PDA

View Full Version : Trump's Big Decision

ukpumacat
04-16-2020, 02:20 PM
https://www.foxnews.com/media/chris-wallace-trump-tremendous-political-ramifications-reopening-economy

I really agree with this. I think Trump's re-election will end up coming down to this decision.

If the re-opening goes well (however its done) and we don't see a huge spike, etc. And the economy is starting to get back...he wins re-election. If he opens too soon and we see another huge spike and another lockdown, it will kill his chances.

ukpumacat
04-16-2020, 04:41 PM
What I’m reading about this plan he is announcing: very wise move.
Backed down on the “total authority” thing and leaving it up to the Governors.

Politically, very smart. Because good or bad now He pass blame to them.

UKHistory
04-16-2020, 05:02 PM
For me it is interesting to see how much I am triggered by Trump's words whereas other so easily dismiss them out of hand.

That total authority garbage jumps get me angry. The mania from initial abdication to a power grab is hard to keep straight.

He reminds me a lot of Poncho Villa which is funny considering the wall. Some have said they have worked for people like this jackass. God bless your heart for working for someone like Trump.

A

MickintheHam
04-16-2020, 05:04 PM
For me it is interesting to see how much I am triggered by Trump's words whereas other so easily dismiss them out of hand.

That total authority garbage jumps get me angry. The mania from initial abdication to a power grab is hard to keep straight.

He reminds me a lot of Poncho Villa which is funny considering the wall. Some have said they have worked for people like this jackass. God bless your heart for working for someone like Trump.

A

Always judge a man by his actions, not his words.

CitizenBBN
04-16-2020, 06:25 PM
A

B/c as Mick said, words matter a lot less than actions.

Liberals for example shout to the rafters how much they care about Americans and working class folks, but they really don't do anything that helps them much. Their words sound reassuring, but their actions have created a massive drain on the middle class.

Never pay attention to the words of a politician, they don't mean anything at all.

Trump constantly says over the top stuff. He has yet to act on any of it, so why would it upset me?

CitizenBBN
04-16-2020, 06:45 PM
And, FWIW, there's a strong case that, depending on the severity of this crisis, the POTUS does have massive authority including authority over the states.

I'm a true Federalist. I believe federal power has gone far beyond anything we should allow under the Constitution, and in allowing that expansion we have concentrated power and thus concentrated corruption and elitism. I want to go back to a much more state based system.

BUT, the SCOTUS has upheld, rightly IMO , that in times of true crisis, we sometimes have to set aside even Constitutional protections on a temporary basis, and frankly, even when SCOTUS has dissented we have acted in that manner in real crisis.

Even though SCOTUS has repudiated Korematsu, which defended FDR's internment of Japanese Americans, history has shown that in times of extreme crisis even SCOTUS will let issues lay or defend them. FDR doesn't win that case if not for the high level of fear and uncertainty of the post Pearl Harbor period.

Further, Congress has explicitly granted the POTUS broad and sweeping powers that could easily be called "total", in times of crisis. Quick google to find a link found an article from The Atlantic, which hates Trump's utter guts:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/01/presidential-emergency-powers/576418/

So yes in fact during a "State of Emergency", his claim is pretty accurate. That can upset people, but it's an accurate statement.

And if this gets far worse, we're going to be glad he or any POTUS can do those things, b/c sometimes that's what it takes.

But actions wise he's been incredibly tempered. Once again proving that this "He's going to be a dictator" stuff is the biggest load of crap in the last 50 years of Presidential politics. It's utterly disproven now by years of empirical evidence.

it's like the announcers that used to talk about UK being a run and gun team 5 years after Pitino left and Tubby was coaching. There's a point at which it's just not the case, let it go. lol

Doc
04-16-2020, 07:09 PM
What I’m reading about this plan he is announcing: very wise move.
Backed down on the “total authority” thing and leaving it up to the Governors.

Politically, very smart. Because good or bad now He pass blame to them.

He will be blamed regardless. Those on the left won't give any alternate solution but criticize anything he does when even the slightest hiccup occurs (and it will). Of course he got blamed for not acting quick enough then criticized for acting like a totalitarian because he did not let the governor's take the lead in reopening. IE...where were the governors when it was time to call for a shutdown??? Why did THEY not do it 2 months ago, instead waiting for the President to make that call when clearly it was THEIRS to make

That said, this is the correct approach. Opening FL is going to be different than opening NYC. What I don't want to see is the federal gov't being blamed. They do a shitty enough job without being blamed for state issues.

ukpumacat
04-16-2020, 07:10 PM
Actions matter more than words. But words matter. Especially when its the President. They matter a lot.

With Trump, you do have to just ignore his words most of the time which is just plain ridiculous.

Having said all of that, the 3-phased plan he put out today is excellent.

Doc
04-16-2020, 07:12 PM

A

I see it the opposite. He was criticized for being slow to act then criticized for trying to act. Get the story straight. Where was all the clamor for states being in charge at the beginning?

Doc
04-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Trump is a bombastic blowhard. Of course the same could be said about any President. A big ego goes with the job. All the "I did this" and "I did that" and the magic pen that Obama possessed had the same effect on me, to the point I became immune and ignored it. Guess that is the only redeeming residual effect of his presidency, the ability for me to ignore the CIC's ego and self praising dialogue.

MickintheHam
04-16-2020, 07:50 PM
With Obama we would have had his rhetoric. His actions might have been more like the Michigan governor.

MickintheHam
04-16-2020, 08:47 PM
Trump endured unrelenting criticism for calling this the Chinese virus. The liberal mob labeled him Xenophobic. I said at the time it was Trump’s way to let the Chinese know he knew there was blood on their hands. As we learn more of the origins of the virus it appears he was exactly right that the Chinese engaged in cover up with the help of Who, the NYT, the WP, CNN and MSNBC who labeled it conspiracy theory. Whether it is conspiracy theory or not, it has enough merit to be thoroughly investigated. Unfortunately, the Chinese have too many friends in publishing, Congress, and American business. It is time to bring back the critical supply chain.

CitizenBBN
04-16-2020, 09:55 PM
Trump is a bombastic blowhard. Of course the same could be said about any President. A big ego goes with the job. All the "I did this" and "I did that" and the magic pen that Obama possessed had the same effect on me, to the point I became immune and ignored it. Guess that is the only redeeming residual effect of his presidency, the ability for me to ignore the CIC's ego and self praising dialogue.

Exactly.

The only difference between Trump and another President is that Trump is just way more blunt and you see his ego and his narcissism. The career in politics it usually takes to rise to that level trains the others to be very polished, very correct, say the right things.

Trump sure doesn't say the right things, but he's not an inherently worse person.

Clinton was accused of rape, and we know he was a misogynistic philanderer. Hillary, almost POTUS, is one of the most corrupt, self absorbed egotistical politicians in generations. JFK had hordes of issues. LBJ was a truly horrible person, who was known for showing his penis to staff and making them take notes and talk to them while he urinated in their line of sight. He called it "Jumbo" and was obsessed with it, among other things.

He has yet to do anything nearly as questionable constitutionally as Obama has done. Or any number of other Presidents.

What we have is a LOT of smoke, no fire, and people "triggered" to anger by the image and accusations about Trump, but not by anything he's actually done.

Yes words do matter, and I wish as much as anyone that he would be more restrained, more focused, more Presidential in every way.

As a person who wants to see much of his policy implemented I know he'd be WAY more effective if he were, but it's just now who he is or is going to be.

It's better than trying to implement the wrong policy or being corrupt. It's not what we want, but it's what we've got.