PDA

View Full Version : Is ammunition becoming more available?

Pages : [1] 2 3

KeithKSR
07-31-2020, 10:33 AM
I was able to score 300 rounds of 9mm for less than 30 cents a round yesterday. It took two stops to get that much, due to purchase limits, but it is the most 9mm I have been able to get in a day since the shortage began.

The first week of the closures I bought two boxes of Tula 5.56 for $3.99/20 round box. I would have gotten more if I knew then what I know now.

VirginiaCat
07-31-2020, 10:36 AM
I do all my shopping through sgammo.com

KeithKSR
07-31-2020, 10:51 AM
I do all my shopping through sgammo.com

Right now they don’t have any 9mm or 5.56/.223 in stock.

Darrell KSR
07-31-2020, 11:09 AM
Hope so.

I have a hidden gem, nice source for ammunition when a lot of places don't have it, but even they are not unlimited, and certainly not immune to price increases from their suppliers, either.

Doc
07-31-2020, 11:52 AM
I was able to score 300 rounds of 9mm for less than 30 cents a round yesterday. It took two stops to get that much, due to purchase limits, but it is the most 9mm I have been able to get in a day since the shortage began.

The first week of the closures I bought two boxes of Tula 5.56 for $3.99/20 round box. I would have gotten more if I knew then what I know now.

I picked up 250 rounds last week at ammunitiondepot.com for 30 cents per round (wolf). Are sold out now,

KeithKSR
07-31-2020, 12:54 PM
I picked up 250 rounds last week at ammunitiondepot.com for 30 cents per round (wolf). Are sold out now,

That’s not a bad price for the current market. Back in April when I bought my Glock I bought 250 rounds of brass Blazer for $52, which is just a penny or so above the 20 cents a round mark. Since then the cheapest I have found was $10.99/50 of some brand called Red Army. I’ve bought some at $12.99 and $13.99 when I find it at those prices because some places are asking and getting $20 or $30 for 50 round boxes of FMJ.

I walked in a shop yesterday that was newly reopened, the guy had a 1000 round case of Armscor 9mm FMJ in boxes of 50 sitting on the counter. He told me he wasn’t selling it locally, because he is getting $30 a box on Gunbroker.com for it.

KentuckyWildcat
07-31-2020, 06:39 PM
Just read an article 2 days ago that said it was not. But I hope it is.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

VirginiaCat
07-31-2020, 06:55 PM
Right now they don’t have any 9mm or 5.56/.223 in stock.

Not sure what you are seeing. But limit 2 at $.28 a round

Lender Logo NMLS #399802 30 Year Fixed 3.005% APR 2.875% at 0.789 point Monthly Payment $714/mo $2,902 fees

If willing to go laquered:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf-ammo-sale/1440-round-spam-can-9mm-luger-115-grain-fmj-lacquered-steel-case-wolf-ammo-ma

KeithKSR
07-31-2020, 08:55 PM
Not sure what you are seeing. But limit 2 at $.28 a round

Lender Logo NMLS #399802 30 Year Fixed 3.005% APR 2.875% at 0.789 point Monthly Payment $714/mo $2,902 fees

If willing to go laquered:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf-ammo-sale/1440-round-spam-can-9mm-luger-115-grain-fmj-lacquered-steel-case-wolf-ammo-ma

It shows it isn’t in stock, has a notify button for notification when it is back in stock.

KentuckyWildcat
08-01-2020, 01:34 PM
It shows it isn’t in stock, has a notify button for notification when it is back in stock.

I've been able to find some of the Hornady Black in 7.62 I wanted by clicking "notify when back in stock". It goes quick, but it is a good way to find it. I just did that on several websites and have been to catch it 3 different times.

KeithKSR
08-01-2020, 04:16 PM
I've been able to find some of the Hornady Black in 7.62 I wanted by clicking "notify when back in stock". It goes quick, but it is a good way to find it. I just did that on several websites and have been to catch it 3 different times.

I’ve clicked that on a few websites, but may need to step up my game.

Darrell KSR
08-02-2020, 06:29 PM
That’s not a bad price for the current market. Back in April when I bought my Glock I bought 250 rounds of brass Blazer for $52, which is just a penny or so above the 20 cents a round mark. Since then the cheapest I have found was $10.99/50 of some brand called Red Army. I’ve bought some at $12.99 and $13.99 when I find it at those prices because some places are asking and getting $20 or $30 for 50 round boxes of FMJ.

I walked in a shop yesterday that was newly reopened, the guy had a 1000 round case of Armscor 9mm FMJ in boxes of 50 sitting on the counter. He told me he wasn’t selling it locally, because he is getting $30 a box on Gunbroker.com for it.I just noticed $30 a box and somehow my brain registered it as 100 rounds, and I was wondering what the big deal was. Box of 50 - now I see why he wasn't selling them locally. Yikes.

suncat05
08-03-2020, 09:47 AM
Okay, JMHO, but everyone's emphasis should be focused on obtaining 1) rifle caliber ammunition first & foremost, because you will want to keep the bad guys at bay and not allow them in close proximity to you and yours, because 2) a rifle and/or a shotgun are much, much better defensive weapons than almost any handgun, and 3) if you find yourself in a situation where you have to resort to a handgun as your primary defensive weapon, it means that you are out of or low on rifle/shotgun ammo AND that the bad guys are now practically on top of you and you are fighting for your life in a desperate situation. JMHO.

suncat05
08-03-2020, 09:51 AM
Something else most people don't think about but that extremely important as well; invest in plenty of magazines for your rifle(s), because when it all finally goes south on you, the need to keep that rifle fed with ammo will keep you in the fight.

suncat05
08-03-2020, 09:53 AM
You can NEVER HAVE ENOUGH BULLETS AND MAGAZINES! .

Darrell KSR
08-03-2020, 11:11 AM
A buddy of mine bought a Mossberg 590 about a year ago for $300. It's selling for $599 today.

KentuckyWildcat
08-03-2020, 11:32 AM
Something else most people don't think about but that extremely important as well; invest in plenty of magazines for your rifle(s), because when it all finally goes south on you, the need to keep that rifle fed with ammo will keep you in the fight.

I don't have much yet...But I've not been stocking up very long. But this is why I focus on 3 rounds and 3 types of Magazines. I'm getting there.

KeithKSR
08-03-2020, 12:32 PM
You can NEVER HAVE ENOUGH BULLETS AND MAGAZINES! .

I’ve got four mags for my AR, I may get another one or two to have on hand. I need more 5.56, I’m getting a decent stockpile of 9mm.

KeithKSR
08-03-2020, 12:35 PM
A buddy of mine bought a Mossberg 590 about a year ago for $300. It's selling for $599 today.

I’ve not been able to even locate a 590. I do have an 870 Remington with the 28 inch barrel.

Darrell KSR
08-03-2020, 12:55 PM
I’ve not been able to even locate a 590. I do have an 870 Remington with the 28 inch barrel.It's in stock locally, but I misspoke. It's selling for $699!

Birmingham Pistol and Wholesale. I've been there once, but I drove past there last week and thought about stopping in. Just didn't have the time to do so. It's not convenient for me usually, but how was out there on a rare errand. Supposedly they have the best prices in town, but I've never really compared.

KeithKSR
08-03-2020, 01:24 PM
It's in stock locally, but I misspoke. It's selling for $699!

Birmingham Pistol and Wholesale. I've been there once, but I drove past there last week and thought about stopping in. Just didn't have the time to do so. It's not convenient for me usually, but how was out there on a rare errand. Supposedly they have the best prices in town, but I've never really compared.

Supply and demand economics has really raised retail prices with supplies being really low. The first week after they canceled school in the spring I was in Rural King and bought a couple of boxes of cheap Tula .223 for $3.99 for a 20 round box. I hadn’t used it in the rifle before, so I just bought two boxes. I’ve seen online prices at $8.99 and up for the same ammo, but they are all showing out of stock.

VirginiaCat
08-04-2020, 08:46 AM
I’ve got four mags for my AR, I may get another one or two to have on hand. I need more 5.56, I’m getting a decent stockpile of 9mm.

Same here. 4 mags for my .223. 4 clips for my 9mm.

I really need a shotgun. Period.

KeithKSR
08-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Same here. 4 mags for my .223. 4 clips for my 9mm.

I really need a shotgun. Period.

I’m finding pump actions and automatics are in short supply in my area.

VirginiaCat
08-04-2020, 09:36 AM
I’m finding pump actions and automatics are in short supply in my area.

Same here unfortuneately.

BTW, anyone have a good AR-15 Speed loader they would reccomend?

VirginiaCat
08-04-2020, 10:06 AM
Found a speed loader I like and comes pretty highly recommended:

https://podavach.store/products/ar15-ak-u-loader

KeithKSR
08-04-2020, 02:48 PM
Found a speed loader I like and comes pretty highly recommended:

https://podavach.store/products/ar15-ak-u-loader

This one is quite similar, but cheaper to buy. https://rrsspeedloaders.com/products/ar-15-speed-loader-5-56-223-300-blackout

Here it is in action, along with a few others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIs3dv7J25o

The ETS loaders are very quick to use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idP73IuIrVI

Darrell KSR
08-04-2020, 06:00 PM
Anybody have a guess on when ammunition will be replenished in the stores? I mean, at reasonable prices?

I'm not desperate for ammunition, but next time that it floats back down to regular price and no restrictions, I will do a better job of getting more than I need. If there is such a thing.

KeithKSR
08-04-2020, 07:16 PM
Anybody have a guess on when ammunition will be replenished in the stores? I mean, at reasonable prices?

I'm not desperate for ammunition, but next time that it floats back down to regular price and no restrictions, I will do a better job of getting more than I need. If there is such a thing.

On the Sportsman’s Guide website one of those I looked at that is on backorder is expected to be restocked on October 20, another November 4th. A lot of YouTube gun guys who have opined expect shortages to last well into 2021, and perhaps longer depending on how the election goes in November.

Darrell KSR
08-04-2020, 07:44 PM
I was hoping for better news than that. I will need to get more, likely before the supply is fully replenished.

KeithKSR
08-04-2020, 09:21 PM
I was hoping for better news than that. I will need to get more, likely before the supply is fully replenished.

I’ve been adding boxes here and there as I find ammo that is relatively reasonable. Usually there are limits to how much can be purchased at once, so that creates another obstacle. If I find 9mm at 30 cents a round I’ll buy a couple of boxes. One shop I usually check out did have a 100 round limit on 9mm, now has a 1 box limit. I’ve gotten ammo there at $10.99 for Red Army, $12.99 for PMC Bronze, $13.99 for CCi Blazer and Federal. When I find it now with the 1 box limit I’ll send my wife in for a second box. I did pay up for a box of self defense reloads at $19/50. I thought that was a fair deal though as self defense ammo was over a buck a round in 20 round boxes before the shortage.

