PDA

View Full Version : A little OT? If you wanted an oceanfront/view 2br place to retire to...

VirginiaCat
07-22-2020, 09:12 AM
but budget was $350K...

Where would you guys look?

I would view this as my permanent residence in retirement but would maintain a home where I currently live. If FL, will make sure it is more than 6 months in FL.

Catonahottinroof
07-22-2020, 09:23 AM
Ocean view isn’t attainable here in Naples where I live at that figure, but I’m guessing it can be up in the panhandle. Only drawback to the panhandle is winter does occur there. Short, slight but there is one.

blueboss
07-22-2020, 10:21 AM
I’d go to Amelia Island, which is actually what I’m planning. As stated above with it being in northern FL, there could be weather considerations. I personally wanted some seasonal changes, but nothing drastic.

... also, Amelia Island has never taken a direct hit from a hurricane. They’ve been side swiped and hit from the state side but nothing direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
07-22-2020, 10:40 AM
I would give North Padre island a look. I don't have property there but have a couple of friends that are retired and they left KY to retire there. They really like it and real estate values are easier on the pocket book than they are in FL, or so they tell me.

Darrell KSR
07-22-2020, 10:53 AM
Amelia Island, 2 BR for sale -- used filter "beachfront."

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Amelia-Island_FL/beds-2-2/keyword-beachfront

Panama City Beach has a ton of options. Not my preference; way too busy/touristy, but there are quiet parts. Also, I have a buddy who owns a bunch of places down there if you are interested in that locale, let me know.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Panama-City-Beach_FL/beds-2-2/keyword-beachfront

Santa Rosa Beach would be my option--until I did the same search there, and discovered it would be a lot of people's options. Sigh.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Santa-Rosa-Beach_FL/beds-2-2/keyword-beachfront

I tried Dan's suggestion of North Padre Island and it was giving me a street, so I just put in Corpus Christi, TX instead.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Corpus-Christi_TX/beds-2-2/keyword-beachfront

KSRBEvans
07-22-2020, 10:53 AM
but budget was $350K...

Where would you guys look?

I would view this as my permanent residence in retirement but would maintain a home where I currently live. If FL, will make sure it is more than 6 months in FL.

Are you talking U.S.? Because Mrs. BEvans has seen just about every episode of House Hunters International and I think she could rattle off several places around the world for that price (or less).

dan_bgblue
07-22-2020, 11:03 AM
Looks like there are more offerings in South Padre than in the North

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=padre+island+real+estate

KentuckyWildcat
07-22-2020, 09:16 PM
My picks in order:

Siesta Key (out of price range maybe)
Navarre
Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area
Amelia Isand (my 2nd favorite beach area so far, but I think if I am talking about a house, I think want the white sand)

Not been there, but I'd also look at the Mexico Beach area. Not sure how they have recovered, but could be lots of opportunites down there?

Catonahottinroof
07-22-2020, 09:48 PM
Siesta is 100 miles to my north and we make a trip there pretty frequently. Fabulous beach and beach town!

My picks in order:

Siesta Key (out of price range maybe)
Navarre
Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area
Amelia Isand (my 2nd favorite beach area so far, but I think if I am talking about a house, I think want the white sand)

Not been there, but I'd also look at the Mexico Beach area. Not sure how they have recovered, but could be lots of opportunites down there?

blueboss
07-22-2020, 10:14 PM
Yeah, Mexico beach is gone, might find a piece of property at a good price, however I imagine the pirates have all ready gutted the beach front properties.

CitizenBBN
07-22-2020, 10:20 PM
Are you talking U.S.? Because Mrs. BEvans has seen just about every episode of House Hunters International and I think she could rattle off several places around the world for that price (or less).

PM me some options. Thinking about leaving the US when I retire, or when I flee to a place with poor extradition. :)

I'll be curious on this thread since not sure the Keys will still be here when I retire.

CitizenBBN
07-22-2020, 10:21 PM
Siesta is 100 miles to my north and we make a trip there pretty frequently. Fabulous beach and beach town!

