PDA

View Full Version : Capiluto Says UK Will Open in Fall On Campus

dtalbersjr
05-01-2020, 12:06 PM
Baby steps, but great news!

https://www.uky.edu/coronavirus/updates/how-we-reinvent-normal-our-campus

KeithKSR
05-01-2020, 12:18 PM
That is not surprising. All the talk about a “new normal” has been overblown.

LakeCat
05-01-2020, 12:21 PM
I believe institutional leaders are finally realizing that blindly following every edict that has come from CDC officials who have shown their incompetence for decades would literally destroy that entity.

dan_bgblue
05-01-2020, 12:22 PM
Did he indicate whether Lord Andy had given his blessing on this move?

StuBleedsBlue2
05-01-2020, 12:49 PM
That is not surprising. All the talk about a “new normal” has been overblown.

The title of the article is 'How we Reinvent Normal for our Campus'.

Of all the plans that I have seen, this is actually a good one for one basic criteria, a plan to transition back to a stay-at-home strategy.

There is very little in this plan to suggest that an old normal is what people will be returning to. There may never be a return to the "old normal". Major life events lead to changes, for the better. I suspect this will too.

kybobcat
05-01-2020, 01:19 PM
The UK President can say whatever he wants to say.

The Kentucky Governor will decide when the Kentucky colleges can open.

KentuckyWildcat
05-01-2020, 01:45 PM

Fully agree. Even tried to explain this to my college for 2 weeks. No one believed me. However, at some point, someone will tell the Governor we are reopening and he will listen.

Harlow
05-01-2020, 01:48 PM
I love it great UNIVERSITY

Bakert
05-01-2020, 02:48 PM
I love it great UNIVERSITY

You define great a bit differently than I do, apparently.

How would you like to be a physician in the med school, or an immunologist and hear the President of the university state that what you do is of no consequence compared to getting people back on campus?

These people who somehow believe the group they have coffee with at their local Hardee's on Saturday morning know more than people who make a living doing this amaze me.

And while the majority is not always correct, 81% of the people in KY approve of how Beshear has handled this situation, second only the the 83% approval Mike DeWine has.

In the end those that sounded tha alarm may proven to be wrong. But I would much rather have the alarm sounded and it be unnecessary than the alternative. If you don't, the first time you have what feels like a heart attack, dont worry about it. Just pop open a PBR, open that bag of pork rinds, and go right on watching Masterpiece Theater.

Bakert
05-01-2020, 02:53 PM
Having read it closer there is nothing of substance in that. The usual BS adminstrative gobbledygook you get from people who gave up on life and became administrators.

"Hey, we may be in class or not. We may have online or not!! Who the f*@k knows!!"

Pure PR BS that coincides with the date the Ivy League schools have for admission decisions.

Of course UK, and almost every university, will be "open." It's just what open means.

dtalbersjr
05-01-2020, 03:00 PM
Beshear is popular because:

1) he’s not Bevin and
2) people are scared and he gives a press conference every day and talks a lot.

It’s not a bad strategy, but it does nothing to actually address the underlying issues we’re facing.

Once people realize Beshear is not actually DOING anything (bottom 20% in per capita testing, nearly 600,000 new unemployment claims in 6 weeks, can’t get claims from March paid by the end of April, already asking the Federal government to fix what is gonna be a $300-500 million budget shortfall, etc.) that number will plummet.

Bakert
05-01-2020, 03:03 PM

1) he’s not Bevin and

It’s not a bad strategy, but it does nothing to actually address the underlying issues we’re facing.

Once people realize Beshear is not actually DOING anything (bottom 20% in per capita testing, nearly 600,000 new unemployment claims in 6 weeks, can’t get claims from March paid by the end of April, already asking the Federal government to fix what is gonna be a $300-500 million budget shortfall, etc.) that number will plummet.

I'll put you down as a "no" vote - thanks!

ShoesSwayedBlue
05-01-2020, 03:05 PM
Same thing Barnhart is saying about football and for the same reasons.

KSRBEvans
05-01-2020, 03:14 PM
Great to have a plan.

Sometimes plans work as written, and sometimes plans change based on circumstances. Nobody knows nothing--yet.

Terry Blue
05-01-2020, 03:17 PM
Prince Andy is a combination of Mr.Rogers, Barney Fife, and a 4th grade teacher

Bakert
05-01-2020, 03:31 PM
Great to have a plan.

Sometimes plans work as written, and sometimes plans change based on circumstances. Nobody knows nothing--yet.

Words to live by.

KentuckyWildcat
05-01-2020, 03:40 PM
And while the majority is not always correct, 81% of the people in KY approve of how Beshear has handled this situation, second only the the 83% approval Mike DeWine has.

