PDA

View Full Version : NCAA just opened Pandora"s box

LakeCat
07-30-2020, 12:26 PM
NCAA going to allow players to have memorials OR SOCIAL JUSTICE statements on both front and back of jersey. We know what a lot of them will be but what if a player says Blue Lives Matter will that be allowed. Who will be the arbiter of what is allowed?

KSRBEvans
07-30-2020, 12:33 PM
Saw a tweet suggestion that they should all put "PAY US" on the backs of their jerseys.

Terry Blue
07-30-2020, 12:48 PM
Will look junky

dan_bgblue
07-30-2020, 12:50 PM
Want to really give them heart burn, put "Jesus is the Answer" on the jerseys. .

TNCat
07-30-2020, 12:51 PM
That's disappointing. I really hate to add any additional controversy to sports. We all have varying opinions and we live in a polarized world. Why would we take something we all love and make it into a political fight? I don't care if you are talking black lives matter, blue lives matter or dog lives matter.

StuBleedsBlue2
07-30-2020, 12:56 PM
I'm sure that it would be a consensus statement, and I would highly doubt that any team would come to a consensus to make such a statement about "blue lives matter". Society and the justice system has jammed down our throats for generations. We don't need any social justice statements to remind us. Social justice statements are about bringing awareness to issues.

Whatever it takes to end systemic AND systematic racism, I'm all for. Nice job NCAA!

blueboss
07-30-2020, 12:57 PM
MAGA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuBleedsBlue2
07-30-2020, 12:59 PM
That's disappointing. I really hate to add any additional controversy to sports. We all have varying opinions and we live in a polarized world. Why would we take something we all love and make it into a political fight? I don't care if you are talking black lives matter, blue lives matter or dog lives matter.

Simple, because those that are supplying the thing that we all love are not robots and have a right to express their opinions as much as anyone else. Not to mention that more than not, the suppliers are the victims of the disenfranchisement.

If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to watch.

tpenrod23
07-30-2020, 01:09 PM
socioeconomic inequality is not systemic racism even if it disproportionately affects one race. but that concept cant be weaponized to allow societies most elite to use its most disenfranchised in one giant power grab. but hey, lets break down the institutions of the greatest country the worlds ever known and replace it with the institution of victim-hood. That should be great for the long term sovereignty of our union.

ETWNAPPEL
07-30-2020, 01:24 PM
Simple, because those that are supplying the thing that we all love are not robots and have a right to express their opinions as much as anyone else. Not to mention that more than not, the suppliers are the victims of the disenfranchisement.

The suppliers are not robots, but they are also not monolithic. That’s the problem. Also, saying “if you don’t like it take your business elsewhere” is the perfect recipe for business failure.

Powermaker
07-30-2020, 02:01 PM
How about “Emmert Sucks” !

StuBleedsBlue2
07-30-2020, 02:03 PM
The suppliers are not robots, but they are also not monolithic. That’s the problem. Also, saying “if you don’t like it take your business elsewhere” is the perfect recipe for business failure.

It can work the other way too. You can get people that were not previously interested in sports interested as they get to know personalities. The overall decline in ratings and attendance in sports while revenues keep increasing shows that there will have to be a HUGE net loss of business to impact sports.

I think sports can survive just fine if a small faction is so turned off by freedom of speech that they won't watch.

Terry Blue
07-30-2020, 02:39 PM
It's not freedom of speech to yell FIRE in a movie theater when there's no fire.

Philly Cat
07-30-2020, 03:05 PM
It's not freedom of speech to yell FIRE in a movie theater when there's no fire.

Doc
07-30-2020, 03:44 PM
How about “Emmert Sucks” !

that is not controversial. Its factual.

Terry Blue
07-30-2020, 03:46 PM
Just another example: LOOK AT ME, IT'S ALL ABOUT ME BABY

LakeCat
07-30-2020, 03:49 PM
I'm sure that it would be a consensus statement, and I would highly doubt that any team would come to a consensus to make such a statement about "blue lives matter". Society and the justice system has jammed down our throats for generations. We don't need any social justice statements to remind us. Social justice statements are about bringing awareness to issues.

Whatever it takes to end systemic AND systematic racism, I'm all for. Nice job NCAA!

