PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: FDA approves EUA for Pfizer vaccine.

PedroDaGr8
12-11-2020, 08:19 PM
This is important enough it needs its own thread. Shipments will start immediately. On Sunday, CDC-ACIP will vote on the injection protocols. Once approved, injections can start immediately! Our long national nightmare takes its first steps towards being over.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/health/pfizer-vaccine-authorized.html

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

kingcat
12-11-2020, 09:25 PM
https://mashable-evaporation-wordpress.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/07/Anchorman.gif

Darrell KSR
12-11-2020, 10:01 PM
Terrific.

I wish now that they had plenty in hospitals, doctors offices, pharmacist locations, dental offices, nursing schools, medical schools, and other locations to line up everybody and just get it done in about 2 months. But I will take this as a home run, Grand Slam that it is.

blueboss
12-12-2020, 08:02 AM
Great news!! Now for the elephant in the corner. Who’s going to get the shot?

I’m in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
12-12-2020, 10:50 AM

I’m in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I will be on the list for a March or April appointment and I will be camping on the doorstep for a few days in advance. 68 yrs old in a few days i I am lucky, with comorbid conditions, but I am not a first responder, a front line health care worker, nor an important required worker, just a retired old man with scarred lungs and surgically repaired veins.

KentuckyWildcat
12-13-2020, 05:04 PM

I’m in...

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm far enough down the list I may not need it by then lol

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
12-13-2020, 05:06 PM
I'd bribe someone to get it earlier if I could.

KentuckyWildcat
12-13-2020, 06:37 PM
I'd bribe someone to get it earlier if I could.Wife will be eligible early. That will cut our risk down a lot. But I seriously don't expect it anytime soon.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Padukacat
12-14-2020, 06:39 AM
Hoping my antibodies last a while. Pedro do you think this is an every year thing, taking a vaccine?

PedroDaGr8
12-14-2020, 10:30 AM
The duration of immunity from an infection is currently unknown. This is a very complex immunological topic, but the summary is we think immunity lasts for a while but it isn't guaranteed. Either way, it will have little correlation with immunity from the vaccine. The vaccine is likely to convey immunity for years (if not decades), though again we don't know for certain.

The only reasons we need yearly flu vaccine are 1) we haven't succeeded in developing a universal flu vaccine and 2) new strains make the rounds each year.

KSRBEvans
12-14-2020, 11:42 AM
I'd bribe someone to get it earlier if I could.

Yep. I have to confess I have a little vaccine envy as I see people start to get it, but I know they need it a lot worse than I do.

Darrell KSR
12-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Yep. I have to confess I have a little vaccine envy as I see people start to get it, but I know they need it a lot worse than I do.

I'm sorta in the "close, but no cigar" to any category lol.

I'll feel better when my daughter gets it. We are pretty protected otherwise right now. Daughter is very careful, but she is at high risk for exposure (two co-workers on her unit got it in the last two weeks, after months of working with Covid-ICU patients.) (And yes, she's still working on the unit. Just not every day as she was.)

Anyway, my age? Close. Comorbidity? Well, I weigh too much, but otherwise, probably ok. Teacher? Well, in Alabama, it's K-12 in Phase 2 (after Phase 1A and 1B), and college teachers not until Phase 3--even if my teaching part-time qualifies, which it may not.

So I'll probably be in Phase 4. I'm ok with it. But yeah, the envy is real.

KentuckyWildcat
12-14-2020, 04:15 PM
The only reasons we need yearly flu vaccine are 1) we haven't succeeded in developing a universal flu vaccine and 2) new strains make the rounds each year.

My girls pulmonologist told us a few years ago we were close to a flu vaccine that would only require one shot and never need another. Ever heard this?

Padukacat
12-14-2020, 04:46 PM
The duration of immunity from an infection is currently unknown. This is a very complex immunological topic, but the summary is we think immunity lasts for a while but it isn't guaranteed. Either way, it will have little correlation with immunity from the vaccine. The vaccine is likely to convey immunity for years (if not decades), though again we don't know for certain.

Great info, thanks. So is it logical to assume this virus is not one that will morph and come back different in ways similar to the flu? So once everyone is vaccinated it shouldnt show up again, at least not in numbers that would matter. Another question i have that you or others may be able to answer, is there truly any risk in taking any of these vaccines outside of the very small number of people that may have a reaction. I hear a lot of people say they arent touching it like they may grow a third leg (ill take one) but i can't imagine any of the ingredients in a vaccine causing effects that show up down the road. Thanks for answering.