I’ve not done nearly as well locating ammo for my rifle. I’ve only stashed away five 20 round boxes since March, well, technically I’ve stashed away four boxes as I ran through a box of the Tula I bought for $3.99 to see how my AR liked it. I’d buy a 1000 rounds right now of the Tula at that price if I could. I have managed to get a couple of boxes of American Eagle at $8.99, which isn’t too much higher than pre pandemic pricing. I did over pay getting a box of $11.99 American Eagle at the small shop that was selling the 9mm Armscor for $30 on Gunbroker. Other gun shops I go to usually have a number of customers at any one time, that shop just had the owner in there and not another person in sight. I kind of felt sorry for the guy, he didn’t look like he was in very good health.

CitizenBBN
08-04-2020, 10:31 PM

I ordered up when this first started to smell like a crisis, but I will stock up again once there are some options.

I've decided I need even more than I thought. Maybe a lot more if things keep going this way.

Darrell KSR
08-05-2020, 11:39 AM
PSA at PSA...

I just picked up two boxes of Hornady critical defense 9mm for $25.99 a box. It's $8.50 shipping for one box, and apparently a flat rate, because that's what they charged me for two boxes.

I felt like $1.04 a round for self-defense ammo was a steal right now.

Palmetto State Armory Deal of the Day.

Darrell KSR
08-05-2020, 11:40 AM
Thanks to my buddy David down in Panama City for the tip text on the ammo.

Darrell KSR
08-05-2020, 01:08 PM
I apologize. Apparently 5 minutes after I placed my order, my buddy decided he would buy some for himself and they were already out of stock. I have received an email that my two boxes have shipped, so apparently I got in just under the wire. If he gives me any other heads-up, I will try to post it quickly. Man, that went quickly.

suncat05
08-05-2020, 01:58 PM
That Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty ammunition is good stuff.
I keep Critical Defense rounds in the Boss's gun, and in the L'il Boss's too.
I have the Critical Duty in mine.

I am also really fond of the Speer Gold Dot for short barrel handguns too.

The ballistics tests for both if the Hornady entries and the Gold Dot short barrel are very good. Either will work just fine.

Darrell KSR
08-05-2020, 04:09 PM
My buddy ended up getting some .40 caliber (3 boxes), and also paid $8.50 shipping.

CitizenBBN
08-05-2020, 06:20 PM
That Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty ammunition is good stuff.
I keep Critical Defense rounds in the Boss's gun, and in the L'il Boss's too.
I have the Critical Duty in mine.

I am also really fond of the Speer Gold Dot for short barrel handguns too.

The ballistics tests for both if the Hornady entries and the Gold Dot short barrel are very good. Either will work just fine.

I carry Speer Gold Dot in my 2" 357. The short barrel really reduces the overall power of a 357, but it's still more than a 38spl or a 38 +P, and if nothing else the noise is so loud out of it we'll all be deaf for days, if not forever if I ever have to fire it in the house.

suncat05
08-06-2020, 08:19 AM
I carry Speer Gold Dot in my 2" 357. The short barrel really reduces the overall power of a 357, but it's still more than a 38spl or a 38 +P, and if nothing else the noise is so loud out of it we'll all be deaf for days, if not forever if I ever have to fire it in the house.

Ka-BOOM!
Yeah, those .357 Magnums are some loud handguns when you squeeze that trigger.
I forgot to put my earplugs in one time at the range. And that was the last time I forgot to do that! 😉

KeithKSR
08-06-2020, 12:09 PM
Cheaper than Dirt apparently has plenty of 9mm in stock, but it definitely isn’t cheaper than dirt. The prices are absurd.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ammunition/handgun-ammo/9mm-luger-or-9x19mm/

Darrell KSR
08-06-2020, 02:29 PM
That's disappointing to see. I know, supply and demand and all that. But still, those prices are ridiculous. Oh well.

KeithKSR
08-06-2020, 03:24 PM
That's disappointing to see. I know, supply and demand and all that. But still, those prices are ridiculous. Oh well.

I can’t see how this behavior benefits them in the long run. When Cheaper Than Dirt pulled this same price hike in 2012 and early 2013 they lost customers that never returned. I imagine the excessive pricing will cost them customers once again.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2020, 07:25 PM
I can’t see how this behavior benefits them in the long run. When Cheaper Than Dirt pulled this same price hike in 2012 and early 2013 they lost customers that never returned. I imagine the excessive pricing will cost them customers once again.I'm not going to be anybody's best customer, but you can rest assured, they won't get my business. I hope others feel the same, and it sounds like they do.

CitizenBBN
08-06-2020, 09:22 PM
Gun folks are funny about gouging. Prices will go up, but as a company that's a bad idea.

If you're going to do it do it on gunbroker where you can just move on to another account when this is over. :)

KeithKSR
08-07-2020, 07:10 AM
Gun folks are funny about gouging. Prices will go up, but as a company that's a bad idea.

If you're going to do it do it on gunbroker where you can just move on to another account when this is over. :)

At least at auctions at Gunbroker if you pay too much you are part of the group setting the prices.

Darrell KSR
08-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Got 100 rounds of Federal 9mm for 0.42 a round at my hidden gem place. (Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer). That's higher but not gouging.

KeithKSR
08-07-2020, 03:43 PM
Got 100 rounds of Federal 9mm for 0.42 a round at my hidden gem place. (Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer). That's higher but not gouging.

My wife picked me up a 100 round box in our neighboring small town to our East for $29.95, just a shade under 32 cents a round with taxes. She was in Morehead today, a shop there had 9mm for $39.95 in what she thought was a 100 round box, and 5.56 for $15 for a box of 20. I passed on those, much pricier than I have been paying. We have to go to Louisville early Monday, I think I’ll map out on some stops on the return trip.

Darrell KSR
08-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Be sure and post what you find--good or bad, it helps with keeping track.

I don't think I can find any better deals around me than what I got today. And there wasn't much of it. I didn't need much, but that helped my feelings a bit to get it. And left some for others. I think I got the last 100 round box, but they had 50 round boxes for about the same price per round. MagTech was the same price.

KeithKSR
08-07-2020, 07:01 PM
Be sure and post what you find--good or bad, it helps with keeping track.

I don't think I can find any better deals around me than what I got today. And there wasn't much of it. I didn't need much, but that helped my feelings a bit to get it. And left some for others. I think I got the last 100 round box, but they had 50 round boxes for about the same price per round. MagTech was the same price.

I will. It looks like Cabelas starts out a lot of days with some limited stock in the Lexington store, but by mid day it is gone. I can’t figure out what Sportsman’s Warehouse has at any time.

KeithKSR
08-10-2020, 01:51 PM
Not much to report from Lexington’s two big box outdoors stores. Sportsman’s Warehouse was out of most popular handgun rounds. They did have some boxes of 10mm, and they did have some 7.62x52 (.308) and 6.5 Creedmoor in bulk cans. They had an assortment of higher priced centerfire rifle ammo $35-$40+. They had a decent assortment of field and target shotgun ammo. I picked up a box of #6 .410 in case my 8 year old grandson has a hankering to try to get him some bushy tails. They had one box of 20 .223, it was a bit pricey at $30, so I passed on it. No 9mm to be had.

Cabela’s didn’t have much by way of popular handgun ammo, though they did have some .40 S&W. They had a decent stock of hunting rounds suitable for white tails in a variety of price ranges. They Did have CCI .22LR at $7.99/100 and a variety of other types of .22, including magnum, shorts, etc. they had a good supply of .17. I picked up one of the boxes of .22LR, and added a box of .30-06, just in case it isn’t plentiful latter this fall.

Darrell KSR
08-10-2020, 01:58 PM
Thanks, Keith.

Buddy of mine tells me that Palmetto State has Speer 9mm for $0.40 a round right now if anybody needs any.

catmanjack
08-10-2020, 02:38 PM
Not a gun enthusiast but have decided it might be time to get a gun, I get what suncat said about rifles and shotguns but I just was a hand gun.
Live in Louisville so looking for a range to get started also was thinking about a 9 mm.
Would that be a good start?

blueboss
08-10-2020, 03:20 PM
Not a gun enthusiast but have decided it might be time to get a gun, I get what suncat said about rifles and shotguns but I just was a hand gun.
Live in Louisville so looking for a range to get started also was thinking about a 9 mm.
Would that be a good start?

Go to Knob Creek gun range. Rent what you think you might want, try’m out on the range, then start shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catmanjack
08-10-2020, 03:52 PM
Not a bad idea

KeithKSR
08-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Keith.

Buddy of mine tells me that Palmetto State has Speer 9mm for $0.40 a round right now if anybody needs any.

If you are in need of 9mm that may be the new going rate. 30 cents a round has been a good price for over a month. Supplies definitely are not increasing.

KeithKSR
08-10-2020, 03:56 PM
Not a bad idea

Trying out different handguns gives you a good feel for what fits you the best.

CitizenBBN
08-10-2020, 05:31 PM
If you have the luxury definitely go to a range. How experienced are you with handguns? I don't want to presume but it sounds like not a lot at least for handguns. FWIW that's typical of most people even in Kentucky, as I myself grew up with long guns and didn't really start shooting handguns until the last 10-15 years with any regularity.

dan_bgblue
08-10-2020, 08:18 PM
If you shoot a frog with a 22 short HP in the right spot every time they don't jump into the water. If you miss that spot then you spend a lot of time in the water trying to locate the frog. Lot easier to pack a pistol than it is to carry around a rifle.

CitizenBBN
08-10-2020, 09:43 PM
We used air rifles for frogs. :)

Now I shoot more pistol than long gun, but in the day on the farm it was always long guns. Some of that is safety. Hard for a 6 or 7 year old to shoot himself with a bolt action 22 I suppose.

KentuckyWildcat
08-10-2020, 10:42 PM
Go to Knob Creek gun range. Rent what you think you might want, try’m out on the range, then start shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDon't send him there. You never know when a Syrian vs Turkey fire fight might break out.

CitizenBBN
08-10-2020, 10:44 PM
Don't send him there. You never know when a Syrian vs Turkey fire fight might break out.

Brilliant. :unworthy:

suncat05
08-11-2020, 02:07 AM
Don't send him there. You never know when a Syrian vs Turkey fire fight might break out.

Have not lived in KY since the early 80's. May I ask for a little insight into the above referenced comment, please?

KentuckyWildcat
08-11-2020, 08:48 AM
Have not lived in KY since the early 80's. May I ask for a little insight into the above referenced comment, please?

