PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding!! People Forced To Stay Home And NBA Ratings STILL Down 40%

Darryl
08-20-2020, 06:48 PM
If they would remove the televisions tuned to the NBA that are on in restaurants, airports, etc. the ratings would be down much more.

I am doing my part to elevate the Beverly hillbillies ratings

Darryl

Darrell KSR
08-20-2020, 07:06 PM

Darryl

If I see them on TV, they'll have two of us watching from Birmingham. (I'm not as anti-NBA as you are; just find it hard to be interesting. I like following their stats more than watching a game. Weird, huh?)

StuBleedsBlue2
08-20-2020, 07:08 PM
Of course ratings are down. There's 8 hours of NBA on per day. Not to mention that most bars are closed in heavily populated areas that would have those games on every screen. I couldn't go out and watch a game if I wanted to.

Only the die-hards are going to watch NBA all day and all night.

I'm watching 95% of my NBA during the day and watch baseball at night. I would bet that if you take unique watchers that average 2 hours per day, you actually probably have more viewers. I would bet there were more people that watched Phoenix Suns games in the bubble than ever watched them before. Unfortunately, basic viewership numbers don't go that deep.

Context matters.

The NBA is not going to lose a dime on their next TV deal.

Darryl
08-20-2020, 07:27 PM
I agree, the NBA won’t lose any money as long as they keep sucking up to Communist China.

Darryl

Darryl
08-20-2020, 07:30 PM
If I see them on TV, they'll have two of us watching from Birmingham. (I'm not as anti-NBA as you are; just find it hard to be interesting. I like following their stats more than watching a game. Weird, huh?)

Another reason I LOVE living in Alabama;
I have lived here 44 years and have not had one person ever say to me “did you see the NBA game last night?”

Darryl

Doc
08-20-2020, 09:01 PM
Another reason I LOVE living in Alabama;
I have lived here 44 years and have not had one person ever say to me “did you see the NBA game last night?”

Darryl

but wait til football.

ukpumacat
08-20-2020, 11:09 PM
This has been some of the best NBA basketball (and just basketball period) that I have ever seen. I am just a massive basketball fan. So I watch it on every level I can. I am the junkie that catches G-league games at times.
But man oh man has this bubble thing been successful.

Justwarcat
08-20-2020, 11:17 PM
If they would remove the televisions tuned to the NBA that are on in restaurants, airports, etc. the ratings would be down much more.

Darryl

TV ratings aren't nearly as important anymore with streaming and dvr. You don't get to count them. Prior to covid they were making incredible revenue, which in the end is all that matters

CitizenBBN
08-21-2020, 12:03 AM
This has been some of the best NBA basketball (and just basketball period) that I have ever seen. I could care less about the t-shirts or anthem stuff (as in I never ever watch "pre-game"). I am just a massive basketball fan. So I watch it on every level I can. I am the junkie that catches G-league games at times.

I could ignore the other stuff, but not their stand on China, esp. in the context of their willingness to take stands on about everything else.

It's so close to doing business with Nazi Germany you can't see the difference with the naked eye.

ukpumacat
08-21-2020, 01:11 AM
I could ignore the other stuff, but not their stand on China, esp. in the context of their willingness to take stands on about everything else.

It's so close to doing business with Nazi Germany you can't see the difference with the naked eye.

Oh boy.

MickintheHam
08-21-2020, 02:55 AM

Couldn’t agree more!

blueboss
08-21-2020, 06:44 AM
Have not will not watch one second of NBA.

TODM. “Their Opinions Don’t Matter”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc
08-21-2020, 07:41 AM
This has been some of the best NBA basketball (and just basketball period) that I have ever seen. I am just a massive basketball fan. So I watch it on every level I can. I am the junkie that catches G-league games at times.

I would agree. For me, I like the games starting at 1 pm (eastern time) and running straight thru. Add in hockey doing virtually the same, both being in the playoffs,...then throw in baseball's short / compact season with games and doubleheaders daily, its a sports junkies dream.

Doc
08-21-2020, 07:43 AM

The China thing is not so bothersome to me. That is just hypocrisy, and I am used to that. For me its more the one sided social outrage. BLM across the court, and the jersey messages that do not allow the other side to voice their opinion is what I find distasteful.

