PDA

View Full Version : Hospital System I Work For Furloughed 3400 Workers For 12 Weeks Yesterday

Darryl
04-18-2020, 12:02 PM
Due to low census. 99% live paycheck to paycheck.

NBA players are up in arms because their pay MAY be cut 25% in the next month. Why are they getting paid AT ALL?

Darryl

Bakert
04-18-2020, 12:05 PM
That's horrible. Why would hospital employees be furloughed during a health emergency?

Patrick541
04-18-2020, 12:06 PM

NBA players are up in arms because their pay MAY be cut 25% in the next month. Why are they getting paid AT ALL?

Darryl

Healthcare seems in a tough position. Either they are stretched to the max, like in NYC, or the census is so low they get no work. My wife is a an occupational therapy assistant at a nursing home and her hours seem up and down.

Darryl
04-18-2020, 12:11 PM
That's horrible. Why would hospital employees be furloughed during a health emergency?

Tom, the census for most Hospitals is way down.

Those numbers are for the Southeast.

Darryl

KeithKSR
04-18-2020, 12:14 PM

Because governors have basically cut down non-emergency medical treatment. For much of the country there is no overburdening of medical services, but an underutilization of medical services.

UKRxman93
04-18-2020, 12:20 PM
Because governors have basically cut down non-emergency medical treatment. For much of the country there is no overburdening of medical services, but an underutilization of medical services.

Yep, and a whole different crisis is occurring now because of that.

westtncat
04-18-2020, 12:27 PM
lots of empty hospitals in my neck of the woods also. I know a couple that are going to New York to help because they don’t have enough patients here.

I personally am starting to believe that it isn’t as bad as what some are making it out to be. When you search and read things, some of the things just aren’t adding up. Especially when you see reports that some states are coding deaths as COVID and the patients didn’t have positive tests for it. New York added almost 4,000 2 days ago. Watched a video from a Dr in Montana that said that hospitals are being told to code patients with COVID, with no positive test and exhibiting just one symptom. Then of course, hospitals can charge more if it’s COVID related. It’s all about the money. IMO, we are not getting the true picture.

KeithKSR
04-18-2020, 12:33 PM
lots of empty hospitals in my neck of the woods also. I know a couple that are going to New York to help because they don’t have enough patients here.

I personally am starting to believe that it isn’t as bad as what some are making it out to be. When you search and read things, some of the things just aren’t adding up. Especially when you see reports that some states are coding deaths as COVID and the patients didn’t have positive tests for it. New York added almost 4,000 2 days ago. Watched a video from a Dr in Montana that said that hospitals are being told to code patients with COVID, with no positive test and exhibiting just one symptom. Then of course, hospitals can charge more if it’s COVID related. It’s all about the money. IMO, we are not getting the true picture.

Hospitals are getting extra funds to treat Covid19 patients, and then even more if a Covid19 patient dies. With a patient census that doesn’t allow them to cover expenses there is no way that hospitals can pass on the opportunity to bring in additional revenue.

dtalbersjr
04-18-2020, 12:34 PM

Darryl

They’re getting paid because over 75% of the season was completed.

That’s devastating news about your hospital system.

I have many issues with how this has been handled, but THE biggest is the banning of elective procedures in places like Kentucky and other places where the medical system was simply never going to be overwhelmed. I can’t speak for other states, but it was an idiotic panicked decision in Kentucky.

Not only did people unnecessarily lose their jobs for a wave that was never gonna happen in most of the country, it’s gonna diminish capacity when this is over. Just inexcusable.

dtalbersjr
04-18-2020, 12:34 PM

Because there is no health emergency in 90% of the country and was never going to be.

anderwt
04-18-2020, 12:48 PM
We are on the brink of having something way worse in our country than Covid-19..

Darryl
04-18-2020, 12:53 PM
We are on the brink of having something way worse in our country than Covid-19..

90% media driven. The local news almost gleefully reports more cases. I bet the ratings for every network is off the charts.

Darryl

UKRxman93
04-18-2020, 12:56 PM

100% agree. Praying something changes soon before we go over that brink.

dtalbersjr
04-18-2020, 12:56 PM

Not on the brink. We’re there.

More than 521,000 Kentuckians, as of early this week had filed NEW unemployment claims since March 16. As of yesterday, a TOTAL of 1,008 Kentuckians have been hospitalized, 360 are currently hospitalized, and 137 have died.

Those deaths are tragic, but that’s:

-3,802 Kentuckians who have lost their jobs for every 1 who has died; and
-517 Kentuckians who have lost their jobs for every 1 who has been hospitalized.

And those unemployment numbers don’t reflect this week’s claims.

The politicians claim they’re listening to the scientists and the doctors which sounds good. But they are relying on absolutely ridiculous models that anyone with an ounce of common sense could see had no basis in reality. And we’re all paying the price for it.

UKRxman93
04-18-2020, 12:58 PM
90% media driven. The local news almost gleefully reports more cases. I bet the ratings for every network is off the charts.