He started out well, but people seem to be getting tired of him. Right or wrong. Like him or not. That seems to be the trend around here at least.

UKHistory
05-01-2020, 04:39 PM

1) he’s not Bevin and

He was quick to close things down. He and the state government have been very good working with churches. He very early on said those who would hike prices to profit on the suffering would be charged. Heads of state make tough decisions but are elected to lead and demonstrate a sense of calm.

Beshear has done that right from the beginning. I have been pleased with him.

Basket Case
05-01-2020, 06:21 PM
He started out well, but people seem to be getting tired of him. Right or wrong. Like him or not. That seems to be the trend around here at least.

Yep. Remember when George W Bush had a 90% approval? Of course he finished in the 20s. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in someone's approval at the beginning of a crisis.

MickintheHam
05-01-2020, 08:27 PM

Randy Andy won’t touch this.... Unless, of course he comes out in support of Capilouto when it dawns on him that he is falling behind the curve of public sentiment. I’ve seen no evidence he can deal with the financial issues facing the Commonwealth. Capilouto knows unless there is a bankruptcy declared he is taking the only responsible actionhe can.

Terry Blue
05-02-2020, 09:28 AM
After Biden fully funded teacher's pensions, Beshear has followed his Dad's example and we're back deeper in the Red

MickintheHam
05-03-2020, 01:07 AM
After Biden fully funded teacher's pensions, Beshear has followed his Dad's example and we're back deeper in the Red

Beshear is writing checks he can't cover. He's hopeful all the states get a Federal bailout. There is a serious day of reckoning coming for the Kentucky taxpayer.

Catonahottinroof
05-03-2020, 08:51 AM
Teachers pension fund floated along because their investments were strong with good returns. I doubt that is the case now given the current economic situation. Bevin bought it some time by funding it properly....and now Andy has followed in his father’s footsteps of shorting it again. Reckoning day is coming and it may well come within Beshear’s term as governor.

catmanjack
05-03-2020, 09:38 AM
Sad part is all the teachers voted for ole Andy.

Terry Blue
05-03-2020, 09:44 AM
Teachers Union has brainwashed teachers for decades

catmanjack
05-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Most just worry about the pension.

Catonahottinroof
05-03-2020, 10:30 AM
Both of my parents are retired and living on that particular pension. It’s solvency is of particular importance to me.....

CitizenBBN
05-03-2020, 04:22 PM
There is very little in this plan to suggest that an old normal is what people will be returning to. There may never be a return to the "old normal". Major life events lead to changes, for the better. I suspect this will too.

We've gone through this before, with much worse results.

It did help encourage an appreciation for the outdoors and "fresh air" and did make people more aware of basic hygiene, but it had no real long term effects on social interaction, gathering, etc.

And it won't this time. This too shall pass, it will become another thing people get like the flu, and we'll go back to a "normal" level of socialization.

Why? B/c humans are social beings, programmed to their tribal behaviors, and we won't have evolved enough over just this to change in the long run. We'll tweak things for a while, but over the next few years things will inexorably return to a level of normal.

People may finally all learn to sneeze into their elbows, which was always a smart move, and maybe even wear a mask when they're sick like in Asia, but it will be those kinds of tweaks, not major social upheaval.

We know that to be the case b/c we've done this before, and that's what happened. About the only thing that's questionable is hand shakes may fall out of favor. We'll see on that one, it has strong reasons for being used in Western culture, but i could see us going to a more Asian model there as well.

CitizenBBN
05-03-2020, 04:24 PM

The phrase I most hear is that he acts like he's talking to children, not grown adults. Even among his supporters, who still think he's done a good job, they're getting a little tired of the lecturing tone.

dan_bgblue
05-03-2020, 06:22 PM
About the only thing that's questionable is hand shakes may fall out of favor. We'll see on that one, it has strong reasons for being used in Western culture, but i could see us going to a more Asian model there as well.

I would have to learn how to frown a lot. Bowing and simpering was never part of my social training.

CitizenBBN
05-03-2020, 06:32 PM
I would have to learn how to frown a lot. Bowing and simpering was never part of my social training.

I don't think it will happen but I think some will prefer to not shake hands. We already have that happening some. I have a few clients who would fist bump etc. before this started. I can see that increasing a lot, but still not sure it gets to a majority of interactions.

You learn a lot from shaking someone's hand, and it's deeply ingrained in greetings and agreements. I think it will be less popular for a few years, then flow back into more use.

dan_bgblue
05-03-2020, 07:05 PM
I probably embarrassed some of my customers that wanted to fist bump my outstretched open hand over the last 3 or 4 years but they quickly realized I was not going to make a fist and they shook my hand. They also never forgot the lesson. I will wear a mask if it makes sense. I have worn then in the past and never thought about it.