PDA

View Full Version : Reasons I hate Xmas

Doc
12-03-2020, 07:12 AM
Top has to be the horrid cheesy music. Sitting here drinking my AM coffee and we got The 12 Days of Christmas followed by Have a Holly Jolly Christmas. Now both will be in my head all day. At least it wasn't The Little Drummer Boy...a rump a tum tum.....

Doc
12-03-2020, 07:14 AM
Next would be getting a gift from somebody you didnt get a gift for. This happens sort of every year. My wife gets me something and then I have to make up an excuse...like I ordered on line and its not here.....

KSRBEvans
12-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Fruit cake.

...Actually, I like fruit cake, if it's done right. Scratch that.

Hallmark movies. Mrs. BEvans wants to watch all the new ones, and even the old ones that she likes. "Honey, let me help you out--it looks like they don't like each other at first, but at the end they get together."

blueboss
12-03-2020, 08:28 AM
Top has to be the horrid cheesy music. Sitting here drinking my AM coffee and we got The 12 Days of Christmas followed by Have a Holly Jolly Christmas. Now both will be in my head all day. At least it wasn't The Little Drummer Boy...a rump a tum tum.....

Maybe you could loop a horse with no name and listen to that until Christmas season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catfan73
12-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Traffic doubles from normal.

KentuckyWildcat
12-03-2020, 02:52 PM
The music....Christmas music may be why I turned off the radio years and have never really turned it back on.

KeithKSR
12-03-2020, 04:04 PM
Fruit cake.

...Actually, I like fruit cake, if it's done right. Scratch that.

Hallmark movies. Mrs. BEvans wants to watch all the new ones, and even the old ones that she likes. "Honey, let me help you out--it looks like they don't like each other at first, but at the end they get together."

One of them is almost always a single parent, and there is usually a quaint small town with perpetual snow involved.

KeithKSR
12-03-2020, 04:05 PM
The music....Christmas music may be why I turned off the radio years and have never really turned it back on.

The worst is Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

MickintheHam
12-03-2020, 05:39 PM
It is not my favorite holiday. How do you stop the rampant gift giving? I frequently make excuses to extricate myself from any event where there is even a hint of gift giving. I abhor it.

I enjoy Christmas Eve Mass and Christmas dinner. And I do enjoy meeting friends I see but once a year. But, aside from that Christmas can’t end soon enough. Humbug!

dan_bgblue
12-03-2020, 05:54 PM
Grand kids and their gift unwrapping expressions are well worth any of the other small aggravations for me.

Padukacat
12-03-2020, 06:06 PM
I hate the gifting...my wife texted me an Amazon link for what I need to buy her for Christmas because it was on sale. Really? Just buy it. Let’s cancel gifts for a lifetime all we do is buy stuff all day. Or let’s get someone that needs something a gift.

MickintheHam
12-03-2020, 06:09 PM
I hate the gifting...my wife texted me an Amazon link for what I need to buy her for Christmas because it was on sale. Really? Just buy it. Let’s cancel gifts for a lifetime all we do is buy stuff all day. Or let’s get someone that needs something a gift.
I am with youBro!

MickintheHam
12-03-2020, 06:13 PM
The worst is Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

My daughter’s Girl Scout troop sang that song at the nursing home every year. Now I do like the Pitino got run over by a Wildcat. Yes sir! I like that one!

KentuckyWildcat
12-03-2020, 07:32 PM
One of them is almost always a single parent, and there is usually a quaint small town with perpetual snow involved.

But some have Candace Cameron :love_heart:

BigBluePappy
12-03-2020, 07:33 PM
Grand kids and their gift unwrapping expressions are well worth any of the other small aggravations for me.

Same with the Greats, brother Dan.

KentuckyWildcat
12-03-2020, 07:34 PM

The girls are 4 and 6. They love the lights and decoration part. Not that big on Santa and we do not push that. But we have tried to be more festive with them this year. That has been pretty fun. I'm actually trying to figure out a way to get several Christmas trees with lights in the backyard for next year. A cheap way lol

Catfan73
12-03-2020, 07:48 PM
Reasons I like Christmas...
Eggnog and bourbon

kingcat
12-03-2020, 07:49 PM

But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid! For behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the city of David a Savior has been born to you. He is Christ the Lord! And this will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.”…
:)

Likewise, this is the most joyful time of the year for me. And it has been since I was a little boy. I actually celebrate the greatest gift ever given, and the gift that is given to every man and woman on the face of the earth. I don't know what calendar day my Lord was really born on, but if folks wanted it to be that night on the 24th and day the 25th I will always join in.

I still feel the same warm feeling of excitement and wonder I had as a small child when I look into the eyes of grand children as I did with my children.
It is a family tradition to celebrate the season to it's fullest and I enjoy every Christmas song, every light, every trek to the tree farms, every trip to light shows for miles around, manger scenes at several churches within driving distance, and every smile just a little bit more throughout December.

i decorate our modest home with an accumulation of lights and displays and keep the sights and sounds of Christmas in full bloom until Christmas Day has come and gone.