Really like Siesta Key, haven't been there in forever though.

blueboss
07-22-2020, 10:23 PM
We used to lease the same condo in Amelia Island pretty regularly, we became somewhat friends with the lady that owned it. When she decided to sell it she gave us an opportunity to buy it before she put it on the market. 2b/2b ocean front condo 3rd floor. It was about 10-12 years ago $275k, the only problem I had was timing. At the time I wasn’t close enough to retiring and moving, and didn’t want to deal with leasing it.
I even took my father down for a couple of weeks, same with him, timing was just off. It wasn’t long after my mother had passed away and it just wasn’t a good time for him to make a move.

blueboss
07-22-2020, 10:26 PM
PM me some options. Thinking about leaving the US when I retire, or when I flee to a place with poor extradition. :)

I'll be curious on this thread since not sure the Keys will still be here when I retire.

Two words.... Costa Rica. Could be my option B. High school friend has several acres beach frontish. He’s a builder and talking compound with several villas, I have dibsies on a lot.

Terminus
07-22-2020, 10:34 PM
We have friends with a condo on Amelia so I’m partial to that area. It’s a popular spot for the GA/FL cocktail party pilgrimage every year. Fernandina Beach has a nice downtown area with a lot of good restaurants and watering holes. The west end of downtown is the Amelia River and it’s a good spot to find a charter for fishing or a day on the water.

My favorite spot in northeast FL is Crescent Beach. It’s just north of the Mantanzas Inlet and 15 or 20 mins south of St Augustine and I believe would work for that price range. The Atlantic is on the east of course and the Mantanzas River is on the west. Excellent fishing, nice beaches and about an hour to the airport in north Jax and 90 minutes to Orlando.

I love both the Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island areas near Sarasota as well, but would think it’s a bit more pricey there.

Santa Rosa is nice in the panhandle, but I think that area is no longer the hidden gem it once was. I’ve heard positive reviews on Navarre nearby, but haven’t stayed there myself. I had to look it up, couldn’t remember the name, but we did a project in the Oriole Beach/Gulf Breeze area west of there near Pensacola and it was a nice looking area. Not sure what the market looks like there though.

Mexico Beach is still decimated from the hurricane, but the rebuild is slowly progressing. It might be an opportunity to find something at a very good value, but not much beach to speak of in that area and no pets on the beach in that county. It’s more known for Its offshore fishing. There’s a state park at Cape San Blas about 30 mins south of there with a nice beach and excellent camping facilities.

blueboss
07-22-2020, 10:58 PM
We have friends with a condo on Amelia so I’m partial to that area. It’s a popular spot for the GA/FL cocktail party pilgrimage every year. Fernandina Beach has a nice downtown area with a lot of good restaurants and watering holes. The west end of downtown is the Amelia River and it’s a good spot to find a charter for fishing or a day on the water.

My favorite spot in northeast FL is Crescent Beach. It’s just north of the Mantanzas Inlet and 15 or 20 mins south of St Augustine and I believe would work for that price range. The Atlantic is on the east of course and the Mantanzas River is on the west. Excellent fishing, nice beaches and about an hour to the airport in north Jax and 90 minutes to Orlando.

I love both the Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island areas near Sarasota as well, but would think it’s a bit more pricey there.

Santa Rosa is nice in the panhandle, but I think that area is no longer the hidden gem it once was. I’ve heard positive reviews on Navarre nearby, but haven’t stayed there myself. I had to look it up, couldn’t remember the name, but we did a project in the Oriole Beach/Gulf Breeze area west of there near Pensacola and it was a nice looking area. Not sure what the market looks like there though.

Mexico Beach is still decimated from the hurricane, but the rebuild is slowly progressing. It might be an opportunity to find something at a very good value, but not much beach to speak of in that area and no pets on the beach in that county. It’s more known for Its offshore fishing. There’s a state park at Cape San Blas about 30 mins south of there with a nice beach and excellent camping facilities.

Love Crescent Beach too, close enough to St Augustine and far enough from St Augustine. Devils Elbow is my favorite bait shop/outfitters in the world. The fishing is outstanding both inside and out. Great restaurants, plus lots to do within a short distance in all four directions.

Terminus
07-22-2020, 11:40 PM
Love Crescent Beach too, close enough to St Augustine and far enough from St Augustine. Devils Elbow is my favorite bait shop/outfitters in the world. The fishing is outstanding both inside and out. Great restaurants, plus lots to do within a short distance in all four directions.

