08-31-2020, 08:08 PM
@KentuckyMBB: We ask you to join us.
https://twitter.com/KentuckyMBB/status/1300591974072942592/video/1

UKRxman93
08-31-2020, 08:20 PM
Michael Brown?

Darryl
08-31-2020, 08:40 PM
Would it not be ironic if BLM burned Cal’s house down?

Darryl

kingcat
08-31-2020, 08:43 PM
Kudos to Cal and the players.

Darryl
08-31-2020, 08:44 PM
Kudos to Cal and the players.

Absolutely, turn your back on 90% of the UK fan base and support a terrorist group.

Darryl

bigsky
08-31-2020, 08:57 PM
I’m sitting this one out.

Darryl
08-31-2020, 09:01 PM
Cal obviously supports this:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/25/blm-protesters-harass-white-diners-for-not-raising-fists-in-dc/

Darryl

anderwt
08-31-2020, 09:07 PM

Here is my only comment... cops need to be Re-trained... People need to stop doing meth and assaulting women.. when American leaders and athletes, folks that influence other admit this, progress can be made.. until then, welp

Warren
08-31-2020, 09:15 PM
Daryl, I don't think 90% of our fan base supports police brutality, nor do I think they support unfair treatment of black folks. Some of what these kids said, I disagree with -- I don't believe Michael Brown was a martyr, for instance (the facts -- including those uncovered by the DoJ -- indicate that was a good shoot). But they stated what they believe, in an honest, respectful manner, and if they are to be believed, from a position informed by personal experience. None of them called for violence. Heck, I haven't seen any of them declaring that they're gearing up for a race war. I can't say that about you, although you had the good sense to take it down.

Yes, there are extremists in the BLM movement. There are extremists in any movement. Heck, the recently deceased Harvey Updike demonstrated that there are extremists willing to damage property among Alabama fans. But we know that people can cheer for Bama without reaching his level. Likewise, reasonable people can be part of a movement -- even one that contains extremists -- without being extremists themselves.

Or to look at your statement another way... the people who conducted the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville disagree with BLM. You disagree with BLM. Does that mean that you support people like Richard Spencer or the convicted murderer James Fields? I'm willing to give you enough credit as a human being to doubt it. Don't the players and coaches with skin in the game deserve as much credit?

No one is saying that we have to entirely agree with the positions of the players and coaches. But they are entitled to opinions, and to the expression of those opinions, just as you and I are. They're human beings, with value above and beyond whatever entertainment they may bring us for a year or more. They're doing the best they can, like we all are. I don't think that warrants our scorn.

Regards,
Warren

Doc
08-31-2020, 09:21 PM
Wonder if they will produce a video naming all the innocent police officers killed in the name of BLM?

I support their cause but not the organization. I have zero use for any organization the calls for or supports the killing of anybody. I would not support a group that chants "death to blacks" or one that chants "what do you want? Dead cops! When do you want it? Now!" Others can but I won't

Darryl
08-31-2020, 09:22 PM
Daryl, I don't think 90% of our fan base supports police brutality, nor do I think they support unfair treatment of black folks. Some of what these kids said, I disagree with -- I don't believe Michael Brown was a martyr, for instance (the facts -- including those uncovered by the DoJ -- indicate that was a good shoot). But they stated what they believe, in an honest, respectful manner, and if they are to be believed, from a position informed by personal experience. None of them called for violence. Heck, I haven't seen any of them declaring that they're gearing up for a race war. I can't say that about you, although you had the good sense to take it down.

Yes, there are extremists in the BLM movement. There are extremists in any movement. Heck, the recently deceased Harvey Updike demonstrated that there are extremists willing to damage property among Alabama fans. But we know that people can cheer for Bama without reaching his level. Likewise, reasonable people can be part of a movement -- even one that contains extremists -- without being extremists themselves.

Or to look at your statement another way... the people who conducted the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville disagree with BLM. You disagree with BLM. Does that mean that you support people like Richard Spencer or the convicted murderer James Fields? I'm willing to give you enough credit as a human being to doubt it. Don't the players and coaches with skin in the game deserve as much credit?

No one is saying that we have to entirely agree with the positions of the players and coaches. But they are entitled to opinions, and to the expression of those opinions, just as you and I are. They're human beings, with value above and beyond whatever entertainment they may bring us for a year or more. They're doing the best they can, like we all are. I don't think that warrants our scorn.

Regards,
Warren

When black athletes come out in support of the 20 police officers killed since Floyd died AND admit black racism is every bit as big a problem as white racism I will listen to their argument. UK basketball will be fine without me, and the reverse is true.