I honestly believe if you asked my kids, grandkids and everyone that knows me one day what they remember most about Paw Paw, they will be somewhat reminded of Dicken's words. My intent has always been that it goes like this..

Paw Paw (Daddy and Dave) loved God and knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man possessed the knowledge.

“Men’s courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead,” said Scrooge. “But if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me!”

Doc
12-03-2020, 09:03 PM
I despise shopping crowds. And I mean despise. Then you have the associated traffic.

kingcat
12-03-2020, 09:09 PM
I despise shopping crowds. And I mean despise. Then you have the associated traffic.

Can relate to that. I despise shopping period really.
I am more designed for online sales.

KeithKSR
12-03-2020, 09:17 PM

We buy for the grandkids, but don’t do adult gift exchanges. I told my adult kids I would prefer they spend the money on the little ones.

kingcat
12-03-2020, 09:20 PM
We buy for the grandkids, but don’t do adult gift exchanges. I told my adult kids I would prefer they spend the money on the little ones.

Same here pretty much.

KeithKSR
12-03-2020, 09:20 PM

The bulk of our Christmas shopping the last few years has consisted of me picking out gifts for the grandkids on the web, getting my wife to ok the choices. We’ve done the site to store shipping, makes returns easier, and I have her go pick the stuff up when it arrives.

CitizenBBN
12-03-2020, 11:12 PM
Hate most of those things. Here's what I do:

1) the only xmas music I listen to are parody songs.

2) I cut out gifts long ago, other than for kids. Growing up my mom and I would go to about 6 family xmas dinners over the holiday, with gifts at every one. Trunk loads. it was silly. I just refuse. Don't get me anything, I have everything I want and if I want it I'll go get it.

I will buy things for people, esp. my mom or girl, but I don't time that around XMas. If I see something they like or they tell me they like something, then I get it for them. Don't care what time of year.

3) I absolutely despise most shopping, so I hardly ever do any in a store with a crowd, and I certainly don't go at Xmas. I'll do it when I'm absolutely out of something, or if I need to get something for someone, but I time it as much as possible to avoid crowds.

CitizenBBN
12-03-2020, 11:25 PM
FWIW, for songs I recommend:

Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus and His Old Lady"
Bob & Doug McKenzie "Twelve Days of Christmas"
Mr. Garrison of South Park: "Merry F***ing Christmas"
Bob Rivers "I Am Santa Claus" (Set to "I am Ironman")

UKFlounder
12-04-2020, 07:48 AM
Christmas is okay, but grandpa died on Christmas Day last year, so I don’t look forward to it this year and don’t know how it will be in the future

KSRBEvans
12-04-2020, 08:27 AM

I hate going somewhere and physically shopping for a gift during Christmas. I only go into stores early in the morning or late at night. In fact, I try to avoid the roads around shopping centers because traffic's going to be hell.

A long time ago I read that the Bush family gave each other 1 gift for Christmas, and it was usually something like a sweater or scarf. I thought "How cheap!" But now I get it--to me, Christmas is about the season and not gifts (unless you have little ones you can give to--that's the best).

Doc
12-04-2020, 10:08 AM
I even hate shopping on line because all I see is it lining Jeff Bazo's pockets.

blueboss
12-04-2020, 10:42 AM
FWIW, for songs I recommend:

Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus and His Old Lady"
Bob & Doug McKenzie "Twelve Days of Christmas"
Mr. Garrison of South Park: "Merry F***ing Christmas"
Bob Rivers "I Am Santa Claus" (Set to "I am Ironman")

FWIW I stumbled over a radio station while driving through Lexington a couple of weeks ago. I think it was 105.5 all Christmas music, all the time... year around Christmas music channel. WTH?

BigBluePappy
12-04-2020, 11:30 AM
Christmas is okay, but grandpa died on Christmas Day last year, so I don’t look forward to it this year and don’t know how it will be in the future

Sorry to hear that, Flounder.
Time will help heal, but the pain of loss will always be around and sting a little bit.
I'll bet your Grandpa wouldn't want you to be sad on Christmas.
God Bless you and yours...

kingcat
12-04-2020, 11:42 AM

Very sorry. I pray that first Christmas gift from God is all the more meaningful to you when you think of him.

dan_bgblue
12-04-2020, 01:27 PM
I even hate shopping on line because all I see is it lining Jeff Bazo's pockets.

My wife, who is boycotting Walmart, and Amazon, and I spend a good bit of time looking for items on line that are being sold on smaller business sites that are selling the same product. Most of the time the price is a little higher, and the shipping may not be as quick, but we get a satisfaction knowing that we may be helping an alternative marketplace survive another day.