My son is a Kentucky State Police Officer so I guarantee Blue Lives matter to me. I prosecuted over 5,000 felony cases in Kentucky and probably over 95% were white people. So your observations from Fall Creek Va on systemic racism in Kentucky's judicial system is based on exactly what facts other the usual more % of Blacks in jail which is countered by a greater % of Blacks commit crimes.

Catonahottinroof
07-30-2020, 03:54 PM
The NCAA is looking like this at the moment.....

Darryl
07-30-2020, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=LakeCat;646210]My son is a Kentucky State Police Officer so I guarantee Blue Lives matter to me. I prosecuted over 5,000 felony cases in Kentucky and probably over 95% were white people. So your observations from Fall Creek Va on systemic racism in Kentucky's judicial system is based on exactly what facts other the usual more % of Blacks in jail which is countered by a greater % of Blacks commit crimes.[/QUOTE

Very good point; I grew up in a family of police officers. I have great admiration for them and their profession. Liberals are despicable.

Darryl

blueboss
07-30-2020, 04:22 PM
I’ll go ahead and say it. When I’m watching a sporting event, I don’t care what kind of music, religious convictions, whether they like Marianne or Ginger, whether they support blue lives , black lives, Velcro or strings. I’m watching them for their athletic ability.

Same goes for musicians, actors, I watch/listen to them for what they’re there to do. I go to a concert to listen to music, I go to the movies to watch the movie, I go to a baseball game to watch baseball.

Those that use their celebrity status as a platform to share their opinions, I typically don’t care for... and quite frankly comes off as insincere.

kingcat
07-30-2020, 05:07 PM
I had a lot written but deleted it since, as Cal says, it just wont be received well and people tend to get mad. And then often revert to slinging about pre-packaged political rhetoric in support of a narrow view of a situation that requires a much broader perspective.
Suffice it to say the statement Black lives matter means something entirely different to most all the players and staff at UK. As well as people across the country. It is not a political organization of the same name, it is a loud voice crying out to America..Where are our friends?

And Blue lives do matter. It hasn't been but just a few years ago I watched nearly the entire population of Radcliff, every color and race imaginable and in huge numbers mourn and show united support along the highway for the parade of multi-state law enforcement after a Trooper lost his life in the line of duty. Tears were shed in the patrol cars and on the road and color did not matter.

And White lives matter, as if anyone has ever portrayed it differently. But still, we can dig through some old photos and find a young Black child forced to carry a down with whitey sign..or photoshop one if need be cause..well, we know it happens. "They" do that.

There are equal percentages of good and bad no matter ones race. That is a fact of creation. And that same percentage of good and bad applies to law enforcement. So depending how you match those entities up there will be a pretty big disparity of bad actions at times. And if lives depend on it, positive action is necessary. It may be some action not yet discussed, but action none the less. (And admittedly, even I have a better solution than any proposed so far)

But really aside from all that, sometimes silence is the best policy on a sports site dedicated to the support of the majority of those young men and women including most all the players and staff at UK. If you do not believe it can be taken seriously enough to damage the athletic program irreparably, you are wrong and may as well prepare to follow your local high school teams and forget college sports
My point is, some here are at direct odds with the university, the athletic dept. and it's student athletes.
Whether we agree or disagree with each other, that is what should guide our conversation.

Unless, this is no longer a site dedicated to the support of those young men and women and the UK program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuEwoB7D7KA

StuBleedsBlue2
07-30-2020, 05:58 PM
My son is a Kentucky State Police Officer so I guarantee Blue Lives matter to me. I prosecuted over 5,000 felony cases in Kentucky and probably over 95% were white people. So your observations from Fall Creek Va on systemic racism in Kentucky's judicial system is based on exactly what facts other the usual more % of Blacks in jail which is countered by a greater % of Blacks commit crimes.

Dude, you have problems when you try to pretend what I know or do or think you have ANY insights to my life. I don't do that to you, or you don't do it to other people. So, stop it, you don't have a clue.

I grew up in Ky, spent half of my life there. I was beaten and robbed by a cop, had a friend raped by a cop and have plenty of other stories about police brutality in Kentucky and Chicago. Several of my in-laws are retired cops. They are horrible racists, to the point that we have boundaries that we cannot cross in family situations. It's really sad for my wife and her other family members.