Darryl

It certainly feels that way doesn’t it?!? It’s serious no doubt, but the real trouble lies ahead unless something dramatic/game changing happens.

Darryl
04-18-2020, 01:06 PM
Latest stats in Alabama:

4,900,000 people in the state
4500 Covid-19 cases
113 deaths

Economic devastation is everywhere.

Darryl

bigsky
04-18-2020, 01:13 PM
Most Hospitals are artificially empty by governor fiat.

Darryl
04-18-2020, 01:23 PM
USA Population = 330,000,000 (probably can add another 20,000,000 illegal immigrants)

COVID cases = 717,000 (probably over inflated) for 0.2%

Deaths 33,000 (absolutely inflated) = 0.009%

Darryl

KentuckyWildcat
04-18-2020, 01:27 PM
Jennie Stuart in Christian County laid of 250 three weeks ago

Edit: that is a lot for Christian County

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

UKHistory
04-18-2020, 01:36 PM
Because hospitals make money on many elective procedures were are not taking place, they are strapped for cash

Bakert
04-18-2020, 01:39 PM
Curious how many here have had a family member or close friend be diagnosed with Covid-19.

MickintheHam
04-18-2020, 01:47 PM
Not on the brink. We’re there.

More than 521,000 Kentuckians, as of early this week had filed NEW unemployment claims since March 16. As of yesterday, a TOTAL of 1,008 Kentuckians have been hospitalized, 360 are currently hospitalized, and 137 have died.

Those deaths are tragic, but that’s:

-3,802 Kentuckians who have lost their jobs for every 1 who has died; and
-517 Kentuckians who have lost their jobs for every 1 who has been hospitalized.

And those unemployment numbers don’t reflect this week’s claims.

The politicians claim they’re listening to the scientists and the doctors which sounds good. But they are relying on absolutely ridiculous models that anyone with an ounce of common sense could see had no basis in reality. And we’re all paying the price for it.
Food bankshere are completely overwhelmed.

Bakert
04-18-2020, 02:11 PM
Easy fix - let's just pretend it's December 15 and party on!!

UKRxman93
04-18-2020, 03:07 PM
Curious how many here have had a family member or close friend be diagnosed with Covid-19.

I haven’t yet, but I’m not dismissing it out of hand at all Tom. Actions have consequences. I think many actions well intentioned are going to have far reaching and lasting consequences economically. The impact of this event will be felt far longer with deaths and adverse health outcomes far beyond what this virus will likely do. That is assuming the “models” are right today which is a big assumption based on recent performance.

By the way, I work in a pharmacy, I’m washing my hands, antibacterial/alcohol on them, social distancing etc. I know it’s NOT a hoax, but I think the steps to overcome it locally are causing more ultimate damage. I feel for those who’ve lost loved ones. I also blame the CCP, not the Chinese people, for lying about this every step of the way as well as the WHO. Lost lives and livelihoods are on their hands. I also want to applaud all those on the front lines dealing with this situation head on, doctors, nurses, first responders, grocery store workers, truckers etc.

KentuckyWildcat
04-18-2020, 03:26 PM
Curious how many here have had a family member or close friend be diagnosed with Covid-19.3 co-workers

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

bigsky
04-18-2020, 04:12 PM
We are all gonna get it and some of us have gotten it and didnt know it. Or thought it was something else. “Acclimatizing”!to yellow fever—see the Atlantic—is another term for “herd immunity”. Face it: we are in a new world. And people are getting it despite being soaked in bleach and sanitizer and doing all they can at their business. But right now there is one bed filled at Bozeman hospital—and 134/142 cases are recovered. No deaths. How much flatter can it get? And does an outbreak in a nursing home change the policies for the rest of us given how flat that curve is?!

Darryl
04-18-2020, 04:39 PM
Recent study in Alabama has 82% of the people who died from COViD19 also had at least one of these additional diseases/diagnoses:

1. Diabetes
2. COPD/Asthma
3. Heart disease/hypertension
4. Obesity

Darryl

bigsky
04-18-2020, 04:56 PM
600 laid off from one montana health care company.

bigsky
04-18-2020, 06:38 PM
And sorry for your co workers Darryl. Our hospital is practically empty. No icu beds are being used.

Government has stayed home except for LEO, but convenience and grocery store clerks work every day, many riding public transportation. There are two americas and those who get to stay at home and get fat like me, even if I have not, are in stark contrast to those who are slowly going broke and losing the american dream.

dan_bgblue
04-18-2020, 07:27 PM
Was President Trump correct when he said "we have this under control" ? And that was way before the federal piggy bank burst open and spewed out free money.

Doc
04-19-2020, 12:34 AM

President Biden?

dan_bgblue
04-19-2020, 07:41 AM
President Biden?

:sign0141:

MickintheHam
04-19-2020, 08:33 AM
President Biden?

More dire than that will be the Veep.

Doc
04-19-2020, 08:42 AM
More dire than that will be the Veep.

Hillary??