CitizenBBN
12-04-2020, 02:05 PM
FWIW I stumbled over a radio station while driving through Lexington a couple of weeks ago. I think it was 105.5 all Christmas music, all the time... year around Christmas music channel. WTH?

There's one here, I think 94.5, that does it from Thanksgiving through Christmas, then goes back to a normal Top 40 mix. Not sure if that's the one. I think 105.5 is some other mix station, but I'll check.

blueboss
12-04-2020, 04:48 PM
There's one here, I think 94.5, that does it from Thanksgiving through Christmas, then goes back to a normal Top 40 mix. Not sure if that's the one. I think 105.5 is some other mix station, but I'll check.

105 point something. I was on my way to VA. the last week of Oct. Pretty strong signal, I picked it back up on the way back not too far west of Ashland.

blueboss
12-04-2020, 04:52 PM
Definitely the traffic is at the top of my list of holiday dislikes, second would be the commercials, both radio and TV.

PedroDaGr8
12-10-2020, 04:38 PM
17 Yes, 4 No, 1 Abstain

MOST of the debate (and No's/Abstains) are due to the inclusion of 16 and 17 year old's in the voting question. While the risk profile of the vaccine was known, 16 and 17 year olds are much less likely to get the full blown disease, meaning the potential benefit for them is far lower. The debate revolved around if there was sufficient benefit demonstrated in that age group to warrant the potential risk. One voter asked if they could change the wording of the voting question stating: he didn't want to vote no against it because he would emphatically vote yes for approval for 18 and up. He just felt sufficient evidence of benefit had not been demonstrated.

Darrell KSR
12-10-2020, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the updates, Pedro...I have appreciated them.

dan_bgblue
12-10-2020, 06:17 PM
Yes sir, thank you very much

BigBluePappy
12-10-2020, 06:53 PM
From Pap's little corner of the world.
Many thanks.
I may not respond to these threads as I usually have nothing to say, but I read each and every post on this board (even the political ones) and I thoroughly enjoy your input on this subject.

PedroDaGr8
12-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Glad I can help.

I expect FDA EUA approval to occur today or tomorrow, which will allow for the vaccine to start shipping. Sunday, CDC-ACIP will meet to approve their recommendations as well. Once they approve their recommendations, injections can start.

Darrell KSR
12-11-2020, 06:58 PM
My arm is ready. I'm expecting mine in June though. Anything before that and I'll be happy.

BigBluePappy
12-11-2020, 07:35 PM
My arm is ready. I'm expecting mine in June though. Anything before that and I'll be happy.

Same and happy and to do so...

PedroDaGr8
12-11-2020, 08:16 PM
FDA EUA approval was just issued. Shipments start immediately.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/health/pfizer-vaccine-authorized.html

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

kingcat
12-11-2020, 09:17 PM
https://fearbusters.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/praise-god.gif?w=720

BigBluePappy
12-12-2020, 01:51 AM
Amen, kingcat.
For giving the scientists working on the vaccines the knowledge and the talent to develop this and for making all things fearfully and wonderfully...
All Praise to the Almighty!

bigsky
12-12-2020, 10:01 AM
First, Happy Hanukkah! I always loved living in a town with a huge lighted Menorah right on Main St. Putting faith foremost, (in front of the bank!) said a lot about downtown and our community. I always wanted to illuminate a creche, too. I have met a person offended that our town has a Christmas Stroll. I read a letter from one in the paper. But I’m the opposite; I am uplifted by these reasons for the season. I might crack wise about “winter solstice” but I know this is a time of emotional faith for many Christians, and many of us who were raised with candlelight services and beautiful carols. Whatever Dickens' other messages, it is Tiny Tim's fervent "God bless us, every one" that warms us in the darkest days.

Doc
12-12-2020, 10:07 AM
My wife, who is boycotting Walmart, and Amazon, and I spend a good bit of time looking for items on line that are being sold on smaller business sites that are selling the same product. Most of the time the price is a little higher, and the shipping may not be as quick, but we get a satisfaction knowing that we may be helping an alternative marketplace survive another day.

I too am boycotting Amazon. Have not bought anything from then in quite some time. Was going to order a laser site and it took me to amazon so I got a different make that I could order directly from them rather than thru amazon.

Doc
12-12-2020, 10:08 AM
Christmas lights. Not the lights themselves but untangling and spending hours trying to figure out why half the strings don't work.

KSRBEvans
12-12-2020, 09:58 PM
Christmas lights. Not the lights themselves but untangling and spending hours trying to figure out why half the strings don't work.

We got a pre-lit tree about 3 years ago and it's been really nice not having to unravel lights. But I know there's going to be a year where the tree doesn't light entirely and all the time I've saved not unraveling lights will be spent trying to get the pre-lit tree to work properly.