PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Snacks

KentuckyWildcat
09-06-2020, 09:06 AM
Tought we might could use a thread to share your healthy snack ideas. Below is one that my friend is always posting on FB. I finally tried it. It is like peanut butter candy in a bowl. He has made several versions of this. Often adding fruit, granola, or nuts as well. I did not add the chocolate syrup.

"1/2 cup greek plain no fat yogurt, 3 tablespoons peanut butter, 3 tablespoons truewhip, 1 tablespoon hersheys sugar free chocalte syrup. Mixed well and taste good....high protein, low saturated fat, low carb treat."

dan_bgblue
09-06-2020, 09:31 AM
1 banana, peeled

Darrell KSR
09-06-2020, 10:26 AM
I love this idea, but I don't have much to contribute.

I keep apples and bananas handy, and use an egg cooker to have perfectly cooked "boiled" eggs. I eat 1-2 daily, which bothers my doctor, but not me.

Almost all of the rest of these snacks we have are moderately unhealthy. Processed, packaged, nutrigrain bars, things like that. I will go take a look in the pantry later and post if anyone is interested, but you should not be. This is why I'm anxious to see what others may contribute.

KentuckyWildcat
09-06-2020, 12:02 PM
I don't have much to contribute

I've posted all I got lol

Healthy is relative. For my wife, that is eating kale. For me that is eating less cookies.

KSRBEvans
09-06-2020, 12:11 PM
Mrs. BEvans makes something called a crustless apple something or other that tastes like the inside of an apple pie: 2 1/2 c sliced apples, 1/4 c light brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cooked in an Instant Pot for 30 minutes or so, then serve over a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt. It's very tasty and low cal (depending on the type of yogurt you use, about 200 calories or so).

Darrell KSR
09-06-2020, 01:10 PM
I've posted all I got lol

Healthy is relative. For my wife, that is eating kale. For me that is eating less cookies.

lol. With you.

I don't know if this qualifies as a snack or not, but it is a light lunch for me most days. I mentioned this in the work from home thread, but every day I eat a mug of oatmeal. I use three quarters of a cup of steel cut oats, one heaping teaspoon of peanut butter (crunchy, preferably), and 1 teaspoon of honey or cinnamon sugar. If I wake up hungry in the morning, I will often eat that for breakfast rather than wait til lunch.

CGWildcat
09-06-2020, 01:58 PM
Do Pork Skins count?

suncat05
09-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Any kind of chocolate is good. Right? 😁

dan_bgblue
09-06-2020, 02:18 PM
Do Pork Skins count?

If they don't I will starve to death

Darrell KSR
09-06-2020, 02:39 PM
Anybody drink Chocolate Soldiers? Do they still make that?

Probably not the healthiest snack drink, but I may hit the convenience store after I run this afternoon and see if they have one.

CitizenBBN
09-06-2020, 03:28 PM
Do Pork Skins count?

As long as you're on Adkins it's all good.

Catfan73
09-06-2020, 05:38 PM
Almonds, cheese sticks, fig newtons....wait, that was lunch.

Catonahottinroof
09-06-2020, 06:50 PM
My morning go to is a cappuccino with almond milk, stevia and steel cuts oats. It’s become habit....

CitizenBBN
09-06-2020, 07:11 PM
I'm trying to get into steel cut oats. I like oatmeal, but can't do it in the morning. Doing an overnight crock pot thing with them now that works well, just need to do it more often.

I do toast my oats to deep brown with butter then put them in the pot (actually in a ramekin in the crockpot) and let them go overnight. I'm looking to try the refrigerator version, haven't gotten there yet.

With them toasted they just need salt. Gives them a very rich nutty flavor.

But I do need to find other low carb snacks. I eat my weight in nuts, and olives, and I love cheese but it's tougher without those wonderful crackers. Not a big pork rinds fan. I do like jerky so I do that.

MickintheHam
09-06-2020, 09:07 PM
My eye doctor recommended sardines on saltines for a mid afternoon snack. I asked him if I could substitute anchovies. He said that could be better.

dan_bgblue
09-06-2020, 09:14 PM
I always thought of sardines on saltines as a meal and not a snack. In either category they are fine eating

Darrell KSR
09-06-2020, 09:18 PM
I had jalapeno kettle chips and Cheetos tonight. Does that count?

bigsky
09-06-2020, 10:17 PM
I got nothin

Catfan73
09-07-2020, 11:26 AM
I love the steel cut oats but I usually don’t have the patience or time to cook them. Hadn’t thought about the slow cooker.