PedroDaGr8
12-14-2020, 05:29 PM
My girls pulmonologist told us a few years ago we were close to a flu vaccine that would only require one shot and never need another. Ever heard this?

Yeah, progress keeps getting made but the timeline keeps shifting out some. I have not heard anything concrete about clinical trials starting. If they can accomplish this, it will be a MAJOR breakthrough in preventing the flu.

Great info, thanks. So is it logical to assume this virus is not one that will morph and come back different in ways similar to the flu? So once everyone is vaccinated it shouldnt show up again, at least not in numbers that would matter. Another question i have that you or others may be able to answer, is there truly any risk in taking any of these vaccines outside of the very small number of people that may have a reaction. I hear a lot of people say they arent touching it like they may grow a third leg (ill take one) but i can't imagine any of the ingredients in a vaccine causing effects that show up down the road. Thanks for answering.

The flu is an anomaly in many ways because it not only inherently mutates rapidly but its genome is designed to allow it to easily recombine with other flu strains. The current virus doesn't mutate nearly as rapidly, nor does it have that other feature.

So far, the majority of the side effects are ones expected with any vaccine: pain/redness at the point of injection, swollen lymph node(s), fatigue, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain, and fever. There were two cases of people having severe allergic reactions, both had previously had anaphylactic reactions and carried epipens. Additionally, there were four cases of Bell's Palsy (asymmetric facial paralysis) in the vaccine cohort. This rate is well within the range expected based on the number of people in the vaccine cohort. That being said, zero cases occurred in the placebo group (which is actually not expected), so the vaccine will be monitored in the coming weeks. Lastly, there were 8 cases of appendicitis in the vaccine cohort and 4 cases in the placebo cohort. There does not appear to be a link to the vaccine but this will also be monitored in the coming weeks to ensure this data is just statistical noise.

Overall, the data shows the vaccine is very safe and extensive monitoring will be in place to determine any adverse effects which were not seen in the clinical trial.

KSRBEvans
12-16-2020, 01:33 PM
FWIW, I saw this first-hand report of someone who received the vaccine today:

I had my vaccine at 0700 EST.

I'll give all the info that I have to try to be helpful. Keep in mind, I work in an ER so steps may be slightly different for the general public, but most of my contact was directly with the CDC so I don't know how much.

First I had to fill out a questionnaire. I did mine directly on the CDC website. It was general info including my name, dob, medical hx and allergy hx. I know that this was a specific sign on for first line workers, so I don't know that everyone will have to go to the CDC website to fill out the info. I then made an appointment. 12 hours prior to my appointment, I received an email from the CDC "checking on me". It again confirmed allergies and asked if I was currently having any URI symptoms. I answered that prior to arrival for my vaccine. This was a mandatory step, and I'm sure the general public will also be rechecked for possible contraindication before your vaccine. I also filled out a consent that was for my hospital.

The shot was quick and painless. 4 hours later, I feel completely fine with no complaints.

Post vaccine, we had to wait and be observed for 15 minutes to watch for allergies or reactions. I didn't have any nor did any of the people who were there with me. The CDC will now send me a reminder for my second vaccine in 21 days (with a leeway of 2 days on either side).

I also signed up for V-safe. This is a system that will monitor me for any side effects ( I think for a week) via text. Daily, I'll get an text to see how I'm doing. Signing up for V-safe will allow the CDC to continue to monitor those vaccinated for side effects.

Finally, my card has the lot number of the vaccine, the date given, my name, DOB, and location I received the vaccine. It's not an "official looking card" by any means. But, I know that the CDC has all of my info.

Darrell KSR
12-16-2020, 02:00 PM
I hope I redacted enough information...member of my family (not immediate family) received it early this morning. They put a sticker on her ID showing she is vaccinated, as she works with Covid-19 patients.

She has experienced no side effects at all, not even the common ones with some local pain, fatigue, headaches, etc.

She will continue to wear a mask when working with her population, even after the second dose. Just goes with the territory. (Normally she would not be one that would (EDIT--be required to) wear a mask--she works in the speech area, more of a therapy kind of thing. Of course, everybody wears masks now).