PDA

View Full Version : Layoffs and furloughs not just for the private sector anymore

bigsky
04-20-2020, 09:10 AM
Coming to a university or state or local govt near you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2020/04/19/college-furloughs-have-begun/#3b98be9723cd

MickintheHam
04-20-2020, 10:39 AM
Coming to a university or state or local govt near you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2020/04/19/college-furloughs-have-begun/#3b98be9723cd

Now if we could just find a way to furlough Bout 30% of the Federal workers too, it would be a positive step.

bigsky
04-20-2020, 10:59 AM
Now if we could just find a way to furlough Bout 30% of the Federal workers too, it would be a positive step.

Seems low

KSRBEvans
04-20-2020, 11:23 AM
Mrs. BEvans is a librarian with the city of Louisville and they got notice on Friday that they are furloughed effective 1 May. They've always been considered essential employees, believe it or not, but I guess some employees are more essential than others.

She's OK with it. She's retiring in August, anyway, and will bring home more $ with the state/federal unemployment than what she was bringing home before. I hope she can stay furloughed indefinitely.

KSRBEvans
04-20-2020, 11:24 AM

Hey, I represent that remark.

UKHistory
04-20-2020, 12:12 PM
I fall into that category too. Don’t wish anyone to be out of work. Grateful to be working.

MickintheHam
04-20-2020, 01:28 PM
Hey, I represent that remark.

no offense, but Federal government has never gone through the downsizing the rest of the country experienced in the 1990s and 2000s. It is bloated beyond any reasonable measure. No need for them to be entitled to privileged status. Downsize now while the opportunity exists. Departments all over DC should furlough staffs immediately to help pay for the phase two stimulus. I won't offer the essential workers bit, that would send the target well over 30%.

CitizenBBN
04-20-2020, 02:51 PM
no offense, but Federal government has never gone through the downsizing the rest of the country experienced in the 1990s and 2000s. It is bloated beyond any reasonable measure. No need for them to be entitled to privileged status. Downsize now while the opportunity exists. Departments all over DC should furlough staffs immediately to help pay for the phase two stimulus. I won't offer the essential workers bit, that would send the target well over 30%.

Yep, and sorry that includes some of my friends (some here, some elsewhere).

I've always been sober about this. I'm also for tax code simplification which would have put my ex-wife out of work, and we both agreed it was still the right thing for the country. Having armies of tax accountants and lawyers to try to keep what we earn from government hands is still an economic sump and an unnecessary zero-wealth creating industry that would be solved by the government simply not trying to take so much and producing a mess of a tax code.

I have many friends in academia too, but it is also bloated and has skewed spending priorities. Schools constantly say they have to charge these insane amounts for education b/c they have such high expenses, then they go on building sprees to replace perfectly usable 20 and 30 year old buildings.

government is a necessary evil, but we must pare it down to its minimum functions that concentrate power as little as possible. It's the only way liberty survives.