Here you go:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/business/media/turkey-syria-kentucky-gun-range.html

KeithKSR
08-11-2020, 10:18 AM
Here you go:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/business/media/turkey-syria-kentucky-gun-range.html

What’s funny about the use of that video was all the people at the bottom of the frame recording with their phones.

Darrell KSR
08-11-2020, 10:26 AM
That is hysterical.

suncat05
08-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Here you go:

Thank you!
I know about Knob Creek, have been there several times in the past.
However, I did not know about this blunder by ABC. But I'm not surprised, considering what passes for journalism these days.
Thanks again for laying out the context! I appreciate you! 👍

KentuckyWildcat
08-11-2020, 11:37 AM
Thank you!
I know about Knob Creek, have been there several times in the past.
However, I did not know about this blunder by ABC. But I'm not surprised, considering what passes for journalism these days.
Thanks again for laying out the context! I appreciate you! ��

My pleasure :)

KeithKSR
08-11-2020, 03:29 PM
Btw, KentuckyWildcat, 7.62x39 is still available. It’s gone up a bit, but is still out there in the 40-45 cents a round range.

KentuckyWildcat
08-11-2020, 05:15 PM
Btw, KentuckyWildcat, 7.62x39 is still available. It’s gone up a bit, but is still out there in the 40-45 cents a round range.Thanks. Actually picked up 2 boxes today

KeithKSR
08-11-2020, 05:34 PM
Thanks. Actually picked up 2 boxes today

If AR uppers were more available I’d be tempted to have an AR built in 7.62x39. I like the round, it isn’t a long range round, but it has good knock down ability for its size.

KentuckyWildcat
08-11-2020, 05:36 PM
This also worked for me. I ordered some from Optics Planet a while back. It was out of stock, but they said they would fill the order when it came in. Probably 6-8 weeks later it came and I was not charged until then. This is my only experience with Optics Planet but it worked out.

KentuckyWildcat
08-11-2020, 05:39 PM
If AR uppers were more available I’d be tempted to have an AR built in 7.62x39. I like the round, it isn’t a long range round, but it has good knock down ability for its size.

If you get that urge, look into the KS-47 from PSA. I love mine. Not a true AR but it takes AK mags instead of those modified mags. I think you are in Kentucky, but not sure where? If you are ever near Muhlenberg you are welcome to shoot it.

CitizenBBN
08-11-2020, 08:30 PM
Btw, KentuckyWildcat, 7.62x39 is still available. It’s gone up a bit, but is still out there in the 40-45 cents a round range.

Wow. I paid .21 for my spam cans at the start of this and that was a bit high.

Darrell KSR
08-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Sounds like all ammunition is going to be price hiked for a good while. I have no idea of the capacity, but I wish I had an ammunition factory right about now. Obviously they can sell whatever they make.

CitizenBBN
08-11-2020, 11:25 PM
Sounds like all ammunition is going to be price hiked for a good while. I have no idea of the capacity, but I wish I had an ammunition factory right about now. Obviously they can sell whatever they make.

Looking that way.

If all hell breaks loose I think I have enough to survive until I can confiscate more. :)

But now I wish I'd laid in even more. Don't we all?

Darrell KSR
08-12-2020, 02:49 AM
Looking that way.

If all hell breaks loose I think I have enough to survive until I can confiscate more. :)

But now I wish I'd laid in even more. Don't we all?I've had no real desire to go down to the shooting range. Until now, when I see that the target ammo I would shoot has become difficult to obtain. Funny how it works that way.

If I could find some old time less than $0.30 around 9 mm, I would buy several times what I have right now, which I think is sufficient for me. But I'm not wanting to go "waste" any of it currently. So, yeah, absolutely I wish I had bought more back when.

KeithKSR
08-12-2020, 10:53 AM
Wow. I paid .21 for my spam cans at the start of this and that was a bit high.

Aim Surplus has some Wolf for about 27 cents a round right now, plus whatever shipping is for them.

CitizenBBN
08-12-2020, 06:56 PM
Aim Surplus has some Wolf for about 27 cents a round right now, plus whatever shipping is for them.

I may buy some more. I need more 9mm but that's too high for volume right now.

BTW as a dealer I have accounts with 3-4 different wholesalers. First, I typically get it as cheap or cheaper even regularly with the online stores, and right now it's FAR cheaper than the wholesalers, if it's available with them at all. I get ads pushing their non-standard stuff b/c that's not moving too fast, mostly less used hunting rifle calibers, but forget the main calibers.

KeithKSR
08-13-2020, 02:09 PM
I may buy some more. I need more 9mm but that's too high for volume right now.

BTW as a dealer I have accounts with 3-4 different wholesalers. First, I typically get it as cheap or cheaper even regularly with the online stores, and right now it's FAR cheaper than the wholesalers, if it's available with them at all. I get ads pushing their non-standard stuff b/c that's not moving too fast, mostly less used hunting rifle calibers, but forget the main calibers.

The cheaper stuff has gone way up. Just about any 9mm can be resold for $14-$15 for a box of 50 now. My wife called from a local gun/pawnshop late last week, she found some 9mm at $29.95/100. I didn’t hesitate in having her get a box at that price. I’m getting a decent little stash of 9mm built up. I’d like to pick up some .223. I didn’t have much in the stash when it became hard to get.

KeithKSR
08-17-2020, 10:38 AM
I’ve gotten into the habit of checking out ammo prices when I can. Prices continue to climb and a lot of calibers are getting harder to find. If you need more ammo to make you feel comfortable, given the riots and other potential disorder, then purchase it when you can.

I was in Ashland on Saturday. I was at Dunham’s when they opened hoping their sale items would be available. They advertised 9mm FMJ for $10.99 per box of 50, and Federal .223 for $44.99 per box of 100; both were advertised as “assortment varies by store.“ They had nothing in stock, but the manager told me when to call back to see if it is on the next truck. They did have some .22 LR in stock, but not the 525 bulk box that was on sale for $22.99.

I stopped at Borders’ Sporting Goods after that. They had Federal Lake City 5.56 for $14.99/20. This ammo was in plastic bags, and the girl at the cash register was counting it out from what looked like maybe a 640 round box and bagging it. The price may seem steep, but I’ve been seeing bulk Federal ammo at nearly $700/1000. The Federal 9mm FMJ I got for $12.99 a few weeks ago is now priced at $16.99. I broke down and purchased a few packages of the 5.56; they had it and I didn’t. I’ve got a decent stash of 9mm, so passed on it.

Rural King had a nice stock of 12 gauge target loads, just as about every other box store has. They had no pistol rounds of any kind, and no .223/5.56. They did have 40 round boxes of 7.62x39 FMJ for $7.99. I grabbed a box of it for my SKS. 7.62x39 remains available, I see it on shelves with varying prices. They had some .22LR as well, I believe it was Aguila for $4.99/50.

Later in the day I bought a 20 round box of 9mm JHP Sig V-Crown at a local shop for $18. 90 cents a round for quality self defense ammo was a good price months ago. They also had 7.62x39 on the shelf, I passed on another box of it. I need to see how many I have on hand. I like the 7.62x39 round, it is a good multipurpose round for defense, plinking, varmints, and using hollow points the round has killed a lot of deers since the SKS hit the shelves for less than $100 30 or so years ago.

If you are in the market for a handgun and you want it right now your best option may be a Walther p22, Glock 44 or a similar semiautomatic that takes .22 LR ammo. The ammo is still available, relatively cheap, and you can buy some higher end .22 LR rounds that have better ballistics than chucking rocks at someone trying to harm you.

There are some shotguns available out there, just not many of the home defense variety with shorter barrels. If you look you can find some decent rounds of 00 buckshot, slugs, #4 buck, or if you need lots of rounds the target loads and bird loads are out there in good supply.

If you want a handgun and ammo to feed it your best bet may be to check out small shops, a lot of times they will hold ammo off the shelves so they can supply buyers with a box of ammo when they make a sale, big box stores don’t do this.

KeithKSR
08-19-2020, 01:38 PM
Update: Dunham’s truck was running late, so it was this morning before everything was unpacked. They didn’t receive any of the Federal .223, which was a huge disappointment. They did receive a case of 9mm, but since they got in so little they were choosing to limit it to one box per customer. I could have taken my wife with me and possibly have snatched a couple of boxes, but a special trip to Ashland would eat up the bulk of the savings.

Borders in Ashland received a pallet of Federal .223 FMJ in 400 round ammo boxes and are selling it for $299.99 a box. At 75 cents a round this is higher than what I can order it directly from Federal at http://www.federalpremium.com/. I went ahead and placed an order for some Federal. Given the current state of things I figured paying a little more and having it on hand would be better than needing it and not having it.

dan_bgblue
08-20-2020, 07:49 PM
I sure hope you get the shipment from Federal before first of the year. I ordered a single shot .410 from a local dealer first week of June and they showed me on their computer screen that the wholesaler had 2 of them in stock and they ordered both of them. They and me are still waiting on them to arrive. :mad0176:

KeithKSR
08-21-2020, 09:09 AM
I sure hope you get the shipment from Federal before first of the year. I ordered a single shot .410 from a local dealer first week of June and they showed me on their computer screen that the wholesaler had 2 of them in stock and they ordered both of them. They and me are still waiting on them to arrive. :mad0176:

My son-in-law bought one of the Rossi single shots around Father’s Day to use as a truck/ATV gun. Rural King had them in stock, as does Bud’s.

My Federal order processed through my bank account over night, that should mean my order is ready to ship.

KentuckyWildcat
08-21-2020, 11:17 AM
I'd like to get a 410 for my wife. She has never shot a gun, but I feel like that would be a good starter.

KeithKSR
08-21-2020, 12:15 PM
I'd like to get a 410 for my wife. She has never shot a gun, but I feel like that would be a good starter.

My 8 year old grandson has no issues with the .410, but loves shooting .22LR rifles and single action revolvers.

dan_bgblue
08-21-2020, 01:39 PM
RK is out of stock as is Buds in Lexington and Greenville. They do have at least one in Seviervlle, TN though. I wanted a cheap one and this one sure fits the bill. Want to cut the 28 inch barrel down to 19 inches.

KentuckyWildcat
08-21-2020, 03:07 PM
RK is out of stock as is Buds in Lexington and Greenville.

I refer to it as Uncle Bud's now. It will never be Uncle Lee's!

KentuckyWildcat
08-21-2020, 03:10 PM
My 8 year old grandson has no issues with the .410, but loves shooting .22LR rifles and single action revolvers.

Met in her 2002 and last year I finally got her to shoot a take down bow. Progress at least. I figure in another 10 years I might get her to shoot a gun.

KeithKSR
08-21-2020, 04:06 PM
RK is out of stock as is Buds in Lexington and Greenville. They do have at least one in Seviervlle, TN though. I wanted a cheap one and this one sure fits the bill. Want to cut the 28 inch barrel down to 19 inches.

