PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone area vacation recommendations needed

Padukacat
06-09-2020, 04:11 PM
So due to cancellations with flights to Disney and Denver I think we may sneak a family trip in to Yellowstone area because we can fly into Billings for about $200/ea and have tons of vouchers to use. With that said, where do we go from there? I’m open to staying in one area such as around the perimeter of Yellowstone, the Tetons, or Jackson hole. Also fond of moving around and staying in a few spots. Only there from Sunday to Friday and will rent a car and be mobile from Billings. Looking at last week of July. Planning to air bnb. I figure big sky will have some ideas, but others have probably been. We want to basically hike and sightsee. We’ve done Yosemite and loved that. It will be the family with two senior boys and a freshman girl. Would love to stay in a place I can wake up to a view off my porch which is probably all of them. Fire away!!!!

KentuckyWildcat
06-09-2020, 04:18 PM
I recommend you take me with you.

Padukacat
06-09-2020, 04:28 PM
I recommend you take me with you.

I don’t want to make any enemies, my kids would probably make you crazy.

dan_bgblue
06-09-2020, 05:12 PM
bigsky would be my go to guy for info on that area

bigsky
06-09-2020, 10:22 PM
Message me or call 406-599-5836 maybe tomorrow

Padukacat
06-09-2020, 11:07 PM

Will do thanks!

catmanjack
06-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Please post any updates Padukacat.

KentuckyWildcat
06-10-2020, 09:55 AM
I don’t want to make any enemies, my kids would probably make you crazy.

Too late, my kids have already made me crazy.

I hope you post pictures and share your experience. I hope to visit that region of the US some day. But that might be with my 2nd wife before it happens. Just not sure how I can explain that to my current wife.

Padukacat
06-10-2020, 10:10 PM
Too late, my kids have already made me crazy.

I hope you post pictures and share your experience. I hope to visit that region of the US some day. But that might be with my 2nd wife before it happens. Just not sure how I can explain that to my current wife.

This is my first Yellowstone trip. Thanks to Bigsky I was able to figure out a good itinerary and got it all booked today. Things were filling up fast. Not a cheap trip but we have flight money to burn by Friday so had to do something. I’ve wanted to do this a while my wife isn’t an outdoors type but she gave in. It was that or I was on to number two. Jk.

Padukacat
08-04-2020, 09:09 PM
I have a million pictures, some really good ones, but wanted to share one and let you guys know this was a MAGICAL vacation. I planned for two months and it was everything I expected and more. Thanks to Bigsky for some advice too, I actually texted him as I went through Bozeman, he helped create a wonderful city. Great place!

Padukacat
08-04-2020, 09:11 PM
Not sure why those are sideways...just turn your head so I can save the effort.

Darrell KSR
08-04-2020, 10:16 PM
Looked like a great time was had by all! 95389539

Padukacat
08-04-2020, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the rotate friend!

CitizenBBN
08-04-2020, 11:20 PM
Was more interesting when the water was flowing sideways. Now THAT would be worth a trip. :)

PedroDaGr8
08-05-2020, 12:48 PM
So the wife and I look to be driving out to Yellowstone later this month (Aug. 15th-21) . Any tips or tricks you could advise based on what BigSky told you? Obviously this is more last minute but the more information the better.

Any advice for a bit more last minute? I don't want to be so presumptuous as to msg you directly.

KentuckyWildcat
08-05-2020, 06:32 PM
Glad you guys had fun. Really hope to go some day.

CitizenBBN
08-05-2020, 09:43 PM
Pedro - My advice is don't go, stay there and cure Covid. I want to go out again. ;)

Can't get much more socially distanced than a supervolcano caldera.

Darrell KSR
08-05-2020, 09:50 PM
Pedro - My advice is don't go, stay there and cure Covid. I want to go out again. ;)

Can't get much more socially distanced than a supervolcano caldera.X2, Pedro. Please.

CitizenBBN
08-05-2020, 10:06 PM
X2, Pedro. Please.

Kids are so lazy these days. Jeez.

Padukacat
08-05-2020, 11:26 PM
So the wife and I look to be driving out to Yellowstone later this month (Aug. 15th-21) . Any tips or tricks you could advise based on what BigSky told you? Obviously this is more last minute but the more information the better.

