PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question Concerning President Elect

blueboss
11-04-2020, 03:47 PM
What if the president elect for whatever reason doesn’t make it to his inauguration, does the Vice President elect automatically fill the spot, or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc
11-04-2020, 03:48 PM
Why? Does he have dirt on Hillary?

blueboss
11-04-2020, 03:52 PM
Curious what the rule is. More specifically with Biden’s obvious mental health issues, what if he weren’t able to be inaugurated and sworn in??

ukpumacat
11-04-2020, 03:56 PM
Curious what the rule is. More specifically with Biden’s obvious mental health issues, what if he weren’t able to be inaugurated and sworn in??

If a President elect dies, the Vice President elect becomes President. Then, the Vice President elect along with the electoral committee would choose the new Vice President.
If both died at the same time (like in a plane crash), the Speaker of the House would become the new President.

GhettoBird
11-04-2020, 04:25 PM
If a President elect dies, the Vice President elect becomes President. Then, the Vice President elect along with the electoral committee would choose the new Vice President.
If both died at the same time (like in a plane crash), the Speaker of the House would become the new President.

Should this hold for Biden, given the above scenario I will continue to pray he makes it for 4 years.

catmanjack
11-04-2020, 05:49 PM
Would be a total nightmare if he cannot make his one term.

KeithKSR
11-04-2020, 09:51 PM

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-10-29/trump-biden-coronavirus-health-age-election-integrity-voting

CitizenBBN
11-04-2020, 11:31 PM
What if the president elect for whatever reason doesn’t make it to his inauguration, does the Vice President elect automatically fill the spot, or what?

That's actually an interesting question, and depending on when it happens, has no definitive answer.

If it happens before the electoral college votes, then theoretically depending on each state's laws the electors could vote for another candidate or the state legislature or governor could instruct electors to vote for another candidate. This would be "faithless" or "faithful" electors, and SCOTUS just ruled that states can bind electors in this manner.

If they have voted for him as POTUS, then the VP would become the POTUS in theory, but you'd be surprised how that may not be clear as one thinks. I could see a number of legal challenges since it's never happened.

blueboss
11-05-2020, 06:52 AM
So, Biden just needs to hang on until the electoral vote to push Harris over the line?

dan_bgblue
11-05-2020, 09:49 AM
I have always voted in KY so I do not know about other states, but when I make an election for President these days, the President's VP choice comes along with him like a piece of baggage. I do not get the opportunity to cast a vote for anyone other than his pick.

I think at some point back in history or maybe it still happens in other states, voters could/can actually vote a split ticket for Pres and vice Pres.

ukpumacat
11-05-2020, 09:51 AM
I think at some point back in history or maybe it still happens in other states, voters could/can actually vote a split ticket for Pres and vice Pres.

Indeed, this is how it used to be. The top vote getter was President and #2 was Vice President.

KeithKSR
11-05-2020, 12:11 PM
That's actually an interesting question, and depending on when it happens, has no definitive answer.

If it happens prior to the electoral college vote it would free up electors to vote for another candidate.

KeithKSR
11-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Indeed, this is how it used to be. The top vote getter was President and #2 was Vice President.

That turned out to be problematic very early.

VirginiaCat
11-05-2020, 12:26 PM

If it happens before the electoral college votes, then theoretically depending on each state's laws the electors could vote for another candidate or the state legislature or governor could instruct electors to vote for another candidate. This would be "faithless" or "faithful" electors, and SCOTUS just ruled that states can bind electors in this manner.

If they have voted for him as POTUS, then the VP would become the POTUS in theory, but you'd be surprised how that may not be clear as one thinks. I could see a number of legal challenges since it's never happened.

This. I believe the "Electors" would be free to change in this scenario. Not sure they would but I think they could.

Catonahottinroof
11-05-2020, 12:30 PM
I don’t think they would simply because subverting the will of the people may very well lead to a civil war along political lines.

This. I believe the "Electors" would be free to change in this scenario. Not sure they would but I think they could.

VirginiaCat
11-05-2020, 12:46 PM
I don’t think they would simply because subverting the will of the people may very well lead to a civil war along political lines.

Possibly but maybe not in an election this close.

And, my side has more guns!

ukpumacat
11-05-2020, 12:56 PM

If they were to do that, Republican leaders would step in. I do have confidence (maybe naive?) in that.

Catonahottinroof
11-05-2020, 01:41 PM
You have more faith in government than I....

If they were to do that, Republican leaders would step in. I do have confidence (maybe naive?) in that.