I don't know anything about your son, nor do I care. My personal experiences are nothing like 99% of cops are good. I'm not this crazy defund/abolish police guy. I have always just wanted them to take some personal responsibility and clean themselves up and if they can't then others will. Change will come, and now is the time. If anything that these times have shown me is that there are a WHOLE lot of good cops out there. I beg of them to force change from within.

As a proud liberal and progressive, I take great offense to Darry's words, but I am going to use them myself, since he has crossed the line. Those types of cops, the ones that know how they behave and the people that support them are despicable. That number is a WHOLE lot bigger than 1%.

There was absolutely no need for this conversation to take this turn, but I'm not going to sit back and let someone pretend that they have any clue about me.

ETWNAPPEL
07-30-2020, 06:21 PM
This web site has officially been ruined. Sad. Been with this bunch for close to 20
Years. I’ve given up broadcast news, twitter, much of Facebook, and I guess now this.

This is no longer entertainment.

Powermaker
07-30-2020, 06:26 PM
that is not controversial. Its factual.

Lol , I agree !

MickintheHam
07-30-2020, 06:29 PM
This web site has officially been ruined. Sad. Been with this bunch for close to 20
Years. I’ve given up broadcast news, twitter, much of Facebook, and I guess now this.

+1

dan_bgblue
07-30-2020, 06:33 PM
whether they like Marianne or Ginger,

I was doing fine with you until I read this. Blasphemy, man blasphemy

Basket Case
07-30-2020, 06:46 PM

Ditto. Why is it so hard to understand that if you take a political stand you are going to at least offend, if not drive away, half of your audience?

Darryl
07-30-2020, 06:53 PM
Would players be allowed to wear a Confederate flag; an image of Stalin; Trump's picture, etc?

Darryl

Bakert
07-30-2020, 07:16 PM
Want to really give them heart burn, put "Jesus is the Answer" on the jerseys. .

I like Hispanics, too.

:)

Bakert
07-30-2020, 07:23 PM
+1

I have no idea how much you, me, and ETWNAPPEL agree politically, but I agree with your +1 of his post 100%.

Doc
07-30-2020, 07:33 PM
I like Hispanics, too.

Jesus Saves Aka hey-sues swavez

blueboss
07-30-2020, 07:47 PM
I was doing fine with you until I read this. Blasphemy, man blasphemy

Marianne

LakeCat
07-30-2020, 07:48 PM
The reason I said Pandora’s box has been opened has been vividly displayed by the comments in this thread. Sports can unite folks from all walks of life but now it will be politicized with this action. Stu I am sorry for your experiences. There are some terrible news stories of some brutal murders recently perpetrated against whites by blacks so I am sure they have a view towards them similar to yours towards cops. But a individual bad experience does not have universal application. I wish all on this Board peace and hope we get through these perilous times in our Nation

Doc
07-30-2020, 08:09 PM
Marianne

Absolutely. Wholesome as fresh milk

kingcat
07-30-2020, 08:13 PM
And this is why you guys never scored in high school..it's Mary Ann Summers

blueboss
07-30-2020, 08:16 PM

Writing to her never crossed my mind.

Doc
07-30-2020, 08:17 PM

LOL...

Without Googling, you know the Skippers name, the Professors manr and Gilligans full name?

blueboss
07-30-2020, 08:21 PM
Would players be allowed to wear a Confederate flag; an image of Stalin; Trump's picture, etc?

Darryl

How about?

...to who?

blueboss
07-30-2020, 09:16 PM
Great, the ole Ginger/“Mary Ann” quandary got the thread kicked off the sports board.

Catonahottinroof
07-30-2020, 09:39 PM
+1 as has been noted by others

kingcat
07-30-2020, 09:57 PM
LOL...

Without Googling, you know the Skippers name, the Professors manr and Gilligans full name?

Honesltly, I don't know any except Thurston and 'Lovey

CitizenBBN
07-30-2020, 10:18 PM

It's a symptom of our times. Just an observation, but there is in fact no entertainment anywhere. Can't go watch the game, there are likely to be few if any games, it's not a happy time.

Further, sports are now intermingled in politics at a level never before seen. How we untangle politics from sports to keep the board entertaining and politics free is becoming really difficult.

Hang in there. We're trying to undo the knot, but it's not easy. I for one am committed to keeping this board free of the politics of the day, and everyone else agrees. We may have to start moderating more severely, but when UK and Cal and the NCAA and every pro team are knee deep in political issues it's hard to draw the line.