Any advice for a bit more last minute? I don't want to be so presumptuous as to msg you directly.

Gosh I have a spreadsheet if you send me your email. I learned a lot being there, I have a few tips for sure.

DanISSELisdaman
08-06-2020, 07:37 AM
Yellowstone is an amazing place. I love it. I'm not sure which I liked best, it or Bryce canyon. Probably Yellowstone, because there is so much to see.

bigsky
08-06-2020, 10:24 AM
Hey I’d like to get your recommendations too

PedroDaGr8
08-06-2020, 01:14 PM
Gosh I have a spreadsheet if you send me your email. I learned a lot being there, I have a few tips for sure.

My Gmail address is the same as my username here. (I am avoiding typing it to prevent an uptick in spam). Thanks a bunch!

X2, Pedro. Please.

Can't get much more socially distanced than a supervolcano caldera.

Honestly, since COVID hit, work has been insane and I need a break. I am supporting pretty much all of our products that are NOT Covid tests, so that other company resources can focus on those. On top of that, the wife's birthday is Aug. 15th. I figured a trip to see nature (where we can keep away from people as much as possible) would be a much better celebration than my cooking. My cooking is FAR more likely to kill/injure her than COVID.

As for the risks involved: We are avid mask wearers having already been used to wearing them before the virus ever hit (me because of work, her because she's Asian). We chose natural scenery because we can ensure we keep distance. Hotel's are unavoidable but we anticipate minimizing the time we are in common areas and using AirBnB where possible. We also both enjoy long drives, so we plan to do a good amount of driving around just to see things. The wife is planning our stops and oddly enough she just asked if I had ever heard of Bozeman :sHa_dielaughing:.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2020, 02:27 PM
Pedro, it's interesting that you mentioned the mask wearing and your wife being used to it due to her culture and you being used to it because of your work. I was just talking with with my wife last night about how this pandemic is going to change my life forever in that regard. Before, I will admit that when I saw someone wearing a mask I always thought it was strange. Now, even after we substantially beat this thing, I anticipate I will be wearing masks in stores, and other areas in which the public congregates for years to come. Just seems like a smart thing to do.

CitizenBBN
08-06-2020, 07:13 PM
The Asian custom of wearing a mask when you yourself are ill seems to be to be polite. I dont' think wearing one when you are healthy, once this is over, is as desirable, but if we could adopt the view that it is rude to go around coughing and sneezing on people when you are sick that would be dandy.

A lot of people try to avoid others and do things to not spread the disease, but the forceful step of wearing a mask is obviously much more effective, both in physical terms and also putting others on notice to not be too close, shake hands, etc.

Now, back to this "break" of which you speak. Bc I'm pretty sure you can take one as soon as I can go out drinking again. :)

PedroDaGr8
08-07-2020, 01:31 PM
Pedro, it's interesting that you mentioned the mask wearing and your wife being used to it due to her culture and you being used to it because of your work. I was just talking with with my wife last night about how this pandemic is going to change my life forever in that regard. Before, I will admit that when I saw someone wearing a mask I always thought it was strange. Now, even after we substantially beat this thing, I anticipate I will be wearing masks in stores, and other areas in which the public congregates for years to come. Just seems like a smart thing to do.

The Asian custom of wearing a mask when you yourself are ill seems to be to be polite. I dont' think wearing one when you are healthy, once this is over, is as desirable, but if we could adopt the view that it is rude to go around coughing and sneezing on people when you are sick that would be dandy.

A lot of people try to avoid others and do things to not spread the disease, but the forceful step of wearing a mask is obviously much more effective, both in physical terms and also putting others on notice to not be too close, shake hands, etc.

In Asia, they also do it when any sickness starts becoming common, such as flu season; they do it whether they feel ill or not. It is definitely a societal focused view point but one I think we could stand to learn here.

Padukacat
08-08-2020, 09:44 PM
Sorry I haven’t responded to this lol try and get the laptop out and send you some stuff tomorrow Pedro.