UKHistory
04-19-2020, 08:56 AM

Diagnosed is a key word. My mother and stepfather were very sick at the start of the pandemic. High fever, dry cough, fatigue.

Thankfully they never were hospitalized and as they were not on death door or elite rich they were never tested.

Their doctor was100% they focus 19. My family is not counted in the total number and absolutely are a Undocumented success stories.

bigsky
04-19-2020, 09:29 AM
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/coronavirus/in-preparing-for-the-coronavirus-montana-hospital-revenue-plunges/article_9828062f-d449-56a6-97dc-ee983ed2ada5.html. Health care view from Montana. Remember, roughly 93% of people diagnosed in my county have recovered. One person is hospitalized. No one has died. But we need to break every institution and business to “flatten the curve”. It’s just like Spanish Flu that killed 50-100 million people.

kingcat
04-19-2020, 11:38 AM
From say 60 or 70 of my family members and close friends, I do not know any that are not self isolated. All who are above the age of sixty, including a bunch of Aunts and Uncles very near or in their eighties are being brought food and supplies.
Donna and I are among the few in the mid sixties, if not the only ones who might visit a drive thru or enter a Walmart.

My 80 year old Uncle Joe and Aunt next door, avid Trump supporters and Fox news enthusiast. (more so than anyone here) have food left at their door and communicate with their children through windows. He did not believe in the existence of any virus until the moment the President acknowledged it.
His son and daughter-in-law are both successful nurses of many years and enforced the rules.

The same goes for all I know, including my Mother, Sister, and currently two nephews isolated at home since the onset. I am not allowed to visit nor will they open the door. I did deliver a take out meal to Mom when the thing started and left it at the door.

As for me, we have continued our extended family group of Donna and I, our two kids and their families while choosing the direction of trust and isolation among our family group. All the grand children stay at either our home or theirs, period,
We follow all other protocols religiously.

My Uncle ,and Mom's brother, passed in early February and we suspicion (as do my cousins in nursing) that it was Covid19. At the time in the same hospital my nephews elderly grandfather spent three or four weeks with an non diagnosed virus leading to double pneumonia. The family was called in as he remained on a ventilator for well over a week. He eventually survived.

Their illnesses suspiciously coincided, except my uncle who demanded to go and home passed by choice with the help of hospice. He was intubated after his oxygen levels suddenly fell of the charts and he coded while in Hardin Memorial.
He actually improved and the throat irritation and aspiration subsided but had totally given up and could/would not eat. He refused any doctors treatment after being told he needed a feeding tube and to enter a facility.
He was completely healthy three weeks earlier and no reason was given for his illness or subsequent death.

MickintheHam
04-19-2020, 01:19 PM
Hillary??
Kamala?

dan_bgblue
04-19-2020, 01:37 PM
Michelle

kingcat
04-19-2020, 01:56 PM
Michelle

Thats what I have maintained. But it may be Warren.

UKHistory
04-20-2020, 01:07 PM
From say 60 or 70 of my family members and close friends, I do not know any that are not self isolated. All who are above the age of sixty, including a bunch of Aunts and Uncles very near or in their eighties are being brought food and supplies.
Donna and I are among the few in the mid sixties, if not the only ones who might visit a drive thru or enter a Walmart.

My 80 year old Uncle Joe and Aunt next door, avid Trump supporters and Fox news enthusiast. (more so than anyone here) have food left at their door and communicate with their children through windows. He did not believe in the existence of any virus until the moment the President acknowledged it.
His son and daughter-in-law are both successful nurses of many years and enforced the rules.

The same goes for all I know, including my Mother, Sister, and currently two nephews isolated at home since the onset. I am not allowed to visit nor will they open the door. I did deliver a take out meal to Mom when the thing started and left it at the door.

As for me, we have continued our extended family group of Donna and I, our two kids and their families while choosing the direction of trust and isolation among our family group. All the grand children stay at either our home or theirs, period,
We follow all other protocols religiously.

My Uncle ,and Mom's brother, passed in early February and we suspicion (as do my cousins in nursing) that it was Covid19. At the time in the same hospital my nephews elderly grandfather spent three or four weeks with an non diagnosed virus leading to double pneumonia. The family was called in as he remained on a ventilator for well over a week. He eventually survived.

Their illnesses suspiciously coincided, except my uncle who demanded to go and home passed by choice with the help of hospice. He was intubated after his oxygen levels suddenly fell of the charts and he coded while in Hardin Memorial.
He actually improved and the throat irritation and aspiration subsided but had totally given up and could/would not eat. He refused any doctors treatment after being told he needed a feeding tube and to enter a facility.
He was completely healthy three weeks earlier and no reason was given for his illness or subsequent death.

Again my mother and stepfather had all the symptoms but never took a test. The doctors said they "thought" that they had COVID-19 but my family stayed at home, took meds (some my wife and I sent them so they wouldn't go out) and after their fevers finally broke, they have slowly recovered. Both in their 80s, I am thanking the Lord knowing many people were not so lucky.