The little Rossi the SIL bought has a very short barrel on it, 18.5 inches. Here is what he got, it can be ordered and sent to your local RK: https://www.rkguns.com/rossi-tuffy-single-shot-410-gauge-break-action-18-5-shotgun-od-green-ss4111813od.html

KeithKSR
08-26-2020, 09:30 PM
Cabelas had Winchester white box 9mm for $12.99 today. I tried to place an order, got to the confirm order part and it was out of stock.

Darrell KSR
08-26-2020, 09:34 PM
Cabelas had Winchester white box 9mm for $12.99 today. I tried to place an order, got to the confirm order part and it was out of stock.Shoot! Close!

I'll start trying to check there too.

KeithKSR
08-26-2020, 11:39 PM
Shoot! Close!

I'll start trying to check there too.

If you have a local store find out when they get their trucks in. The guys at the Lexington store told me last Friday to check back on Saturday morning, so their trucks must arrive late Friday or early Saturday. I can’t justify a 180 mile round trip just to pick up ammo, at least not in the amounts they are likely to allow.

Darrell KSR
08-27-2020, 12:40 PM
I don't have a Cabela's, but I do have a Bass Pro Shop here. It's not terribly close to where I live, but I get out there occasionally and will check.

KeithKSR
08-27-2020, 08:24 PM
I don't have a Cabela's, but I do have a Bass Pro Shop here. It's not terribly close to where I live, but I get out there occasionally and will check.

They are basically the same store, same prices, same store brands.

KeithKSR
09-05-2020, 12:30 PM
Went into the nearby Dunham’s yesterday. They had a nice stock of 40 S&W, and some 7.62x39 and some overpriced .22LR. No 9mm or .223/5.56.

Stopped at a gun shop to check on the availability of the elusive semi auto home defense shotgun. Checked their ammo prices. FMJ 9mm was priced at $17.99 and $18.99 a box. They had .223/5.56 FMJ at $18.99 and $19.99 for a 20 round box, ten round stripped clips and bagged Federal for $9.99. I passed on those prices, as I’ve been paying a lot less for both and Federal’s website still has .223 listed at the msrp price of $13.99 per box of 20. Still awaiting my Federal order from August 19th, they said on the website there are 12-15 day backlogs when I ordered it, today makes day 17, so hopefully it ships soon.

Darrell KSR
09-05-2020, 03:39 PM
Keith, was the 9mm a standard 50 round box, 0.36-0.38 per round?

KeithKSR
09-05-2020, 04:39 PM
Keith, was the 9mm a standard 50 round box, 0.36-0.38 per round?

Yes, all of it was 50 round boxes. The $18.99 boxes were Geco, I bought two boxes of it at the Winchester Rural King for $13.99 a box two weeks ago. Compared to Cheaper than Dirt those are probably bargain prices.

The $17.99 boxes were reloaded HP, and not FMJ.

One positive note is that the shop had more ammo than it had the last few times I was in there.

Darrell KSR
09-05-2020, 07:39 PM
Maybe that's a good sign. Thanks for the updates. I'll try to get by next week and contribute.

KeithKSR
09-05-2020, 08:46 PM
Maybe that's a good sign. Thanks for the updates. I'll try to get by next week and contribute.

I don’t know if their prices have resulted in less purchases, or if people have stocked up and slowed their buying. I suspect it may be the former. A gun shop half a mile down the road has better pricing at $16.99 for 9mm and $14.99 for the .223/5.56.

suncat05
09-07-2020, 09:53 AM
I am going through stuff here at the house in preparation for our move to our new house.
I just found about a thousand rounds of 9 mm that I had accumulated at different times throughout the last several years.
And some .40 S&W. And some 7.62 x 39, and also several thousand rounds of 5.56 mm.
I am so fortunate! 😉

suncat05
09-07-2020, 09:59 AM
And some .357 magnum & .38 special rounds too! 👍

bigsky
09-07-2020, 10:17 AM
I am actually thinking of reducing my various caliber requirements because of the ammunition issues, including storage. 9mm always seemed a likely compromise, big pistol, little pistol, carbine. And .22 of course has subsonic in addition to regular LR. But then I like wheel guns too, especially my little .38/357 Kimber hammerless for wandering around snake and varmit country. And let's face it, after watching various real life situations lately on you tube, I am thinking a .45 might be a better choice than 9mm for big pistol. Then there's various shotguns from 410 and up. So nah I guess I've talked myself out of that.

dan_bgblue
09-07-2020, 10:31 AM
I am going through stuff here at the house in preparation for our move to our new house.
I just found about a thousand rounds of 9 mm that I had accumulated at different times throughout the last several years.
And some .40 S&W. And some 7.62 x 39, and also several thousand rounds of 5.56 mm.
I am so fortunate! ��

Good fire protection is a must at your household

suncat05
09-07-2020, 02:34 PM
Good fire protection is a must at your household

Uh, YEAH! 😉

CitizenBBN
09-07-2020, 03:25 PM
I should have bought up 9mm when I got my others. I have some, but would have bought a bunch more had I thought about it.

KeithKSR
09-08-2020, 08:35 PM
I should have bought up 9mm when I got my others. I have some, but would have bought a bunch more had I thought about it.

I’ve managed to collect about a thousand rounds of 9mm since I bought my Glock in April. Prices varied from 21 to 28 cents a round for FMJ. I got a 20 round box of Speer HP for self defense that was higher, but at $17.50 was still pretty reasonable.

5.56 on the other hand hasn’t been as easy to locate, at something resembling a reasonable price. The shop I was in the other day had a nice little jag on hand, but $1 a round for 5.56 is too high. I placed an order with Federal on August 19th, and I’m still waiting on it. I’d feel a lot better with that stash if I had a thousand or two thousand rounds, preferably at reasonable prices.

I don’t keep much revolver ammo on hand, that may be a hole I need to fill in 2021.

KeithKSR
09-11-2020, 08:10 PM
My Federal order that I submitted on August 19th finally shipped today, should arrive on Monday.

I got an email from RK Guns (Rural King). They had .223 Winchester on sale for $429.99 for a 1000 round case. They sold must have sold out really quick, the website doesn’t show them in stock.

KeithKSR
09-14-2020, 02:29 PM
My Federal order that I submitted on August 19th finally shipped today, should arrive on Monday.

I got an email from RK Guns (Rural King). They had .223 Winchester on sale for $429.99 for a 1000 round case. They sold must have sold out really quick, the website doesn’t show them in stock.

I received the order today, five days short of a month after I ordered it. The boxes the ammo was packaged in were white generic looking boxes with black print, not the normal colorful Federal boxes. I’ve noticed that most of the gun shops are selling Federal ammo repackaged into plastic bags from bulk boxes. I may be wrong, but it certainly appears that packaging materials aren’t able to keep up with demand.

I have also noticed that 9mm isn’t available for back order on most sites at this time. A lot of the supply is pre-sold for the next several months, which will drive up street prices for what is hitting the shops.

Big box stores may be your best option. Academy is apparently still getting regular shipments, unfortunately for me the Louisville store is over two hours away. Cabelas in Lexington is also getting ammo in, but it sells out fast. If you live in an area near a big box store talk to the guys at the gun counters to find out when their trucks run.

Darrell KSR
09-14-2020, 02:31 PM
I need to take my car to the dealer for a recall on paint. It probably won't be this week, but it might be. Anyway, it is halfway to the Bass Pro shop and when I do I will go there and check.

KeithKSR
09-14-2020, 02:33 PM
I need to take my car to the dealer for a recall on paint. It probably won't be this week, but it might be. Anyway, it is halfway to the Bass Pro shop and when I do I will go there and check.

You can look online for some stuff and have it ready to pick up at Bass Pro. What they have listed online doesn’t always match the stores, but usually if it says you can buy online it is available.

Darrell KSR
09-14-2020, 08:48 PM
Remington 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
American Eagle 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Federal 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Winchester white box 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Blazer 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Winchester (Train & Defend) 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Federal American Eagle Syntech 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Sig FMJ 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery

I'll still stop by and see if online just doesn't have everything. That wasn't all of them, but I think it was all of the non-person defense 9mm they had. I didn't check any other calibers.

KeithKSR
09-14-2020, 11:15 PM
Remington 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
American Eagle 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Federal 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Winchester white box 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Blazer 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Winchester (Train & Defend) 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Federal American Eagle Syntech 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery
Sig FMJ 9mm - OOS for pickup and delivery

I'll still stop by and see if online just doesn't have everything. That wasn't all of them, but I think it was all of the non-person defense 9mm they had. I didn't check any other calibers.

A couple of weeks ago the Cabelas site had the Winchester white box in stock, so I attempted to place an order. It let me place items in the cart, but each time I went to checkout it would tell me the quantity wasn’t available. It goes quick when it is available.

Darrell KSR
09-15-2020, 04:40 PM
Uhh, no thanks.

This may end up being the going rate, but I'm not buying at that price.96729673

KeithKSR
09-15-2020, 05:53 PM
Wow! SGAMMO must be awfully proud of that ammo. The last 9mm I bought about three weeks ago was $13.99 for a 50 round box. Week before last I saw it for $16.99 in a small shop, thought that was too high for my taste.

CitizenBBN
09-15-2020, 06:23 PM
Depends on how bad you want to hold off the millennial numskulls, er.... zombies....

They've got some .22 listed for $50 a box, some as high as $100 a box of 500.

I didn't lay in as much 9mm as I would like, but I did lay in some 22 before this went nuts. When the price comes down to normal I'm going on a big buy.

Darrell KSR
09-15-2020, 07:00 PM
Well, I paid $0.42 a round for the last 9mm couple boxes I bought. That's more than I'd like to pay, but I felt like it was going to be a decent price, all things considered (no shipping, from local store, etc.). So I'm paying more than the $0.30-$0.35 I'd like to pay. But I'm not paying $0.60.

KeithKSR
09-15-2020, 07:38 PM
Well, I paid $0.42 a round for the last 9mm couple boxes I bought. That's more than I'd like to pay, but I felt like it was going to be a decent price, all things considered (no shipping, from local store, etc.). So I'm paying more than the $0.30-$0.35 I'd like to pay. But I'm not paying $0.60.

I may pick up a couple more boxes if I can get it for around 40 cents or less a round. I’d like to get a little more trigger time in on the targets before November rolls around.

CitizenBBN
09-15-2020, 09:13 PM

You're an attorney. Bill it back as client research or something.

KeithKSR
09-16-2020, 10:50 AM

Then deduct it as office supplies.