PedroDaGr8
08-09-2020, 01:35 AM
Sorry I haven’t responded to this lol try and get the laptop out and send you some stuff tomorrow Pedro.No worries. You've had way way way more important things to worry about. If you don't get to it, I fully truly understand.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

KentuckyWildcat
08-09-2020, 08:29 AM
Before, I will admit that when I saw someone wearing a mask I always thought it was strange.

Me too

Never wore a mask before. But we would intentionally go places when people were not there. Partly because we are introverted and hate crowds, plus it is just easier to shop, eat, whatever. But also to avoid crowds for the flu and whatever else is out there.

bigsky
08-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Sorry I haven’t responded to this lol try and get the laptop out and send you some stuff tomorrow Pedro.

So I’d like your feedback. What to recommend not recommend etc.

Padukacat
08-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Pedro i sent you the spreadsheet i had via email, its pretty choppy to read but the info is in there. I didnt follow to a T but its a good timeline of approx what we did.

Bigsky, here is a little summary of what i would tell people, and if you guys have any specific questions i can certainly answer.

Lamar Valley and Hayden Valley time was very peaceful and the essence of being in a national park. Lamar Valley is awesome, and we did a hike up specimen ridge that day which was great, as well as a hike around trout lake which was quick and i'd highly recommend. Walked back behind Pebble Creek campground around the creek and it was awesome. Didnt get to hike back to the Hellroaring which was really the only thing i didnt get to do that i wanted to do in yellowstone on this trip. Mud pots around Hayden valley were cool, gotta love the smell. The yellowstone river running through Hayden valley...

Geyser Basins i had heard many say were over-rated even though they are the biggest attraction, but it was very cool to see the first time and we loved it, great for families with kids just be safe of course. Again, find some good hikes to take and see some things off the beaten path, waterfalls, hot pots, man we had a GOLDEN day of luck after struggling to time the first few geysers out, we walked by one that goes off once a day and there were 5 people there mostly rangers watching it go off....we were like oh wait what is this. Total Luck. Watched Grand and Castle geysers go off which are must. Did a hike to grand prismatic overlook another day, and a great hike to the base of a waterfall across from the mid geyser basin i believe.

Grand Canyon area is awesome and worth a lot of time, good to combine with Hayden Valley day and a yellowstone lake drive. We saw wolves in Hayden valley, glad i borrowed a spotting scope from a friend. Wish we had hike hayden valley area but didnt. Yellowstone lake was a bit boring, we went in the hotel but most of it was closed, but if it was open would like to eat there and go to the bar, heard its good.

The remainder of the park is just as good for relaxing and enjoying. I recommend doing a hike every day, short ones if you think you dont have time or family will get tired. Youll remember "doing" things vs seeing things and moving too fast. I would definitely pay the extra to stay in the park due to driving times. We stayed about 30-40 min outside of the park, which we really loved, but if you are short on time stay in the park when it opens back up. I believe the best location to stay to access the park from outside would be the west yellowstone gate. Always get to the gate by 7:30 or so to avoid bison jams and visitors. One thing I will say is that if you get up early and get in the park its beautiful and crowds are low and temps are perfect, get up at sunrise drink a coffee and head into the park, but you will be wiped out by 3 pm every day. If we were staying in the park we could have rested up and got back at it, but staying 40 min away made it difficult, and hard to enjoy both of the best times to be at the park which are early and late in the day.

One place i missed mentioning is the Firehole swimming area, which was closed for social distancing, which we ignored since we were alone and jumped off the cliffs (20+ feet). I wont forget that. Also, i wanted to do some of the Tetons and the southwest region (hiking) of the park but ran out of time. Best advice would be to not rush and just enjoy what you can and plan to come back and do what you miss, which is what we will have to do and i cannot wait to get back.

Sorry for the literary nightmare that is this giant run on sentence with misplaced commas, but hopefully this helps. I'm here for questions.

badrose
08-31-2020, 07:26 PM
I'd love to go to Yellowstone if I knew Kelly Reilly would be there. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNjgzMzk2MjEzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTkzMDEwMTE@._ V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Padukacat
08-31-2020, 10:00 PM
I'd love to go to Yellowstone if I knew Kelly Reilly would be there. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNjgzMzk2MjEzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTkzMDEwMTE@._ V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Actually she’s the only one left I hear

blueboss
09-01-2020, 07:09 PM
Actually she’s the only one left I hear

Spoiler alert!!