Darrell KSR
09-07-2020, 12:46 PM
If you want steel cut oats as an easy snack, it isn't perfect, but this works for me.

9-12 tsp oats (1/4 cup is really 12 tsp, but I think 9 of the size I use is right).
1 heaping tsp crunchy PB
1 tsp honey
Boil water (you don't need nearly as much as I was boiling, but I will be drinking tea shortly and like extra hot water for awhile.

Pour boiling water in soup mug with everything about half-way full. Let sit. Stir every couple of minutes. You'll know when it is ready. It takes a few minutes, but not too long. Less than 10 minutes.

I eat this daily almost every day. I like the peanut butter and crunch really adds to it. The honey is a nice sweetener to the nuttiness. 96619662

kingcat
09-07-2020, 12:49 PM
Crunch and Munch Butter Toffee..caramel flavored if they're out of the good stuff.

And I make some mean popcorn with melted butter\cheese added.

Not so healthy huh? Maybe I could use unsalted butter

CitizenBBN
09-07-2020, 03:02 PM
I always thought of sardines on saltines as a meal and not a snack. In either category they are fine eating

I need to get into sardines. High in B12, something I'm low in.

CitizenBBN
09-07-2020, 03:10 PM
I love the steel cut oats but I usually don’t have the patience or time to cook them. Hadn’t thought about the slow cooker.

My overnight method is to

1) Toast them. Adds a LOT of nutty flavor. I use butter and brown on the stove.

2) Put in a ramekin or such inside the slow cooker. These things can stick like glue, easier to clean that than the entire crockpot liner.

3) I use a 4:1 water (or milk or whatever) ratio to oats. I'm down to 1/4 cup b/c that's plenty for me for breakfast. I'm a light breakfast eater. I use water, the toasting of the oats is more than enough flavor.

So toast oats, put in ramekin, add water, put in crockpot with water around the ramekin (Maybe 1/3rd, 1/2 way up). Put on 8 hour low and walk away.

I do NOT salt mine while cooking. They need salt, and I salt the hades out of them when I get them out, but Alton Brown says not to salt Irish oats while cooking so I don't, it keeps them from absorbing as much liquid.

I've tried it without toasting the oats, it's OK, basic oatmeal, but not nearly as good.

CitizenBBN
09-07-2020, 03:11 PM
I had jalapeno kettle chips and Cheetos tonight. Does that count?

As long as you get the crumbs out of the beanbag chair I think it's OK.

Man I love kettle chips, esp. jalapeno.

CitizenBBN
09-07-2020, 03:14 PM
My eye doctor recommended sardines on saltines for a mid afternoon snack. I asked him if I could substitute anchovies. He said that could be better.

I really need to do this, that's a great idea. Man I'm spamming this thread.

I forget the vitamin/mineral it's for, I have it on a sheet from my optometrist, will look at it. I love anchovies, haven't really been into sardines but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Catonahottinroof
09-08-2020, 12:20 AM
I do steel cut oats overnight in the fridge. 1 cup of oats and 2 cups of almond milk. Mix well and let sit in fridge overnight.
Sometimes I will do 1/3 of a cup of quinoa with that. That makes it a complete protein between the 2 of them. Quinoa has to boil a couple of minutes and steep, covered for about 10 minutes till they pop. Then they go in with one cup of steel cut oats and 2 cups of almond milk. Regular milk is fine as well.

Mannzie
01-21-2021, 09:30 AM
I try to avoid protein bars or cereal bars. Nuts and honey are my favorite after burn remedy for sure! It makes sense of course to rely on an extra boost if you have a demanding routine like mine. I usually do cross fit and some cycles of several demanding exercises so it would be impossible without some extr energy now and then! I don't like at all though steroids or anabolics but I do trust sources that helps bodybuilding for hard gainers (https://skinnyyoked.com/) to achieve their results much easier but most of all safely!

blueboss
01-21-2021, 04:59 PM
Three Pepperidge Farm chocolate toffee thin crunch cookies instead of six.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigsky
01-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Buy an apple corer slicer-thinner slices the better and one with a plate with bumps on it to finish the slices and pop them out. Then peanut butter or plain, they are good and simple.

Padukacat
01-30-2021, 06:31 AM
I can lose 10-15 lbs in a month if I’ve let things get out of hand...like now. When I do I think the weight watchers type of diet is healthiest. I eat: apples, bananas, soups, healthy choice meals, low carb wrap with turkey and sprinkle some cheese and hot sauce, occasional nutri bar, the caramel rice cakes are amazing, skinny pop popcorn, and drink a bunch of water.