Darrell KSR
09-16-2020, 10:53 AM
lol! Good ideas!

suncat05
09-17-2020, 07:19 AM

I like how you guys improvise, adapt, and overcome.
But then, you're my people, and that's how we roll! 😉 👍

KeithKSR
09-17-2020, 09:04 AM
I received an email alert that some .223 was in stock, by the time I read the email it had sold out.

KeithKSR
09-17-2020, 01:35 PM
Prices from FB at Border’s in Ashland. 380ACP $18.99 & 40S&W $19.99 per 50. 9mm FMJ $65.99 per 200 round box. 22LR $26.99 per 500 round box. All of it is Winchester, so it is name brand stuff. I’m in Ashland today, so I may stop by and see what else they have.

CitizenBBN
09-17-2020, 01:48 PM
Fair prices.

If you find someone willing to sell 9mm in 1K blocks for a decent price let me know. I'll take all they have. ;)

I thought about going shooting this past holiday, but my Uzi chews up way too much ammo for the current climate. Thinking a nice game of billiards instead.

Darrell KSR
09-17-2020, 02:00 PM
Reasonable prices.

I'm near Hoover Tactical today at an eye appointment, and when I'm done I'll stop in there. I doubt they'll have anything but I'll check.

KeithKSR
09-17-2020, 02:34 PM
I opted not to stop to see what else they had, the wife ran into Walmart and that chewed up a lot of time. That shop always seems to have ammo, sometimes they have to price it a bit higher because of the wholesale prices being jacked up, but they try to keep it on the shelf. I’ve bought quite a bit of my 9mm there.

Darrell KSR
09-17-2020, 04:07 PM
No good news from Hoover Tactical. Nothing for the general public in 22, 38, 40, 9 mm or 45.

I don't have anything that use 223 but I saw some boxes for 29.99, I think of 20? 55 grain.

KeithKSR
09-17-2020, 05:33 PM
No good news from Hoover Tactical. Nothing for the general public in 22, 38, 40, 9 mm or 45.

I don't have anything that use 223 but I saw some boxes for 29.99, I think of 20? 55 grain.

That’s a big price for .223.

Darrell KSR
09-17-2020, 08:17 PM
That’s a big price for .223.And the shelves nearly bare of that. Depressing.

Hopefully Bass Pro Shop will be better.

Simmons here locally has been my go-to... It's in Bessemer, not convenient at all (near Bright Star Restaurant, a local legend), but they've had good supply and reasonable enough prices when others don't. I may have to break down and drive there.

Darrell KSR
09-19-2020, 12:40 AM
Man, I thought I hit the lottery tonight. I was looking at Cabelas website and ran across the Winchester white box 9 mm, 100 rounds, $24.99. It seemed to be in stock on my phone, and I threw four boxes in the cart quickly. At the same time, I logged on the computer site and it showed it was out of stock for home delivery or for store delivery (as Keith mentioned, Bass Pro shop and Cabelas are owned by the same company now and store delivery includes the Bass Pro shop here in Leeds). Anyway, although the computer showed it out of stock, the phone/mobile version continue to show it in stock and I entered home delivery first, seeing that there was a $20 delivery charge, I changed it to delivery in-store for pickup. I'd rather do that anyway. Anyhow, it took my credit card information and got to the very end before it told me that it had insufficient inventory.

I went back and dropped it to two boxes, and now I am getting the same out of stock message as is shown on the computer. I tried one box, and the same out of stock message is also shown. I don't know if there was a slight window of opportunity that I missed out on, or, more likely, some minor mobile glitch that made it appear to have inventory when it did not. If I get bored tomorrow, I may take a ride out there and see what they have.

KeithKSR
09-19-2020, 02:09 PM
Man, I thought I hit the lottery tonight. I was looking at Cabelas website and ran across the Winchester white box 9 mm, 100 rounds, $24.99. It seemed to be in stock on my phone, and I threw four boxes in the cart quickly. At the same time, I logged on the computer site and it showed it was out of stock for home delivery or for store delivery (as Keith mentioned, Bass Pro shop and Cabelas are owned by the same company now and store delivery includes the Bass Pro shop here in Leeds). Anyway, although the computer showed it out of stock, the phone/mobile version continue to show it in stock and I entered home delivery first, seeing that there was a $20 delivery charge, I changed it to delivery in-store for pickup. I'd rather do that anyway. Anyhow, it took my credit card information and got to the very end before it told me that it had insufficient inventory.

I went back and dropped it to two boxes, and now I am getting the same out of stock message as is shown on the computer. I tried one box, and the same out of stock message is also shown. I don't know if there was a slight window of opportunity that I missed out on, or, more likely, some minor mobile glitch that made it appear to have inventory when it did not. If I get bored tomorrow, I may take a ride out there and see what they have.

That’s the same issue I ran into when I Thought I found some in stock. Last time I was in Cabelas the guy at the gun counter told me their website is slow to update availability.

suncat05
09-19-2020, 02:44 PM
If it's any consolation, I have plenty of ammo, and no, none of it is for sale.
That is all! Carry on! 😉

CitizenBBN
09-19-2020, 03:55 PM
No "real" gun guy ever has enough ammo. ;)

I thought I was good on some categories, but after this year's lunacy I'm raising the bar.

suncat05
09-19-2020, 04:14 PM
No "real" gun guy ever has enough ammo. ;)

I thought I was good on some categories, but after this year's lunacy I'm raising the bar.

I am that guy that will take the ammo off of the dead guy and thank him for dying so that I can take it.
When in Rome, roll like the Romans. 😎

Darrell KSR
09-19-2020, 04:15 PM
No hand gun ammo at Bass Pro Shop in person, either. Took a break after Tulane blew their football game to go for a drive, and ended up here.

They had some Winchester 223, 40 grain varmint load for, $20.99, still more than $1/round.

Unless I find a unicorn, I'm done for months, I think. Hopefully at some point supply will catch up.

Darrell KSR
09-20-2020, 02:30 PM
I got an email from GunBroker that they had ammunition in stock. I clicked on 9mm and this is the first thing that came up.

Like I said, I am completely done unless I find a unicorn, until supply catches up with demand. For all I know, that may be years. I will not be doing any target shooting, which is a shame because that is needed.9696

Darrell KSR
09-20-2020, 03:57 PM
I may go to my go to place Monday in Bessemer. I'm not going to be in the neighborhood or anything, but I will be about halfway there and closer than I am 90% of the time. If they have any more 9 mm for the same price I bought it at last time, I'll pick up my last supply for now. I really would like to have about 500 more rounds for practice purposes for the next 6 months or so but beggars can't be choosers.

I might pick up another box of 2 of 45 as well, although I think I'm okay on that. I only have one handgun that is 45, and it uses 6 round magazines, so I use it for particular purposes. The only high capacity handgun I have is a 9 mm , so that's why I would like to have more of it.

Darrell KSR
09-21-2020, 06:42 AM
Simmons has 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $699.

They did a Facebook video Saturday and one of the customers posted that in the comments. There were several comments asking when they were going to get in 9mm, so I won't be going today after all.

KeithKSR
09-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Simmons has 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $699.

They did a Facebook video Saturday and one of the customers posted that in the comments. There were several comments asking when they were going to get in 9mm, so I won't be going today after all.

Right now it looks like most places are $15+ for 5.56/.223 in 20 round boxes, so if you want a thousand rounds and want it now that is about the going rate I am seeing. If you are willing to back order it is a lot cheaper, but the back order dates are mostly in November.

Darrell KSR
09-21-2020, 06:05 PM
I got an email from GunBroker that they had ammunition in stock. I clicked on 9mm and this is the first thing that came up.

Like I said, I am completely done unless I find a unicorn, until supply catches up with demand. For all I know, that may be years. I will not be doing any target shooting, which is a shame because that is needed.9696

Just for the heck of it, I went back to look at these...at $0.60 a round, definitely more than I want to spend. But I found myself looking...unfortunately (fortunately?) they were out of it (again). Again, I put myself on the email list for when it gets back in stock.

CitizenBBN
09-21-2020, 06:14 PM
Just checked sgammo.com for kicks. Site is down "for a few hours" due to overwhelming order volume.

I have to assume gun ranges are hurting b/c I can't imagine anyone using up their ammo right now.

Darrell KSR
09-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Just checked sgammo.com for kicks. Site is down "for a few hours" due to overwhelming order volume.

I have to assume gun ranges are hurting b/c I can't imagine anyone using up their ammo right now.I went to Hoover Tactical the other day that has the indoor range. It was deserted.

KeithKSR
09-21-2020, 06:32 PM

I have to assume gun ranges are hurting b/c I can't imagine anyone using up their ammo right now.

I don’t know how they can have an overwhelming volume of orders. They have had nearly no inventory. The last time I checked their site over the weekend they had no 9mm in stock and only one or two types of 5.56/.223 that was about $700 a thousand. Other pistol calibers were about like the 9mm.

CitizenBBN
09-21-2020, 06:34 PM
That confused me as well. Maybe they got an order in was my only guess, or they have no inventory and decided to just take a big coffee break. lol

Darrell KSR
09-21-2020, 08:07 PM
Just fwiw, here's an article on the shortage, why there's a shortage (multiple reasons), how long it is expected to continue, etc.

Cliff note summary - expect 12 months for full inventory to return, 24 months for prices to return. (And that's assuming no zombie apocalypse).

Article from July - Why is the ammo gone?

https://www-recoilweb-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.recoilweb.com/why-is-the-ammo-gone-162059.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16007364015088&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.recoilweb.com%2Fwhy-is-the-ammo-gone-162059.html

Darrell KSR
09-21-2020, 10:26 PM
I took a flyer and bought a few hundred more rounds of 9 mm from Optic Planets online. I know they have a very hit-or-miss reputation, but most of the time they seem to come through, just very very slow.

It is supposed to take about 30 days to get to me, but with free shipping, Winchester 115 grain at $0.32 a round, I thought it was worth it.

CitizenBBN
09-21-2020, 11:33 PM
Thinking of getting some Makarov. Hadn't planned on stocking it but I have a couple of Makarov pistols and I can get some.

KeithKSR
09-22-2020, 09:23 AM
I took a flyer and bought a few hundred more rounds of 9 mm from Optic Planets online. I know they have a very hit-or-miss reputation, but most of the time they seem to come through, just very very slow.

It is supposed to take about 30 days to get to me, but with free shipping, Winchester 115 grain at $0.32 a round, I thought it was worth it.

Their prices aren’t bad, especially with the free shipping.

KeithKSR
09-22-2020, 09:27 AM
Thinking of getting some Makarov. Hadn't planned on stocking it but I have a couple of Makarov pistols and I can get some.

A month ago 9x18 was available most places online, but Makarov and CZ pistols are up into the $400-$450 range.

Darrell KSR
09-22-2020, 01:40 PM
Just took stock of what I have.