When I went home to Hazard last year I was amazed how many friends living there cannot stand Calipari. Not a scientific study but interesting.

It was fun while it lasted but I simply will not support anyone that is a proponent of the KKK, BLM, etc

Darryl

UKRxman93
08-31-2020, 09:31 PM
Wonder if they will produce a video naming all the innocent police officers killed in the name of BLM?

I support their cause but not the organization. I have zero use for any organization the calls for or supports the killing of anybody. I would not support a group that chants "death to blacks" or one that chants "what do you want? Dead cops! When do you want it? Now!" Others can but I won't

Agree with this take wholeheartedly.

catmanjack
08-31-2020, 09:50 PM
Exactly what skin is in this game?
Why don’t these millionaire athletes put their money together and start a learning program in each inner city.
The athletes at UK are pampered to no means.
And as a matter of fact the BLM is full on terrorist group call for the murder cops and it does pain me that the head of UK supports a group that is racist in the purest form and is doing their best to tear America apart so why is it so hard to see and realize.

catmanjack
08-31-2020, 10:23 PM
Truly a sad time for what was a great American!

catsroar
08-31-2020, 10:37 PM
“AND admit black racism is every bit as big a problem as white racism”

Dude this is like straight out of white power talking points.

catmanjack
08-31-2020, 10:38 PM
BLM is the new KKK!
I see visions of a whole new America’s and one that has destroyed itself from within!

Darryl
08-31-2020, 10:45 PM

I respect your opinion but you seem comfortable painting white people with a broad brush and giving blacks a pass.

Instead of racism, let’s say no particular group of people is immune to favoring their own kind.

Darryl

Darrell KSR
08-31-2020, 10:47 PM
I don't know if it is possible, but I'm going to copy this thread, placing all of the posts on The Barber Shop, and then deleting everything except the initial post. I'm going to ask everyone to limit discussion on this board to the fact of the basketball program taking that action, and not the pros and cons of black lives matter or anything of that nature. That is fair game to discuss, but it will be taking place on The Barber Shop, rather than here.

StuBleedsBlue2
08-31-2020, 11:03 PM

:lmao:

You are 100% right.

catmanjack
09-01-2020, 12:08 AM
It’s actually bigger unless you do not have access to the media.
At this point there is a huge media driven bias that will rarely report facts.

KeithKSR
09-01-2020, 07:45 AM

Me too. I see no reason to watch them support a movement that only supports those involved with law enforcement while turn a deaf ear to all other black lives, that obviously don’t matter to the self-described Marxist group.

UKHistory
09-01-2020, 10:09 AM
The African American, if I can say this as an outsider to this group of Americans, sees all of these incidents as a patch in a quilt of racial oppression dating back to 1619.

We see them as isolated, singular events that have some similarities but are not necessarily part of a larger problem. And as singular events we distinguish between George Floyd and Michael Brown and Breonna Taylor and Jacob Blake Jr and Trayvonn Martin.

If we see them separately we debate the circumstances of the events. To many African Americans the circumstances are like the NCAAs penalty rationales: they say whatever it they want to fit the decision made. I am not saying that is accurate; I am saying that is how they seem to see it.

While I don't think about how the entire history of the country has brought me to where I am, the African American community does in many ways. I am not sure that is healthy.

1) Black Lives Do Matter. I support the slogan. I believe all lives matter but Africans were once only valued as 3/5 a person and that descriptor has stayed in the minds and let's be honest thanks to Jim Crow in the minds of at least the great grandparents of the young African Americans today. In many examples of police action and laws around the country, black lives have not mattered as much as other races. They have not mattered as much.

I will argue part of that today is more about economics than skin color.

2) There is prejudice and bias for and against every race. Every race has folks prone to it. I have see racists in every culture I have studied and many I have met.

My first boss in Federal government mentioned that she wanted (past tense is the only bright spot in this) to kill all the white people--even the good ones--she wanted to kill us all. What do you do with that?

3) I support the UK players in wanting to promote racial equality. I want justice for all but unsure what we can do realistically about the past. I won't nitpick their video and say Michael Brown being mentioned takes away from the message.

4) Protect and Serve vs Search and Destroy. There are instances of bias and racism in law enforcement. I think there are more issues with some of the police being Barney Fife (big strong versions that is) over Andy Taylor. That is bad for law enforcement. I think a whole host of issues beyond racism have separated LEO including Federal troops from American citizens. The war on drugs, with the most recent version being facilitated by big pharma, is a real part of that.