At first we moved every thread that touched on it to the Barber Shop, but for a while frankly that was all the news there was in sports.

But if you guys don't post, then we have even more of a problem. So I say post on sports, etc., and that helps to then make it easy to move the politics somewhere else.

Darryl
07-30-2020, 10:26 PM
It's a symptom of our times. Just an observation, but there is in fact no entertainment anywhere. Can't go watch the game, there are likely to be few if any games, it's not a happy time.

Further, sports are now intermingled in politics at a level never before seen. How we untangle politics from sports to keep the board entertaining and politics free is becoming really difficult.

Hang in there. We're trying to undo the knot, but it's not easy. I for one am committed to keeping this board free of the politics of the day, and everyone else agrees. We may have to start moderating more severely, but when UK and Cal and the NCAA and every pro team are knee deep in political issues it's hard to draw the line.

At first we moved every thread that touched on it to the Barber Shop, but for a while frankly that was all the news there was in sports.

But if you guys don't post, then we have even more of a problem. So I say post on sports, etc., and that helps to then make it easy to move the politics somewhere else.

Chuck, I have always considered you to be a very fair person. My question is, why was the post about Cal and Stoop’s supporting BLM allowed to stay on the sports forum but anything criticizing them automatically gets moved here?

Darryl

CitizenBBN
07-30-2020, 10:37 PM
Chuck, I have always considered you to be a very fair person. My question is, why was the post about Cal and Stoop’s supporting BLM allowed to stay on the sports forum but anything criticizing them automatically gets moved here?

Darryl

And if anyone has a clear answer on how to draw these lines I'm open to suggestions. We don't have some guideline on this one at all, it's totally gray, mostly charcoal, trying to figure out if it's sports or politics, as honestly it's all both right now.

I don't disagree with you at all, but I don't know what to do. If Cal makes an announcement about any topic, do we decide it's too political and we can't discuss it? If we allow it then yes how do we then not let people voice opinions that don't agree, like with any other topic?

But we all agree that eventually that thread will be mostly politics and very little traditional sports and that we're all coming here by and large to escape into sports from all the dreary of the day.

I've asked for discussion of this by the mods so we can try to be consistent, we want to be consistent and fair, but I really don't have a clear answer, and I'm not sure there is one.

we're living in depressing, dangerous times, and the board reflects that like it is reflected everywhere else. We can try to limit that some, to provide that escape, but it's not going to be easy.

I'll post here as things unfold, and I'm very serious I'm open to suggestions and comments about what to do. In the end we all want our happy community, so we're on the same side, but we have to probably all find a way to mutually maintain that in the face of tremendous pressures going on around us.

CitizenBBN
07-30-2020, 10:41 PM
FWIW my only idea at this point is that we all, me included, when we come to that fork in the road as we respond and we are faced with the more or the less politically charged answer, choose the less charged road for a while. Simply so we can try to strengthen our personal connections so that we may survive the political divides.

Not much of an answer, but I do think we all face those forks in the road as we post, and that may help. And I say that knowing some may fork more or less than others, and we may need to help with that as moderators to try to maintain consistency.

If we've failed, maybe that's where.

Doc
07-31-2020, 07:21 AM
Honesltly, I don't know any except Thurston and 'Lovey

Jonus Gumby, Roy Hinkley and Willy Gilligan.

dan_bgblue
07-31-2020, 07:34 AM
I like Hispanics, too.

I see what you did there:trink39:

Bakert
07-31-2020, 08:03 AM
Marianne

Is it Marianne or Mary Anne? Or Mary Ann? I always assumed the latter.

Still, it's not an easy choice!

What about this one - which of the daughters on Petticoat Junction? :)

Bakert
07-31-2020, 08:04 AM
Great, the ole Ginger/“Mary Ann” quandary got the thread kicked off the sports board.

VirginiaCat
07-31-2020, 08:42 AM

Their personal opinions and political positions should end on a corporate uniform.

And if by small fraction you mean 40% viewership then we will see (A&E viewership down 40% since their actions on the Police show).

VirginiaCat
07-31-2020, 08:48 AM
Marianne

Is a threesome out of the question? Marianne, Ginger, and ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VirginiaCat
07-31-2020, 08:52 AM
And if anyone has a clear answer on how to draw these lines I'm open to suggestions. We don't have some guideline on this one at all, it's totally gray, mostly charcoal, trying to figure out if it's sports or politics, as honestly it's all both right now.