I'm fine with 9mm target and self-defense. Better in 30 days, but ok now.

I'm ok with 45 target and self-defense. Bigger need there is self-defense, and have plenty for what I have.

I'm ok with 38. I have a couple of S&W 640s, and have plenty for them, with even "some" self-defense for carry.

I have well more .22 than I thought I had. I only have one .22 handgun with a single stack magazine, and only one of those. I guess I need a 10/22 or other .22 rifle. And more magazines. I may need to see if my brother has a .22 rifle he isn't using. He has long guns, I have handguns. He's a hunter, I'm not. Maybe I can trade him my old beat up 16 gauge single shot shotgun for an old, beat up .22 rifle.

Like Chuck said, you can't have too much ammunition. I'm still not entirely comfortable with just randomly going to the shooting range with what I have, and with the anticipated shortage lasting longer.

CitizenBBN
09-22-2020, 05:01 PM
I'm increasingly not fine with what I have. I don't expect prices to come down much, but hoping in 1-2 months that things temper some, but now with RBG dying and what looks like hardcore, hardball politics coming for months that we'll see more protests and coverage of same, which leads to more ammo shortages.

I imagine by most people's standards I'm "fine", but I'm not feeling fine about it. lol.

KentuckyWildcat
09-22-2020, 08:20 PM
Just placed my 2nd order on Optics Planet. They let you place back orders. This worked when I was looking for my 7.62x39 Hornady Black. I just ordered some Hornady v-max for my 223. Hopefully it comes in after a few weeks.

I have not really looked to see if they have bulk orders. But this seems to be a option. I'm trying to slowly stock up on quality hunting. I'll order some bulk ammo IF we ever return to normal.

KeithKSR
09-22-2020, 08:45 PM
Just placed my 2nd order on Optics Planet. They let you place back orders. This worked when I was looking for my 7.62x39 Hornady Black. I just ordered some Hornady v-max for my 223. Hopefully it comes in after a few weeks.

I have not really looked to see if they have bulk orders. But this seems to be a option. I'm trying to slowly stock up on quality hunting. I'll order some bulk ammo IF we ever return to normal.

Optics Planet is one of the few places I’ve see .223 HP rounds available.

KentuckyWildcat
09-22-2020, 09:58 PM
Optics Planet is one of the few places I’ve see .223 HP rounds available.Nothing in stock when I placed the order. But I think it said approx 3 weeks. Nearly went with Federal soft point.

OT - I think the Palmetto group bought Remington.

dan_bgblue
09-23-2020, 09:51 AM
Nothing in stock when I placed the order. But I think it said approx 3 weeks. Nearly went with Federal soft point.

OT - I think the Palmetto group bought Remington.

I do not know what that means for the supply of Remington ammo, but yes they did buy them.

KeithKSR
09-23-2020, 05:58 PM
Prices from two local shops, well local enough, today.

One posted 9mm for $18.99/50. The other has 9mm for $16.99/50 and around $33/100. 5.56 Federal is $14.99/20.

My wife needs to head over that way tomorrow, so I may tag along and pick up up a little extra.

KeithKSR
09-23-2020, 06:51 PM
I do not know what that means for the supply of Remington ammo, but yes they did buy them.

That’s good. The group that owns Palmetto State seems a lot more stable than the Freedom Group.

Darrell KSR
09-23-2020, 07:09 PM
Prices from two local shops, well local enough, today.

One posted 9mm for $18.99/50. The other has 9mm for $16.99/50 and around $33/100. 5.56 Federal is $14.99/20.

My wife needs to head over that way tomorrow, so I may tag along and pick up up a little extra.Your local supply is better than mine. At least, the ones I know about and check on.

KeithKSR
09-23-2020, 09:34 PM
Your local supply is better than mine. At least, the ones I know about and check on.

When ammo is more available they were pretty good about having plenty of options. The only big box sporting goods stores in the area are Dick’s and Dunham’s. Dick’s isn’t frequented much after they insulted gun owners and Dunham’s had a small selection and limited supplies. Border’s, the shop with the better prices, is a family owned business and has competitive prices on firearms and ammo to keep plenty of business even with Rural King being only a mile away. Walmart used to get a lot of 2A traffic, but their corporate officials have made mistakes that rural people don’t forget.

KeithKSR
09-24-2020, 04:44 PM
I made it to the Ashland area, I made a stop at Border’s. They had quite a bit of 9mm FMJ on the shelf. I picked up a 100 round box of Winchester for $32.99 and three packages of Federal Lake City 5.56 for $14.99/20 rds. I also picked up a Magpul MOE M-LOK hand guard to replace the generic M-4 hand guard on my carbine. The new hand guard will allow me to add some goodies to the AR, like a flashlight that will enable it to be used for things that go bump on the night.

KeithKSR
09-26-2020, 02:26 PM
My daughter went to Ashland today, I sent for a little more ammo. I couldn’t resist after seeing how scarce it is getting in the more metro areas.

Darrell KSR
09-26-2020, 04:00 PM
That's a good idea, Keith.

My buddy in the Florida panhandle is having just as tough a time as I am.

KeithKSR
09-26-2020, 09:22 PM
That's a good idea, Keith.

My buddy in the Florida panhandle is having just as tough a time as I am.

It may take a year for supplies to catch up with demand.

suncat05
09-27-2020, 08:46 AM
It may take a year for supplies to catch up with demand.

Or maybe even longer. My goodness, I know we all hope that will not be the case.

KeithKSR
09-27-2020, 08:52 PM
Or maybe even longer. My goodness, I know we all hope that will not be the case.

The recovery speed will be dependent on the election. If Biden wins standard capacity mags, ammo and semiautomatic weapons will grow in demand.

KeithKSR
10-05-2020, 10:43 AM
Vista Outdoors, owners of Federal Premium Ammunition, CCI, Blazer, Speer, American Eagle, etc., is the high bid for Remington’s ammo division in the Remington bankruptcy.

This looks like good news on the ammo front, as it points to the Remington ammo factories likely returning to full capacity once the deal can be finalized.

Darrell KSR
10-10-2020, 12:31 AM
Just finished placing more orders for 9 mm and 45 ACP with Opticsplanet. They are both on backorder. The 9 mm is an estimated 3-5 months for shipping. Fortunately, I placed a larger order a few weeks ago and the estimated delivery on it is the end of this month.

The 45 ACP is a 1-3 month delay backorder. At this point, I'm just thinking about placing orders randomly and getting them in when they can. I can probably go to my go-two store in Bessemer and get some, but it will be significantly more, although not price-gouging rates, in my opinion. It might fit the definition, but they're not doing anything like doubling the price. I'm okay for now, so seeding this by placing these kind of order seems to be a good fit for me. At least, if they eventually fill these orders.

Darrell KSR
10-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Buddy of mine ordered 9mm from the same place last night, with a quicker delivery date. Slightly more per round but worth it if you needed it sooner. I didn't, so I am good with saving some pennies.

KeithKSR
10-10-2020, 01:51 PM
A pawn shop in Morehead got a shipment of 9mm in, they are pricing it at $29 a box. It is brass Blazer FMJ. I bought the exact same stuff for $16.99 two weeks ago at Borders in Ashland. I’m going to be on Ashland on Tuesday, and will check out Borders prices then. If they still have it at $16.99 I may grab another box.

Darrell KSR
10-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Probably a good idea. Lucky if you can still get it at that price. There might be somewhere around here where I can, but I don't know where it is if I can. I haven't gone all over, but I've hit half a dozen places, which I think is a good sample.

KeithKSR
10-10-2020, 07:58 PM
Probably a good idea. Lucky if you can still get it at that price. There might be somewhere around here where I can, but I don't know where it is if I can. I haven't gone all over, but I've hit half a dozen places, which I think is a good sample.

Some of the backorder dates on .223 and 5.56 on Sportsman’s Guide are March 2021. That means everything being produced by some of the vendors between now and March is already sold. They have one brand of 9mm available for backorder, with the expected delivery date in late January.

KeithKSR
10-15-2020, 01:17 PM
I was in Ashland today, While the wife was in Walmart I saw a FB post from Stevens Guns about a mile for ammo at good prices.

Fiocchi 9mm at $15.95/50 and Federal 5.56 at $11.95/20. I walked away with 100 rounds of 9mm and 200 of 5.56.

They also had .45acp for $19.95/50 and .40 for $18.95/50. Not sure about the .40, but the .45 is pretty close to prepandemic pricing.

Darrell KSR
10-15-2020, 02:25 PM
Almost worth the drive. Good pricing.

It will be interesting to see if I get my Planetoptics ammo. Currently showing my first order to be shipped Oct. 28, 2nd order on December 15, and 3rd order on January 13. We'll see.

KentuckyWildcat
10-15-2020, 03:04 PM
My OpticsPlanet order just got delayed until December. Which is fine, I'm willing to wait on it. If it works out, I might do it again.

KeithKSR
10-15-2020, 09:30 PM
Almost worth the drive. Good pricing.

It will be interesting to see if I get my Planetoptics ammo. Currently showing my first order to be shipped Oct. 28, 2nd order on December 15, and 3rd order on January 13. We'll see.

I was encouraged by the price drop. This is the same shop that had 5.56/.223 at about $20 a box about a month ago, and 9mm at about $19. They still have some of the more expensive ammo on the shelves, which indicates to me sales must be slowing. I’m also seeing firearms becoming more available, based on some of the shops’ FB pages.

CitizenBBN
10-15-2020, 11:11 PM
Just checked Sgamm.com. They have 9mm for almost $0.80/round, and it's from IMI (israel). i've never seen IMI ammo before, I think US companies are scouring the planet for ammo at this point.

KeithKSR
10-16-2020, 01:27 PM
Just checked Sgamm.com. They have 9mm for almost $0.80/round, and it's from IMI (israel). i've never seen IMI ammo before, I think US companies are scouring the planet for ammo at this point.

Those are worse than Cheaper than Dirt’s prices. I could make money now selling at $0.80 a round for the price I have seen locally. The two boxes I bought locally for $0.32/round are a bargain in comparison.

CitizenBBN
10-16-2020, 02:57 PM
Those are worse than Cheaper than Dirt’s prices. I could make money now selling at $0.80 a round for the price I have seen locally. The two boxes I bought locally for $0.32/round are a bargain in comparison.

That price may be fair depending on what they had to pay to acquire it, b/c I didn't even know IMI sold ammo in the US. But yeah, that's a stupid high price.

KeithKSR
10-16-2020, 04:45 PM
That price may be fair depending on what they had to pay to acquire it, b/c I didn't even know IMI sold ammo in the US. But yeah, that's a stupid high price.