Hard to believe she would have survived that blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
09-02-2020, 11:01 AM
Yellowstone blew and it did not make the news?

Padukacat
04-01-2021, 08:50 PM
Boy do I have a story for you guys...but it’ll have to wait until after next week. In fact I’ll probably be able to link the story from the national news.

CitizenBBN
04-01-2021, 09:31 PM
How do you keep a fool in suspense?

I'll tell you tomorrow.....

:)

Padukacat
04-01-2021, 10:21 PM
How do you keep a fool in suspense?

I'll tell you tomorrow.....

:)

Just google Yellowstone articles around sept 4th and that’s my teaser.

CitizenBBN
04-01-2021, 10:33 PM
I found a few stories from that day. I'm keen to know which one is you. Hoping it's not the guy streaking with elk. ;)

Doc
04-08-2021, 07:12 AM
Dale..... trip advice from you. We are headed to Palm Springs over July 4th for a week. We plan to play croquet with the little white balls and clubs (aka golf), but are looking for options while there. Joshua Tree has come up what else? Just me and my wife, no kids

Also headed to Alaska in early August. Anybody been? We are in Anchorage, Homar, then glacier train to Seward. Going to kayak in Homer, do a Kenlai river float and some white water rafting.Seward has a glacier cruise we have booked as well. Anybody got other suggestions?

KentuckyWildcat
04-08-2021, 09:01 AM
Also headed to Alaska in early August. Anybody been? We are in Anchorage, Homar, then glacier train to Seward. Going to kayak in Homer, do a Kenlai river float and some white water rafting.Seward has a glacier cruise we have booked as well. Anybody got other suggestions?

I wish Doc. This thread covers two trips that are top of my bucket list. Alaska being the top.

I work with a guy that has literally seen the world. Most of it more than once. I can always ask him any questions if ever needed. Just let me know if I need to.

blueboss
04-08-2021, 11:20 AM
Dale..... trip advice from you. We are headed to Palm Springs over July 4th for a week. We plan to play croquet with the little white balls and clubs (aka golf), but are looking for options while there. Joshua Tree has come up what else? Just me and my wife, no kids

Alaska is very buggy in the summer.

dan_bgblue
04-11-2021, 09:55 AM

Truth, but the alternative is it is damn cold in the winter and river activities are limited to ice fishing and skating.

Doc
04-11-2021, 10:56 AM

We can live with that. We spent 2 weeks in Africa a few years back... there the "bugs" are size of birds. The horseflies were the size of quarters and when they nailed you, you knew it. We got some special spray from Bass Pro Shops that you spray on your clothes days before hand, and it last 2-3 washings. Problem is it read as "explosive" in TSA. That was not fun!!!!

Padukacat
04-16-2021, 12:10 PM
I found a few stories from that day. I'm keen to know which one is you. Hoping it's not the guy streaking with elk. ;)

Well, i think the trial is still being deliberated by the judge but should be a decision soon. Until then ill advance my story to say in my planning i found a podcast, and in the podcast the guy mentions to do some cliff jumping(which we had been doing some during the summer locally due to covid and nothing to do indoors), and in my planning i planned for us to sneak in there and cliff jump with my boy, cliff jumping area is closed due to covid and its also not legal to cliff jump, podcaster asks me for a video and posts it on social media, podcaster gets arrested and i get asked to testify two weeks before the trial (for that and many other things he has said and done), and i spent a few hours testifying to the feds over spring break in my hotel room in florida. Really glad i didnt have to fly out there as originally was told, and also glad i got immunity and no fine/jail time. Moral of the story, dont cliff jump in yellowstone and dont send a podcaster the video if he asks. I think they were watching him close and ready to pounce the minute they saw that video. It was my son doing a front flip from about 20' up. Hey i checked the depth...

bigsky
04-16-2021, 01:13 PM
We used to cliff jump all the time into the Firehole river along Firehole drive. One jump into to the pool and one up river into a rapids.

Padukacat
04-16-2021, 09:33 PM
We used to cliff jump all the time into the Firehole river along Firehole drive. One jump into to the pool and one up river into a rapids.

The park actually advertised it at one point. It’s in the podcast lol.