KeithKSR
08-21-2020, 09:03 AM
I haven’t watched any bubble basketball. I have a hard time getting interested in the NBA other than the success of former Cats.

StuBleedsBlue2
08-21-2020, 09:15 AM
I haven’t watched any bubble basketball. I have a hard time getting interested in the NBA other than the success of former Cats.

Well, there's been a TON of that in the bubble.

StuBleedsBlue2
08-21-2020, 09:23 AM
TV ratings aren't nearly as important anymore with streaming and dvr. You don't get to count them. Prior to covid they were making incredible revenue, which in the end is all that matters

Exactly. Old traditional ratings systems are so outdated. It's all about reach and advertising. Besides the quality of play inside the bubble being outstanding, the NBA has got to be thrilled with the outcome.

ETWNAPPEL
08-21-2020, 09:45 AM
If I stopped watching/listening/reading everything put out by someone I disagreed with politically it would be a very boring world and I’d be less enriched for it.

As entertainment, I couldn’t care less about NASCAR, hockey, WWE, lifetime movie network, Hallmark, etc. what would be the point of celebrating that fact? Not sure the obsession with repeatedly cheering on the demise of something that many others greatly enjoy and is, if nothing else, providing an opportunity for people to make an honest living.

Love me some Celtics! Love watching all my UK Guys that are dominating the NBA.

I’ll be back in 3 weeks when this is all posted again and we pledge our disdain or allegiances once again and again

bigsky
08-21-2020, 09:51 AM
Not a second of pro sports of any kind.

Bakert
08-21-2020, 10:31 AM
If I stopped watching/listening/reading everything put out by someone I disagreed with politically it would be a very boring world and I’d be less enriched for it.

As entertainment, I couldn’t care less about NASCAR, hockey, WWE, lifetime movie network, Hallmark, etc. what would be the point of celebrating that fact? Not sure the obsession with repeatedly cheering on the demise of something that many others greatly enjoy and is, if nothing else, providing an opportunity for people to make an honest living.

Love me some Celtics! Love watching all my UK Guys that are dominating the NBA.

I’ll be back in 3 weeks when this is all posted again and we pledge our disdain or allegiances once again and again

Wisdom.

Not necessarily some of the specifics (e.g., I am fond of NASCAR and Hallmark movies*), but 100% with the overall sentiments.

*Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention. :)

MickintheHam
08-21-2020, 10:32 AM
The China thing is not so bothersome to me. That is just hypocrisy, and I am used to that. For me its more the one sided social outrage. BLM across the court, and the jersey messages that do not allow the other side to voice their opinion is what I find distasteful.

Well, what you object to is consistent with the what the NBA’s buddies in China do. The NBA has ceded a large viewing audience to advance their agenda. It’s their choice.

StuBleedsBlue2
08-21-2020, 10:58 AM

What social justice messaging are people not allowed to express? Before you say 'Blue Lives Matter', that is NOT a social justice message. That IS the systematic message, and one that has been horribly abused. Same with 'All Lives Matter'.

Not to mention that there are several neutral social justice messages approved, such as:

Power to the People
Vote
Education Reform
Speak Up
Antiracist
Freedom

Those are a few that any side should be able to get behind and neutral messaging.

Of course, a player just has the option to not add a message. That's the key here, it's all optional. It's not like the NBA is telling everyone they must choose something to where. By not choosing an approved message IS an opinion.

I'm just curious as to what is missing here.

ukpumacat
08-21-2020, 11:01 AM
Not a second of pro sports of any kind.

Interestingly, I have found myself watching less than I thought I would. As I said, I have loved the NBA games I've been able to see. They have been terrific basketball. But, I have watched very little else and expected I would.

Which is an interesting point about "ratings". Even though many people are at home, I actually think its been hard to "be distracted" and get back into sports. I'm not sure if that's because it feels more meaningless considering or if its more of a social thing than we ever thought. Maybe both?
I read an article yesterday that said overall that the NBA, Nascar, MLB and MLS are all down. Golf is up. Ha.

ukpumacat
08-21-2020, 11:23 AM
Btw, can we just all be honest? Way before the BLM stuff and the China stuff from last year....there were only about 5 of us on this board that watched the NBA. We watched it because we liked the basketball. Not because of any political/social/any other "al" reason. Just basketball.
Others didn't because they didn't like the basketball. That is the bottom line.
We know this because we talked about it incessantly. We have multiple threads where the same 4-5 of us talk the NBA.