Know Devil’s Elbow well, Boss, those guys are top notch! If you’re ever looking for a good captain for inshore fishing in Amelia I know a few there and one in particular who’ll really put you on’em and provide an A+ experience if you can get on his schedule in advance.

blueboss
07-23-2020, 06:59 AM
Know Devil’s Elbow well, Boss, those guys are top notch! If you’re ever looking for a good captain for inshore fishing in Amelia I know a few there and one in particular who’ll really put you on’em and provide an A+ experience if you can get on his schedule in advance.

I’ll keep that in mind, usually at Amelia I tear’m up in the surf keeping me plenty busy. Also, lately we’ve been doing the gulf side, I would like to get back to the east coast maybe next trip... get back down to Crescent beach area, Slide in to Saltwater Cowboys for bucket of steamed oysters.

Doc
07-23-2020, 07:06 AM
I’d go to Amelia Island, which is actually what I’m planning. As stated above with it being in northern FL, there could be weather considerations. I personally wanted some seasonal changes, but nothing drastic.

... also, Amelia Island has never taken a direct hit from a hurricane. They’ve been side swiped and hit from the state side but nothing direct.

We are looking in alternate locales here in FL. Want to move farther north when I retire as access to the country is better. Currently for us its a 8 hr drive to ATL which is the waypoint to anywhere for us.

Anyhow, Cocoa Beach is a nice seaside town that is in the affordable range. Are plenty of waterfront with Merrit island, lots of entertainment with Orlando less than a hour away. Plus it is quite quaint. And a couple international airports close by. You will have a hard time finding much in your price range in Amelia Island, and to be honest AI isn't what many percieve

Doc
07-23-2020, 07:11 AM
Two words.... Costa Rica. Could be my option B. High school friend has several acres beach frontish. He’s a builder and talking compound with several villas, I have dibsies on a lot.

Love Costa Rica.

VirginiaCat
07-23-2020, 08:53 AM

You know, we do as well. My wife just not interested in Central/South America.

I would love to look at Italy. Some close to beach that need attention but again, the wife feels too far from family.

VirginiaCat
07-23-2020, 09:46 AM
By the way guys. Awesome info. Thank you.

Had been looking in FWB-Panama City area but like you, I prefer to have zero winter for the time I am down there. But I really do prefer the sand on the Gulf Side.

I will look at South Padre. Not been there before. Is the sand in Texas like the Gulf Sand in FL?

Darrell KSR
07-23-2020, 10:48 AM
I will look at South Padre. Not been there before. Is the sand in Texas like the Gulf Sand in FL?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g56691-d17578958-Reviews-South_Padre_Island_Beach-South_Padre_Island_Texas.html

Catonahottinroof
07-23-2020, 11:10 AM
I’ve done 2 trips to south Padre when I was younger and not married. The water clarity is better on Florida’s panhandle. Secondly we ran into the occasional tar ball on the beach. Locals told us it was due to oil platforms off the coast. Just my .02.

KentuckyWildcat
07-23-2020, 11:15 AM

Had been looking in FWB-Panama City area but like you, I prefer to have zero winter for the time I am down there. But I really do prefer the sand on the Gulf Side.

Siesta Key then :)

Stays pretty warm down there in the winter. And there are several areas around Sarasota that nice sand. Clearwater, treasure island, etc...Sanibel area is a little farther south and really nice a well.

I believe Texas sand is grayish

blueboss
07-23-2020, 11:20 AM

While in the FL panhandle, I’ve met a lot of Texans...most have said no comparison, it’s worth the travel/drive.

Catonahottinroof
07-23-2020, 11:56 AM
Only bad caveat to Clearwater is the Church of Scientology owning copious amounts of real estate within Pinellas County without tax burden. That tax burden falls on the common man....
Siesta Key then :)

Stays pretty warm down there in the winter. And there are several areas around Sarasota that nice sand. Clearwater, treasure island, etc...Sanibel area is a little farther south and really nice a well.

I believe Texas sand is grayish

Darrell KSR
07-23-2020, 12:02 PM
Had been looking in FWB-Panama City area but like you, I prefer to have zero winter for the time I am down there.

Wimps!

Man, I lived in Mobile for a spell. If you call that "winter"...

