PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Source of Information

Bakert
05-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Below is a link to a site I have found that looks very interesting. It is run, in part, by Raj Chetty who is on his way to a Nobel Prize. Chetty has done some very interesting "big data" work on a number of topics. Here is his Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raj_Chetty

The link below allows you to look at some things in a variety of different ways. It also allows you to download the data and do your own analyses. Have fun!!

https://tracker.opportunityinsights.org/

dan_bgblue
05-09-2020, 12:49 PM
Based on the spike in the chart, it is not surprising that grocery stores had mostly empty shelves for a short span of time.

One charted expenditure that surprised the heck out of me, but in hind sight it really should not be a surprise, but in KY the spending on hospital care was off 39% over the norm for the period from early March thru today. Those 250 claimed covid deaths in the state have been damn expensive to the health care community.

Bakert
05-09-2020, 01:20 PM
Based on the spike in the chart, it is not surprising that grocery stores had mostly empty shelves for a short span of time.

One charted expenditure that surprised the heck out of me, but in hind sight it really should not be a surprise, but in KY the spending on hospital care was off 39% over the norm for the period from early March thru today. Those 250 claimed covid deaths in the state have been damn expensive to the health care community.

What's really interesting about the drop in spending on hospital care is the decrease in people showing up for "normal" health issues. For example, the number of people who are showing up with heart issues or strokes has dropped quite a bit. The explanation is that people are afraid of catching the coronavirus. I can say that for me, at the first symptom of a heart attack not only am I going to the hospital, but I will be going to the front of the line. :) You can die in a matter of minutes due to heart attack; there is at least some time to trea Covid-19.

KentuckyWildcat
05-09-2020, 02:02 PM
I can say that for me, at the first symptom of a heart attack not only am I going to the hospital, but I will be going to the front of the line. :) You can die in a matter of minutes due to heart attack; there is at least some time to trea Covid-19.

Careful, they about killed me for having chest pains lol. Had a rare reaction the nitroglycerin pills. The chest pains turned to be a reaction of something I have called EoE.

dan_bgblue
05-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Well they also trimmed ALL elective procedures down to zero at the Medical Center in Bowling Green. I do not know that the same actions were being taken at Greenview Hospital or not. In January I visited my vascular surgeon for a scan and a check up. He wanted to fix a small problem and scheduled the procedure for April 14. On April 8 his office called me and said they had to postpone the procedure. Hospital was under orders to not accept any elective procedures until further notice.

If the hospital could not fill their beds, or's, labs, testing devices up with Covid business they were losing money. They have been losing a ton of money every day since early March.

KeithKSR
05-09-2020, 03:13 PM
Well they also trimmed ALL elective procedures down to zero at the Medical Center in Bowling Green. I do not know that the same actions were being taken at Greenview Hospital or not. In January I visited my vascular surgeon for a scan and a check up. He wanted to fix a small problem and scheduled the procedure for April 14. On April 8 his office called me and said they had to postpone the procedure. Hospital was under orders to not accept any elective procedures until further notice.

If the hospital could not fill their beds, or's, labs, testing devices up with Covid business they were losing money. They have been losing a ton of money every day since early March.

Elective medical procedures in Kentucky were cut off completely on March 19 or 26th, I don’t recall which.

Some people in Kentucky are still waiting on March unemployment checks, the tardy checks caused them to spend stimulus funds on regular bills. In addition a lot of specialty type stores have been closed, which has cut out purchasing some items.

Bakert
05-09-2020, 04:53 PM
Careful, they about killed me for having chest pains lol. Had a rare reaction the nitroglycerin pills. The chest pains turned to be a reaction of something I have called EoE.

Yikes! Hope you are doing better, if this was recently.

KentuckyWildcat
05-09-2020, 08:17 PM
I'm better now. But a heart rate of 12 was interesting lol

Edit: I guess this was about two years ago now.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk