PDA

View Full Version : Stan the Man dies

jazyd
01-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Stan Musial one of the greatest players ever in baseball and my childhood hero died Sat night after batteling Alzheimers for a number of years. Not only one of the greatest on the field but one of if not the greatest off the field. Always time for fans, never a bad word, grew up in mining country, gave up a year to serve in the navy in WWII, had 3630 hits, 1815 at home, 1815 on the road, 24 time all star in 22 seasons, at his retirement held 17 baseball records, still holds most Cardinal records.

I had the pleasure to meet him once in my early 30's and felt like a young kid again, he was gracious enough to come to our table and sign several autographs for me which I still have 30 yrs later.

Baseball not only lost a legend from the field Sat night but they lost a legend off the field as well. I know he is resting in peace now and has rejoined his sweet wife in heaven and I am sure he is showing God just how he perfected that stance of his.

Darrell KSR
01-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Terrific tribute. Perhaps most impressive of all of his statistics, however, is that he was married 71 years to that sweet wife you described.

A tiny amount before my time, but a staple of St. Louis Cardinals fan history.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

Catonahottinroof
01-24-2013, 06:25 PM
He was Mr Cardinal and was the reference point that my father used to described Cardinals games he attended as a kid.