Month High / Low(°F)
January 60° / 42°
February 64° / 46°
March 70° / 52°

Winter?

blueboss
07-23-2020, 12:11 PM
Wimps!

Man, I lived in Mobile for a spell. If you call that "winter"...

Month High / Low(°F)
January 60° / 42°
February 64° / 46°
March 70° / 52°

Winter?

For me I am kind of looking for a couple months of coolish weather. Even in S FL there can be 2-4 weeks of 40’s-60’s in Jan, Feb... at least that’s the way it was in Jensen Beach in the late 70’s early 80’s when I lived there, which was well before “global warming”. (eye roll).

Darrell KSR
07-23-2020, 12:20 PM
For me I am kind of looking for a couple months of coolish weather. Even in S FL there can be 2-4 weeks of 40’s-60’s in Jan, Feb... at least that’s the way it was in Jensen Beach in the late 70’s early 80’s when I lived there, which was well before “global warming”. (eye roll).

I think anywhere in the state of Florida would work for that. The panhandle would be fine. A little nip in the air is invigorating for a month or so

I remember living in Miami, when the temperature dropped into the 60's, you had these old ladies wearing their fur coats like it was 10 degrees. We laughed about that for a long time. I see some of that in New Orleans, too. I'm walking around with a short sleeve polo shirt, and I see parkas.

Catonahottinroof
07-23-2020, 01:47 PM
I just spent my first winter down here as a resident. 1 night it made it down to 36 degrees. And you know what warning was issued when that happened? Iguanas May fall from the trees. I kid you not...

https://www.winknews.com/2020/01/21/its-so-cold-the-national-weather-service-warns-of-iguanas-falling-from-trees/

I think anywhere in the state of Florida would work for that. The panhandle would be fine. A little nip in the air is invigorating for a month or so

I remember living in Miami, when the temperature dropped into the 60's, you had these old ladies wearing their fur coats like it was 10 degrees. We laughed about that for a long time. I see some of that in New Orleans, too. I'm walking around with a short sleeve polo shirt, and I see parkas.

blueboss
07-23-2020, 03:40 PM

I recall “native Floridians” wearing everything they owned a few times in the winter, while the snow birds would be on the beach in trunks no shirts when it was 60, with the wind howling blowing sand so hard it stung your legs.

I used to have friends visit me in the winter months from time to time, and want me to take them to beach...

Darrell KSR
07-23-2020, 04:05 PM
I just spent my first winter down here as a resident. 1 night it made it down to 36 degrees. And you know what warning was issued when that happened? Iguanas May fall from the trees. I kid you not...

https://www.winknews.com/2020/01/21/its-so-cold-the-national-weather-service-warns-of-iguanas-falling-from-trees/

D., I either recall that happening when I lived in Miami, or something very similar that I don't recall exactly. But as Johnny Carson used to say, "weird, wild stuff" lol.

kingcat
07-23-2020, 04:32 PM

And you could be close to Dick Vitale and have breakfast with him mornings at the Broken Egg in The Village. I think he lives on the block leading from the Village to the ocean.
The Egg he regulars is on that corner.

kingcat
07-23-2020, 04:35 PM

And you could be close to Dick Vitale and have breakfast with him mornings at the Broken Egg in The Village.

Hilton Head is also nice.

CitizenBBN
07-23-2020, 08:03 PM

When I vacationed in Siesta Key Sarasota for the winter my mother and I had a running joke that you could tell where everyone was from that time of year.

The natives were in long sleeves and long pants and had coats on. People from middle America were in shorts and t-shirts and the Canadians were swimming in the water.

CitizenBBN
07-23-2020, 08:06 PM
And you could be close to Dick Vitale and have breakfast with him mornings at the Broken Egg in The Village. I think he lives on the block leading from the Village to the ocean.
The Egg he regulars is on that corner.

I ran into him once there, at Columbia's on Lido Key. We were both there having dinner. That was 2007 I believe.

Then I backed up and ran into him again just to be sure. :)

Darrell KSR
07-23-2020, 09:37 PM
When I vacationed in Siesta Key Sarasota for the winter my mother and I had a running joke that you could tell where everyone was from that time of year.