I think it was SGAMMO that had IMI 5.56 back in the summer, it is supposed to be quality ammo from a company that made it for the Israeli military. Bypass Pawn in Morehead was selling 9mm Blazer brass for $30 a box, now they are selling some brand named Civil Liberty Defense for $29 a box For 9mm, .380 and .40. They have 10mm and 300 blackout for $39.

The biggest key to buying ammo is to have someone selling it.

KeithKSR
10-16-2020, 10:17 PM
Cabelas in Lexington is showing Federal 5.56 in stock. SKU is 1937125. $10.99 a box.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/federal-lake-city-556mm-centerfire-rifle-ammo

suncat05
10-17-2020, 06:19 PM
IMI is good ammo.

suncat05
10-17-2020, 06:44 PM
Their 5.56 mm is good stuff, pretty accurate, burns fairly clean. It's not readily available in all locales, you have to look for it.

CitizenBBN
10-18-2020, 02:27 PM
IMI is good ammo.

Oh yes. IMI Is Israeli Military Industries. They are a top notch manufacturer. They made the US civilian UZis, they made the Desert Eagle for many years, and are a major Israeli defense contractor including the outstanding Galil rifle.

I just googled and they have been bought out and renamed, but IMI is top notch.

But I hadn't seen IMI 9mm on the market before, I'm betting distributors are scouring the planet for ammo right now to sell.

KeithKSR
10-18-2020, 07:30 PM
I'm betting distributors are scouring the planet for ammo right now to sell.

Some of them do a lot more affective job than others.

CitizenBBN
11-10-2020, 01:16 PM
Just checked sgammo for curiosity. They have ZERO 7.62 or 9mm in stock. They always had some, it was just really pricey. They have zero.

KeithKSR
11-10-2020, 01:44 PM
Just checked sgammo for curiosity. They have ZERO 7.62 or 9mm in stock. They always had some, it was just really pricey. They have zero.

I’ve seen that a number of times since late June. I did have a slew of internet sites I checked daily, but gave that up a couple of months ago. Sportsman’s Guide has .223 Wolf in stock, prices vary from 63-90 cents a round, depending on quantity. They have some Federal they are taking preorder sales on that is scheduled for February delivery.

I can’t see supplies getting much better until late next summer, at best.

Darrell KSR
11-10-2020, 01:57 PM
I can’t see supplies getting much better until late next summer, at best.

Same.

I'll be interested in seeing if I am delivered any of my orders from OpticsPlanet. Currently I have orders placed:

September 21: supposed to ship Friday, Nov. 13 (already bumped once from late October)
October 10: supposed to ship December 15
October 10: supposed to ship January 13, 2021
October 25: supposed to ship February 3, 2021
October 28: supposed to ship December 15

I don't need that much, but I figured that I'd place all the orders, and see what happens. If I get them, they won't go to waste. Or if they start coming in, and I want to cancel, they'll let me before the others ship.

Darrell KSR
11-10-2020, 02:01 PM
Oh--here's a good article describing the ammunition shortage, why we're seeing it (multiple factors, some of which you don't normally see together), and when we can expect supply to catch up to demand.

Hint: not until late 2021. Some manufacturers will take until 2022.

The Great Ammo Shortage of 2020 (https://frontier-justice.com/the-great-ammo-shortage-of-2020/#:~:text=Many%20experts%20in%20this%20industry,sto pped%20taking%20new%20orders%20today.)

KentuckyWildcat
11-10-2020, 03:05 PM
Same.

I'll be interested in seeing if I am delivered any of my orders from OpticsPlanet. Currently I have orders placed:

September 21: supposed to ship Friday, Nov. 13 (already bumped once from late October)

I don't need that much, but I figured that I'd place all the orders, and see what happens. If I get them, they won't go to waste. Or if they start coming in, and I want to cancel, they'll let me before the others ship.

My first OpticsPlanet order worked out well. Came in a little later than expected. My 2nd order has been delayed for a while. But I guess I'll keep doing this. When I receive the next order, I'll go ahead and place another order and see what happens. And continue to repeat.

Darrell KSR
11-10-2020, 03:13 PM
What I appreciate with them is that they are sticking to their guns and selling at reasonable prices. Yes, it is being delayed, and some cases by months. But they could have taken a different approach and I'm glad they didn't.

Glad that your order worked out. Fingers crossed for Friday. I do not believe I will receive it timely, but if I receive it at all in the next couple of weeks I will be content.

KeithKSR
11-10-2020, 05:03 PM
I’ve seen where a number of ammo manufacturers are increasing capacity. I’ve developed a decent stash of 9mm and .223/5.56 and I’m watching to see what happens with prices and supply at the moment. I haven’t even checked on ammo supplies in the area over the past month.

KeithKSR
11-10-2020, 05:06 PM
What I appreciate with them is that they are sticking to their guns and selling at reasonable prices. Yes, it is being delayed, and some cases by months. But they could have taken a different approach and I'm glad they didn't.

That is what irritates me about places like Cheaper Than Dirt. They jacked up their prices to $30 for a 50 round box of 9mm FMJ late last spring, long before other places hit the $15 a box prices.

Darrell KSR
11-11-2020, 11:39 AM
My November 13 delivery has been bumped to December 15 now. Originally it was was scheduled to be delivered on October.

Ordered in September.

Hey, I think they're doing the best they can. I'm with Keith on these companies that jacked up the prices early. I will cut this company a lot of slack.

KeithKSR
11-11-2020, 01:14 PM
My November 13 delivery has been bumped to December 15 now. Originally it was was scheduled to be delivered on October.

Ordered in September.

Hey, I think they're doing the best they can. I'm with Keith on these companies that jacked up the prices early. I will cut this company a lot of slack.

I look for deliveries to keep being pushed back. Ammo manufacturers are likely having to divvy up what they are producing among all the various vendors. One issue we haven’t broached is that raw materials are in short supply.

Darrell KSR
11-11-2020, 01:27 PM
My updated list of anticipated deliveries:

ORDER DATE: SHIP DATE
September 21: initially supposed to ship between October 16-25, then bumped to October 28, then bumped to Nov. 13, now bumped to December 15.

KentuckyWildcat
11-28-2020, 02:27 PM
My 223 from optics planet arrived yesterday. Ordered some more.

KeithKSR
11-28-2020, 02:37 PM
My 223 from optics planet arrived yesterday. Ordered some more.

What kind of expected delivery date did they give you?

KentuckyWildcat
11-28-2020, 02:49 PM
Late Oct originally. Then changed to early Dec. Ordered in mid Sept.

KeithKSR
11-28-2020, 09:11 PM
Late Oct originally. Then changed to early Dec. Ordered in mid Sept.

What about the new order?

Darrell KSR
11-28-2020, 09:21 PM
I have 4 orders beginning in September (9/21, 10/10, 10/25 and 10/28), but none shipped yet.

I did pick up two boxes (limit) of Winchester 9mm Super-X Silvertip hollow points for $0.70 a round this week from Dvor.com. Had a coupon code for free shipping. I wasnt really looking for any hollow point, but I thought it was worthwhile to pick up (just two boxes of 20 each).

Got an email that they have shipped already. Hey, I'll take what I can get.

KentuckyWildcat
11-28-2020, 09:27 PM
What about the new order?

Oh sorry. Made two separate orders. One for 223 and one for 9mm. Both say 1-4 months. So...not real sure that is a delivery date.

KentuckyWildcat
11-28-2020, 09:30 PM
I have 4 orders beginning in September (9/21, 10/10, 10/25 and 10/28), but none shipped yet.

Your order is a week or so behind mine so hopefully you will get something soon. OP is bad about back orders and delivery times anyway. Especially now. My buddy keeps asking why I am using them. I get his point, but to me this is easy and I'm not depending on speedy service right now. When these ship, I'll just order some more and probably keep going.

Someone needs to the ammo version of The Dollar Shave club.

CitizenBBN
11-28-2020, 09:34 PM
Oh sorry. Made two separate orders. One for 223 and one for 9mm. Both say 1-4 months. So...not real sure that is a delivery date.

Question. Do they charge your card now or when the order ships?

Darrell KSR
11-28-2020, 09:35 PM
Your order is a week or so behind mine so hopefully you will get something soon. OP is bad about back orders and delivery times anyway. Especially now. My buddy keeps asking why I am using them. I get his point, but to me this is easy and I'm not depending on speedy service right now. When these ship, I'll just order some more and probably keep going.

Someone needs to the ammo version of The Dollar Shave club.I agree. I wasn't hurting for ammo... I bought enough local to at least give me a base - so I figured when these came, they came. Whenever.

KentuckyWildcat
11-28-2020, 09:43 PM
Question. Do they charge your card now or when the order ships?When it ships

CitizenBBN
11-28-2020, 09:44 PM
When it ships

Well that's a big incentive. I'll go look, this is a lazy question, but what is 9mm running there per round?

KentuckyWildcat
11-29-2020, 02:11 PM
Well that's a big incentive. I'll go look, this is a lazy question, but what is 9mm running there per round?

They have lots from 30-50 cents range. They have not inflated their prices as bad as some places.

CitizenBBN
11-29-2020, 02:39 PM
That's high compared to the pre-rush numbers, but not stupid.

Darrell KSR
11-30-2020, 03:04 PM
For what it is worth, I just received an email from UPS indicating that I am to receive a shipment from OpticsPlanet on Friday. I have not received an update from OpticsPlanet, but that's good news.

Darrell KSR
11-30-2020, 03:06 PM
Also, I don't know what order it is. I assume it is the September 21 order, though. According to my order status on their website, it is not supposed to ship until January 13, though.

Just for what it's worth, I ordered 9 mm at $0.35 per round, $0.29 per round, $0.38 per round, and $0.35 per round. I ordered 45 caliber at $0.43 per round.

KentuckyWildcat
11-30-2020, 08:05 PM
This last time, I made two different orders. One order with 9mm. One order with 223 but with two different kinds of 223. Mostly because I wanted to see if the 223 would ship separate or if they will fill it one both are in stock.

Darrell KSR
11-30-2020, 08:51 PM
On one of my orders (Oct. 10 order), I ordered 9mm and .45 ACP in the same order. But OpticsPlanet has indicated two different shipping dates for them. So even though I didn't place two separate orders, they are shipping them that way anyway.

KeithKSR
12-01-2020, 04:31 AM
Also, I don't know what order it is. I assume it is the September 21 order, though. According to my order status on their website, it is not supposed to ship until January 13, though.

Just for what it's worth, I ordered 9 mm at $0.35 per round, $0.29 per round, $0.38 per round, and $0.35 per round. I ordered 45 caliber at $0.43 per round.

Those aren’t bad prices for either caliber given the shortages and prices elsewhere.

