PDA

View Full Version : Colonel Sanders Died 40 Years Ago Today

blueboss
12-16-2020, 04:39 PM
...just a news tidbit I stumbled over today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc
12-16-2020, 04:47 PM
When I was growing up, he lived right around the corner from me (in Hurstbourne). As a kid we would trick-or-treat as his house every year. He always dressed in his "colonel" outfit.

BigBluePappy
12-16-2020, 05:04 PM
Ran into him in one of his stores. Used to be on old Preston Highway. I literally ran into him, looked up and saw him smiling down on me, he tousled my hair and went on his way...1965 or 1966 I believe...

catmanjack
12-16-2020, 05:34 PM
Lived in Shelby Co. for many years, believe he died there.

kingcat
12-16-2020, 05:45 PM
I was a big fan of his growing up. Kentucky was not known for for much other than basketball and horses.
The Colonel was right there with those for taking pride in our state.

blueboss
12-16-2020, 05:54 PM
The house I live in was built somewhere between 100 and 120 years ago. The exact date of construction is hazy because it was damaged by a tornado in 1917. Back then the reconstruction date of 1920 was listed on the deed for whatever reason...

...anyway, we were told that Colonel Sanders lived in a house down the street, it was said that the property was unkept,they also had chickens and goats, and it stunk. I think he actually lived there as a teen with a family member after his father died.... so the story goes.

MickintheHam
12-16-2020, 09:22 PM
When I lived in Oldham Co. we would drive over to the Colonel’s Lady Restaurant in Simpsonville. The Colonel would eat all of his evening meals there. We would take our Out of town visitors and almost all were amazed to learn he was a real person. He couldn’t have been nicer.

Doc
12-16-2020, 10:21 PM
When I lived in Oldham Co. we would drive over to the Colonel’s Lady Restaurant in Simpsonville. The Colonel would eat all of his evening meals there. We would take our Out of town visitors and almost all were amazed to learn he was a real person. He couldn’t have been nicer.

Its were we had our wedding rehearsal dinner

CitizenBBN
12-16-2020, 10:35 PM
Met him at the restaurant when I was a kid. He autographed a photo for me. Yes he was exceptionally nice to people.

blueboss
12-17-2020, 02:55 PM
I spent some time with Joe B at Claudia Sanders not too long ago... Lunch with Joe B as we refer to it now.

Darrell KSR
12-17-2020, 03:58 PM
I spent some time with Joe B at Claudia Sanders not too long ago... Lunch with Joe B as we refer to it now.

OT, but it reminds me of going to things like a luncheon with Shaquille O'Neal as a guest speaker. I always tell people "I had lunch with Shaq last week," when that happens.

blueboss
12-17-2020, 04:21 PM
OT, but it reminds me of going to things like a luncheon with Shaquille O'Neal as a guest speaker. I always tell people "I had lunch with Shaq last week," when that happens.

I’m sure I’ve told the story on the boards at least 63 times... but Joe B was at the table next to ours, and after I acknowledged him with some mindless “hey coach, go big blue” or something, he got up and came over to our table, and we chatted for a second, I offered him to have a seat, which he said something like “if you don’t mind” (like, yeah Joe we mind) we chatted for 20-30 minutes.