The natives were in long sleeves and long pants and had coats on. People from middle America were in shorts and t-shirts and the Canadians were swimming in the water.Lol. Funny, because true.

kingcat
07-23-2020, 09:49 PM
I ran into him once there, at Columbia's on Lido Key. We were both there having dinner. That was 2007 I believe.

:happy0001:

VirginiaCat
07-24-2020, 06:57 AM

I love the Columbia chain. That Salad is off the chains! One reason I would prefer the southern Gulf..but dang the prices.

Also love me some Frenchy's Gouper Sandwich!

dan_bgblue
07-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Might be a good time to check out south Padre properties after Hanna passes

Darrell KSR
07-25-2020, 01:49 PM
Might be a good time to check out south Padre properties after Hanna passesCorpus Christi now.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1287096099824599043/video/1

KentuckyWildcat
07-26-2020, 08:08 PM
In Siesta Key a few years ago and a lady said this would be her last winter. Said it was just too cold and she was moving farther south. I asked her how cold it got in the winter. She said in the 70s...

Doc
07-29-2020, 06:17 AM

Hope the body shop was able to remove the dent

VirginiaCat
07-30-2020, 08:52 AM
A small update.

I have found a couple of places in N. Myrtle Beach (Crescent Beach area) I am going to do a virtual tour. Finding a 2BR direct OF is pretty rare so while it will be cooler in winter than we want, a 2BR under $200K direct OF may be too hard to pass up.

CitizenBBN
07-31-2020, 07:04 PM
Keep us posted. I'm following closely on ideas. Thinking of moving to the panhandle where I can afford it, and visit Key West a lot. Probably in a rowboat.

blueboss
07-31-2020, 07:23 PM
A small update.

I have found a couple of places in N. Myrtle Beach (Crescent Beach area) I am going to do a virtual tour. Finding a 2BR direct OF is pretty rare so while it will be cooler in winter than we want, a 2BR under $200K direct OF may be too hard to pass up.

Headline here is 2BR.. keep us informed.

VirginiaCat
08-03-2020, 03:14 PM
Ok,

We got beat to the offer on the unit we wanted. We had found a 3rd Story OF 2BR/2BA Corner Unit (914sqft). It was in pretty good condition. Maybe needed some paint but appliances under 1 year old and beds/mattresses under 2 years with new HVAC 3 years ago. Only problem was small pool which our 12YO daughter did not like. But man, the HOA called to me at $384. They were asking $214,900. I was looking at options but had planned to offer about $205,000.

Well, someone grabbed that sucker at full price last night. Here was the unit: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4303-S-Ocean-Blvd-302_North-Myrtle-Beach_SC_29582_M90991-02557?view=qv

I did worry about steps as I age. My knees are not what they once were so maybe it was not meant to be!

We already have another lined up. I will update as we make moves!

KSRBEvans
08-04-2020, 01:53 PM
^There's a show on HGTV called Beachfront Bargain Hunt that has a lot of properties at reasonable prices. I always thought if I were in the market I'd look at some of the locations where they shoot their episodes and search there.

Catonahottinroof
08-04-2020, 02:14 PM
I have a first floor unit condo in Naples simply due to that concern. I have multiple sclerosis and some days I can do steps and some days I can’t. So I couldn’t risk a necessary use of steps every day.
Ok,

We got beat to the offer on the unit we wanted. We had found a 3rd Story OF 2BR/2BA Corner Unit (914sqft). It was in pretty good condition. Maybe needed some paint but appliances under 1 year old and beds/mattresses under 2 years with new HVAC 3 years ago. Only problem was small pool which our 12YO daughter did not like. But man, the HOA called to me at $384. They were asking $214,900. I was looking at options but had planned to offer about $205,000.

Well, someone grabbed that sucker at full price last night. Here was the unit: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4303-S-Ocean-Blvd-302_North-Myrtle-Beach_SC_29582_M90991-02557?view=qv

I did worry about steps as I age. My knees are not what they once were so maybe it was not meant to be!

We already have another lined up. I will update as we make moves!

VirginiaCat
08-12-2020, 08:51 PM
^There's a show on HGTV called Beachfront Bargain Hunt that has a lot of properties at reasonable prices. I always thought if I were in the market I'd look at some of the locations where they shoot their episodes and search there.

