PDA

View Full Version : Another shooting caught on camera in Atlanta but...

UKHistory
06-14-2020, 01:49 PM
A guy falls asleep in a Wendy’s drive through. He failed a breathalyzer test. He resists arrest. He grabs a cop’s taser and flees. He shoots the taser at the police and is shot by one of the officers.

The policeman was fired? Huh? Of all the recent shootings I find the least fault with the police on this one

The deceased fired a taser at the officers but if the breathalyzer was accurate, he had been driving under the influence.

The man was a danger to the public. I don’t see how an officer could or rather shoulder be fired so quickly under these circumstances.

Darryl
06-14-2020, 02:10 PM
Officer was white; Mayor is black. Black Racism running rampant....

Darryl

UKHistory
06-14-2020, 02:16 PM
Racism or scapegoating. To fire an officer without any review is terrible. An angry drunk driver who took an officer’s taser? Clearly justifiable in my view.

catmanjack
06-14-2020, 02:45 PM
Cops need to protest. I would not want to be a cop yesterday, today or tomorrow.
America is about earning your way and respect not about getting handouts.
Hard working Americans no matter the race understand what is happening.

Doc
06-14-2020, 03:18 PM
A guy falls asleep in a Wendy’s drive through. He failed a breathalyzer test. He resists arrest. He grabs a cop’s taser and flees. He shoots the taser at the police and is shot by one of the officers.

The policeman was fired? Huh? Of all the recent shootings I find the least fault with the police on this one

The deceased fired a taser at the officers but if the breathalyzer was accurate, he had been driving under the influence.

The man was a danger to the public. I don’t see how an officer could or rather shoulder be fired so quickly under these circumstances.

One of the things I disagree with is that if you are in a car driver seat and intoxicated, you can be charged with DUI. In some states the key needs to be in the ignition but car not need be running. IMO that isnt driving (as an aside).

Here the guy was reportedly blocking the drive thru which is why popo called.

The victim clearly was resisting arrest, fought the officers, bringing both down, took the tazer and shot it at the officers. Now the issue is was the response appropriate. The drunk resisting guy took a shot with the tazer. Should the officer respond with a tazer? Oh, wait he didnt have a tazer because the guy took it. So if a guy pulls a knife are police obligated to return aggession with a knife....or can they escalate to a gun? Or do they let the guy go? So now you encourage resisting arrest because if you get away the police should let you go? How stupid is that?

Doc
06-14-2020, 03:25 PM
Racism or scapegoating. To fire an officer without any review is terrible. An angry drunk driver who took an officer’s taser? Clearly justifiable in my view.

But if they dont fire then COVERUP. Hey, I have no doubt that in the past there has been coverups of police abuse. In this case, put him on leave until investigation however the current climate and capitulation to the woke generation won't allow that. Not all to blame on them because years of cover ups and governmental whitewashing of police abuse has made many suspicious that it will happen again. Initially I was thinking the police officers were out of line until I saw the video. A man getting killed is horrible but this was not George Floyd. Worse case poor judgement but not really. The guy was fighting for the officers weapon. Rest assured had he gotten the gun, he would have fired it at the officers. In this case the victim is to blame. Don't resist and if you have a case or complaint then file it.

catmanjack
06-14-2020, 03:31 PM
Split second decisions of life and death have to be mad and we the public do not know what is happening in the moment or how we would react.

UKHistory
06-14-2020, 03:46 PM
I’d let Atlanta burn if I was the police.

Now I thought the cops in buffalo quitting after two got suspended for knocking the 70 year old down was a bad look.

But these two cops in brooks death should at least be investigated.

Darryl
06-14-2020, 04:00 PM
I’d let Atlanta burn if I was the police.

Now I thought the cops in buffalo quitting after two got suspended for knocking the 70 year old down was a bad look.

But these two cops in brooks death should at least be investigated.

You seem like a very fair person.

Darryl

UKHistory
06-14-2020, 06:33 PM
Darryl

I try to be fair. Far from right even half the time. But I want to be fair and consistent in my approach.

suncat05
06-15-2020, 04:04 PM
God, I am sooooooo glad that I am retired.

JMHO, but a taser is on a timer, but during that tme, IF both probes connect and complete the circuit, then the taser operator has time to drop the taser and do something else to whoever gets tased. But IMHO, it's still a use of force, and the Use of Force Matrix states that the next higher level of force against that is authorized.
As in this circumstance.
He had physically overpowered TWO law enforcement officers and partially disarmed one of them while being intoxicated and illegally operating a motor vehicle in the state of Georgia, and then physically resisted arrest and then turned and engaged both officers with a disabling device.
Hmmmmm..........if it had been me, and he attempted to taser me, he's getting shot.
Period. End of fight.
JMHO, but the officers acted within the scope of their authority, and I am pretty sure they acted within the scope of their agency's Policy & Procedure too. And I am sure that they were both in fear for their lives at that time.
And I hope they get a really good, nasty attorney that LOVES suing the po-lice and the city of Atlanta.
I think these two officers just hit the jackpot lotto!

