PDA

View Full Version : I Would Like To See Presidential Elections Decided By Number Of Counties Won

Darryl
10-26-2020, 01:36 PM
That would be a true democracy...

Darryl

MickintheHam
10-27-2020, 04:02 AM
That would be a true democracy...

Darryl

I look for the democrats to come up with a resettlement plan.

dan_bgblue
10-27-2020, 07:55 AM
2908 counties, parishes and electoral districts in the USA. Texas leads with 254 counties, followed by Georgia with 159, Kentucky at 120, Missouri at 114, and Kansas at 105. I am not sure how your plan would work for the betterment of the nation, but those states look like a pretty decent start.

Doc
10-27-2020, 10:59 AM
2908 counties, parishes and electoral districts in the USA. Texas leads with 254 counties, followed by Georgia with 159, Kentucky at 120, Missouri at 114, and Kansas at 105. I am not sure how your plan would work for the betterment of the nation, but those states look like a pretty decent start.

It would not work because some states have much larger counties, even more disproportionate than electoral college

ukpumacat
10-27-2020, 11:46 AM
That would be the opposite of a "true democracy". A "true democracy" would be deciding based on popular vote. We are the only country in the world that decides are leader based on an electoral college. And if you know the history behind it, its pretty ugly.

But to be honest, it is what it is at this point because it is likely to never change. Why? Because it would take a super majority to change it and that will never happen.

Dems would love to do away with it because they will likely win the popular vote for the foreseeable future.

Soon enough, Republicans will want to change it because if (when?) Texas turns blue elections will become very very difficult for them.

dan_bgblue
10-27-2020, 06:49 PM
Personally I am satisfied being a member of a constitutional federal republic. We have more than enough democracy traits at the state and local levels to keep things screwed up at the lower levels of governance. My limited knowledge of the ancient Greek democracy does not make me want to be a citizen of a true democracy.

CitizenBBN
10-28-2020, 05:02 PM
I would like to see it decided by people who know the three branches of government and their purpose, and can distinguish between hollow wordplay and reality.

I won't get that wish.