I have a first floor unit condo in Naples simply due to that concern. I have multiple sclerosis and some days I can do steps and some days I can’t. So I couldn’t risk a necessary use of steps every day.

We watch BFBH all the time. But many times they really are not beachfront, but "in walking distance". Especially in FL except Panama City area. FL was just out of our price range. So was HHI.

Darrin, on the first floor...my wife does not like first. Wants elevated so she can see. Also worries more about storm damage and flooding on first floor. But in your case, it is 1st floor or elevator. I get it.

Guys, we now have an accepted offer on a 10th floor unit at Sands Beach Club in Myrtle Beach. 2Bed, 2Bath. Direct OF. Need to update bathrooms but that is style, not function. Got it for under $180K.

I wish it was under $625 HOA but will live with that for direct OF!

blueboss
08-13-2020, 02:20 PM
If it flys, floats, f@&$s, or its ocean front... rent it.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2020, 08:44 PM
We watch BFBH all the time. But many times they really are not beachfront, but "in walking distance". Especially in FL except Panama City area. FL was just out of our price range. So was HHI.

Darrin, on the first floor...my wife does not like first. Wants elevated so she can see. Also worries more about storm damage and flooding on first floor. But in your case, it is 1st floor or elevator. I get it.

Guys, we now have an accepted offer on a 10th floor unit at Sands Beach Club in Myrtle Beach. 2Bed, 2Bath. Direct OF. Need to update bathrooms but that is style, not function. Got it for under $180K.

I wish it was under $625 HOA but will live with that for direct OF!Congratulations, VirginiaCat! That's great.

NCAA basketball Final Four 2021 watch party at your place!

VirginiaCat
08-14-2020, 02:24 PM
Congratulations, VirginiaCat! That's great.

NCAA basketball Final Four 2021 watch party at your place!

I wish I could. The Dear Wife has announced to me no one allowed to stay there until she has fully redecorated which includes remodels of master bath and kitchen and adding a Washer/Dryer Closet. I sense a lot of honeydos after 8 hours of driving in my future!

BigBluePappy
08-15-2020, 07:04 PM
I wish I could. The Dear Wife has announced to me no one allowed to stay there until she has fully redecorated which includes remodels of master bath and kitchen and adding a Washer/Dryer Closet. I sense a lot of honeydos after 8 hours of driving in my future!

I actually enjoy redecorating/remodeling to satisfy my wife's "visions".
Redecorated the Family Room/Woman Cave this week.
Since I do 95% of the work it keeps it reasonable and by keeping the house more updated at least the kids will have a nice property to sell when Grammy and I graduate to Glory.

CitizenBBN
08-15-2020, 08:41 PM
Since I do 95% of the work it keeps it reasonable and by keeping the house more updated at least the kids will have a nice property to sell when Grammy and I graduate to Glory.

I've got a bunch of work to do on my house. Since you enjoy it, we need to talk. :)

BigBluePappy
08-16-2020, 05:41 AM
I've got a bunch of work to do on my house. Since you enjoy it, we need to talk. :)

Grammy gets a special deal; she is an awesome country cook and she takes very good care of me. Think of the Proverbs woman.
And, she is the Chairman of the Board, CEO, CFO and controlling partner of Cliffco; you will have to see if she can work you into her schedule. :)

VirginiaCat
08-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Pappy, I wish I had those skills. I can paint and do basic stuff but tearing out a tub and sink/vanity and toilet go beyond my ability. Same with cabinets and counters in kitchen. And we are going to remove the wet bar and make a washer/dryer closet..

CitizenBBN
08-16-2020, 08:17 PM
And we are going to remove the wet bar and make a washer/dryer closet..

Communist.

VirginiaCat
08-17-2020, 07:00 AM
Communist.

I thought the same thing but it is literally 5 steps to full kitchen from the wet bar...prefer that to walking to other end of the hallway to do laundry..or I should say my dear wife does...

BigBluePappy
08-17-2020, 08:24 AM
I thought the same thing but it is literally 5 steps to full kitchen from the wet bar...prefer that to walking to other end of the hallway to do laundry..or I should say my dear wife does...

And I do believe you sell yourself short on your skillset, sir. Try doing a vanity and if you do not have to move the plumbing, a toilet install. You would be surprised at what you can do.

