PDA

View Full Version : NCAA botches Miami investigation: Your rules are not law, Mark Emmert

imsoblue
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Hate the NCAA? An actual lawyer is here to explain why its misconduct during its Miami Hurricanes investigation is its most nefarious deed yet.

Hello, non-lawyer friends. By now you've heard that the NCAA is conducting an internal investigation after discovering that its enforcement staff worked with Nevin Shapiro's attorneys to depose witnesses on their behalf. In case you're a non-lawyer you might not know what any of that means, I'm going to conduct a Q&A with my old buddy the fake non-lawyer to explain everything to you.

Q: So what did the NCAA enforcement staff do?

A: NCAA enforcement staff worked with Nevin Shapiro's attorney to depose witnesses with questions that were not related to his bankruptcy case but were related to the NCAA's investigation of Miami.

Q: Wait, what is a deposition?

A: A deposition is out-of-court oral testimony that can be used in a trial. Perhaps the most famous deposition was President Clinton's in the Paula Jones civil suit, in which he said, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."

Q: He was impeached for lying under oath. So I guess that means you're under oath when you're testifying at a deposition?

A. That's correct.

Q: So why was Nevin Shapiro getting deposed?

A: It was to gather evidence for his bankruptcy case. When you declare bankruptcy, all the lawsuits against you are heard by a bankruptcy court. One of the disputes must have required testimony from people who could also testify about Shaprio's activities with the Miami football program.
more (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/24/3907888/ncaa-miami-investigation-scandal)

Catfan73
01-25-2013, 01:57 PM
The NCAA is just one big fubar mess and it keeps getting worse all the time. I wonder though do the normal rules and conventions of gathering information even apply to a voluntary-membership entity such as supposedly is the NCAA?