Many on this board noted with great concerns overreach of Federal agencies with armed units (USDA, ED, EPA) being a danger in the liberty of American citizens. This is common ground many here have had with BLM supporters.

5) No place for looting and rioting or mob rule. Whatever folks are doing during the daylight hours, it becomes violent at night and there are no first amendment protections for violence including the destruction of property. And harassing people dining out is violence in my mind.

6) Monuments--Some monuments I like and others I don't care. Regardless monuments should be voted out by the community. Mob rule can not arbitrarily decide which monuments stay or go.

7) Rupp needs to stay.

Doc
09-01-2020, 10:23 AM
The African American, if I can say this as an outsider to this group of Americans, sees all of these incidents as a patch in a quilt of racial oppression dating back to 1619.

We see them as isolated, singular events that have some similarities but are not necessarily part of a larger problem. And as singular events we distinguish between George Floyd and Michael Brown and Breonna Taylor and Jacob Blake Jr and Trayvonn Martin.

If we see them separately we debate the circumstances of the events. To many African Americans the circumstances are like the NCAAs penalty rationales: they say whatever it they want to fit the decision made. I am not saying that is accurate; I am saying that is how they seem to see it.

While I don't think about how the entire history of the country has brought me to where I am, the African American community does in many ways. I am not sure that is healthy.

1) Black Lives Do Matter. I support the slogan. I believe all lives matter but Africans were once only valued as 3/5 a person and that descriptor has stayed in the minds and let's be honest thanks to Jim Crow in the minds of at least the great grandparents of the young African Americans today. In many examples of police action and laws around the country, black lives have not mattered as much as other races. They have not mattered as much. the 3/5 is something way in the past. IT has been done away with. There is not African American alive today who was ever valued as 3/5 off a person. That description only serves as an excuse. The value of every American citizen is the same, by law

I will argue part of that today is more about economics than skin color.

2) There is prejudice and bias for and against every race. Every race has folks prone to it. I have see racists in every culture I have studied and many I have met.

My first boss in Federal government mentioned that she wanted (past tense is the only bright spot in this) to kill all the white people--even the good ones--she wanted to kill us all. What do you do with that? You will never get rid of individual racism. Just like you will never get rid of people who don't support the gay community. That is their choice, their freedom. What is not is when the gov't does it. Find a law that is racist, and I will be all for removing it

3) I support the UK players in wanting to promote racial equality. I want justice for all but unsure what we can do realistically about the past. I won't nitpick their video and say Michael Brown being mentioned takes away from the message. I will applaud them for speaking out on issues that they support. Promoting equality is fine. Supporting a hate group is not. I consider any group that advocates violence and killing as a hate group. That goes for any and all, from the KKK to BLM

4) Protect and Serve vs Search and Destroy. There are instances of bias and racism in law enforcement. I think there are more issues with some of the police being Barney Fife (big strong versions that is) over Andy Taylor. That is bad for law enforcement. I think a whole host of issues beyond racism have separated LEO including Federal troops from American citizens. The war on drugs, with the most recent version being facilitated by big pharma, is a real part of that. There are but they are few and far between. One incident is too many. However not every single incident is due to police brutality. Officers have every right to protect themselves, while protecting society. Bad officers need to go. Good officers do not need to harassed or killed for doing their job. Identify the bad ones and get rid of them.

Many on this board noted with great concerns overreach of Federal agencies with armed units (USDA, ED, EPA) being a danger in the liberty of American citizens. This is common ground many here have had with BLM supporters.

5) No place for looting and rioting or mob rule. Whatever folks are doing during the daylight hours, it becomes violent at night and there are no first amendment protections for violence including the destruction of property. And harassing people dining out is violence in my mind. yes

6) Monuments--Some monuments I like and others I don't care. Regardless monuments should be voted out by the community. Mob rule can not arbitrarily decide which monuments stay or go. want some thing changed, do it legally...after discussion and debate.

7) Rupp needs to stay.no need to debate this one... I agree. If an EDUCATED argument supported by actual evidence can be put forward, so be it. I've seen neither. I've only seen emotional calls.

Pretty much agree with this post from start to finish, especially the later points. What I can't and won't support is sanctioned violence against ANYBODY. That includes any race, because of their race... or any person because of their occupation. I find it extremely disingenuous that a group that opposes violence towards a race supports violence against any group (ie law enforcement).

Darrell KSR
09-01-2020, 10:48 AM
**From Darryl...(I didn't know how to transfer just one post, so I copied and pasted it here)

I think the combination of the one and done; Cal’s focus on the NBA/devaluing the regular season/SECT/players first/slight downward trend since 2015; weak schedules; ticket prices sky rocketing; and now the political divisiveness all will harm the UK brand as long time fans know it.