Darrell KSR
12-04-2020, 11:26 AM
Well, I'm a little disappointed. I did receive an order from OpticsPlanet today, but it was not one of the five orders I had previously placed directly with them. Apparently an order I placed with DVOR was actually a middleman of sorts for OpticsPlanet. So I received two boxes of Winchester Silvertip 9 mm 115 grain hollow point defense rounds. Happy to have them, but that's not really what I was looking for with this shipment.

KeithKSR
12-19-2020, 09:15 AM
I received an email from Sportsman’s Guide telling me they had American Eagle .223 available. By the time I saw the email it was gone. Price for 50 grain jacketed hollow point loads was $74.99 for 100 rounds or $19.99 for 20 rounds.

Darrell KSR
12-19-2020, 10:51 AM
All five of my orders at OpticsPlanet are now listed as expected to be shipped on 3/18/2021. I don't expect them then, either.

KeithKSR
12-19-2020, 12:33 PM
All five of my orders at OpticsPlanet are now listed as expected to be shipped on 3/18/2021. I don't expect them then, either.

No need to get your hopes up. I haven’t been in any of the local shops in a while, but if anything supplies are even tighter based on what I’ve been hearing.

Darrell KSR
12-19-2020, 12:35 PM
No need to get your hopes up. I haven’t been in any of the local shops in a while, but if anything supplies are even tighter based on what I’ve been hearing.I'm disappointed, but not surprised. They aren't a critical need, but I have been avoiding going to practice, and I need to do so.

Sigh.

KeithKSR
12-19-2020, 12:40 PM
I'm disappointed, but not surprised. They aren't a critical need, but I have been avoiding going to practice, and I need to do so.

Sigh.

I’m with you in that boat. I’m okay with some of the reserves I’ve built up, but don’t feel good enough about what I have on hand to use it without knowing if it can be replaced.

On a more positive note firearm supplies seem to be getting better.

CitizenBBN
12-19-2020, 01:01 PM
I'm not going to use up rocks in my slingshot until this is over.

KeithKSR
12-19-2020, 03:45 PM
I'm not going to use up rocks in my slingshot until this is over.

You might need the rocks to maintain your safety.

suncat05
12-19-2020, 09:22 PM
You might need the rocks to maintain your safety.

Marbles or ball bearings work much better, but when you're down to using rocks, that'll work.

KentuckyWildcat
12-19-2020, 09:43 PM
All five of my orders at OpticsPlanet are now listed as expected to be shipped on 3/18/2021. I don't expect them then, either.2 of mine say 3/18. 1 says 2/5.

Darrell KSR
12-20-2020, 11:50 AM
2 of mine say 3/18. 1 says 2/5.

Fingers crossed for you on the February shipment.

Darrell KSR
12-20-2020, 11:52 AM
I’m with you in that boat. I’m okay with some of the reserves I’ve built up, but don’t feel good enough about what I have on hand to use it without knowing if it can be replaced.

On a more positive note firearm supplies seem to be getting better.

Exactly. If and when I received my first shipment, I will head to get some practice shooting in in the same amount.

KeithKSR
12-20-2020, 06:35 PM
Exactly. If and when I received my first shipment, I will head to get some practice shooting in in the same amount.

I keep waiting for the ammo rush to subside a bit to get a few boxes for practice, but supplies seem to be harder to find.

KentuckyWildcat
12-21-2020, 02:54 PM
A message from Remington CEO
https://youtu.be/KIgvoJKovIg

Darrell KSR
12-21-2020, 03:36 PM
Oh, I think we'll catch up eventually. It's just taking a lot longer than most of us wanna wait.

Darrell KSR
12-22-2020, 10:13 AM
I received an email from PyramidAir today telling me to "save my ammo" and practice with their replicas. I tell you, it's tempting, even though it's not the same thing.

https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-replicas?trk_msg=1OTVMKD13OBKTCBA4H2BN0QKTG&trk_contact=07020P6DADMM34MRNQ7TO6D83O&trk_sid=JQTK33HP6SVS849J2TMC2VGD4S&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Firearm+Replicas&utm_campaign=Save+your+firearm+ammo%2c+train+with+ Airguns+instead!&utm_content=NEW+LTK2+-+General+Promotion

Would be a lot cheaper to buy one of these and begin practicing with their ammo than running a few hundred rounds through my handguns.

No Walther Creeds or Glock 36's for me, though...they did have the Walther CP99 Compact that looks like it would be fun to shoot, 18 shot BB magazine, and dirt cheap at $80...

KentuckyWildcat
12-22-2020, 04:57 PM
I will add a decent air gun eventually

KentuckyWildcat
12-23-2020, 09:43 AM
My buddy picked me up 3 boxes of 223 Red Army Standard for $.20 per round.

Now I won't feel bad about shooting my pumpkins.

Darrell KSR
12-23-2020, 10:20 AM
I will add a decent air gun eventually

I have a Crosman 2260 SE CO2 air rifle with a 6X32 scope and rings. It is very effective against small pests. It is single shot, however. I might toy around and get one of those pistols just for fun.

KeithKSR
12-23-2020, 05:29 PM
My buddy picked me up 3 boxes of 223 Red Army Standard for $.20 per round.

Now I won't feel bad about shooting my pumpkins.

That’s a great price!

KentuckyWildcat
12-23-2020, 09:32 PM
That’s a great price!I'd bought more if I had been there. But hated to ask him to spend much.

KeithKSR
12-24-2020, 09:53 AM
I'd bought more if I had been there. But hated to ask him to spend much.

$4 per box of 20 is cheaper than I paid for Tula a few years ago, when there was no ammo buying spree.

KeithKSR
12-24-2020, 02:43 PM
In the last week or so the CEO of Federal Premium/CCI/Speer/Remington Ammo and the CEO of Hornady have both released videos about how they are running full bore on ammo production, and it is flying off the shelves as fast as they can ship it. Due to the record high demands they haven’t been ably to add supplies to warehouse inventories at all.

bigsky
12-25-2020, 10:09 AM
All I can report are Empty shelves and sporting goods store takeovers. And not a Marlin lever action .357 in the state for sale.

KeithKSR
12-25-2020, 12:57 PM
All I can report are Empty shelves and sporting goods store takeovers. And not a Marlin lever action .357 in the state for sale.

I don’t know where Marlin is at in production at this point. Ruger bought them in the Remington firesale and I don’t know the status of the sale. I’m sure under Ruger the quality will get better than it was under Remington.

Henry rifles seem to be available in these parts.

Doc
12-25-2020, 05:26 PM
Ugh...I just bought 1,000 rounds for $600. Good enuf deal that I took all 1000 rds

bigsky
12-25-2020, 05:58 PM
I don’t know where Marlin is at in production at this point. Ruger bought them in the Remington firesale and I don’t know the status of the sale. I’m sure under Ruger the quality will get better than it was under Remington.

Henry rifles seem to be available in these parts.

Yep, lookin fir the steel Henry equivalent or willing
To wait till I find it. Agree that Ruger buying Marlin from Remington will do the Marlin line nothing but good

CitizenBBN
12-25-2020, 09:02 PM
Ruger makes dang fine guns. Nothing too fancy, but very high quality. No doubt they will help Marlin.

As for Ammo I got a gunbroker email and clicked b/c I was curious. Can get all you want 9mm at about $0.80/round.

Darrell KSR
12-25-2020, 09:48 PM
Ruger makes dang fine guns. Nothing too fancy, but very high quality. No doubt they will help Marlin.

As for Ammo I got a gunbroker email and clicked b/c I was curious. Can get all you want 9mm at about $0.80/round.I got an email yesterday from CDNN Sports and it mentioned they had case ammo including 9mm. Clicked on the link and it was on GunBroker auction, and the price with 3 hours remaining was $801, so at least $0.80 a round.

suncat05
12-26-2020, 04:51 AM
We all have the Ruger LCP/ECP 9's. Like CBBN said, nothing fancy but they all use the same mags, and all of the working components are exactly the same. Very reasonably priced (or were when we bought them), easy to maintain and very easy to operate and shoot.

I also have a shooting practice system called iTarget. A little pricey, but.......you can get real self made scenario practice in within the confines of your own home for one of those "Oh No!" situations that I hope never happens to any of us. You use your own handun, so that helps a lot toward grip & trigger squeeze and overall manipulation of the handgun. And in theory it should help with shot placement on target.

KeithKSR
12-27-2020, 05:38 PM

As for Ammo I got a gunbroker email and clicked b/c I was curious. Can get all you want 9mm at about $0.80/round.

I’d be tempted to part with a few hundred rounds at $0.80/round.

CitizenBBN
12-27-2020, 06:37 PM
I’d be tempted to part with a few hundred rounds at $0.80/round.

it's not flying off the shelves at that price, but I bet at $0.70 you could move some.

I'll stand pat on my 9mm, don't have enough as it is, but I'm keeping a weather eye out.

It's in my blood to not pay retail, lol. I'll find a deal somewhere along the line. When prices come back to normal I'm going to stock up though, enough people will think I've lost it. :)

Doc
12-28-2020, 11:39 AM
I just purchased 1000 rounds of 9mm for $600. Pre gouging prices from a police officer. Plus another 500 rounds that I aleeady have, so I am good

KentuckyWildcat
12-29-2020, 07:24 PM
Currently trying to decide what to add my collection. I have some Bud's gift cards to spend. Either a 9mm AR style pistol, or an AK. Possibly a 9mm glock as I am giving up on ever ordering the dagger but will probably hold out hope for a while on that.

KeithKSR
12-29-2020, 08:13 PM
Currently trying to decide what to add my collection. I have some Bud's gift cards to spend. Either a 9mm AR style pistol, or an AK. Possibly a 9mm glock as I am giving up on ever ordering the dagger but will probably hold out hope for a while on that.

Glocks are easier to source right now. AR and AK pistols are tough to locate and prices are sky high, due to the ATF’s flirtation with eliminating pistol braces.

KentuckyWildcat
12-29-2020, 09:01 PM
Glocks are easier to source right now. AR and AK pistols are tough to locate and prices are sky high, due to the ATF’s flirtation with eliminating pistol braces.

Bud's online is out of stock on pretty much everything. I've not been in Uncle Bud's lately to see what they have in the store.

P.S. I refuse to call it Uncle Lee's....

CitizenBBN
12-29-2020, 09:39 PM
I could maybe get my hands on a Draco AK pistol if you're interested. Probably will sell off some SKSs and full size AKs soon as well. Prices are way up but I really haven't had time to fool with it.

KeithKSR
12-30-2020, 08:42 AM
I could maybe get my hands on a Draco AK pistol if you're interested. Probably will sell off some SKSs and full size AKs soon as well. Prices are way up but I really haven't had time to fool with it.

AKs are pretty high right now, it is a good time if you are a seller.