UKHistory
06-15-2020, 07:13 PM
If all the recorders shootings, this is an easy one to support the police.

The Atlanta mayor on a short list for both This should be. A strike against her for firing the officer without a hearing

suncat05
06-17-2020, 07:12 PM
I was driving up to Titusville today to spend a couple of days with my wife, as the 18th is our 15th wedding anniversary.
As I was driving I was listening to the State Attorney lay out his case for charging these 2 officers on Hannity. Seems they have witnesses and a police informant, AN OFFICER that works with these two who have been charged.
I would love to hear what he has to say.
In listening to the SAO, I am very skeptical that they have a good case. The SAO, if I understood him correctly, has the shooting officer charged with at least three types of charges. Can you say "overcharging"? He even invoked 'Tennessee v Garner', which in my mind is a stretch because of the circumstances.
Again, I want to know what the informing officer has to say.
This trial, and yes, I am sure this will go before a jury, is going to be a circus.

I am sooooo glad that I am retired! 😉

Darryl
06-17-2020, 08:03 PM
Apparently, Atlanta Police officers walking off the job; not reporting to work, etc

Darryl

dan_bgblue
06-17-2020, 08:11 PM
I was driving up to Titusville today to spend a couple of days with my wife, as the 18th is our 15th wedding anniversary.
As I was driving I was listening to the State Attorney lay out his case for charging these 2 officers on Hannity. Seems they have witnesses and a police informant, AN OFFICER that works with these two who have been charged.
In listening to the SAO, I am very skeptical that they have a good case. The SAO, if I understood him correctly, has the shooting officer charged with at least three types of charges. Can you say "overcharging"? He even invoked 'Tennessee v Garner', which in my mind is a stretch because of the circumstances.
This trial, and yes, I am sure this will go before a jury, is going to be a circus.

I am sooooo glad that I am retired! ��

Since you are retired you will have plenty of time to keep track of this case. :party0052:

Please keep us up to date on the proceedings

KeithKSR
06-18-2020, 01:50 AM

I am sooooo glad that I am retired! ��

The prosecutor is setting up the nation for a riot situation when he is unable to convict.

UKHistory
06-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Apparently, Atlanta Police officers walking off the job; not reporting to work, etc

Darryl

Don't know how many but enough have blue flu. Without an investigation I am taken aback. Now the shots in the back give me pause (he firing the taser turning around in mid run so I can see it here) and apparently he kicked the body. Not good.

But the resisting arrest, stealing a weapon and firing it all allow me to side with the police.

Keith's comment that the Atlanta prosecutor is setting the country up for a riot may be correct. If the policeman can get a change of venue, I am inclined to think he can get a fair trial that may lead to a not guilty verdict.

Atlanta is not a place he can get a fair trial.

Doc
06-18-2020, 09:39 AM
Don't know how many but enough have blue flu. Without an investigation I am taken aback. Now the shots in the back give me pause (he firing the taser turning around in mid run so I can see it here) and apparently he kicked the body. Not good.

But the resisting arrest, stealing a weapon and firing it all allow me to side with the police.

Keith's comment that the Atlanta prosecutor is setting the country up for a riot may be correct. If the policeman can get a change of venue, I am inclined to think he can get a fair trial that may lead to a not guilty verdict.

Atlanta is not a place he can get a fair trial.

On the kicking the body...reports are that is false. That came from a still photo with the officer on a leg and the other off the ground, as it could have been walking. Were he to have kicked the PERPETRATOR, the video certainly would have been taken and released by now. Additionally there are reports that they did not render aide after the shooting. The officers attorney claims that is false as well. I tend to agree as this entire thing was caught on video yet no video of the kicking or the lacknof aide has been seen.

I hope there is a change of venue....to Stuart Florida, where we value black lives, police officers lives/safety, due process for all, as well as law and order.

I find this incident odd in that one of the complaints by African Anericans is they are not treated with respect, assumed guilty of a crime and are subject to harrassment by the police. The officers were called to the scene so it wasnt a "hey, lets harrass some black dudes", they treated him politely and respect...far more than he did them. He acousted them (had the officers laid a whoopin on him like he did on them then I would certainly be in Mr Brooks corner), he took one of their weapons and fired it at them (imagine if the officers did that upon walking to the car!). Apparently now the new standard is that if you can get away from the police then you should be let go... and if you can get their weapon, you should be allowed to get away. Police are under scrutiny for using tasers, and in GA they have charged using them as deadly weapons when used against people by the police. When Mr Brooks obtained the taser, as a convicted felon (which he was) he committed yet another felony as it is a felony in GA to possess a taser if you have been convicted of a felony. His death was a result of his actions, not.the police