PDA

View Full Version : The Current Virus Surge

dan_bgblue
06-20-2020, 09:19 AM
This is not going away any time soon IMO

https://www.foxnews.com/us/states-coronavirus-surges-health-officials-combination-factors

bigsky
06-20-2020, 09:37 AM
No. Some areas will roll back into stricter regulations. Higher ed and sports still look iffy

KentuckyWildcat
06-20-2020, 10:04 AM
No. Some areas will roll back into stricter regulations. Higher ed and sports still look iffy

On the plus side for higher ed, they are finally listening to me about recording their lectures to easily make them available when the campus is closed.

kingcat
06-20-2020, 10:27 AM
I question our leadership through the pandemic. History will not be kind to this group of wise American elders.
The "screw it, I got mine" generation.

KeithKSR
06-20-2020, 10:46 AM
The “surge” isn’t producing a corresponding surge in deaths and hospitalizations.

Darrell KSR
06-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Well, we opened up the country again because we needed to. I had no problem with that.

But we need to do so in a way that protects us the best way we know. That's everybody wearing a mask. We can do this and still not bankrupt the nation.

kingcat
06-20-2020, 11:27 AM
The “surge” isn’t producing a corresponding surge in deaths and hospitalizations.

Hopefully that continues. Most all hospitalizations take place two to three weeks after infection. Related deaths even longer.

Darrell KSR
06-20-2020, 11:30 AM
As far as deaths are concerned, we're seeing a "surge" only in isolated areas. Unfortunately, it's still high.

Here's what we should be seeing, and what we're actually seeing. Please, wear a mask.

KentuckyWildcat
06-20-2020, 11:32 AM
But we need to do so in a way that protects us the best way we know.

Not possible IMO. Too many do not care enough.

kingcat
06-20-2020, 11:35 AM
Well, we opened up the country again because we needed to. I had no problem with that.

But we need to do so in a way that protects us the best way we know. That's everybody wearing a mask. We can do this and still not bankrupt the nation.

Thats exactly right. It can be easy enough.

But when not wearing a mask or taking the virus serious is portrayed as proudly exercising your right as an American by our nations leader; and most of his followers consider the absence of a mask a badge of constitutional honor, how can we expect do this?

And I am certainly aware that the willingness to politicize the pandemic at the expense of our citizens is not only limited to hard core conservatives.

Catonahottinroof
06-20-2020, 11:40 AM
At this point, I don’t trust the average schmo to be wearing a mask. I must wear one for my own damn health, and avoid everyone not in one........

Padukacat
06-20-2020, 11:40 PM
Isn’t everyone going to get this in the next five years or does a vaccine cure this better than the normal flu. I was kind of thinking it would be good to see the case numbers go up during the summer so that it doesn’t overwhelm the hospitals this fall, wasn’t that the original plan?

KeithKSR
06-21-2020, 07:35 AM
Pandemics traditionally die out through infection, this one will be no different.

dan_bgblue
06-21-2020, 08:00 AM
I sm not sure the herd affect will work out with this virus. The antibodies that are present in people that have been afflicted with the virus and recover are not lasting more than a couple months. That is not typical of viruses we are used to seeing.

KeithKSR
06-21-2020, 11:09 AM
I sm not sure the herd affect will work out with this virus. The antibodies that are present in people that have been afflicted with the virus and recover are not lasting more than a couple months. That is not typical of viruses we are used to seeing.

Herd immunity occurs once a large portion of a population has had the virus and the virus has a difficult time spreading. Is there evidence of reinfection?

KSRBEvans
06-21-2020, 11:23 AM
Mayo Clinic.com article--Herd immunity and COVID-19 (coronavirus): What you need to know (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808)

Doc
06-21-2020, 01:26 PM
On the plus side for higher ed, they are finally listening to me about recording their lectures to easily make them available when the campus is closed.

doing so put high salaried university administrators jobs at risk. They have no desire to lower the costs of education by doing things like this. They want students ON CAMPUS as that leads to more $$$ in the coffers of the schools to be distributed to the faculty.

KentuckyWildcat
06-21-2020, 01:42 PM
doing so put high salaried university administrators jobs at risk. They have no desire to lower the costs of education by doing things like this. They want students ON CAMPUS as that leads to more $$$ in the coffers of the schools to be distributed to the faculty.

Not at all for us. Our cost is about as cheap as it gets. Our issue is being able to find quality faculty willing to teach for our pay. We depend on numerous adjuncts. In our tech programs, we can often find people to teach the labs, but not qualified for the lectures. We also do not have housing for students. But yes, most 4 years and bigger 2 years want students on campus because they make a fortune off of housing and food services.

We really need to drain the swamp in KCTCS...Our system office has the over paid administrators.

dan_bgblue
07-13-2020, 12:10 PM
https://www.foxnews.com/science/cdc-best-estimate-40-percent-covid-19-infections-asymptomatic