As I have said, when I went back to Hazard last October I was very shocked at how disliked Calipari is down there. My family lived and died with UK sports and so many have turned away. Could be an age thing too.

I say it again; liberals tossing around white privilege phrases should be reprimanded for offensive racial phrases. It offends many a great deal, me included

Darryl

catmanjack
09-01-2020, 11:26 AM
No one does or should but the hidden part is that the stats show that certain races are the ones causing the most harm and that is overlooked.

Pretty much agree with this post from start to finish, especially the later points. What I can't and won't support is sanctioned violence against ANYBODY. That includes any race, because of their race... or any person because of their occupation. I find it extremely disingenuous that a group that opposes violence towards a race supports violence against any group (ie law enforcement).

bigsky
09-01-2020, 03:00 PM
As an aside, with his political posts, Magloire 52 Has shown he’s the same prancing butt-swish he was when I argued with him on this board about Tubby.

anderwt
09-01-2020, 05:47 PM
I’m for police reform/re-training.. Im honestly not that upset with BLM... but what BLM protest has turned into straight burning and stealing and therefore causes way more issues than just cops being too aggressive and profiling. Look it happens, Cops profile African Americans, if you don’t think so, you are lying to yourself.

The issue I have with BLM movement in this country at this moment is, its based on two guys who were both criminals, one who was on meth while getting arrested. The second criminal assaulted a woman which is why police was there in the first place , and you literally Have the WNBA wearing this guys name on their shirt. It’s the basis of this country getting torn apart and burned down is what is so dang frustrating for me as a citizen.

catmanjack
09-01-2020, 10:08 PM
Sad but do you think cops knew the real truth about what is happening.
Look the new here in Louisville runs a story about gangs and the killings and they show maybe 20 faces and all are black, that is a problem and not racial profiling.
The complaints about most jails are 80% black when they make up 40% of the population those are real and true problems.
It’s not racism or anything holding them back other then their willingness to put in the effort to buck the trend of the thug life.
Put out a full effort to reform their desire for education.

catmanjack
09-01-2020, 10:10 PM
Again that just being uneducated and going with the narrative to support the cause without facts.
They tend to show the ignorance.

bigsky
09-02-2020, 09:44 AM
Moynihan Report. 1965 US Dept of Labor

“...there is a considerable body of evidence to support the conclusion that Negro social structure, in particular the Negro family, battered and harassed by discrimination, injustice and uprooting, is in the deepest trouble.”

That was in 1965. Add “War on (Black men with) Drugs”, and heroin and rock cocaine, the War on Poverty’s perverse incentives paying for babies to be born with no family structure, misogynistic popular culture, the failure of public education in the inner city, cities with poverty enforcing revenue strategies like Ferguson’s $2,000 speeding tickets, the loss of factories and blue collar “leg up” jobs, to that already existing “massive deterioration of society” and we are where we are. Asians aren’t there. Hispanics aren’t there. American Indians on the reservation are in a whole different hell. But where the inner city and rural poverty pocket black deterioration is now, was predicted in 1965, (complete with the great success of the rise of a black middle class). And we throw our police officers into that, like Custer into the battlefield. We can be surprised at how well most hold up and maintain our values. But we can’t not understand why some lose their way. Fixing the police means first fixing the family structure of those they police.

Today, of course, Moynihan and my analysis is a false need for paternalism and attempt to put a white culture of an overrated nuclear family structure over a black culture all its own. And the success of one over the other is just white racism. It is that analysis fostered by BLM, and it’s violent or less violent allies, that I reject utterly.

kingcat
09-02-2020, 07:18 PM
Todays Courier Journal article clarifies the known facts in the Breonna Taylor case. A very interesting article that does not present law enforcement in Derby City in a good light.
Looks as if it certainly deserved peaceful protest, absent the fiasco that several whackos caused.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2020/06/16/breonna-taylor-fact-check-7-rumors-wrong/5326938002/

catmanjack
09-02-2020, 09:13 PM
And you fully trust the media?

catmanjack
09-02-2020, 09:18 PM
Not sure the article more then a hit piece.
There is way more to the story now will the true story come out who knows.

catmanjack
09-02-2020, 10:57 PM
Sure did, seemed like it was full of holes and nothing concrete.
Again the kind of stuff the media throws around.

catmanjack
09-02-2020, 10:58 PM
Very good video of four black men that fully support trump and America in the thread about the Portland Mayor be good to watch, tried posting it myself.