PDA

View Full Version : Aww. Elderly mayor of Clanton died of Covid-19 today

Darrell KSR
07-09-2020, 08:44 PM
84, definitely a high risk patient and not surprising he couldn't beat it. Was transferred to St. Vincent's Hospital in Birmingham last week. Thought he was doing better early this week, then everything started shutting down.

He was mayor for 35 or 36 years and was planning on retiring in January. Never lost a local election.

If you have ever stopped off to get Peach ice cream or a sandwich at Peach Park on your way to or from the beach on I-65, you were in his town. He's been a very popular Mayor his entire life.

Rest in peace, Mayor.

Doc
07-09-2020, 08:52 PM
:1361:

blueboss
07-09-2020, 10:37 PM
Clanton was/is always one my stops coming and going...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickintheHam
07-09-2020, 11:55 PM
Billy Joe Driver really marketed Clanton, AL and made it a must stop venue along the interstate. He was a proponent of changing the water tower into a giant peach. He made the peach the symbol of the city. You don't find people in politics as popular as this guy. He got everyone in the city moving in a positive direction. RIP Billy Joe.

dan_bgblue
07-10-2020, 08:15 AM
I do not intend for this comment to be disrespectful of his passing but I am thankful for Covid as without it his passing would have been credited to old age.