The same people who didn't watch it then don't watch it now. And the same people who watched it then...still watch it.

We are a very small sample piece but I would guess that is true for the larger audience. Any "ratings decline" has far more to do with other things going on than it does with any sort of boycott of the NBA.
I've watched it. But not as much as I expected I would.

I am all for racial equality but hate the names on the jerseys. Why? Because I think it looks terrible (thank goodness they at least put their last names on the bottom), frankly. And I care about that (which I suppose makes me a bad liberal). Just like I think having a sponsor on the front looks bad (which I suppose makes me a bad capitalist).

I will buy Goya if I like their beans. I will buy GoodYear (I am guessing there is not a 12 page thread about the cancel culture on this one over at the Barber Shop???) if I like the tires. And I will watch the NBA if I like the basketball.
I also like Doc because he's hilarious, Mick because he's about the nicest guy ever, Chuck because he's got a dirty mind and Darryl because he's a walking basketball encyclopedia. And none of us agree on politics. But with a little respect and lots of beer anything is possible.

P.S. I want to say this for the umpteenth time...even if you hate the NBA, please watch a quarter of Luka. He is so special in a very pure basketball way.

MickintheHam
08-21-2020, 11:41 AM
Btw, can we just all be honest? Way before the BLM stuff and the China stuff from last year....there were only about 5 of us on this board that watched the NBA. We watched it because we liked the basketball. Not because of any political/social/any other "al" reason. Just basketball.
We know this because we talked about it incessantly. We have multiple threads where the same 4-5 of us talk the NBA.

The same people who didn't watch it then don't watch it now. And the same people who watched it then...still watch it.

We are a very small sample piece but I would guess that is true for the larger audience. Any "ratings decline" has far more to do with other things going on than it does with any sort of boycott of the NBA.

I am all for racial equality but hate the names on the jerseys. Why? Because I think it looks terrible (thank goodness they at least put their last names on the bottom), frankly. And I care about that (which I suppose makes me a bad liberal). Just like I think having a sponsor on the front looks bad (which I suppose makes me a bad capitalist).

I will buy Goya if I like their beans. I will buy GoodYear (I am guessing there is not a 12 page thread about the cancel culture on this one over at the Barber Shop???) if I like the tires. And I will watch the NBA if I like the basketball.
I also like Doc because he's hilarious, Mick because he's about the nicest guy ever, Chuck because he's got a dirty mind and Darryl because he's a walking basketball encyclopedia. And none of us agree on politics. But with a little respect and lots of beer anything is possible.

P.S. I want to say this for the umpteenth time...even if you hate the NBA, please watch a quarter of Luka. He is so special in a very pure basketball way.

I'm sorry my honesty's in question. For the record, before the bubble I watched an hour or two a week. now I have watched zero. zilch, nada. I might watch some of the playoffs if there is something compelling. but for the last 20 years I have watched less and less as the NBA becomes less about sport and more about drama.There is too much good drama on TV to waste time on the fake stuff.

And also for the record I don't buy Goya beans or go to Chick Fil A.

ETWNAPPEL
08-21-2020, 12:10 PM
Luka IS amazing. Jason Tatum has become unreal. Booker couldn’t miss. It’s been fun.

blueboss
08-21-2020, 12:17 PM
I watched NBA quite a bit before the BLM movement, (or whatever you want to call it) i done care to watch it now. I don’t care what the players think or feel unsolicited. I’ve never met any of these guys I know nothing about them, other than they are good basketball players...so that’s really all I want from them.

Just as NFL players chose to disrespect our flag and what it stands for.... which is their right, it is also my right not to watch it.

They are our muses, and when I’m not amused I don’t tune in....