I don't disagree with you at all, but I don't know what to do. If Cal makes an announcement about any topic, do we decide it's too political and we can't discuss it? If we allow it then yes how do we then not let people voice opinions that don't agree, like with any other topic?

But we all agree that eventually that thread will be mostly politics and very little traditional sports and that we're all coming here by and large to escape into sports from all the dreary of the day.

I've asked for discussion of this by the mods so we can try to be consistent, we want to be consistent and fair, but I really don't have a clear answer, and I'm not sure there is one.

we're living in depressing, dangerous times, and the board reflects that like it is reflected everywhere else. We can try to limit that some, to provide that escape, but it's not going to be easy.

I'll post here as things unfold, and I'm very serious I'm open to suggestions and comments about what to do. In the end we all want our happy community, so we're on the same side, but we have to probably all find a way to mutually maintain that in the face of tremendous pressures going on around us.

Whether we like it or not (I am an "or not"), the leaders of our sporting world, professional and amateur, have chosed to make their platform not only about sports entertainment but also a political and societal statement. now that they have done that, and until they stop, you will not be able to truly police unless you say all forms of comments on either side have to be removed to the poltiical BOD. the fact taht our Schools admin supports BLM is irreleevant because BLM is a political statement and 100% funds to and from the Democratic party of this country.

kingcat
07-31-2020, 03:53 PM
If I may, the present quandary is this.
This site is a pro UK site in support of the university, its athletic department and the student athletes. And has always maintained an amiable relationship with the athletic department.
For example, it was generally unfair to not allow rival fans to join and argue against the UK program, but we always chose to side with our fans (right or wrong) in support of UK athletics.

And nothing that might be used against UK in recruiting, or otherwise paint the fanbase or student athlete in a bad light, fair or not..was allowed.
The only caveat was when it pertained to criticism of a particular performance on the field or court, style of play, etc... And even then we seek to not overtly offend the student athlete.
That must apply across the board or we risk becoming less and less a pro UK athletics site, and more a political blog and/or a detriment to UK athletics. So it's not a matter of seeking to devalue anyone's opinion, it is a matter of expediency.

That's the fine line we are going to need to walk when expressing our opinions relative to the current socio-political climate. Within reason, there is the Barber Shop forum available to vent. But we must clean up the intense rhetoric on the premium board, even though it admittedly, often bleeds over to what can be considered sports discussion.

And as an entity, ask ourselves this, is the premium forum a place that pretty much any fan of UK can participate in and not be offended?

That should be the goal and if we can come close to it we are good.
But imagine how hard that is currently. We are not a site that has needed much moderation to this point. And so, to take moderator action, even though no personal offense is intended, is frowned upon. When in fact it was always a tool, and responsibility in building the internet home we now enjoy.

blueboss
07-31-2020, 05:25 PM
Is a threesome out of the question? Marianne, Ginger, and ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen them lately??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200801/a6b3e778ab9f849394609658174ecf98.jpg
Ginger has passed up Lovey.

dan_bgblue
08-01-2020, 07:49 AM
https://www.masslive.com/resizer/PiHpkTLdClaBguwt1rsU8YWSjYo=/1280x0/smart/image.masslive.com/home/mass-media/width600/img/breakingnews/photo/2018/09/06/2015-tv-land-awards---red-carpet-923f8166bff8a561.jpg

blueboss
08-01-2020, 08:55 AM
Mary Ann

Catonahottinroof
08-01-2020, 09:36 AM
Well....she is 86 after all....

Have you seen them lately??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200801/a6b3e778ab9f849394609658174ecf98.jpg
Ginger has passed up Lovey.

kingcat
08-01-2020, 09:47 AM
They still are two lovely ladies

blueboss
08-01-2020, 09:49 AM
They still are two lovely ladies

Indeed, however, probably not up to the aforementioned threesome.

kingcat
08-01-2020, 10:57 AM
Indeed, however, probably not up to the aforementioned threesome.

Older folks will surprise you sometimes. We just forget it ever happened so darn quick.

(Forgive me)

CitizenBBN
08-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Mary Ann

Always. It was never a contest IMO.

High maintenance self absorbed versus the quintessential girl next door, both with 36-24-36 type bodies? For me there was no decision at all.