Darrell KSR
01-30-2021, 12:11 PM
I can lose 10-15 lbs in a month if I’ve let things get out of hand...like now. When I do I think the weight watchers type of diet is healthiest. I eat: apples, bananas, soups, healthy choice meals, low carb wrap with turkey and sprinkle some cheese and hot sauce, occasional nutri bar, the caramel rice cakes are amazing, skinny pop popcorn, and drink a bunch of water.

Man, I used to be able to skip lunch and lose 5 pounds. I'll tell you like I tell my sons...don't let it get away from you because when you reach a certain age, it's going to be extremely difficult to get the weight off. They say that happens at age 40, but for me, it was around 50+ when it started getting difficult to drop weight.

Your month is basically what I'm eating for months at a time now. Well, not entirely true. I mostly skip breakfast, or have a boiled egg (70 calories), and for lunch steel cut oats with a teaspoon of peanut butter and a teaspoon of honey (227 calories). In between I rotate eating an apple, a pear, raw carrots, or occasionally a banana. For dinner, though, I eat what my wife cooks. USUALLY it's not too bad, but sometimes it is. It's slow going. I am usually around 350 calories until dinner time, sometimes as much as 500 calories, but no more.

You'd think I'd be losing weight like crazy with that calorie intake, but I'm not. And that includes running about 10 miles a week, too. Then again, I am 60, and it's just tougher now.

Padukacat
02-06-2021, 05:37 AM
Man, I used to be able to skip lunch and lose 5 pounds. I'll tell you like I tell my sons...don't let it get away from you because when you reach a certain age, it's going to be extremely difficult to get the weight off. They say that happens at age 40, but for me, it was around 50+ when it started getting difficult to drop weight.

Your month is basically what I'm eating for months at a time now. Well, not entirely true. I mostly skip breakfast, or have a boiled egg (70 calories), and for lunch steel cut oats with a teaspoon of peanut butter and a teaspoon of honey (227 calories). In between I rotate eating an apple, a pear, raw carrots, or occasionally a banana. For dinner, though, I eat what my wife cooks. USUALLY it's not too bad, but sometimes it is. It's slow going. I am usually around 350 calories until dinner time, sometimes as much as 500 calories, but no more.

You'd think I'd be losing weight like crazy with that calorie intake, but I'm not. And that includes running about 10 miles a week, too. Then again, I am 60, and it's just tougher now.

Yes I noticed it’s way harder the last few years since 40. I can’t believe your intake and activity level only maintains that depresses me ha.

VirginiaCat
02-06-2021, 07:21 AM
https://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

Not tried this yet but gets good reviews. Been on Keto for about a week now. Craving pizza and hoping this will suffice. Hoping to make in the snowstorm tomorrow.

KentuckyWildcat
02-06-2021, 08:28 AM
https://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

Not tried this yet but gets good reviews. Been on Keto for about a week now. Craving pizza and hoping this will suffice. Hoping to make in the snowstorm tomorrow.I've had some good cauliflower pizza. Had some that was not good. Wish I knew the trick for you. But there is hope with it.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

badrose
02-06-2021, 09:05 AM
Amazon Prime has dried cranberries and mixed nuts in a bag. Very healthy snacking.

blueboss
02-06-2021, 12:06 PM
Went to Kroger’s this morning, they were all out of healthy snacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
02-07-2021, 11:20 AM
If you are really having trouble losing weight, just get pneumonia and the flu and check into the hospital for a couple of months. At 66 yrs old I went from a trim 185 lbs to 143 when I checked out. My wife said she was going to fix that and she had a good plan. I went from 143 lbs to 205 in about 6 months. Now I am doing what I can to get back to the 185 area.

Darrell KSR
02-07-2021, 11:56 AM
If you are really having trouble losing weight, just get pneumonia and the flu and check into the hospital for a couple of months. At 66 yrs old I went from a trim 185 lbs to 143 when I checked out. My wife said she was going to fix that and she had a good plan. I went from 143 lbs to 205 in about 6 months. Now I am doing what I can to get back to the 185 area.Lol. I'm glad you're at the 205 number. Gotta be a ton better than 140s!

Padukacat
02-08-2021, 01:26 PM
If you are really having trouble losing weight, just get pneumonia and the flu and check into the hospital for a couple of months. At 66 yrs old I went from a trim 185 lbs to 143 when I checked out. My wife said she was going to fix that and she had a good plan. I went from 143 lbs to 205 in about 6 months. Now I am doing what I can to get back to the 185 area.

impressive gains there! man sounds like the pneumonia about killed ya.