I don’t tune in to protests to watch them play basketball, I don’t tune in to basketball to watch them protest. I don’t tune in to politics to hear them sing, I don’t go to concerts to hear their politics.... I don’t mind green and eggs and ham, still taste the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc
08-21-2020, 01:19 PM

I watched plenty of NBA prior to this. As you know, I will watch basketball at any level, and do so with a passion. I would say I am watching slightly more than normal. Mostly I watch for former UK players. Last night was fun to see ADavis go against WGabriel. The two were matched up frequently....if you want to call it that. No surprise Davis went for 31/11 in 29 minutes of action.

I will say there are many people who quit watching due to the politics. No different than the NFL, which was in a decline prior to the pandemic. A player in any sport who wants to make a political statement should, just don't do it on the court. I pay or tune to watch sports, not hear your political rhetoric. If I want that I will go to a rally. I say the same about entertainers who feel me paying to see them give a concert means I want to hear their political views. I don't. I've long been a James Taylor fan. Had a change to go to one of his concerts and declined because I heard he takes the opportunity to elaborate on his politics. I don't feel like forking out $100 but to hear you hate Trump... or like Trump. I don't care about their thought on George Floyd or Brianna Taylor. I care about hearing "Sweet Baby James", "In My Mind I'm Going to Carolina" and "You've Got a Friend". Likewise I want to see LeBron dive to the basket, or Hardin stroke some threes....now look at "BLACK LIVES MATTER" scrolled across the floor. Its crap like that which is one reason I prefer college and AAU ball. It is less about the "other stuff" (although its still there). But there is no denying the much of the displeasure for some if the social justice aspect of it. I find it funny that millionaires complain about roadblocks. I find it funny that a league made up nearly 75% of African Americans complain about how their color impedes their success. And don't think for a minute that there is not a bias FOR black athletes. Does that bother me? Nope, not in the least. But I do find it humorous in my owner warped way.

Doc
08-21-2020, 01:22 PM
Luka IS amazing. Jason Tatum has become unreal. Booker couldn’t miss. It’s been fun.

I have always been a Jason Tatum fan. Ditto for Jaylen Brown. Bookers success has been phenomenal.

KentuckyWildcat
08-21-2020, 02:45 PM
I careless about the NBA or the ratings but Nielsen rating can factor in streaming and DVR. To Puma's point, I didn't care before this year either lol

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/solutions/measurement/television/

"Our measuring technology and devices capture which networks/stations viewers are tuned into on each television set in the home. Our meters and technology can also identify who is watching, as well as when, including time-shifted viewing—the viewing of recorded programming via DVR or video on demand. Nielsen also captures viewing that occurs on other screens, such as mobile, tablet, and computer—delivering to network clients a view of their total audience."

CitizenBBN
08-21-2020, 03:49 PM
Oh boy.

I'm talking about pre war 1930s Nazi Germany, the era of the Eighth Party Congress, Kristallnacht, burning of the Reichstag, pre concentration camps and war. Are you saying China isn't on the fast track to a good Nazi comparison?

They are creating a police state the likes of which even Orwell didn't envision, and are operating concentration camps in Muslim areas to control the population. They are engaged in claims of historic territorial control/expansion from Hong Kong to Taiwan to the South China Sea to Pakistan and of course Tibet.

Hey, remember when, before China was a massive source of movie revenue, Hollywood stars protested the occupation of Tibet by China? Don't hear much about that these days.

I have to live with cheap Chinese junk imports for most things b/c otherwise you have to move to a cabin in the woods, but where you have something like the NBA, which is absurdly duplicitous in its moral position taking and I can live without it readily, I choose to live without it when they consistently condemn American culture and turn a blind eye to Chinese oppression b/c they hope to be allowed access to the market to sell more shoes and cable packages.

CitizenBBN
08-21-2020, 04:10 PM

I've never been a big fan, but I did watch when UK guys were on and I happened to be where I could watch it. So no I didn't at one time watch a bunch and now stopped, but I don't know if that tells us much about ratings or not. We'd need to survey people who were watching and stopped.

But I don't like being lectured to hypocritically, and that's where I feel the NBA has gotten. Since I can ignore them without any real cost to myself, I choose to do so.

I try to shy away from Chinese made anything when I can, but clearly that's impossible, so you live with it, but where I can I will, and the NBA is an easy one. Even for UK players.