VirginiaCat
08-31-2020, 01:14 PM
Guys, thought I would post a mini-update on our MB Condo Purchase.

Inspection came back and not a lot major (leak in shower handle, warped cabinet bottom under kitchen sink, broken electric receptacle) except the HVAC had some leakage in the duct work. Also found out the HVAC was over 20 years old.

We asked owner to address plumbing leak an HVAC leak. Due to age, the HVAC company would not certify their repair would work. The owner, of his own accord, has volunteered to replace the HVAC system in full. Now that is a quality individual.

Closing is next Wednesday!

VirginiaCat
06-28-2022, 08:55 AM
Ok quick equity update on my retirement condo...

We have updated the Kitchen with new cabinets and a new dishwasher. Wife has painted and decorated the whole place so it looks nice. Still have to update the bathrooms and install a laundry area so still some money to spend.

Having said that, based on other sales in the condo we have gained $140K in equity since Sept. 2020! That depends on current market staying the same and has been helped my Myrtle Beach being listed as the cheapest place to buy for ocean.

The downside lessons we have learned (we had never had a vacation/retirment 2nd home before) was about the annual assessments on top of the HOA for a 40 year old building (the collapse of the condo in Miami did not help) and the Additional Insurance (not HO6, I expected that) that is assessed every year. Those have added up to about $6000 addtional negative cash flow each year.

KentuckyWildcat
06-28-2022, 09:31 AM
For $140,000 profit I would have to think about selling. That would pay for a lot of vacations lol

suncat05
06-28-2022, 04:17 PM
I am very happy here in Titusville, Florida. I can walk out to the end of my driveway and watch the space shots going up, and the launches at night are just spectacular.
I most certainly would not mind a few more Kentucky fans living around me here, as opposed to all of the stinking snow buzzards from places like NY, NJ, Michigan, Illinois, etc.

kingcat
06-29-2022, 12:24 AM
I like the Ponce Inlet area. If I can hit this daggone lottery I may give it a hard look.
Siesta Key would be my top choice on the Gulf lake side.

KentuckyWildcat
06-29-2022, 09:33 AM
Siesta Key would be my top choice on the Gulf lake side.

My favorite US beach so far.

CitizenBBN
06-30-2022, 10:00 AM
I like the beach at Siesta Key. The overdevelopment not as much. It was busy when I first went down 40 years ago. Now it's completely developed. Back then most of the north part of the island was still just a few homes and mangroves.

Of course that's the story of Florida everywhere.

VirginiaCat
06-30-2022, 01:17 PM
Having just been on Sanibel and Captiva for a week back in March, I have to say I did not enjoy those islands. Just way too isolated from a supply standpoint and took an hour to get off the island to get anything. Also, the beaches were very small and steep.

blueboss
06-30-2022, 05:18 PM
Crescent Beach just south of St Augustine is one of my favorites. Nice wide, flat beach with a minimal dune line. It’s the ocean so the tides are more pronounced and typically a tad rougher depending on weather.

Plus it’s close enough to St Augustine to be able to enjoy the restaurants, shops and attractions.

…also, my favorite bait and tackle shop/outfitters is located there, Devils Elbow.

CGWildcat
07-08-2022, 11:04 PM
My roommate won't leave CA. The ONLY place she would consider back east is St Thomas or St John. I do have her thinking about Nevada around Carson City. East side of Lake Tahoe and another smaller lake called Washoe Lake. No tax on military retirement, lower cost of living and still close enough to CA, wineries etc that she may actually go for it in the next year or two. We've been renting the same place since we moved here in 2005 starting at 2600/month and for the last 5-6 years it's been 3k/month.

Her side of the family grandkids are in north GA which she/we visit about every 2-3 months. My grandkids are in Utah, and son and his wife in Nebraska.Aside from the politics, progressive policies, cost of living, and you're never certain if it's a guy or girl or cis, or pan or dumbass you're talking too, its a great place.

dan_bgblue
07-10-2022, 09:19 AM
St. Thomas and St John are both great places to visit. After my first visit to St Thomas I came home thinking it was closer to home than Hawaii, and the water and scenery were every bit as attractive. Remember I said visit. The Hurricane weather keeps me from considering it as a 2nd home. We have been back a couple of times and the short flight beats the he11 out the 8 hour trip to the 50th state.