PDA

View Full Version : Say Goodbye to My Old Kentucky Home at the Derby and UK Sports

dtalbersjr
06-27-2020, 04:39 PM
NBC Sports is covering today’s big races at Churchill. Leaving the prior race, they noted that they were turning to the Stephen Foster Handicap, and said that it is named for the noted songwriter who wrote many songs, including MOKH, then said this:

“We do think it’s important to note, that this song, like many parts of American culture, has come under renewed scrutiny in recent weeks for its depictions of slavery in the pre-Civil War South, and we do want to acknowledge that discussion.”

I’d say there is less than a 10% chance MOKH, which is an anti-slavery song that significantly pre-dates the Civil War, will be played when the horses take the track for the Derby on September 5. And even less of a chance we hear it at Commonwealth or in Rupp again.

Terry Blue
06-27-2020, 04:44 PM
Pathetic

TRUCKERCATFAN
06-27-2020, 05:36 PM
Won’t be able to order black coffee before long.

UKFlounder
06-27-2020, 05:52 PM
Interestingly, or maybe ironically, MOKH, was originally entitled “Dear Uncle Tom, Good Night,” but Foster thought that title might offend slave owners in Kentucky, so he changed it (an early example of political correctness, I suppose.)

On another hand, the fact that the word “darkies” was in the song’s official lyrics until1986 is rather pathetic, though I doubt many people realize that.They see references to “old” times in the south and slavery pops to mind, and though MOKH can be interpreted as being sympathetic towards slaves, anything about that peculiar institution is going to be under a microscope these days.

dan_bgblue
06-27-2020, 07:16 PM
https://songofamerica.net/song/my-old-kentucky-home/

kingcat
06-27-2020, 07:26 PM
Everything will float that should float eventually. And everything that should sink will sink. If one pushes too hard you find you are defeating your purpose and tat turns to tit. If slavery is not to be mentioned (I'm fine with that) and the use of names, words, and images associated with it (fine with that too) are abolished, then it will have to hold equally true for every American.

When that reality sits in, those who are truly racist of every color will stand alone in the spotlight.

UKHistory
06-27-2020, 08:01 PM
That song has a special place in my heart. I love it. The term which is now omitted and replaced would raise controversy. It spoke to its time.

I understand a verse Or two of the star spangled banner has a bad reference

My old Kentucky home is my song. And Kentucky in so many ways is my country

Bakert
06-27-2020, 09:15 PM
That song has a special place in my heart. I love it. The term which is now omitted and replaced would raise controversy. It spoke to its time.

I understand a verse Or two of the star spangled banner has a bad reference

My old Kentucky home is my song. And Kentucky in so many ways is my country

Great post, particularly the last paragraph.

catmanjack
06-27-2020, 09:37 PM
These things are huge, they the BLM will tear the USA apart and stop at nothing.
The scary part is the young whites are right there with them and don’t care.
I fear there will again be a civil war, not if but when!

KeithKSR
06-28-2020, 10:19 AM
These things are huge, they the BLM will tear the USA apart and stop at nothing.

That is their stated goal.

catmanjack
06-28-2020, 10:48 AM
The sad but true part is they have the young white group jumping on board.

dan_bgblue
06-28-2020, 08:26 PM
The name of John Wayne Airport in Cali is slated for change

Linkage (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-democrats-resolution-john-wayne-airport-renamed)

blueboss
06-29-2020, 04:37 PM
https://youtu.be/fsQj46swDvI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
06-29-2020, 07:25 PM
Happy did it the best

dan_bgblue
07-11-2020, 02:07 PM
USC is scrubbing the Duke's exhibit at his alma mater. (https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/usc-school-cinematic-arts-remove-john-wayne-exhibit)

CitizenBBN
07-11-2020, 02:44 PM
Like I said, if they get rid of any of his things, they need to call me.

Doc
07-11-2020, 02:57 PM
As long as we are scrubbing history, I say scrub slavery. That way there is nothing to base "reparations" on.