CitizenBBN
08-21-2020, 04:13 PM
What social justice messaging are people not allowed to express? Before you say 'Blue Lives Matter', that is NOT a social justice message. That IS the systematic message, and one that has been horribly abused. Same with 'All Lives Matter'.

I don't think we could have asked for a finer example of Leftist hypocrisy and self-centered ideology.

"My message is a message, your message is hateful propaganda, and I'm the one who gets to decide which is which."

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

(oh, and to even grant you this absurd position that somehow only a Leftist can decide what is "social justice" and what is "systemic racism", #FreeHongKong comes to mind.)

Basket Case
08-21-2020, 05:18 PM

I understand this sentiment, but for me, and it appears others on this board, there is a big distinction. If I know someone's politics and I disagree, I would not boycott them in any way. If said person is using their employed position to further their politics, I will not financially support them. I will not buy Levi's again even though I have been a long time customer since their company decided to team up with Bloomberg on gun control. I agree with Doc in that I wouldn't go to a James Taylor concert if I knew he was going to preach. OTOH, I went to a Green Day concert knowing their politics but they didn't give a sermon.

To me it is about respect too. If you take a political stand in your public/entertainment position, you are going to offend a large part of your customer base, which amounts to an extremely poor business decision. If you don't care at all that you might offend me, I am certainly not going to give you my business.

Heck, look at what the injection of politics into sports is doing to this board alone, do we really want politics in our entertainment?

CitizenBBN
08-21-2020, 05:32 PM
I understand this sentiment, but for me, and it appears others on this board, there is a big distinction. If I know someone's politics and I disagree, I would not boycott them in any way. If said person is using their employed position to further their politics, I will not financially support them. I will not buy Levi's again even though I have been a long time customer since their company decided to team up with Bloomberg on gun control. I agree with Doc in that I wouldn't go to a James Taylor concert if I knew he was going to preach. OTOH, I went to a Green Day concert knowing their politics but they didn't give a sermon.

To me it is about respect too. If you take a political stand in your public/entertainment position, you are going to offend a large part of your customer base, which amounts to an extremely poor business decision. If you don't care at all that you might offend me, I am certainly not going to give you my business.

Heck, look at what the injection of politics into sports is doing to this board alone, do we really want politics in our entertainment?

This is where I'm at.

I won't "boycott" an actor or even a company simply for disagreeing, but if you're going to lecture me I very well may, and if you're going to lecture me and then be a hypocrite about how you do it, then chances are excellent esp. if it's not a big cost to me to do so.

I don't mind someone disagreeing with me, and I won't "cancel" people just for that, that's how we're getting where we're at now, but I don't care to be lectured to, esp. by smug people who are way better off than me complaining about their or someone else's oppression while I work 80 hours a week and they sip wine and eat brie.

It's like Michelle Obama talking about how she was/is oppressed, from the comfort of her $11 million estate on Martha's Vineyard. Just how oppressed have you been to rise to First Lady of the USA and retire with a 9 digit savings account? If that's oppression hand me a big heap of it.

bigsky
08-21-2020, 09:23 PM
I don’t like the money athletes are paid. I don’t like the taxpayer subsidized stadiums and arenas etc. i don’t like the behaviors, the entitlement. I don’t like the politics. They are not heroes; they are not role models, they are not credible spokespeople. I think of them as Hollywood II.

CitizenBBN
08-21-2020, 10:10 PM
I don’t like the money athletes are paid. I don’t like the taxpayer subsidized stadiums and arenas etc. i don’t like the behaviors, the entitlement. I don’t like the politics. They are not heroes; they are not role models, they are not credible spokespeople. I think of them as Hollywood II.

Very well said. "Hey I'm on TV, i'm sure everyone who loves and adores me, which is everyone, would highly value my opinion on things other than my profession."

Catonahottinroof
08-22-2020, 10:22 AM
Which is where free speech is beginning to be violated on a consistent basis.
I don't think we could have asked for a finer example of Leftist hypocrisy and self-centered ideology.

"My message is a message, your message is hateful propaganda, and I'm the one who gets to decide which is which."

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

(oh, and to even grant you this absurd position that somehow only a Leftist can decide what is "social justice" and what is "systemic racism", #FreeHongKong comes to mind.)