I don't get it".

On the food side, hmm, now? I hate buffets, pot lucks, and salad bars. I envision them crawling with bugs. I once went out to an audit, right before Christmas, and partook in their Christmas party potluck by eating some breadsticks and a fun bar sized almond joy (because chocolate and coconut mmmm). Got grief for it from the in charge for not being more social. Then we were off the audit a week over Christmas. Came back and >half the company's staff we were auditing had hepatitis a from some little sandwich shop down the street. Yeah, talk about increasing my paranoia.

Now I learn green leafy is #1 for food disease. I'm a freak about it the whole warm soup serve yourself, bowl of well fingered nuts, even menus.

Sam 'n Ella's diner is the #1 franchise in America.

Lfbj00
02-03-2013, 04:04 PM
You shut your dirty whore mouth. Chocolate gravy is delicious. :party0035:

Ladycat, my wife says to tell you....AMEN!!!!!

(still don't think you classify it as a food)

Darrell KSR
02-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Chocolate gravy....oh, man. That stuff is like crack it's so good.

I still prefer mine almost "lumpy" when it can be made that way, but my wife makes it thin, which is how my Mom used to make it. My grandmother made it lumpy and thick--it wasn't like the time my wife first tried to learn how to make it, and crystallized the sugar, where the chocolate gravy "crunched"--just thicker, and substantive.

But I like it regardless of consistency. Can pour those babies over biscuits, and I can go to town. I only have that maybe once a year or so now; but may have to increase that as a treat on my "cheat day" on my diet. I don't know what kind of calories it has, but it may not be too bad in moderation, or at least, on cheat day.

BarristerCat
02-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Chocolate gravy is good, but I'd take good sausage gravy over it. I'd take good meal gravy over either one.

Along those lines, another thing that I hate that most people seem to like: chunks of sausage IN the gravy. I have no idea how everybody in the world came to doing it that way, but the best country cooks will tell you that the grease is what gives the gravy flavor. If you're using meat to flavor it, you're doing it wrong. That's why restaurant gravy usually tastes like wallpaper paste. I'm looking at you, Cracker Barrel.

dan_bgblue
02-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Hate = H Weird = W

H. Those stupid looking blue tooth earpieces. H. Camera phones. W. Thong briefs (sorry Doc). H. Flip flops. H. Pecan Pie ( I love lots of different pies, but not ones with nuts) H. Award shows (Grammy, Oscar, etc) H. Light beer (every freaking one of them) W. Mall Santas. H. Vacations to the beach (every freaking one of them) W. Grilled corn on the cob (why do that to perfectly good corn) H. Wal Mart

I think I will stop now before I ruin my evening

blueboss
02-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Not a fan of hot tubs, they're like massive germ incubators.

CitizenBBN
02-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Dan -- I recall your dislike of beach vacations. Have to say we're for sure opposites on that one. As you know I'd move to one and leave.

PedroDaGr8
02-07-2013, 01:04 AM
+Coconut. Loathe it. Hate the taste, hate the texture.
+Regular yogurt - I can't eat it. It's a texture thing, but it severely invokes my gag reflex.
+Country music - just not for me

I'm the same way with Jello. Something about the feeling as you swallow it makes me gag.

Also, country music for me too. The only stuff I seem to be able to enjoy appears to come from the 1950s or earlier (is it even called country music then?)

Lastly, raw tomatos. There is a flavor in uncooked tomatos that immediately makes me gag. I've tried dozens of times and its without fail. If its raw, I will gag. I can actually taste the flavor going away the longer they cook. LOL

chroix
02-07-2013, 07:46 AM
iphones

CitizenBBN
02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Pedro -- one of my very favorite things in the world is a real, home grown tomato. Not those mushy white things they sell in the stores that are to tomatoes what water is to cream, but real ones. Make a full meal out of one or two.

I'm very dedicated to them. I peel them, just salt (every wild hair I'll have cottage cheese with one). Now with the heirlooms coming back it's even better, but it's still surprisingly hard to get a proper tomato even at the Farmer's market.

One thing I miss about my farm past is a good garden.

dethbylt
02-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Hate = H Weird = W

H. Those stupid looking blue tooth earpieces. H. Camera phones. W. Thong briefs (sorry Doc). H. Flip flops. H. Pecan Pie ( I love lots of different pies, but not ones with nuts) H. Award shows (Grammy, Oscar, etc) H. Light beer (every freaking one of them) W. Mall Santas. H. Vacations to the beach (every freaking one of them) W. Grilled corn on the cob (why do that to perfectly good corn) H. Wal Mart

I think I will stop now before I ruin my evening

Oh. My. Gosh. You and I could have been friends if not for this. :confused0053:

dethbylt
02-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Hate: Honey Boo Boo and her mama's three chins (on TV). She is a nice enough lady I suppose, but the show glamourizes trailer trash. Cannot stand it.

dethbylt
02-07-2013, 11:37 AM
This emoticon, because it makes me look like I used up a lot of space on purpose (twice): :confused0053:

dan_bgblue
02-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Oh. My. Gosh. You and I could have been friends if not for this. :confused0053:

Yeah, my whole family, including cousins and their wives and husbands and all my in laws think I am as weird as can be because I don't love fun in the sun and sand in my shorts.

I have managed to accept being a social outcast.

Darrell KSR
02-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Beach at Sandestin = no
Beach at Santa Rosa Beach = yes
Beach at Panama City = no
Beach at Pensacola Beach (non-touristy areas) = yes

And so on.

One I dislike.
One I like.

Crazy4Blue
02-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Orange Juice - hate it!
Strong Lemonade - has to be watered down
Reba McIntyre - I just don't get it
The East side of Florida - why when you have the crystal clear waters of the panhandle (Thanks Darrell for the Santa Rosa tips, this will be our 3rd yr in a row)
Tomatoes - gag
The Big Bang Theory - Nerd Herd show

Catfan73
02-08-2013, 06:42 PM
margaritas
cake icing
sweet chili or "Cincinnati style" with cinnamon
pants worn 6" too low. . . well, that one probably isn't liked by most people, but it certainly is weird imo.

Darrell KSR
02-08-2013, 06:53 PM
The East side of Florida - why when you have the crystal clear waters of the panhandle (Thanks Darrell for the Santa Rosa tips, this will be our 3rd yr in a row)

Glad you enjoy it. I think it's a terrific place, too.

PedroDaGr8
02-09-2013, 04:59 PM
cake icing

God me too. I HATE HATE HATE most cake icing. It's freaking disgustingly oversweet and I'm someone with a sweet tooth. A couple years ago I got to try a cake from a Filipino bakery chain. The cake was delicious, it wasn't nearly as sweet and has some great flavor.

Lfbj00
02-11-2013, 07:08 AM
pants worn 6" too low. . . .

THIS MAKES ME VIOLENT!!!

Quick story...My partner at work was out in his garage working on his Harley with his nephew, who is in his mid-teens. Tom turned around and his nephew's pants were hanging off his backside...again!! Needless to say, Tom is not a big fan either, so he asked him to come help him on something. When he got over to him, Tom grabbed the back of his pants by the beltloops that were 2 loops apart, and slid a industrial zip-tie into them and pulled it shut!! The boy about had a heart attack, but he's wore a belt around Uncle Tom ever since!!